Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 13:14   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Is this engine noise belt issue specific to petrol only or someone has experienced this in diesel as well?

I haven't heard any such noise till now.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:20   #2672
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Sometimes get a feeling Honda chose a cheaper part to cut costs. You can see evidence of desperate cost cutting measure all across the car. From the exposed wiring in the boot to the missing low beam indicator on the dashboard.

It is high time Honda takes notice and gives the correct solution. They have ruined the new car ownership experience of a lot of people because of this.
You're right about that. The previous generation (3rd Gen) Honda City was not a real success not because of quality but because of the higher prices compared to other cars and only because they had a petrol model when the petrol prices were comparatively very high.

To clock up volumes, the Diesel was introduced which was a runaway success and the prices of both Petrol and Diesel models are now in par with other cars. To make up that, Honda might have introduced these cost cutting measures. Some of the cost cutting like exposed cables and cladding, we can have it done. The proven petrol engine is still the best in segment though the drive belt is an irritating rather than serious issue and the Diesel most fuel efficient.

Another problem might be, Honda was too much focusing on Mobilio, which might have affected the Quality Assurance part in City models.

However, as a complete package overall this is the best car in the segment until we need to see how the Ciaz and New Verna (to be launched next year) fares up.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 26th August 2014 at 13:25.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:38   #2673
BHPian

I find it difficult read the Honda City Manual as the font is too small and more greyish (than to be called black). I searched for a PDF version and could not locate one. I would be thankful if any BHPian has any information.

Took me a good time to find out about the doors latches locking automatically if not opened with in 30 seconds of unlocking using remote.
Seran Manian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:44   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I find it difficult read the Honda City Manual as the font is too small and more greyish (than to be called black). I searched for a PDF version and could not locate one. I would be thankful if any BHPian has any information.

Took me a good time to find out about the doors latches locking automatically if not opened with in 30 seconds of unlocking using remote.
Do post the PDF version here as well if you managed to get one. I have been searching but haven't found it anywhere.

And that auto lock is 40 seconds. An excellent feature i must say in case you accidentally press the key and car is opened without you knowing it.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:07   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post
3M Car Care add-ons the very next day:

Under Body Anti-Rust Coating (5 Years warranty with every once in 6 months service)
Paint sealant Essential
CR70 sun film on windshield, sides and rear (5 years warranty)
PPF on running board (Side step area), side mirrors (painted area), door handle cups, door side edges, boot strip on bumper, bottom two sides on front bumper, (Interior) touchscreen AC control, audio player screen and on piano black finish.
How much did this 3M treatment cost you? I am planning on a similar treatment except the underbody coating and the sun films.

I am particularly interested in the paint sealant and paint protection film. Are they the same? I also plan to get the car treated and detailed by Mohsin. So let me know whether these are different or same?
Old 26th August 2014, 21:49   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Is this engine noise belt issue specific to petrol only or someone has experienced this in diesel as well?

Even I am a bit bemused about this sound which everyone is talking about and couldn't figure out how it sounds. The only sound I hear after opening the bonnet is like ticking of a mechanical clock and it doesn't sound like grinding or the sound of metal scraping against belt or other metallic thing.
Can someone upload that how an i-VTEC should sound ?

PS: I own an i-VTEC.
Old 26th August 2014, 23:30   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Hello Harry,

Yes this issue is specific to the petrol cars and seems like Honda is introducing a new belt to address this in the new cars as pointed out by adarsh76 . IMO they should send a service advice to all the service centers to swap the belt with the new one on the previous cars (where ever applicable) when they come for the next service , they should atleast do this to regain some of the lost confidence due to slack in quality as expressed by many owners on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Even I am a bit bemused about this sound which everyone is talking about and couldn't figure out how it sounds.
Hello there,

The noise is not present in all the petrol cars , however in most of them.

The sound clip is attached in page 177 by Jedknight for your reference.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-45311c075dd98a3a.jpg

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 12:47   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I visited Hot Tracks today at VictoriaRd and checked out the mats. The rear part is a single piece as you said but the edges are not stitched- they are bare and show the layers of the mat. It looks as if someone took a pair of scissors and did a nice job of cutting the mats to fit the 3d contours. The edges were bare and raw. I feel this is prone to skinning and peeling at the edges over time. As you say the edges are stitched nicely, can you please take a cloae up pic of the edges of the mats and share it with me? Thanks!!!
I did a close inspection and i am satisfied with the quality. I did not feel that some one had cut it with a scissor. The layers are slightly visible but they are hardly in millimeters. Not sure if it can cause issues. Stitching/ molding location is present couple of centimeters from the edge. That's required to fit the shape of the floor. I think stitching/ folding cannot be done at the extreme edge as that would mean, it will not fit the floor shape. I took close up pictures, zoomed in and posting for your reference. Hope this helps all the potential buyers.

