Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-15.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 3329310)
I guess it has the audio system. What I made from the spec document is that the SV audio system does not have touch screen.

None of the audio systems have a touchscreen interface, unlike the AVN version of the 3rd Gen City. The ACC has touch controls.

V and VX gets 5" Monitor and 6 speakers with 2 tweeters, while the lower variants possibly don't get the monitor and has only 4 speakers. This I have concluded from the variant feature scans uploaded by Volkman.

Quote from T-BHP review, please take note of the last line about 3rd Gen City:

"The factory audio system has 8 speakers. Each door carries a speaker & tweeter, both. The head-unit will accept music from any of the popular sources, be it CD / MP3 / USB / AUX / Bluetooth. We played MP3s through a smartphone and found the sound quality to be excellent by OEM standards. There's good bass at the front, while the tweeters make a welcome difference to sharpness levels. Like most factory systems, this audio focuses primarily at the front. The rear speakers are weaker and lack the required bass. I doubt too many City owners will be upgrading their systems in the after-market. No issues with reading the head-unit display over the course of the day either. Equally, I must add that the 3rd-gen City's factory fitted AVN head-unit was superior (close look here (Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System)). Among other things, the previous generation offered a touchscreen interface, navigation, DVD player and remote control."

IMO E variant will be real value for money if they price it aggressively. It has most of the usual stuff like all power windows etc. Audio system can be added later on.

I was reading the Autocar review, which says the skinny tires are for fuel efficiency reasons and that is also why they are using "specially-developed" low-rolling resistance tires. The picture clearly shows that they are MRF ZVTV. What is so special about the MRF tires? Are they better than other silica tires like Michelin Energy XM1s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 3329630)
I was reading the Autocar review, which says the skinny tires are for fuel efficiency reasons and that is also why they are using "specially-developed" low-rolling resistance tires. The picture clearly shows that they are MRF ZVTV. What is so special about the MRF tires? Are they better than other silica tires like Michelin Energy XM1s?

No, I guess they would be simply cheaper than XM1s and hence the car manufacturer uses them.

So just like in the Amaze, the base petrol has No ABS, but the base diesel has it.
Ans IIRC, the 3rd Gen City came with ABS and Dual Airbags as standard across the range. This by itself is conveying a message that Honda is looking to play the VFM game once again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 3329658)
So just like in the Amaze, the base petrol has No ABS, but the base diesel has it.
Ans IIRC, the 3rd Gen City came with ABS and Dual Airbags as standard across the range. This by itself is conveying a message that Honda is looking to play the VFM game once again!

And this makes my Pegasus, the 2012 Corporate Edition, a tremendous VFM car now. More so because there won't be a CE variant for this 2014 City (at least until the facelift).

-----------------------------------------------------

Honda releases the 2014 Honda City TVCs, highlighting the qualities of the i-DTEC and the CVT:

(in Hindi)

[youtube]JDtxQasF8Hk[/youtube]

(in English)

[youtube]LayjwGOgdFg[/youtube]

In addition, the official Indian 2014 Honda City micro-site now has a link to Honda's engineering marvels as well. (opens in a separate window)

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-untitled.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 3329596)
IMO E variant will be real value for money if they price it aggressively. It has most of the usual stuff like all power windows etc. Audio system can be added later on.

On close scrutiny of the listed features of Honda City 3rd Gen and 4th Gen it appears that they have changed the nomenclature of the variants as follows :

3rd Gen equivalent 4th Gen

Corporate --- E
E --- S
S --- SV
V--- V
V (AVN/Sunroof)--- VX

For instance, the alloy wheels used to start with Honda S Variant in 3rd Gen whereas it is starting in SV variant in 2014 Honda City.

That aside, in Amaze - Honda gave Heat absorbing front windscreen as a separate feature for VX and VXAT models. However it appears that the said feature is not appearing in the new Honda City 2014 considering what has been displayed so far. Quite strange.

Any leaks about the pricing of variants?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 3329630)

See Autocar reviews ffrom a few years ago. Skinny tyres was their pet refrain. Remember almost all India cars can with profit do with a Plus One upgrade. Normal for the enthusiast vs Bean Counter approach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3330003)
See Autocar reviews ffrom a few years ago. Skinny tyres was their pet refrain. Remember almost all India cars can with profit do with a Plus One upgrade. Normal for the enthusiast vs Bean Counter approach.

+1 on this. Have been subscribing Autocar for ages. In the last section called buyers guide, the cons on honda city have been skinny tyres for years together now. We should not go by that. Every driving enthusiast has his/her "driving configuration". Choose your :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3330003)

I dont know why the skinny tyres are such an issue. For around 6000 in total, one can replace 4 tyres with fatter superior rubber. I got Michelin 195s the day we got our 2008 city in exchange for the mrfs. My advice to everyone is to go to the tyre store the dsy you get your city and replace thr tyres. Some dealers will offer you the mrp on the mrfs and not cut 200to 500 which is the norm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 3330018)

I dont know why the skinny tyres are such an issue. For around 6000 in total, one can replace 4 tyres with fatter superior rubber. I got Michelin 195s the day we got our 2008 city in exchange for the mrfs. My advice to everyone is to go to the tyre store the dsy you get your city and replace thr tyres. Some dealers will offer you the mrp on the mrfs and not cut 200to 500 which is the norm

A stupid question. If I replace 175 with 195, do I have to replace the alloys also?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 3330018)

But in certain cases, dealers threaten to void warranty in case of any such mods including tyre upgrades. And the worse thing is that they will cite this only when you try to go for warranty of costly spares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuelInjector (Post 3330016)
+1 on this. Have been subscribing Autocar for ages. In the last section called buyers guide, the cons on honda city have been skinny tyres for years together now. We should not go by that. Every driving enthusiast has his/her "driving configuration". Choose your :)

175mm tyres are skinny - no two ways about it. GTO pointed out in the review that even Dzire (and Switft, Ritz) ZXI/ZDI models have 185mm x-section tyres. The diesel needs atleast 185mm, the petrol 195mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambadan (Post 3330026)
A stupid question. If I replace 175 with 195, do I have to replace the alloys also?

Not a stupid question at all!! Quite a important one, actually.
Depends on the specs of the alloys given with the car. Every alloy/rim size (like 5.5J, 6J etc) has a min and max width of tyre that can be fitted on, with middle widths being optimal. So, you can replace with 195mm on the stock rims if they are atleast 5.5J, preferrably 6J rims.