Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-125.html)

I could use some help from some of the BHPians.

Its been over 2 weeks that I have taken the delivery of my Honda City V MT Petrol. The accessories that I had planned for was as under:

1. Tyre upgrade - Already done (Michelin XM2s - all 5 tyres)
2. Seat Covers - Auto Form Seat Covers (Art Leather)
3. Anti-Corrosion Protection - Planning on 3M Anti-Corrossion Treatment
4. Paint Protection - Planning on 3M Paint Sealant Treament Essential
5. Floor Mats - Highly confused over here.

Sr. No. 3 & 4 should not be a problem. For Floor Mats, I am confused between Floor Lamination (Art Leather) + 4 Piece Floor mats (generic), 3D Mats and 3M nomad mats.

I had asked for 3D Floor Mats from one of the accessories shop and was informed that 3D Floor Mats for the New Honda City are not yet easily available.

I am not very keen on Floor Lamination + 4 Piece Floor Mats and not very sure of the 3M Nomad mats.

Can anybody tell me whether the 3M nomad mats are good enough to serve the purpose?

Also, am I missing out on any other essential accessory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3430473)
neel911 on this forum was in the same situation and later went ahead and had them painted white. You can check the following post on this thread itself: URL

Getting the reverse sensors painted in body color shouldn't be a problem I guess. I've got mine painted to C.Red from the dealer and find no issues so far in the sensitivity or operation of the sensors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loving_alaap (Post 3430320)
Dear all.

I am planning to replace stock tyres with Michellin XM2 195/60/15 or 3ST 195/65/15. I personally prefer later (extremely bad roads in my area, need some ride quality with stiffer suspensions) and have told tyre guy to do a thorough check. In case of doubt, will go with widely recommend former option.

Any reason you've shortlisted 3ST 195/65/15 as this isn't highly recommended on this forum by various members. Would be better to stick to 195/60/15 even for 3 ST I believe.

Thanks guys.
I am with SV CVT and enjoying every moment. Will write a detailed review with photos soon.

Ranjit: I got reverse parking camera (mirror) with sensors. Sensors are in black. However, they look ok in U/T colour. No issues at all.

Geotracks: indeed it was tough choice between Duster and City. I was preferring Duster as 20-25% of my daily commute is literaly off roading. I dropped Duster because,
1. Heavy clutch on 5 month old TD 85 PS Vehicle. My leg was paining at the end of 1 hour TD. Not at all suitable for Bangalore b2b traffic.
2. Famous door rattles and maintenance/ASS issues with Renault. Having own Honda (City) and Hyundai (Santro), I know what reliability is.
3. Family was liking Honda's comfort and premium feel over Duster's poor quality interiors. They simply felt that Honda is a premium / Royal car. In case Duster would have been offering AT, I might have been convinced them for Duster.

ShailK: I have to negotiate bad and uneven roads on daily basis. Honda City's stiff suspensions only added more worries. I needed higher profile tyres to have better cushioning on those roads. I have read couple of team bhpians who installed 195/65/15 in earlier city and they are pretty happy with them. I wanted to try in this City.

Now, I have a major concern regarding tyre upgrade. SE of Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle very clearly told me that any change in tyre width or diameter will void warranty. It will have issues in claim settlements.
He even told me that if you are upgrading tyres, there is no point in taking expensive zero dep insurance as tyre upsize will result in to claim rejection in case of accident or manufacturing problems.

I am really confused and need your opinion about warranty in case of tyre upgrade. Mods can help us out.

I have taken zero dep insurance only and wanted to upgrade latest by tomorrow to get good deal for stock goodyear tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loving_alaap (Post 3431072)
Thanks guys.
I am with SV CVT and enjoying every moment. Will write a detailed review with photos soon.

Ranjit: I got reverse parking camera (mirror) with sensors. Sensors are in black. However, they look ok in U/T colour. No issues at all.

Geotracks: indeed it was tough choice between Duster and City. I was preferring Duster as 20-25% of my daily commute is literaly off roading. I dropped Duster because,
1. Heavy clutch on 5 month old TD 85 PS Vehicle. My leg was paining at the end of 1 hour TD. Not at all suitable for Bangalore b2b traffic.
2. Famous door rattles and maintenance/ASS issues with Renault. Having own Honda (City) and Hyundai (Santro), I know what reliability is.
3. Family was liking Honda's comfort and premium feel over Duster's poor quality interiors. They simply felt that Honda is a premium / Royal car. In case Duster would have been offering AT, I might have been convinced them for Duster.

