Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 02:43   #1921
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post

3M Car Care add-ons the very next day:

Under Body Anti-Rust Coating (5 Years warranty with every once in 6 months service)
Paint sealant Essential
CR70 sun film on windshield, sides and rear (5 years warranty)
PPF on running board (Side step area), side mirrors (painted area), door handle cups, door side edges, boot strip on bumper, bottom two sides on front bumper, (Interior) touchscreen AC control, audio player screen and on piano black finish.
Congrats !!! on the car mate.White has already won most of the hearts in the new City.I really liked the work on the audio system and the piano black finish. Kindly let us know how much did 3M charge you for this work. Iam sure many are looking forward to get something similar done.
I also recall that Ravenavi got something similar done on his empress too but that was not 3M I guess.

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 25th May 2014 at 03:05. Reason: spelling mistakes
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 03:03   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post

3M Car Care add-ons the very next day:

Under Body Anti-Rust Coating (5 Years warranty with every once in 6 months service)
Paint sealant Essential
CR70 sun film on windshield, sides and rear (5 years warranty)
PPF on running board (Side step area), side mirrors (painted area), door handle cups, door side edges, boot strip on bumper, bottom two sides on front bumper, (Interior) touchscreen AC control, audio player screen and on piano black finish.

Would be grateful if you can also mention the pricing for these.
Thanks!
Old 25th May 2014, 12:18   #1923
BANNED

Guys,

Given my city for the following @ 3M Madhapur

1. Underbody Anti Corrosion Treatment 5 yrs - Rs 3809
2. Exterior Paint Sealant - Rs 5382
3. Mats - Rs 6050
4. PPF - Front/Back Bumpers, Side Steps, Rear View Mirrors, Door Handles, Door edges - Rs 19208

Total 34449 - 10% = 31004/.

All this requires about 24 hrs including observation period.

Am confused how useful the PPF will be. Am wondering a comparison of doing a paint job once a year vs replacing the ppf where scratches appear. Any suggestions?

By the way went for a ride on ORR yesterday night. Best 30 KMPL. Just flashed once and started reducing to settle at about 25ish KMPL when driven around 70-80. As I went on 90kmph, it settled at 23.5ish. As I went on 100kmph, it settled around 22.5ish. Looks like 80 & 6th gear is the sweet spot. One observation was, when I reset MID and started driving, initial few kms (< 1-2kms) it kept fluctuating a lot between 28-13. Is this normal?

Sathya
tosathyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 13:41   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
the service advisor told me that the third service with oil change should cost around 4k with mineral oil (he said this is what honda uses and fills the car with from the factory) , from what i know honda developed a special low viscousity oil for the i-Dtec motor , what is that oil exactly , mineral or synthetic ? He told me that mineral oil costs 1.4k and synthetic costs 2.8 k? Can someone explain what's this all about , what oil should i fill her up with?
The iDTEC uses a proprietary semi synth oil, whose exact viscosity not shared but is said to be around 0W30. This is the oil which factory-filled and should be used for service. The same is mentioned in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The difference between mineral & synthetic can NOT be just 50%; it needs to be more than that. For reference, Swift's mineral oil is ~200/- per litre while synthetic is ~1000/- per litre - that's almost 5 times.
Its only in India that you have such stupid difference in the market price of mineral and synthetic oils. World over, the difference is much less.
Old 25th May 2014, 14:48   #1925

Thanks all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Excellent. Congratulations...My car is going to similar like yours except that its gonna be a CVT and with no additional accessories . But planning to get the 3M treatment done.

Could you please tell what were they doing to the stereo panel and the AC panel?
Congratulations in advance Adarsh.

It’s the “3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film” that’s applied on the stereo and the AC panel.

As we all know, the new City has few great features which customers themselves have to take care off, one of it is the interior piano black panel, which can get scratched even if you think of touching it, forget about you really touching it. After doing enough research, I decided to cover it all up with a carbon fiber film or a transparent film just like a scratch guard. Immediately after I booked the car (Jan 14) went to my regular 3M store and tried clearing my worries with the manager and also checked the pros and cons of PPF. Checked if they can use the same on piano back finish. Answer was yes but at my own risk as mine will be the first car to go under this experiment and they agreed to do this as I was well known to them. Later I got little more confidence about this experiment after few experts in this thread tried similar things on their car. Thanks to RavenAvi and neel911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Congrats !!! on the car mate.White has already won most of the hearts in the new City.I really liked the work on the audio system and the piano black finish. Kindly let us know how much did 3M charge you for this work. Iam sure many are looking forward to get something similar done.
I also recall that Ravenavi got something similar done on his empress too but that was not 3M I guess.

Cheers,
pdma.
Thanks, you are right pdma. White is my choice always and this is my 3rd white car.

About 3-4 Sq FT of PPF was used on the panels including wastage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irajiv View Post
How much did the CR70 on all sides cost? What is PPF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
Would be grateful if you can also mention the pricing for these.
Thanks!
Price details:

CR70 All sides – Rs.25511/-
Underbody Anti-Corrosion treatment – Rs.3809/-
Paint Sealant Essential – Rs.3697/-
PPF exterior and interior (Rs.465/Sq FT) – Rs.7365/- (Used about 15 Sq FT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congratulations Ranjit!
Could you please tell me what the resolution and format of the wallpaper must be in order to load it up on the head unit? I tried copying some pictures on to a pendrive, but the City couldn't recognize those images.
Thanks DeKay.

Resolution of Team-BHP wallpaper is 1233 x 672 and size 49 KB.
You can use JPEG or BMP images.
I recommend using an image with BLACK background as any other color in the background will leave a black border on sides of the screen (which doesn't look good for me).
When copying the images to the pen drive, make sure it’s directly accessible under the pen drive folder and not placed inside any other folder as it will not be read by the head unit.

I have attached the user manual page (Page 218) and few samples in the end which you can download.

I missed uploading the parking sensor picture in my previous post so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140525_114441_lls.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140525_114310.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140523_172446.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140523_172613.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140525_113606.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip Wallpaper.zip (93.3 KB, 170 views)
Ranjit.Shetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 18:59   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
Guys,

4. PPF - Front/Back Bumpers, Side Steps, Rear View Mirrors, Door Handles, Door edges - Rs 19208

All this requires about 24 hrs including observation period.

Am confused how useful the PPF will be. Am wondering a comparison of doing a paint job once a year vs replacing the ppf where scratches appear. Any suggestions?
Hey Satya,

Thanks for putting those numbers up, 19K is huge is even what I personally felt . I understand that the film comes at per sqft price and a 5 year warranty however not very sure how useful would that be.May be few others who have already used it can share their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post

One observation was, when I reset MID and started driving, initial few kms (< 1-2kms) it kept fluctuating a lot between 28-13. Is this normal?
Yes Satya ,

This is normal as you would be flipping between gears before you finally settle for a sweet spot to gain the maximum FE.
I do not see anything to be worried about here.By the way the avg 22 that you have hit is also excellent and eye popping or looks like these are becoming common figures for all the I-Dtec owners.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 25th May 2014, 19:50   #1927
BHPian

Hi, can anyone tell me what's the waiting period like?

I am planning to buy a VMT from Ahmedabad and the dealer is not giving me any firm dates.

I really didn't envisage such a long waiting for a petrol city and now I am considering the Skoda Rapid which, at least, is readily available.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:39   #1928
AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
That does not seem bad considering you get both traffic and the highway.
The mileage I got so far is 7 and that's pathetic, however I am yet to cross 200kms and yet to experience open roads.

How was it for you when the car was new?
Want to share a great weekend drive experience.

I had a about a 500 km drive over the weekend on VX CVT. Had done 170 km bfr that in the city and got an average between 5 & 7

On this 540 km drive got an average of 15.4 and at one staged it peaked to 16.1. The drive was maintained at an average of 80 km/hr and always on Econ mode.

Also tried using Cruise Control but after ever stretch of 3 to 4 kms had to get back on the pedal just to pass vehicles who do not follow lane discipline. but still worth the experience and comfort.

So finally feel better about the average now.

I have not done the 3M anti rust treatment and plan to do that before the rain starts.
AMJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 14:38   #1929
BHPian

Yesterday, I got the delivery of my Golden Brown SV CVT.

The colour is nice though it looks a lot like black specially in shade and at night. The true brownie effect can be felt only under the direct sunlight.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140525_131959.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20140525_131946.jpg

Took delivery from Classic Honda, Faridabad with Delhi registration. Wonderful dealership experience with constant updates on delivery times and no major upselling of accessories or other items, though was asked twice for Paint Protection & Underbody treatment but I politely declined on both the occasions.

Total OTR is Rs.10,64,472/- with Zero Dep Honda Assure (Bajaj Allianz), extended warranty & 4 years Honda RSA.

Took the car straightaway to 3M car care at Kailash Colony for fitment of black Nomad mats which was custom cut after taking all the measurements and in about 1 hr the job was complete, total amount was Rs.5400/-. Did not go for their paint sealant program for Rs.3500/- or PPF for four bumper corners which they quoted for Rs.16,000/-. This kailash colony centre do not have the under body protection facility, although I believe it is not needed in Delhi.

From there, went to BK Tyres at Lajpat Nagar, upsized and changed the rubber for all 5 tyres from stock 175/65/15 Good Year GT3 to 195/60/15 Michelin Primacy 3ST, the new tyre price is Rs.5700/-, the buyback was at Rs.2900/-, paid Rs.14000/- and left. One word of caution for all people visiting there, they are extremely busy on Sundays, it took me close to 3 hours to get the job done.

Also, took the Dicky mat from Elegant in lajpat nagar itself for Rs.600/-. (The 3M guys quoted Rs.4100/- for the Nomad mat for Dicky, didn't find it worth).

This is my further Plan of Action & need your advice:

1. Upgrade the speakers - these stock speakers are awful, I am not an audiophile by a long distance, so please suggest me a speaker system without changing the HU that can be had for a budget of say Rs.15k and that can be fitted inside the 4 doors (also all 4 doors have empty tweeters slots), not keen on drilling holes in the parcel tray, I normally listen to FM and sometimes mobile connected music. (a stock system in say a 2007 Civic V-AT that I currently have is perfect for me, listen to the music on volume setting 12-16 out of 30). It would be awesome if you could point out the model nos.

2. Parking Sensors - looking for the front & rear parking sensors with front & rear camera, is this an overkill? we have a very tight parking space.
The honda accessory guys are providing with an IRVM fitment, which is not comfortable with me.
My ideal solution will be an LCD on dashboard, can you point to the right shop somewhere in delhi that can set this up using t-tap connectors? I spoke to the Elegant guys in Lajpat nagar and they recommended RD make front & rear camera with LCD and back sensors, they quoted Rs.10,000/- for this but they refused to use the tap connectors and told that wires would have to be spliced, thus postponed for a moment now.

3. Paint Sealant Program - I am thinking of doing it from 3M but after 6 months, since the car is spanking new, it does not rubbing & waxing now. Is this the correct strategy?

4. Seat Covers & Alloys - have ordered seat covers from Autoform with door panels and it will installed in a couple of days as my choice isn't available with them and it will come from dehradun. Not planning alloys right now, maybe after 6 months with some cash liquidity in hand.

Not writing an ownership report as firstly I am not a swift writer and secondly, RavenAvi and Neel's blogs have mentioned everything and I have little to add to it, I have to thank them both for very nicely putting up in perspective all the points, all of which has helped me a lot.
harshunlimited is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 17:58   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post

I am planning to buy a VMT from Ahmedabad and the dealer is not giving me any firm dates.

I really didn't envisage such a long waiting for a petrol city and now I am considering the Skoda Rapid which, at least, is readily available.
I checked today in Hyderabad and the wait for a top end VX (any engine type) is 3-4 months.

The wait times are lower (about a month) for the SV variant. VMT is about 2 months.
Old 26th May 2014, 19:00   #1931
BHPian

I had raised the issue of the hands-free not working properly on my Honda City SV model (which is the case in every SV variant as has been reported around) - below is the reply from Honda Customer Service:

"Pertaining to your concern raised up with us, we understand that the functioning of the system is as per standard specification of the car. The reception of microphone installed in the audio unit should be done with all windows closed and air vents towards ceiling/ roof as is mentioned in your car owner's manual.
However respecting your communication, we would once again request you to visit to our dealership for a comparative check in your presence with car of same variant."

Imagine receiving a call when driving and you have to reach out to the "air vents" first instead of the talk button! I will have to read the owners manual to find out more about this functionality :-)
Its a shame that no proper testing was carried out on the Bluetooth hands-free by Honda. And on top such a lousy response.

P.S. Pointing the air vents away from the mic does not solve the problem either - has already been tried out.
vista_qjd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 20:14   #1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post

Hi NDA992, I had a smooth experience with Emerald Honda Ahmedabad. Got my VMT petrol in one month flat with the dealer giving me specific delivery date 20 days in advance. I can give you the SA contact also if you want.
Old 26th May 2014, 20:57   #1933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Its a shame that no proper testing was carried out on the Bluetooth hands-free by Honda. And on top such a lousy response.

P.S. Pointing the air vents away from the mic does not solve the problem either - has already been tried out.
In my iDTEC V, the Bluetooth telephony is loud and clear, irrespective of where the AC vents are pointing. Its practically as good as not using Bluetooth and talking directly on the phone.

Lets see if others here are also facing any such problem.

Typical corporate response, which is only frustrating for the owner. Wonder why companies need to be so formal and defensive when a customer tries to reach them.
Old 27th May 2014, 13:30   #1934

Need a help with engine noise in my new Honda City (Petrol)!

I bought a new Honda City (Petrol / V-MT) on 16th May 2014. Bought it from Magnum Honda in Bangalore.

Over the past 2 to 3 days, I have noticed a strange noise with the engine. Almost sounds like a diesel engine :( There is a bit of "tak-tak" noise around 1500 rpm which gets pronounced in gradients. I got really pissed when I took my uncle in my car and he asked if it was a diesel car! grrrr

I am not in the best of moods due to this. I was expecting a smooth engine from a Honda but the noise is making me grrr..

I recorded the noise and stored in you tube.

I am taking it to Magnum Service for a check-up later this week.

Any help is appreciated.

Do I escalate this to Honda customer care?

Thx
//Shekar
Old 27th May 2014, 19:49   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
Yesterday, I got the delivery of my Golden Brown SV CVT.

The colour is nice though it looks a lot like black specially in shade and at night. The true brownie effect can be felt only under the direct sunlight.

Attachment 1244093

Attachment 1244094

Took delivery from Classic Honda, Faridabad with Delhi registration. Wonderful dealership experience with constant updates on delivery times and no major upselling of accessories or other items, though was asked twice for Paint Protection & Underbody treatment but I politely declined on both the occasions.

Total OTR is Rs.10,64,472/- with Zero Dep Honda Assure (Bajaj Allianz), extended warranty & 4 years Honda RSA.

Hello Harsh, Congratulations on your new ride. Excellent choice.

I got a quote of SV i-DTEC from courtesy Honda (Okhla) for INR 10,83,000 with extended warranty. And for your petrol even you have mentioned the cost as 1064472. Am I missing something ?

Most Viewed