Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:32   #3046
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I have recently driven to and from Chandigarh covering a total distance of 550kms. But fortunately, since I had to drive around 85 kms from showroom to residence, after first 30 odd kms, I too felt little strained on lower back. Got the seat height and reach adjusted and no back pains at all..try it. Maybe it will help. The seat though soft and comfortable, I felt little stiffness would have helped.
I doubt whether it is due to the seat factor alone. Usually, I drive to my office with my official shoes put on which has a moderate thickness sole. I get pain on my right side of my back which I guess is because of the excessive use of right leg for braking during heavy traffic. However, when I use sandals which has a light thickness sole, I do not experience this pain on shorter drives.

Improper posture and seating position is also a cause. Still trying various options by adjusting seat to eliminate this.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:04   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmraja View Post
3D foot mat for 1150 is dam cheap, are you really talking about 3D mats. I heard its around 6500 INR for 3D mats of Maxspider

Can you please post some photos of the foot mat
please find attached photos of the 3D foot mats which I purchased from Om Car Accessories in Chandigarh. Please let me know what you think of them. They have velcro beneath them to prevent shifting and also the driver's footmat has got additional strips to prevent early wear out. Notice the neat groove on he drivers side mat for the dead pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20141023_124058.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20141023_124133.jpg  

Last edited by aviator1101 : 23rd October 2014 at 15:06. Reason: spelling mistake
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 19:08   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

I haven't experienced anything like this cos I haven't done more than 2.30 hours drive at a stretch. But I do have Cervical so to be on the safe side can you post a pic of that Amaron backrest and also from where you bought it. Thanks.
Hi Harry, I had bought Amron backrest after researching online and checking with some folks. Here's how it looks (not on my car though). Also a link to the website http://amron.in/executive.htm

I think you may buy them online at healthkartplus for a discount (went for the beige one as it blends better with the leather seats). I bought them from a local pharmacy in Gurgaon who was generous in getting me a 13% discount on the MRP. Hope that helps :-)
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-execarseat.jpg  

Old 25th October 2014, 00:22   #3049
BHPian

Covered 728 kms till now. Going easy on the throttle during the running in period as advised by seniors. Not crossed the 2000 rpm mark till now. Few observations :
Firstly, when i start the car in the morning, I religiously let it run at idling rpm for about 90 seconds. Initially the rpm is about 1200 but gradually it settles down after 40-50 seconds to 800. Is this normal?
Secondly, whenever I change gears, say at around 1700-1800 rpm, the rpm needle rises slightly and then falls. I have consciously tried to release the throttle first and then depress clutch, but it happens every time. Is this the case with other owners also? Pl let know.
Old 25th October 2014, 01:09   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Covered 728 kms till now. Going easy on the throttle during the running in period as advised by seniors. Not crossed the 2000 rpm mark till now. Few observations :
Firstly, when i start the car in the morning, I religiously let it run at idling rpm for about 90 seconds. Initially the rpm is about 1200 but gradually it settles down after 40-50 seconds to 800. Is this normal?
Secondly, whenever I change gears, say at around 1700-1800 rpm, the rpm needle rises slightly and then falls. I have consciously tried to release the throttle first and then depress clutch, but it happens every time. Is this the case with other owners also? Pl let know.
Hello aviator,

Yes initially the RPM is slightly on the higher side and gradually settles down , also as far as I know the slight fluctuation in the RPM ( "Rev Hang" ) when changing gears is normal behavior and nothing much to worry about IMO.

Kindly find more details in the below thread ,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-gears.html

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 25th October 2014 at 01:17.
Old 25th October 2014, 05:40   #3051
BANNED

Quote:
Yes it is absolutely normal.

Quote:
Secondly, whenever I change gears, say at around 1700-1800 rpm, the rpm needle rises slightly and then falls. I have consciously tried to release the throttle first and then depress clutch, but it happens every time. Is this the case with other owners also?
Yes this is a normal behaviour too. The slight blip in RPM that is seen is to get the gear changes better and efficient way.

Enjoy the car and the drive buddy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 07:08   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv View Post

Also, the TBHP review mentions it may be possible to get the ORVM auto lock/unlock activated at dealer level. Has anybody done this ?

Thx !!
My service station informed me that there is no such fix. Can't say if they are well informed.
Old 25th October 2014, 19:07   #3053
BHPian

Today I went for a TD of City and Verna petrol versions. I felt Verna 1.6 much more powerful than the City in my short TD. Basically while flooring the accelerator pedal on 2nd gear at very slow speeds, Verna responded very well compared to City. I am thinking of going for one more TD in empty roads to see the handling at 100+ kmph speeds.

I was more inclined towards City before taking the TD, but a bit disappointed at the result. I just wanted to know is it just me who felt this shortage of outright performance in City? Is it the gear ratios thats spoiling the fun in an otherwise similar engine tune with respect to Verna? My usage will be 80% city and 20% long highway drives.

As of today Verna is offering cash discounts and exchange bonus compared to no offers for City with an added 3 months wait period.
Old 25th October 2014, 19:34   #3054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Today I went for a TD of City and Verna petrol versions. I felt Verna 1.6 much more powerful than the City in my short TD. Basically while flooring the accelerator pedal on 2nd gear at very slow speeds, Verna responded very well compared to City. I am thinking of going for one more TD in empty roads to see the handling at 100+ kmph speeds.

I was more inclined towards City before taking the TD, but a bit disappointed at the result. I just wanted to know is it just me who felt this shortage of outright performance in City? Is it the gear ratios thats spoiling the fun in an otherwise similar engine tune with respect to Verna? My usage will be 80% city and 20% long highway drives.

As of today Verna is offering cash discounts and exchange bonus compared to no offers for City with an added 3 months wait period.
Not quite the right way to drive a peaky VTec petrol. You need to utilise the higher rpms more to get the best out of the City.

Flooring from lower rpms in second gear requires more torque lower down. Turbo petrols might fare best in this regard.
Old 26th October 2014, 01:25   #3055
BHPian

Honda City : Not the Honda City it used to be

Honda's QC surely seems to be on a downward glide.

Had test driven 2 City idtec at 2 different dealers during the weekend. Was having a serious intention of seeing her in my garage in the next few months. But sorry to say that they just didn't feel the way a `Honda' used to feel before.

In one car there was an amber color "PGM FI" warning light lit up on the instrument panel while driving. On asking the sales guy he said - hold your breath - "Sir, this is normal. It shows that fuel is getting supplied to the engine."
I felt it completely useless to even argue with this guy.

In the 2nd car at another dealership there was some serious rusting on the front left door hinge bolts.

And both the cars were sounding much worse than even a thoroughly beaten up Indica diesel. I know many idtec owners here have said on this thread itself that the sound of their new engines are much much lower than the TD vehicles. I only hope and pray that it indeed remains so over the years.

Plus - we have already started seeing quite a few reports about various niggles on the new City in this thread itself.
Belt and pulley problems in the age old and reliable ivtec engine ??? Come on Honda - what have you done in the name of cost cutting?

No offense to any City owners here. I myself went for the TD with serious intention of making this my next car. But now I have to look somewhere else I guess.
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 01:56   #3056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
In one car there was an amber color "PGM FI" warning light lit up on the instrument panel while driving. On asking the sales guy he said - hold your breath - "Sir, this is normal. It shows that fuel is getting supplied to the engine."

I felt it completely useless to even argue with this guy.
This guy should be given an award for understanding the instrumentation console lights correctly :banghead:

You should have asked him then how are cars running where that amber PGM-FI light doesn't glow?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 02:15   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I too have experienced lower back pain while on long drives out of the city and I donot have any back issues. ....

Finally, I had to order Amron backrest (car version).... and I'm extremely happy with the results.
Quote:
I have recently driven ...a total distance of 550kms. ... I too felt little strained on lower back. Got the seat height and reach adjusted and no back pains at all..try it. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I haven't experienced anything like this cos I haven't done more than 2.30 hours drive at a stretch. But I do have Cervical so to be on the safe side can you post a pic of that Amaron backrest and also from where you bought it. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Improper posture and seating position is also a cause. Still trying various options by adjusting seat to eliminate this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I had updated my experience with Amron backrest in the above two previous posts (listed above for convenience)

Placing Amron on the driver's seat back, pushes your back forward and prevents your back from getting support from the seat sides. It may help but it surely is not comfortable. The wrap around feel that you get when you sit on the bare seats is missing.
I now use them not in the car, but on a chair at home and its useful there.

What has worked for me is to adjust/set the driver seat upright and sit as far back into the seat as possible ensuring that the lower back is supported by the seat with the seat sides hugging the back.

Earlier, I used to recline the seat a bit more which robbed the lower back of adequate support on long drives (> 4 hours), a more upright posture has now ensured adequate lower back support.

I've driven upto 650 KM at a stretch mulitple times, sitting on just the bare seats with the lower back pushed into the seat, and have no issues with the back.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th October 2014 at 02:30.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 14:29   #3058
BHPian

[quote=GTO;3322006]
Hopefully, this feature can be activated at the dealer level (as is the case with many cars):

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
My service station informed me that there is no such fix. Can't say if they are well informed.
Spoke to my dealer about this feature but he has no clue about it. Said nobody has requested something like this but he will check up. If anybody has got this done, pl share.
Old 26th October 2014, 19:20   #3059
BHPian

Hello friends!! Got the delivery of my Red Queen on the 23rd,the Diwali day!!
A big thanks to all fellow BHP'ians who provided with right advice ,guidance and help all the time. The delivery experience was pretty good. Reached the dealer at around 4 and got the delivery by 5:30 after all the formalities ( there were four deliveries before mine) Had taken a printout of the BHP checklist and followed it religiously. Distributed a packet of sweets and gave a token of appreciation to my SA as well. The staff was very cooperative and explained well all the functions.
Though very early but the drive experience has been wonderful till now. Did 125 Kms and MID is showing a mileage of 17.5 As pointed out by many,cabin noise is on the higher side but it is ok with music. Struggled a bit with loading of wallpaper but succeeded in the end!! All family members are loving the 'Greater Drive' 😊
A special thanks to vsrivatsa,harry10, anilagdr, adarsh76 ,seran and all friends whose name I cannot recall now on this forum for helping me make the right decision. Will keep you updated regarding the driving experience.
DoctorKK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 19:39   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Doc.. Glad to see you are happy with the choice. Upload some pics as well when you can.

Most Viewed