ShailK: I have to negotiate bad and uneven roads on daily basis. Honda City's stiff suspensions only added more worries. I needed higher profile tyres to have better cushioning on those roads. I have read couple of team bhpians who installed 195/65/15 in earlier city and they are pretty happy with them. I wanted to try in this City.

Now, I have a major concern regarding tyre upgrade. SE of Magnum Honda, Mekhri Circle very clearly told me that any change in tyre width or diameter will void warranty. It will have issues in claim settlements.
He even told me that if you are upgrading tyres, there is no point in taking expensive zero dep insurance as tyre upsize will result in to claim rejection in case of accident or manufacturing problems.

I am really confused and need your opinion about warranty in case of tyre upgrade. Mods can help us out.

I have taken zero dep insurance only and wanted to upgrade latest by tomorrow to get good deal for stock goodyear tyres.

Congratulations once again. Great choice!

I agree, Duster & Honda City are 2 different classes of automobiles. Duster will have a 'less premium' feel than a Honda City, but then that is by design, given that at almost a similar cost (INR 10L to 12L +-) one is getting a 'SUV'. You are also correct about the rattles & ASS.

The clutch for the 85 you TD, may be older. Reason I say this, I got a chance to TD a 2014 85PS Duster and Renault has improved on the clutch. It no more feels 'hard' as much as what was the earlier versions may have had. Actually I was told only the 110PS earlier versions had hard clutch issues which is now fixed by Renault. The 85 PS never had this problem I was told. Of course all said and done, it still is nowhere close to Honda City's manual clutch. After the 85PS TD, I drove my Honda back and the clutch on my Honda after that really felt 'wow'. You of course are miles ahead now and sitting a lap of comfort :) with your Honda City automatic.....ultimate feel of comfort & elegance!

On the tyre change, I also had similar question. I am no expert nor did I do much research on tyre upgrade when we purchased our Honda City. But just because all on forums were saying Michelin were 'preferred' over any other brand of stock tyres, I asked the same question to my SA at the time. I was also told then, the same thing - changing or swapping the stock to any other brand or even the same brand will void manufacturers warrantee.

In fact my request was even simpler. My Honda City came with MRF as stock tyres. I asked if they could swap mine with say Michelin from another new City parked in the dealer yard. What the SA told me is that Honda maintains very strict inventory control on ALL Honda vehicles sold worldwide. Hence when a Honda car rolls out of the factory, each and every part serial number is entered into their inventory system for accurate tracking in years to come. So even if dealer swaps tyres, the serial numbers of swapped tyres will not match in Honda system records and hence Honda will not honor warrantee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geotracks (Post 3429973)
Very true and I agree. I have tried this a few times.....after a tankful initially the gauge drops slowly. Close to the 1/4th tank mark, it just starts dropping very fast.
e.g. I have filled the tank with auto stop a the gas station. Until 1/2 tank I have driven 225 kms for example, I cannot say with certainty that the remaining 1/2 tank capacity will take me close to another 225 kms. In fact after another say 160 kms, the gauge really dips close to the "E" mark. Then if I fill up at the gas station, it takes in about 26 liters with auto stop.

So if I take 225 + 160 = 385
Thus FE approximately in regular city suburb driving will be 385/26 = 14.8+- kmpl approx.

Even though the tank fill capacity takes only 26 liters approximately after the needle is almost on "E', logically speaking there should be another 14+ liters (assuming Honda City claims to have 40+ liters tank capacity as per brochure). Which would translate into the car going another 210 kms (14 liters * 15 kmpl). I very much doubt it would go even another 100 kms. Never tried it as do not want to try and test and be stranded without fuel.

Thus, with an average of about 15 kmpl in suburbs, which is very decent that Honda City's I-VTEC engine gives, making trips the gas station every 385 km once every 9 to 10 days, I personally feel is too frequent. Would have been good if the Honda City had around 50 liters fuel tank capacity.

The slow dipping of the fuel gauge initially and then going down faster after the half line or the 1/4th line is noticeable in my i20(CRDi) too. I have always noticed. Up until the half tank, I would have done 450-500 (highway) And I end up with 250-max 300 when the gauge hits E. So I do not think it is an issue with Honda's fuel gauge.

Also when you are talking about Auto Stop top ups at the fuel station, you are apparently not filling the tank to the brim. And I believe any car manufacturer would measure capacity at this place (brim) and then minus a few liters (usually 5-6) and put it up as the capacity. So the point you make saying you may already have 14 liters in your tank when your gauge shows you are empty might not be true. You can void this assumption by doing a top up fill up to the brim on your next visit. (Am sure you would end up filling 30-32 liters instead of 26)

PS: My i20 swallows 8-10 liters after the auto stop. And this depends on the density of the fuel depending on the time of day of the visit to the fuel station. The frothing factor will cause an early auto stop in the noon than it does during early mornings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by connect2prashan (Post 3431115)
Also when you are talking about Auto Stop top ups at the fuel station, you are apparently not filling the tank to the brim. And I believe any car manufacturer would measure capacity at this place (brim) and then minus a few liters (usually 5-6) and put it up as the capacity. So the point you make saying you may already have 14 liters in your tank when your gauge shows you are empty might not be true. You can void this assumption by doing a top up fill up to the brim on your next visit. (Am sure you would end up filling 30-32 liters instead of 26)

Thanks for your detailed response. So then it must have something to do with the shape of the gas tank that the automobile manufacturers have agreed on where the top may be broader holding more fuel as compared to narrower bottom holding proportionately less fuel.

I have tried to fill up after auto-stop like you suggested. One time I tried it, it took in maximum a little less than 3 liters, I believe. That could have been because the person filling up was doing so fast & in a hurry so a bit of fuel overflowed. But I am going to try again instructing the guy filling up, to do so very slowly to avoid early spills. Maybe what you say makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by connect2prashan (Post 3431115)
The slow dipping of the fuel gauge initially and then going down faster after the half line or the 1/4th line is noticeable in my i20(CRDi) too. I have always noticed. Up until the half tank, I would have done 450-500 (highway) And I end up with 250-max 300 when the gauge hits E. So I do not think it is an issue with Honda's fuel gauge.

To a certain extent this happens in my Vista too, so I guess it is a universal phenomena.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yash1229 (Post 3428812)
Found the Honda City 2014 Philippines advertisement on YouTube. Wish we could have this beautiful ICE here! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vokDqnNl2Q

The Philippines Honda City 2014 ad is great!! I have a doubt.. The ad features TOUCH SCREEN AUDIO...Is this a feature also available in Indian Honda City 2014 ( VX-CVT) ????...Can anyone comment pl ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srik65 (Post 3431621)
The Philippines Honda City 2014 ad is great!! I have a doubt.. The ad features TOUCH SCREEN AUDIO...Is this a feature also available in Indian Honda City 2014 ( VX-CVT) ????...Can anyone comment pl ?

No, the V/VX also gets the same Non-Touch Screen 5 inch system. Although there was a discussion earlier where some folks reported that the Blaupunkt San Diego can be fit to the 2014 City at an additional cost 6,000 apart from the cost of the Touch Screen System @ approx.28,500.


Quote:

Originally Posted by geotracks (Post 3431114)
I was also told then, the same thing - changing or swapping the stock to any other brand or even the same brand will void manufacturers warrantee. So even if dealer swaps tyres, the serial numbers of swapped tyres will not match in Honda system records and hence Honda will not honor warrantee.

Yes, Honda Dealers have been consistent in their messaging and they do not encourage upgrade of tyres etc. All of us who went ahead have gone ahead in spite of the advices made by Honda dealers. I believe this has been the same story since the earlier generations of Honda City as well and Honda has maintained the same tyre specifications. Also, its not the entire warranty that goes void but it would be the warranty on Steering and Suspension based on some further clarifications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loving_alaap (Post 3430320)
A big thank you to all for indirectly helping me in my decision. It was a close fight between City and Duster (25% of daily office commute is off roading) but finally City wins on account of family members.

Geotracks: indeed it was tough choice between Duster and City. I was preferring Duster as 20-25% of my daily commute is literaly off roading. I dropped Duster because,
1. Heavy clutch on 5 month old TD 85 PS Vehicle. My leg was paining at the end of 1 hour TD. Not at all suitable for Bangalore b2b traffic.
2. Famous door rattles and maintenance/ASS issues with Renault. Having own Honda (City) and Hyundai (Santro), I know what reliability is.
3. Family was liking Honda's comfort and premium feel over Duster's poor quality interiors. They simply felt that Honda is a premium / Royal car. In case Duster would have been offering AT, I might have been convinced them for Duster.

ShailK: I have to negotiate bad and uneven roads on daily basis. Honda City's stiff suspensions only added more worries. I needed higher profile tyres to have better cushioning on those roads. I have read couple of team bhpians who installed 195/65/15 in earlier city and they are pretty happy with them. I wanted to try in this City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geotracks (Post 3431114)

I agree, Duster & Honda City are 2 different classes of automobiles. Duster will have a 'less premium' feel than a Honda City, but then that is by design, given that at almost a similar cost (INR 10L to 12L +-) one is getting a 'SUV'. You are also correct about the rattles & ASS.

The clutch for the 85 you TD, may be older. Reason I say this, I got a chance to TD a 2014 85PS Duster and Renault has improved on the clutch. It no more feels 'hard' as much as what was the earlier versions may have had. Actually I was told only the 110PS earlier versions had hard clutch issues which is now fixed by Renault. The 85 PS never had this problem I was told. Of course all said and done, it still is nowhere close to Honda City's manual clutch. After the 85PS TD, I drove my Honda back and the clutch on my Honda after that really felt 'wow'. You of course are miles ahead now and sitting a lap of comfort :) with your Honda City automatic.....ultimate feel of comfort & elegance!

I was sold on to Honda City and was super happy booking it. That's until Sunday. I test drove the Duster 110PS (85PS TD vehicle was not available) and i am confused now.

The way duster performed on the broken portions of the road and potholes is simply too good. Lots of reviews mentioned about the ride quality of duster and there is a definite reason to it. Even while going over smaller bumps without stop, passengers were quite comfortable. Turning radius was good and doing a U-turn on the ring road was quite easy. The commanding view of the road made me feel like a king.

Handling the clutch and gear was not all smooth. Stepping on the right pedal, the surge was felt from 1st to 2nd gear. That was quite a pull! Quite excited.

Interiors are not comparable at all with the city. Most of my driving would be in city with weekend getaways. 85PS is going to be more drivable in city than 110PS. Duster is luring me with the prospect of taking the paths least traveled by :) . Bangalore city roads offer half(OK, at least quarter) off roading capabilities

Duster may not have the premium feel of city. Oh! i love those sunroofs and cruise controls and ACC. But Duster offers one a premium feel :) when facing broken or bad roads. I don't have to feel shy, worried about scraping under body. I can approach it with a smile. Or may be i don't have to treat it differently at all :) GTO mentioned in the review how arrogantly duster shrugs off the bad roads like a <35L car would do.

RavenAvi mentioned that Honda city could be driven in 2 or 3 gear for some speed breakers without having to use clutch services :). Duster ownership reviews mentioned that sometimes one have to downshift to 1st gear. Those the 2 statements are not directly comparable, i am wondering if faced with the same speed breaker , will Honda City give me that extra comfort of not having to use clutch services?

Inputs are most welcome.

Mods : I looked for direct comparison threads and could not find any. If not appropriate, please move the post to the right thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vahanam (Post 3433046)
I was sold on to Honda City and was super happy booking it. That's until Sunday. I test drove the Duster 110PS (85PS TD vehicle was not available) and i am confused now.

Hello Vahanam, and welcome to TBHP!

About your confusion, let me put forward my view. IMO, a buyer should not be confused about the 'kind' of vehicle he is looking to buy. By kind of vehicle, I mean a sedan, hatchback or an SUV. Particularly when it comes to Sedan & SUV. Both are completely different types of vehicles and you should decide that based on the priorities and your needs. For eg. the space offered by SUV will be mostly unbeaten by any sedan; however, when it comes to handling & performance, sedans will just beat SUVs hands down. You simply cannot beat the stability and braking of sedans. You may feel the bumps lesser in an SUV because of its large wheels but the ride quality will be better of a sedan, overall. OK, looks like I am already sounding like a sedan fanboy, so I will just point out this wonderful thread to help you clear your confusion!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uv-debate.html


Regards,
Saket

Quote:

Originally Posted by connect2prashan (Post 3431115)
So the point you make saying you may already have 14 liters in your tank when your gauge shows you are empty might not be true. You can void this assumption by doing a top up fill up to the brim on your next visit. (Am sure you would end up filling 30-32 liters instead of 26)

Quote:

Originally Posted by geotracks (Post 3431121)
I am going to try again instructing the guy filling up, to do so very slowly to avoid early spills. Maybe what you say makes sense.