Black noodles are the Velcro for sticking on to the carpet. Cream studs that you see are the mat top surface and the white thin layer (evident in Image 1 and 3 clearly) that you see in between is the layer that between the top and bottom

Quote:

I am particularly interested in the paint sealant and paint protection film. Are they the same? I also plan to get the car treated and detailed by Mohsin. So let me know whether these are different or same?
Mohsin should be able to explain to you about this. Reach out to him through phone. If you are not able to get his contact details, PM me
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140827_084041.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140827_084121.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20140827_084131.jpg  

Last edited by Vahanam : 27th August 2014 at 12:56. Reason: Grammar
Vahanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 13:10   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post

Yes this issue is specific to the petrol cars and seems like Honda is introducing a new belt to address this in the new cars as pointed out by adarsh76 . IMO they should send a service advice to all the service centers to swap the belt with the new one on the previous cars (where ever applicable) when they come for the next service , they should atleast do this to regain some of the lost confidence due to slack in quality as expressed by many owners on this forum
Yes I get the same noise from my Petrol CVT. When asked about it during first service, I was told that it's normal. I was also told that any noise that can't be heard when inside the car with windows rolled up is not an issue.

I will take it up again during the second service.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:45   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's sad. Please do buy from authorised showrooms only. Otherwise you might be encouraging the aftermarket sale of such parts- one reason why they were stolen in the first place.
Thanks for your cut-and-dried response. I called up Honda and they asked me to go to service center for replacement - 800 Rs. Going to their Hosur Rd service center itself costs 500 Rs (Fuel and NICE road tolls). Will get them replaced during next service. Very well said on the aftermarket scenario.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:14   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
I took close up pictures, zoomed in and posting for your reference. Hope this helps all the potential buyers.

Mohsin should be able to explain to you about this. Reach out to him through phone. If you are not able to get his contact details, PM me
Super thanks for the Super close up pics! I bought the 3D Mats for 5750 and they are the real deal - same as the pics you posted. I also visited Mohsin personally and spoke to him and understood the various treatment options available. I want to handover the car to him after the 1st service (so that his CQuartz treatment remains fresher for longer and is not rubbed away by regular/run of the mill polishers).

I want to know whether I really need to go for paint protection film (PPF)- I think its a real value add, specially on the bumpers and mirrors, given that the car color is C.Red and its prone to nicks and scratches in Bangalore's traffic. I'm sure any amount of detailing and giving the car a mirror like finish is not going to protect it from 2 wheelers trying to squeeze their 1.5ft wide bikes in a gap thats 1.4999ft wide!

IMHO, its better to get the paint treated by Mohsin and then go for the PPF?!?! Otherwise, he cant work on the "film protected" bumpers during his detailing sessions!?! Am confused!
Old 27th August 2014, 15:27   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Super thanks for the Super close up pics! I bought the 3D Mats for 5750 and they are the real deal - same as the pics you posted. I also visited Mohsin personally and spoke to him and understood the various treatment options available. I want to handover the car to him after the 1st service (so that his CQuartz treatment remains fresher for longer and is not rubbed away by regular/run of the mill polishers).

I want to know whether I really need to go for paint protection film (PPF)- I think its a real value add, specially on the bumpers and mirrors, given that the car color is C.Red and its prone to nicks and scratches in Bangalore's traffic. I'm sure any amount of detailing and giving the car a mirror like finish is not going to protect it from 2 wheelers trying to squeeze their 1.5ft wide bikes in a gap thats 1.4999ft wide!

IMHO, its better to get the paint treated by Mohsin and then go for the PPF?!?! Otherwise, he cant work on the "film protected" bumpers during his detailing sessions!?! Am confused!
Cquartz - The earlier the better. If you are giving for 1st service, more work for the detailer. I did my cquartz next day after delivery (Details coming up in my thread soon). If you are serious about cquartz, dont even allow the service to wash you car i would say. They'll gift you water marks, swirl marks and polish marks. Once you have applied cquartz, no dealer polishers have business touching your car paint. . Learn how to maintain the paint protection too. Ask Mohsin's opinion on whether PPF is required. He gives honest opinions and he is not pushy. So feel free to talk to him.

While i was talking to him, heard him saying (IIRC) that cquartz comes out nicely on Carnelian Red amongst the city colors. Lucky You! Negotiating Bikers is part of our driving skills or rather the main driving skill.

Where did you purchase the 3D mats?
Vahanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 16:55   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Yes this issue is specific to the petrol cars and seems like Honda is introducing a new belt to address this in the new cars as pointed out by adarsh76 . IMO they should send a service advice to all the service centers to swap the belt with the new one on the previous cars (where ever applicable) when they come for the next service , they should atleast do this to regain some of the lost confidence due to slack in quality as expressed by many owners on this forum.
The issue has been resolved after they replaced Engine idler bearing during the first service of the car.

The other issues i have faced so far (around six months & 5200 kms of city driving)

- Sound from engine bay due to a faulty clutch plate - Resolved @ 2nd service
- Sounds from door panels (Will address it during 3rd free service)
- Hard gear shift (when slotting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd @rpm >1k)
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:16   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
The issue has been resolved after they replaced Engine idler bearing during the first service of the car.
When was this replaced and roughly how many kms have you done after the replacement?

I find your car is a manual gear model. If the root cause is engine idler bearing, will it be the same for CVT as well?
Old 28th August 2014, 13:02   #2685
BHPian

Cquartz Treatment: I am impressed after having a look at the Web-site that depicts the details of Cquartz Treatment (Vahanam has got it done at Bangalore).

Any Outlet in Chennai for such treatment? Any Chennai Team BHPians have got it done?

Would appreciate if they can share the details.

Most Viewed