Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:04   #2866
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

I have a new noise in my City. Comes from drive train somewhere not sure where. Like a grinding sound. Is not very loud. You have to roll up the windows switch off the music system to hear it. But once you become aware of it, becomes very irritating. Looks like i got a lemon or Honda really screwed up on quality control.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:02   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have a new noise in my City. Comes from drive train where not sure where. Like grinding sound. Is not very loud. You have to roll up the windows switch off the music system to hear it. But once you become aware of it, becomes very irritating. Looks like i got a lemon or Honda really screwed up on quality control.
Hi. This issue has been discussed previously. It is related to the drive belt. I suggest you look it up. Someone has been kind enough to upload the sound too. Think it will help you.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:37   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hi. This issue has been discussed previously. It is related to the drive belt. I suggest you look it up. Someone has been kind enough to upload the sound too. Think it will help you.

I am well aware of the drive belt noise issue. ( My car has that as well ).
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:16   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
This is a different noise coming from the drive train. I mean it is not a constant rining/grinding sound. I hear this sound when the car is in lower gears at slow speeds. ( At high speed i guess tyre/wind noise masks this sound ) Suppose i accelerate to around 20 kmph in second gear. Now i lift my foot off the accelerator and do not press the clutch. So the car is sort of now engine breaking as it looses speed. This is the point i can clearly hear the sound. A sort of grinding/whining sound. Now suppose i accelerate again i hear a slightly different sound. I have a feeling this sound is coming from the clutch assembely. I will get it checked out in the next service which due soon.
I guess this sound is what I have in my Wagon R which is a manual gear model. The sound started coming after the clutch assembly was replaced. It is similar to a grinding sound and will stop once I press the clutch lightly. When I noticed first, I told this to Maruti service and they lubricated the clutch parts. But, the sound came back again, and it's still there. I forgot to tell this in the subsequent services.

One explanation given was the accumulation of dust.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:16   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
I have the very same noise on my iDTEC. Since it happens only on lower gears and occasionally for me I have been sort of living with it. I should get it fixed one of these days.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:47   #2871
Senior - BHPian

A couple of days back during a Highway drive, while accelerating after going over a speed breaker, I was watching the RPM needle, it was going up relatively slowly across 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and after it crossed 1700, watched the needle surge from 1800 to 2400 and past very quickly. This surge in the acceleration with the turbo kicking in the Diesel City is indeed addictive and I felt the urge to repeat that down the road. Having driven Petrol cars before (read: without turbo), it was good to experience the pull after the turbo kicking in during hard acceleration.

Its easy to miss this surge during city drives during slower acceleration as the turbo lag in the Diesel City is almost non-existent.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd September 2014 at 15:56.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:24   #2872
Geo
BHPian

Re: RC entry issue: Honda City from purchased from Perfect Honda, Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
@Geo or anyone from Bangalore or places where the RTO issues the smart card: Do you have any values against STDG/SLPR in your RTO Smart Card? For me it is just blank.

I have no clue what it stands for. My best guess is that it is Standing/Sleeper - an odd combination though.
It is blank for me as well. Smart card from Bangalore.
Old 24th September 2014, 18:52   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. The issue is with Clutch assembly. I had a similar issue with my car (IVTec), it was resolved after replacing one of the faulty plate.
feroz_009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 08:59   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
You are right. The issue is with Clutch assembly. I had a similar issue with my car (IVTec), it was resolved after replacing one of the faulty plate.
Thank You Feroz ,

Another serious issue surfacing , hope this is not as wide spread as the issue with the idler pulley & belt.

@ Honda please wake your QA team out of their slumber , these kind of issues are definitely not welcome.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 25th September 2014, 10:41   #2875
BHPian

Are these problems ironed out in post-August cars? If not then we have to be on the watch for any mass recalls coming up in the near future. Sadly, quality control has been compromised to bring down costs. But why so much? Already you are sharing one engine in three cars. You have been using more or less the same petrol engine since 2 models. I don't even want to mention the tyres.
Old 25th September 2014, 13:54   #2876
BHPian

Recently i upgraded my ANHC 2014 with Leather seats, have done a detailed post in the below thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3542506

Some snaps of the same

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_3613.jpg
ckmraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 15:29   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmraja View Post
Recently i upgraded my ANHC 2014 with Leather seats, have done a detailed post in the below thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3542506

Some snaps of the same

Attachment 1292202
The Link in the thread takes me to a blank page. Is the link ok? If I copy the URL info and open in a separate window it works.

Last edited by Seran Manian : 25th September 2014 at 15:36.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:39   #2878
BHPian

The Link is working fine, one of my colleague just opened and read the post.

Its working fine for him, should work for you as well
Old 25th September 2014, 19:02   #2879
BHPian

I recently noticed uneven panel gaps on the boot lid.
Can someone else confirm if its same with their car or my bootlid got misaligned.

Right Side:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image2.jpg

Left Side:
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image3.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image1.jpg
Old 25th September 2014, 19:22   #2880
BHPian

I finally decided to change my headlamps. Flipping through the manual came across the specifications indicated for the Headlight Bulbs.

High beam headlight: 60 W (HB3 for halogen bulb type)
Low beam headlight: 55 W (H11 for halogen bulb type)

Like suggested in the thread, started looking at the options of Philips Extreme Vision and Osram NB unlimited. Inclined towards Philips Extreme Vision. So here's my dilemma.

I can see different sizes of Philips H1, H4, H7, H8, H11, H12 and so on.

I searched for H11 specific and could find 55W bulbs. But when I searched for HB3 specific and it shows the Wattage as 65W.

Would the 65W HB3 be compatible against the one mentioned in the manual (60W HB3)?

If yes, would there be any issue?

Has anyone upgraded to either Philips or Osram on the new City?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks