Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 16:32   #1876
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is no doubt that the Duster is a sprighty and capable softroader with good ride and looks.

Duster is in fact a cleverly disguised "Logan on Large wheels" and Logan/Verito is in C1 segment (one segment below the City).
Just take the front doors of the Logan/Verito and you'll be able to fit it on the Duster perfectly. With the Logan underpinnings, it is overpriced at around 14 Lakhs for the top end in Bangalore.

If the Utility value (read rough road ability) is that important for the user, then it makes sense to go go for Duster. But the interior feel and finish of Duster is not in the C2 class ie., it is less than expectations for C2 segment, given its pricing.
Do not let its inexpensiveness fool you: the Logan is a very fine European platform, eons ahead of anything Honda, Hyundai, or Suzuki have on offer in India.

The Duster, IMO, is excellently styled: it looks cohesive and distinctively butch, without any exagerrated or tacky design elements. It may not have the build quality or the chic of a Linea, or the handling of a Ford but make no mistake: the difference between the Duster and the City is more than just a sedan v/s SUV question. It is a difference of automotive design and engineering philosophy: European v/s East Asian. In deciding we must remember this, we must decide which philosophy we subscribe to.

I regard the European style and content of mass market cars to be most appropriate in India, for Indian conditions. The reliability and ASS bogey should be put to rest, by now, I believe.
Old 13th May 2014, 19:46   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
RavenAvi mentioned that Honda city could be driven in 2 or 3 gear for some speed breakers without having to use clutch services . Duster ownership reviews mentioned that sometimes one have to downshift to 1st gear. Those the 2 statements are not directly comparable, i am wondering if faced with the same speed breaker , will Honda City give me that extra comfort of not having to use clutch services?
That is absolutely correct. I have been travelling to office daily in my New City. On a stretch of 13 Kms from my house to the office, I come across over 10 speedbreakers. You can understand how irritating that can be, but I hardly feel irritated since I dont need to worry much about pressing the clutch. I just use the break on 2nd gear and it does the work without any problems. I do make it a point to come down from 3rd Gear to 2nd if I am on 3rd. Dont really push my car on the 3rd Gear on speedbreakers.
Old 13th May 2014, 22:16   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
.. the Logan is a very fine European platform...

The Duster, IMO, is excellently styled: ... It may not have the build quality or the chic of a Linea, or the handling of a Ford ...
Agreed that Duster is good. My earlier note only emphasized that the interior fit and finish of the Duster is lower than the C2 segment expectations. Clearly, the interiors of Duster is not as plush as the other C2 segment vehicles like Vento/Honda/Verna/Linea.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th May 2014 at 22:29.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 15:32   #1879
AMJ

I found the duster clutch too hard for a comfort drive. With the traffic around and bad roads its just too difficult to drive in the long run with such hard clutch.

The plush feel of the city and the convenience of auto made me choose a VX CVT. Should get the delivery tomorrow and have upgraded the tires to Michelin P3ST to 195/60/15. Hope this improves the drive quality though the service engineers recommend otherwise.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:17   #1880
BHPian

Switched my booking from VX CVT to SV MT yesterday coz the plan is to get a small Pre worshipped AT car down the line. The SV should be delivered in 2-3 weeks I was told. Have already ordered speakers to upgrade the stock sound (JBL components and Infinity reference coaxials) and will amp them too. Also ordered car cover, mats and few other accessories online but it seems the 3D mats are still not here for the 2014 city!?
Old 16th May 2014, 07:41   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
Also ordered car cover, mats and few other accessories online but it seems the 3D mats are still not here for the 2014 city!?
Hi Deepak, what site did you order the stuff on?
Old 16th May 2014, 09:04   #1882
BHPian

My VX CVT is getting delivered on 30th May. The vehicle will reach the showroom on 24th May but I am taking it on 30th.

The booking was done at Perfect Honda, Trivandrum on April last week and receiving the car in just over 1 month time.

Going for the full cover insurance, which will cost about 8000 extra from the on road price of 12.54 lakhs. I am not doing a tyre upgrade for now. Trying to get a 185/55 R16 tyres either imported as I could not find it anywhere. Will do it only after probably at 10000 kms once the car settles in and gets a decent mileage.