I did just that earlier today.

With 3 bars still showing in the fuel MID, and a DTE range of 113 kms, I went to fill the tank to the brim. To my surprise, the tank took in 34 liters to fill up completely!!

Among all other things, one thing is certain - the reserve tank of the 2014 City is certainly not ~6 liters, as posted in the manual.

Details - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3433081

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vahanam (Post 3433046)
RavenAvi mentioned that Honda city could be driven in 2 or 3 gear for some speed breakers without having to use clutch services :). i am wondering if faced with the same speed breaker , will Honda City give me that extra comfort of not having to use clutch services?

For minimal-sized speed breakers, you can simply roll over them in 3rd without breaking a sweat. For medium-sized ones where you have to slow down a bit, the 2nd gear has enough pull to roll and take you over them easily.

If riding comfort over broken roads and potholes is of the utmost priority, then the Duster/Terrano is the better performer, since it's a pseudo-SUV. If you are looking for that sort of comfort in a sedan, no car can beat the Linea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vahanam (Post 3433046)
...I test drove the Duster 110PS... and i am confused now.

The way duster performed on the broken portions of the road and potholes is simply too good. .....

Interiors are not comparable at all with the city...

Duster may not have the premium feel of city. ..
..
Inputs are most welcome.

There is no doubt that the Duster is a sprighty and capable softroader with good ride and looks.

Duster is in fact a cleverly disguised "Logan on Large wheels" and Logan/Verito is in C1 segment (one segment below the City).
Just take the front doors of the Logan/Verito and you'll be able to fit it on the Duster perfectly. With the Logan underpinnings, it is overpriced at around 14 Lakhs for the top end in Bangalore.

If the Utility value (read rough road ability) is that important for the user, then it makes sense to go go for Duster. But the interior feel and finish of Duster is not in the C2 class ie., it is less than expectations for C2 segment, given its pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3433089)
Hello Vahanam, and welcome to TBHP!

About your confusion, let me put forward my view. IMO, a buyer should not be confused about the 'kind' of vehicle he is looking to buy. By kind of vehicle, I mean a sedan, hatchback or an SUV. Particularly when it comes to Sedan & SUV. Both are completely different types of vehicles and you should decide that based on the priorities and your needs. For eg. the space offered by SUV will be mostly unbeaten by any sedan; however, when it comes to handling & performance, sedans will just beat SUVs hands down. You simply cannot beat the stability and braking of sedans. You may feel the bumps lesser in an SUV because of its large wheels but the ride quality will be better of a sedan, overall. OK, looks like I am already sounding like a sedan fanboy, so I will just point out this wonderful thread to help you clear your confusion!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uv-debate.html


Regards,
Saket

Thanks Saket. I dont want a hatchback nor an SUV. I want a sedan (read or sedanish SUV). Since Duster offers some SUV capabilities with Great and Plush Driving experience, i was inclined to look at it. 2 kinds of "how much " always plays on Indian minds. How much mileage and How much Ground Clearance? I am too smitten by these.

Irony is that i used the same thread that you referred above to move from Ecosport to Honda city lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 3433097)
I did just that earlier today.


For minimal-sized speed breakers, you can simply roll over them in 3rd without breaking a sweat. For medium-sized ones where you have to slow down a bit, the 2nd gear has enough pull to roll and take you over them easily.

If riding comfort over broken roads and potholes is of the utmost priority, then the Duster/Terrano is the better performer, since it's a pseudo-SUV. If you are looking for that sort of comfort in a sedan, no car can beat the Linea.

Thanks for your inputs. The city roads deteriorate so badly sometimes that it confuses me about what to choose - sedan or sedanish SUV

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 3433099)

Just take the front doors of the Logan/Verito and you'll be able to fit it on the Duster perfectly. With the Logan underpinnings, it is overpriced at around 14 Lakhs for the top end in Bangalore.

If the Utility value (read rough road ability) is that important for the user, then it makes sense to go go for Duster. But the interior feel and finish of Duster is not in the C2 class ie., it is less than expectations for C2 segment, given its pricing.

Thanks. Front door fit is interesting to note. Certainly agree that top end duster is overpriced. When i booked VX MT, i did not feel its overpriced. City gives a D1 feel and Duster a C1 feel.

Rear AC vents in the duster is big hindrance. 5th person just cannot sit comfortably. Paying 15L to cause hindrance to 5th person does not seem justified.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.