Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2014, 03:13   #2026
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Peak Summer Update :-

So my car was parked under direct sunlight and the MID showed outside temperature to be 48 degrees , i kept the windows open for a while to let the hot air out (about 3 minutes) , The AC took 20 minutes thereafter to fight with the heat and it was only then that it brought the cabin temperature to sane levels (still warm but not insanely hot) , and started blowing cold air , prior to that it felt as if the compressor was'nt working and just the blower was running , in my half hour drive just the last 5-10 minutes were comfortable and i was sweating before that. Having driven a car like i20 petrol with a pathetic A/C which just wont work after 40-42 degrees , this is definitely better but then again this is no more than average and leaves a lot to be desired.

Just to clear the air , i'm not the kind of person who always keeps the AC on 24X7 , and my heat tolerance levels are on the higher side too , my mom who was my co-passenger today who is just my opposite when it comes to this was panicking for the first 10 minutes or so.I would also like to add , that once the A/C brings the temperature to sane levels , it can cool the cabin well but can't chill it,it is by no means quick but it does work well after a while. Again this is all in dry noon time with Sun just above the head , it works much better in very hot nights (around 42 degrees) and mornings.

Overall Rating for the A/C - 3.0/5 (Guys in Delhi NCR would know the harsh heat and that now is the right time to test an A/C)
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 09:04   #2027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Peak Summer Update :-

So my car was parked under direct sunlight and the MID showed outside temperature to be 48 degrees , i kept the windows open for a while to let the hot air out (about 3 minutes) , The AC took 20 minutes thereafter to fight with the heat and it was only then that it brought the cabin temperature to sane levels (still warm but not insanely hot) , and started blowing cold air , prior to that it felt as if the compressor was'nt working and just the blower was running , in my half hour drive just the last 5-10 minutes were comfortable and i was sweating before that. Having driven a car like i20 petrol with a pathetic A/C which just wont work after 40-42 degrees , this is definitely better but then again this is no more than average and leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall Rating for the A/C - 3.0/5 (Guys in Delhi NCR would know the harsh heat and that now is the right time to test an A/C)
I am surprised by this. By any chance, is your car black or mettalic brown?

I am not having any issues with the cooling of my car. I lower the rear windows for the first couple of minutes of the drive, and keep the ACC at 25 degrees in auto. It takes car of everything, no complaints. I have observed that pushing it to Low straightaway after starting only creates more noise with no extra cooling.
Old 8th June 2014, 12:45   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Took it for a spin of about 120 KM To-and-Fro beyond Bangalore airport. In the city during bumper to bumper traffic, the average hovers around 13+.
The average climbed upto 25.5 Kmpl on the long stretch. I felt it could climb higher, if driven longer at 80 km/hr at 1000rpm/6th gear as the instantaneous mileage indicator often hovers near 40kmpl on flat stretches. The sweet spot for best mileage is 80 Km/Hr at 1000 rpm.

The AC has to keep working hard due to the absence of sunfilms. I'm really tempted to go for CR-70 atleast on the side windows. It would be good if they legally allow sunfilms upto atleast 70% VLT/transparency on the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-odo_1.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th June 2014 at 12:56.
Old 8th June 2014, 12:47   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I am surprised by this. By any chance, is your car black or mettalic brown?

I am not having any issues with the cooling of my car. I lower the rear windows for the first couple of minutes of the drive, and keep the ACC at 25 degrees in auto. It takes car of everything, no complaints. I have observed that pushing it to Low straightaway after starting only creates more noise with no extra cooling.
Shreyans like i said , this isn't a easy test for any car , i would also like to add that my car was also stuck in traffic , in my experience AC works better when the car is moving , also like i said AC works much better pre and post noon , and despite the high temperatures at those times the AC works much better , but then that was the best time to give the air conditioner a tuff test and see how it performs , i observed this earlier too but was waiting for this extreme heat for this ultimate test and the AC can't be called more than just average , i don't think there is anything wrong with my AC though because like i said post those 20 minutes it starts to cool the cabin and the cabin can get quite cool in a while but then it is not at all quick, and certainly not a chiller by far. (Even my i20's AC chilled in early mornings/nights , its easy for most ACs , chilling in such extreme heat is what makes an excellent AC.)

My car is Silver by the way.

P.S The way AC performs depends on many factors - the humidity , the time of day and the obviously the peak temperature , so this will vary from city to city , the current conditions in Delhi are among the harshest that can get , so please dont bash me if it performs better in your city!
Old 8th June 2014, 14:30   #2030
BHPian

I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight - taking delivery of my silver SV MT tomorrow! Will head to 3M for anti rust, paint sealant and CR70 film for front windshield. Fingers crossed on the tyres!
Old 8th June 2014, 14:39   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shreyans like i said , this isn't a easy test for any car , i would also like to add that my car was also stuck in traffic , in my experience AC works better when the car is moving , also like i said AC works much better pre and post noon , and despite the high temperatures at those times the AC works much better , but then that was the best time to give the air conditioner a tuff test and see how it performs , i observed this earlier too but was waiting for this extreme heat for this ultimate test and the AC can't be called more than just average , i don't think there is anything wrong with my AC though because like i said post those 20 minutes it starts to cool the cabin and the cabin can get quite cool in a while but then it is not at all quick, and certainly not a chiller by far. (Even my i20's AC chilled in early mornings/nights , its easy for most ACs , chilling in such extreme heat is what makes an excellent AC.)