Confirmed everything else. Honda guys came with a diesel model and confirmed it can be parked in my car parking slot. Looking forward for the new entry into my family
Old 16th May 2014, 10:04   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Confirmed everything else. Honda guys came with a diesel model and confirmed it can be parked in my car parking slot. Looking forward for the new entry into my family
Congrats adarsh. Don't forget the PDI part. Carry TEAM-BHP PDI Check list. It'll be of great guidance. Wishing you a very rousing new car buying experience mate. Post some pics for the sake of visual treat to us when you get the delivery.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 16th May 2014 at 10:06.
Old 16th May 2014, 11:08   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Deepak, what site did you order the stuff on?
Snapdeal for mats, cover, mobile holder etc with their 10% off coupon as well as Ebay for the speakers with the 25% off coupon!
Old 16th May 2014, 16:51   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Congrats adarsh. Don't forget the PDI part. Carry TEAM-BHP PDI Check list. It'll be of great guidance. Wishing you a very rousing new car buying experience mate. Post some pics for the sake of visual treat to us when you get the delivery.
Already taken the printout of that. The dealership has mailed me the Engine and Chassis details as well the date of delivery. Probably will inspect the vehicle once it arrives with my friend from the auto mobile industry (Currently, Service Head of Maruti Suzuki). I did align a bit towards the Suzuki Ciaz (primarily the looks) but per the same friend's advice, City Petrol is a car which we can buy eyes closed.

I have never driven a car with paddle shifters, so there is a bit of learning to be done.

Will definitely post pictures.

There are a lot more cars going to be launched this year and we would certainly enjoy full fledged comments and detailed pics from Team BHP admins.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 16th May 2014 at 16:53.
Old 16th May 2014, 22:56   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
My VX CVT is getting delivered on 30th May. The vehicle will reach the showroom on 24th May but I am taking it on 30th.

The booking was done at Perfect Honda, Trivandrum on April last week and receiving the car in just over 1 month time.
That's great! Wishing you a good time with the new entrant in your family. What colour did you choose?

I booked my white diesel VMT in mid April and it has'nt yet matured. I was told it would probably be in July.
Old 18th May 2014, 09:02   #1887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Thanks for your inputs. The city roads deteriorate so badly sometimes that it confuses me about what to choose - sedan or sedanish SUV
If your in Bangalore and you commute daily on roads that have our normal monster speed breakers take a close look at the Duster again.

I have an Altis and an Ecosport and even though Altis has the best ground clearance in that segment there are times when the belly scrapes solid. That alone made me sell the Figo and get an Ecosport. You cannot imagine the sense of peace you get not having to worry about speed breakers and venturing onto roads you would not dare in a low slung hatch or sedan.

The Duster maybe based on Logan but there is no way you can fit the doors of the Logan onto it.

The City does give you stylish futuristic interiors but by no way are they solid. The City feels built to a cost and you can feel the cost cutting inside out. It is better than the Duster but considering the practicality the Duster is worth a second look. Look at the 85 PS if using in city. The 110PS is too painful to drive in the city traffic.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 11:22   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If your in Bangalore and you commute daily on roads that have our normal monster speed breakers take a close look at the Duster again.
I have been doing the Unscientific Speed Breakers of Bangalore and outskirts for the last 3.5 months and the 2014 City has not scraped the bottom even once. In fact most Bangaloreans have included this as a standard part of their Test Drive home work - they fill the car with 4-5 people and go over speed bumps to ensure that this test is passed.

While I am not discouraging Duster or any other car Model, I am only providing some inputs that there are no issues with the 2014 Honda City and Speed Breakers of Bangalore.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 11:29   #1889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have been doing the Unscientific Speed Breakers of Bangalore and outskirts for the last 3.5 months and the 2014 City has not scraped the bottom even once. In fact most Bangaloreans have included this as a standard part of their Test Drive home work - they fill the car with 4-5 people and go over speed bumps to ensure that this test is passed.

While I am not discouraging Duster or any other car Model, I am only providing some inputs that there are no issues with the 2014 Honda City and Speed Breakers of Bangalore.
It's easy to make it touch. I can give you a stretch of road from Sarjapur road signal to Indiranagar where you will scrape the car 3 times if you have more than 3 people including driver on board. The only way you will not scrape is to go at a slight angle or to go over in 1st gear as slow as possible. That's not called clearing the speed breaker with ease. In comparison I can do it in second gear in my Ecosport.

If you can drive over comfortably in second gear with 4 people on board then it's fine.

My Altis has a ground clearance of 170mm. I have upgrdaed the tyres to a higher profile and yet it touches if the driver does not crawl over them in first gear.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 13:04   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's easy to make it touch. I can give you a stretch of road from Sarjapur road signal to Indiranagar where you will scrape the car 3 times if you have more than 3 people including driver on board. The only way you will not scrape is to go at a slight angle or to go over in 1st gear as slow as possible. That's not called clearing the speed breaker with ease. In comparison I can do it in second gear in my Ecosport.

If you can drive over comfortably in second gear with 4 people on board then it's fine.

My Altis has a ground clearance of 170mm. I have upgrdaed the tyres to a higher profile and yet it touches if the driver does not crawl over them in first gear.
I have not test driven the Altis but the Ground Clearance is one aspect and the type of suspension (soft/stiff) is another aspect. The suspension of the City has been made stiffer and hence it does not scrape the bottom but the undulation can be felt inside to the extent that some people have complained on the ride quality in lower speeds on this forum.

Most Viewed