Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2013, 12:07   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
175mm tyres are skinny - no two ways about it. GTO pointed out in the review that even Dzire (and Switft, Ritz) ZXI/ZDI models have 185mm x-section tyres. The diesel needs atleast 185mm, the petrol 195mm.
Tend to disagree. Checkout the multi 1000s owners who are still on 175s.
Having said that, if i buy one of these, i would definitely like to upgrade.
Old 28th December 2013, 12:38   #227
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Just got a call from my SA and the display vehicle has arrived, they are not yet showcasing this on the floor however they are arranging a private walk through to all the customers who have booked it.I would be going there this afternoon and will update you folks when Iam back.

cheers,

pdma
Old 28th December 2013, 14:11   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I dont know why the skinny tyres are such an issue. For around 6000 in total, one can replace 4 tyres with fatter superior rubber. I got Michelin 195s the day we got our 2008 city in exchange for the mrfs. My advice to everyone is to go to the tyre store the dsy you get your city and replace thr tyres. Some dealers will offer you the mrp on the mrfs and not cut 200to 500 which is the norm
I have been mentioning this as well. I have seen people here comment they won't buy City because of the skinny tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
A stupid question. If I replace 175 with 195, do I have to replace the alloys also?
Specific to the alloys in the current City, it is not an issue I believe. Technical aspect has been explained in a post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
But in certain cases, dealers threaten to void warranty in case of any such mods including tyre upgrades. And the worse thing is that they will cite this only when you try to go for warranty of costly spares.
Unless you come across some one bent on making you pay, Honda folks are usually cool about this. I say from personal experience, but would be good to know if someone has experienced otherwise.
Old 28th December 2013, 15:39   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
See Autocar reviews ffrom a few years ago. Skinny tyres was their pet refrain. Remember almost all India cars can with profit do with a Plus One upgrade. Normal for the enthusiast vs Bean Counter approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
+1 on this. Have been subscribing Autocar for ages. In the last section called buyers guide, the cons on honda city have been skinny tyres for years together now. We should not go by that. Every driving enthusiast has his/her "driving configuration". Choose your
Perhaps my post wasn't worded correctly. Autocar did criticize the thin tires but they cited a Honda engineer explaining the rationale for them. The engineer said they used special wheel bearings and specially-developed tires, which are MRF ZVTV. I couldn't figure what is so special about the ZVTVs.

However Autocar did say that because of the tweaks to the suspension and chassis the tires, despite being thin, offered good grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
But in certain cases, dealers threaten to void warranty in case of any such mods including tyre upgrades. And the worse thing is that they will cite this only when you try to go for warranty of costly spares.
A valid concern. On my current City, I only upgraded the tires after the 2+2 warranty period ended.
Old 28th December 2013, 18:26   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I have been mentioning this as well. I have seen people here comment they won't buy City because of the skinny tyres!

Specific to the alloys in the current City, it is not an issue I believe. Technical aspect has been explained in a post above.

Unless you come across some one bent on making you pay, Honda folks are usually cool about this. I say from personal experience, but would be good to know if someone has experienced otherwise.
I have owned a few Hondas over the years and i have never faced an issue with a dealer due to tyre size being upgraded. Honda is honestly really ok with this. Overseas the City's come with 195 tires and this is a reasonable size.
Old 28th December 2013, 19:02   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I have owned a few Hondas over the years and i have never faced an issue with a dealer due to tyre size being upgraded. Honda is honestly really ok with this. Overseas the City's come with 195 tires and this is a reasonable size.
Honda City comes with only 175/65 R15 tyres in most of the overseas models in Singapore, Malayasia and Thailand.

The 185/55 R16 tyres are available in only a few models like (SV AT) in Thailand and (E/E+) models in Malaysia. Needless to mention all the models comes with Disc brakes in all 4 wheels.

http://honda.com.my/model/specifications/city
http://www.honda.co.th/en/city

There are no 195 tires with Honda City models even in Australia, Brazil and Argentina.
Old 28th December 2013, 23:06   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

The car sure is in demand. Dealer says delivery can be expected only by April if booked today. 95 cars booked already and they are looking at getting about 30 cars a month, most of them the VX diesel. Booking is expected to further pick up pace when the prices are announced and the TD vehicles are made available.