P.S The way AC performs depends on many factors - the humidity , the time of day and the obviously the peak temperature , so this will vary from city to city , the current conditions in Delhi are among the harshest that can get , so please dont bash me if it performs better in your city!
The heat in Delhi right now is unbearable. I guess most AC will struggle to keep the interior cool. Whenever i park my car anywhere, I keep sunshades on all windows, front and back glass of the car as well. This helps in preventing the car getting extremely hot from inside and there on it takes 5-10 mins for the interior to cool down whenever i start it. Try this method and see if it makes any difference in the cooling time.

However, i am seriously thinking of getting the 70% sun film on the windscreen. Constant sunlight on steering while driving makes it hard to grasp properly.
Old 8th June 2014, 15:11   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Agree 100%. AC cooling will obviously be better in morning hours and evening hours and also when the car is in motion. The logic behind this is that refrigeration effect is more when temperature difference at the condenser(hot pressurized refrigerant coming from compressor vs heat sink temp, the outside temp) is maximum, ie, when outside temp is lesser.

OT: Both of our cars are suffering the same NCR heat. Your town and mine are hardly 25km apart. Dad saw the MID indicate 49 degrees yesterday.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th June 2014 at 15:18.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:21   #2033
BHPian

Thank you so much. I always wanted a Black car but owing to auspicious reasons (as per elders in my family) stayed away from it. The moment I saw the Golden Brown colour, deep inside I knew this would be the colour my City would be.

Surely will post my complete ownership report once I get my car with lots and lots of pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Many, many hearty congratulations, Rahul. The 2014 City in this particular Golden Brown Metallic shade is a real head turner, specially when parked under the sun during day time. It makes the car look a class apart. You can check out my ownership thread for detailed pics of the shade from all angles, and I can assure you, your car will be unique, even in a sea of Citys in the city.

Hope to see a complete ownership report from you once you get your car, dotted with plenty of pictures!

The car hardly stays in their yard especially the CITY and hence they would have denied you a PDI. However I didnt ask for a PDI in the excitement of booking the car. Will ask my sales consultant once my car is allotted and before I release the payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpshah68 View Post
Thanks for your update. I too have booked a CVT with Arya Honda. While their attitude was polite and helpful the one thing that I didn't like was they flatly refused PDI. Although I have a waiting period of more than 4 months i thought it would be better to clarify beforehand.
Did you ask for a PDI before full payment and when the car arrives in the stockyard?. If so did they agree to it?. If they did may I request a reference from you so that I too can do a PDI as per team BHP guidelines.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:37   #2034
BHPian

Hello Team-BHPIANs

I recently sold off my Ford Ecosport (8 month old) due to some engine issue, which Ford never realized as an issue.
Now I'm contemplating buying among the two :
Vento TDi - Highline - Approx 60K discount in Faridabad - On road : 10.78L without extended warranty.
Honda City Diesel - SV Variant - On road - 10.65L on road with extended warranty.

My idea is to keep the car for 8 years.

What makes me drift towards Honda is excellent after sales support and low maintenance costs.

Vento excites me about its excellent and solid build quality.

Need advise from all experts on this. So please pour in your comments.

Regards
Harpreet
Old 9th June 2014, 12:25   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Team-BHPIANs

I recently sold off my Ford Ecosport (8 month old) due to some engine issue, which Ford never realized as an issue.
Vento TDi - Highline - Approx 60K discount in Faridabad - On road : 10.78L without extended warranty.
Honda City Diesel - SV Variant - On road - 10.65L on road with extended warranty.

What makes me drift towards Honda is excellent after sales support and low maintenance costs.

Regards
Harpreet
Its a no Brainer. With the idea of keeping it for 8 years Honda City will suit you better primarily because of A.S.S. Of course the build quality is better in Vento but it will be quite expensive to maintain.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:04   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Its a no Brainer. With the idea of keeping it for 8 years Honda City will suit you better primarily because of A.S.S. Of course the build quality is better in Vento but it will be quite expensive to maintain.
Another criteria is the PickUp Vs Fuel Efficiency Equation. While the Acceleration of the city is good within City Limits, it will not match up to th Vento on a highway. But in return the City will provide you with amazing Fuel Efficiency. Based on what matters more to you, make the choice appropriately.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:18   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team-BHPIANs

Regards
Harpreet
Go for Honda City, the long term reliability is simply unmatched for a Honda. Vento as such is a very nice car and more powerful than City diesel but it's quite old now and will get a facelift in a year or so while the new City is completely new model so go for it.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 14:03   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team-BHPIANs

Regards
Harpreet
Wrong place to ask the question. Everyone here is going to suggest honda city.

Create a thread in 'What Car' section for unbiased opinion.

Vento has a much better, powerful, torquey and refined engine and has much better build quality.

City is much roomier (vento felt cramped in comparison to city), decent engine performance, much better A.S.S and would prove reliable over longer periods.
Old 9th June 2014, 19:11   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team-BHPIANs

Regards
Harpreet
Hey , So here's my unbiased take on my car (City) , and my views on Vento

City
+Looks great from the outside and the interiors are designed well too , being a fresh design from the side and rear , this looks much lively than the other cars in this segment which have started to look dated now.
+Acres on space on the inside , the rear seat is an excellent place to be in.
+Excellent low end torque which makes city driving a breeze.
+The SV model should be enough for you and packs in all the necessary features and more , but the electrically foldable mirrors are sorely missed , the stock wheels look pathetic too and i've got alloy wheels in their place.
+Honda's Service is much better than the VW and Honda's reliability is just outstanding ,The car should'nt give you a single trouble in those 8 years of ownership you're planning.Even the service costs are minimal , if my SA is to be trusted ,The paid service including Oil change and everything should cost no more than 5.5k , that's less than Swift D!

-The engine although peppy enough for city runs feels strictly average on the highway , since you are coming from an ecosport expect the engine performance to be pretty similar , but the NVH levels are significantly better in the ecosport , i would also like to add that City's NVH levels are nowhere as bad as they were on the test drive units , and till about 2.5k RPM , the engine noise isn't bothersome at all , its reasonably smooth too.
-The dynamics are a step down from the ecosport and the car just does'nt take hard cornering as well as your car.Its no verna though and are more in between Vento and Verna here.
-The AC again like i reported is just average in cities like Delhi and again a step down from the ecosport.
-Have been noticing a lot of cities on the road lately and i feel it looks a tad too narrow from the rear , Verna , Ecosport etc look much well proportioned.

Vento
+The Engine - its a pure gem and its a treat to drive the car everytime , it entertains me as much as my Cruze does and that turbo whoosh is addictive , is pretty efficient too.
+Balanced Dynamics - The driving dynamics are better on this car than the City , and it feels planted and confidence inspiring at very high speeds , the electric power steering lacks the feel though and plays a spoilsport here , but that's how it is and even the Audi A4 comes with a EPS unit.
+Much better build and paint quality - The doors feel pretty solid and the paint quality VW uses is just excellent.

-Boring Design inside out - I know many people would argue that its classy or timeless but to me its more suited for people who are in their 50s , the car looks dull in comparison to City and Verna and even the interiors , though built well , it is a major deal breaker for me , despite it being a better drivers car than the city.
-NVH Levels - They are on the higher side too , and both the city and vento have much inferior NVH levels than the verna , even the ecosport!
-VW's Service & Reliability - The car is more expensive to maintain and even then the experience is less than satisfying , Europians just cant match Japanese's reliability.
-Although its more than just Polo with a boot and even though the boot integration is done well in Vento , it still at the end of the day looks like Polo with a boot , the city on the other hand though looks more like the Jazz (they share the same platform) than its previous generations but it still has many elements which kind of hide on which car this is based upon and the interiors although a little similar and not identical at all and are significantly re-worked for the city , boot integration is much better too.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 9th June 2014 at 19:22.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 20:37   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Hey , So here's my unbiased take on my car (City) , and my views on Vento

City
+Looks great from the outside and the interiors are designed well too , being a fresh design from the side and rear , this looks much lively than the other cars in this segment which have started to look dated now.
+Acres on space on the inside , the rear seat is an excellent place to be in.

-The engine although peppy enough for city runs feels strictly average on the highway , since you are coming from an ecosport expect the engine performance to be pretty similar , but the NVH levels are significantly better in the ecosport , i would also like to add that City's NVH levels are nowhere as bad as they were on the test drive units , and till about 2.5k RPM , the engine noise isn't bothersome at all , its reasonably smooth too.
-The dynamics are a step down from the ecosport and the car just does'nt take hard cornering as well as your car.Its no verna though and are more in between Vento and Verna here.
-The AC again like i reported is just average in cities like Delhi and again a step down from the ecosport.
-Have been noticing a lot of cities on the road lately and i feel it looks a tad too narrow from the rear , Verna , Ecosport etc look much well proportioned.

Vento
+The Engine - its a pure gem and its a treat to drive the car everytime , it entertains me as much as my Cruze does and that turbo whoosh is addictive , is pretty efficient too.

Thanks Rocketscience for your detailed comparison between Vento and City.

Some of my Team BHP friends even suggested me to look at FIAT Linea as it seems to be the dark horse.

With 10.27L for the top variant seems interesting. But they have earned themselves such a bad name in the arena of service that it is very very difficult to trust them anymore. Even with such poor numbers which they are selling, it would be super difficult to trust these guys. With such meager numbers there factory must be running in a red balance sheet for sure. But surely there super efficient and reliable motor mated to a 185 Ground clearance and a nice interior makes me really tempted to go for it.

Because I have experienced really bad from Ford, I do not find any trust in these new brands...

Most Viewed