The official brochure, for everyone's reference
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-1.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-2.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-3.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-4.jpg
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 00:32   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The official brochure, for everyone's reference
Thanks a lot Shreyans for the brochure. Did they share only these pages or the ones with features and colour options also?
Old 29th December 2013, 01:22   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks a lot Shreyans for the brochure. Did they share only these pages or the ones with features and colour options also?
Just this much. They were guarded about the color options. The review though says 6 colors, so my guess is White, Black, Red/Maroon, Silver, the new Brown and the good old Champagne Gold. The detailed brochure with the variant details, feature list and color options will be made available after the price announcement on the 7th. Test drives will also commence only then.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 07:01   #235
BHPian

As mentioned in my previous post I have been to the showroom yesterday.I received a warm welcome from the SA and then was led to a lower basement 2 floors beneath and there in a corner stood the silver color city with IDTEC labels stamped across door panels.Was it love at first sight ?.
Not exactly , well the experience of being shown a car hidden deep under which would be displayed to everyone only after the official launch was first of its kind for me and truly overwhelming.
After seeing the car in flesh & in person here are my first impressions

Interior : Its space,space & space all over even after adjusting the driver seat to a very laid back position there was sufficient leg room at the rear.
The blue dials are an excellent view , the overall dashboard looks pretty decent.The seats are very comfortable specially the cushioning in the rear is excellent.The vehicle I saw is a VX so it had a sun roof and all the gizmos that Honda threw into the new city.
However I was not allowed to start the engine which I was pretty desperate about to listen to the engine noise.
I have checked the power windows of the rear doors and have slid them completely down for a couple of times however did not notice the sound or the door pads moving out as mentioned in the review , may be I missed something or Honda did some corrections post the media drive will recheck this when I go for a test drive post launch.

Exterior : The face looks familiar , however there are distant sharp lines on the front bumper which adds some character to the car. Yes the Grill looks awkward.The sides looks pretty good with the lines well embedded and the rear is a killer IMO.
I dont even want to talk about the alloy wheels (they remind me of the exhaust fan in my kitchen).
I loved the headlamps and the tail lamps.The doors close with a decent thud and did not sound tinny.
The car surely has a definite sporty look all together and the blue dials inside IMO are also to add to the same feel.

Others : I loved the short throw gears , and the clutch feels light when pressed.The Vx is equipped with a smart key and the SA thew the key into the boot and tried to close it voila !!!! the boot refused to close. Iam not sure if this feature is already available in other cars but this is a handy option.Horn could have been better (oh yes this is a lot better than Amaze).

Summary : The car looks very good however not love at first sight for me (Looks wise I still feel no one is even close to the Linea). The looks have grown on me since it has been close to a month post the unveil and my perception changed to a large extent after looking at the initial pictures.
Would I buy it ?, well it all boils down to price which is still under the wraps.I for sure cannot afford (I would not be availing a car loan) the V or VX however , If I can get the SV within my budget I would be pretty happy.The engine noise & GC will have a role to play in my decision making so I will have to wait for the test drive in Jan.

cheers ,
pdma
pdma is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 20:47   #236
BHPian

Rated the thread 5 stars!

With this 4th gen Honda City, Honda has played quite safe & IMO its to that extent that the car no longer is exciting. Without a doubt it will be lapped up by the aam junta in the country because, 1 its a Honda(there's a lot of brand loyalty & positivity about Honda in India & even the company knows it what's with their new TV Commercial where the anchor says something like 'you dont believe & suddenly wears a Honda coat & then says now you believe) & second being a japanese car it's supposed to have attributes like reliability, ease of ownership & the trouble free nature with it.

But what needs to be seen is that the car lacks quite a lot in crucial areas - NVH of the i-DTEC, ok ok suspension, steering isnt anything great, 175 section tyres on a million+ rupee car, those alloys, the front end design looks ugly with that chrome moustache & the interiors too while roomy & high on features lack design flair & a overall feel good factor. This 4th gen car is clearly going downhill especially when compared to its predecessors.
Old 29th December 2013, 22:44   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Thanks for the correction.

Is it confirmed that the CVT is only on SV and VX variants?
Any updates on CVT variants? I really hope Honda will provide V variant also.
Old 30th December 2013, 07:37   #238
BHPian

The 4th generation Honda City looks good in pictures. Waiting to see the actual car in the showroom. Looks like they have reduced the interior beige on the dashboard.

Had been to the local Honda showroom and asked about the new City. The SA speculated the cost of the V variant to be at least 50K more than the V variant of the 3rd generation Honda City. Let's wait to see how Honda prices it. We purchased our 2012 Honda City V MT in August 2012 and the ex-showroom price then was INR 9,02,000. A few months back when I saw the Honda website, the ANHC VMT was showing a price of close to INR 9,20,000. So may be that the, the ex-showroom price of the 2014 Honda City V MT could be close to INR 9,50,000, specially since they have added some new features like ACC, touch screen central console, folding ORVM etc.

Also, he SA told me that they have got quite a few bookings for both, diesel & petrol. I am planning to go to the Honda showroom soon and will post back my findings on the new Honda City.
Old 30th December 2013, 08:47   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

I am planning to go to the Honda showroom soon and will post back my findings on the new Honda City.
Hello geotracks
Please let me know which showroom , I have already established good rapport with Pride in Madhapur. Please let me know if you need any help I can talk to their team lead directly.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:09   #240
BHPian

I had pre-booked Honda City Diesel. I like everything about the car except NVH level that everyone seems to be talking about. That one thing might be a deal breaker for me. I intend to TD Amaze D sometime this week to take a call on this. If NVH isn't satisfactory might just opt for the 1.5 CVT and hope to have some fun with the paddle shifts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks