Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 08:21   #3091
BHPian

Honda City : Official Review

Ordered magnetic window shades for my city on EBay this week to help cut the direct sun which bothers the family members on a drive. I also noticed that there are stainless steel window garnish available online for about 6k which really enhances the side view. Does anyone have an experience of fitting these and if it affects the rubber beading in the long run?
Old 31st October 2014, 08:47   #3092
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragtyagi108 View Post
Hi All.

Can anyone advise me which insurance to go for my Honda City VX MT Oct 14 Petrol Model. The dealer is offering me honda assure for Rs 25799 and Zero Dep Insurance Policy Difference for Rs 6492.

Is Honda Assure the best insurance for the Honda City or should I explore other options like Bajaj Allianz and Bharti AXA which have been recommended by some people on the forum.
I would go for peace of mind by going with Honda Assure. I know there are a lot of places which says that you should shop around for Insurance quotes to get the best price, but for me going with Honda Assure was something to do with peace of mind. I had once asked the SA about getting insurance from outside and these guys started the usual stuff "You will face problems in Insurance claims. It won't be fast enough like that of Honda Assure. Honda Assure does not require approval till Rs. 25,000 and stuff like that".

It is not that I got scared, but the fact remains that just in case if I ever have to claim anything under insurance, I really do not want to get into any discussions of the above sorts.

Hence, opted for Honda Assure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Congrats on your new car and good to see our tribe of CVT owners swell. Forget laminating the carpet, just buy good quality 3D mats or 3M Nomad mats. I opted for the 3M mats as I took delivery of my VX CVT in Feb when there were no third party accessories available. Am very happy with the beige 3M mats though :-)
+1. 3M mats work like a charm. I had ordered 3D mats way back in March, but the ones I got was for the 3rd Gen Honda City which did not fit properly. Somehow post that I haven't been a fan of 3D mats, but 3M nomad mats are great. Actually the rear passenger and the driver co-passengers actually feel they are great to sit with their footwear removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Ordered magnetic window shades for my city on EBay this week to help cut the direct sun which bothers the family members on a drive. I also noticed that there are stainless steel window garnish available online for about 6k which really enhances the side view. Does anyone have an experience of fitting these and if it affects the rubber beading in the long run?
I haven't seen anything like that on a 4th Gen Honda City but seen some 3rd Gen Honda City owners do that.

If you ask me my view, it looks horrendous. Its just going overboard with the cosmetics of an already lovely car.
Old 31st October 2014, 17:28   #3093
BHPian

Has anyone attempted to change the headlights of the car? The A.S.S. Guys say that they don't handle these queries and the accessories dept guys say that they don't have approved headlamp upgrades for the new City. I find the current stock headlamps poor - they are not very bright on a highway for night driving. I find my Alto K10 lights far better in dim conditions. Any suggestions or anyone changed to 100/90 lamps? I know the City has two separate bulbs for high and low beams.. I'd like more power for both beams.
Old 31st October 2014, 17:47   #3094
BHPian

Hi Everybody

Just got the VIN & the Engine number from the showroom for my Honda City VMT

Chassis no: MAKGM654KE4001285

Engine no: L15Z11804767

Can anyone of you please decode this for me?

Thank you.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:06   #3095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Hi

Chassis no: MAKGM654KE4001285
Hello Dr ,

Month : October
Year : 2014
Serial Nbr : 4001285

Cheers ,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 20:12   #3096
BHPian

Don't the letters say the color the trim level etc?? I am referring to the Vin number
Old 31st October 2014, 23:05   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello Dr ,

Month : October
Year : 2014
Serial Nbr : 4001285

Cheers ,
pdma.
Thanks a ton Mr. Pdma,

Does this VIN number mention the color also?
Old 1st November 2014, 00:30   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_sahab View Post
Don't the letters say the color the trim level etc?? I am referring to the Vin number
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Thanks a ton Mr. Pdma,

Does this VIN number mention the color also?
Hello Aga_Sahab & Drkannant,

To the best of my knowledge there is no character in the VIN that specifically mentions about the color of the car. The color code as per me is a separate code as shown below.

Experts kindly correct me if Iam wrong.

Incidentally in HTML Code YR604M is close to Golden Brown color that Honda now has. So Iam kind of sure that this is where we determine the color of the car .If any volunteers can share this number with me ( I can check ) & we can confirm that my understanding is 100% correct , in parallel we can wait for any expert opinion as well as requested above.

Note VIN Pic Courtesey : Ravenavi

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-5225179d385d8e47.jpg Name:  $D301C3ED0099068.bmp
Views: 2938
Size:  97.9 KB

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 1st November 2014 at 00:32.
Old 1st November 2014, 19:11   #3099
BHPian

Hello All ,

Here is something that I came across today,

Honda is planning to increase the production at Tapukara facility starting this month to reduce the wait times of the City.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/44994196.cms

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-capture.jpg

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 1st November 2014, 20:25   #3100
BHPian

An update on the Poor visibility at night due to stock Headlamps and Grinding Noise from the Alternator Belt.

Headlamps and Poor Visibility

Upgraded the bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision. Much better than the Stock bulbs is the first impression.

Just to indicate the difference, I was driving in Twilight yesterday after upgrading to Philips Extreme Vision and one can noticeably see the headlight throw on the road even in Twilight, which never happened in the stock bulbs.

One thing which I really feel is that Honda has not compromised on the brand of Headlight bulbs used. The spare bulbs given to me are Philips and the stock headlights on the Low beam were actually Osram. It probably seems like and error from somebody in selecting the correct product of Philips or Osram or probably trying to select the cheaper options between the two brands.

Grinding Noise from Alternator Belt

After the change of the Alternator belt have driven over 500 Kms and the grinding noise doesn't seem to be there. Need to see for another 1000-1500 Kms as the problem arrived about after 2000+ Kms in the first case.

Last edited by tejas08 : 1st November 2014 at 20:39. Reason: Added the Grinding Issue update
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 20:49   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Been to Honda Showroom today to checkout the city, and had to reject it for one reason - This vehicle is not for 6 feet+ people. I am 6'2" and my head was too close to the roof that every pothole will be felt by the head than bottom.

If I push the seat to the bottom most position, I will get some head room, but I will need someone outside to pull me outside to get out because of the very low seating position.

Surprisingly every other car in the show room was similar (including Mobilio). When will honda make an affordable product which taller people can enjoy??

(note: I am an extremely happy CRV customer who used a CRV for 60000+ miles/4 years).
Old 1st November 2014, 21:08   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Been to Honda Showroom today to checkout the city, and had to reject it for one reason - This vehicle is not for 6 feet+ people. I am 6'2" and my head was too close to the roof that every pothole will be felt by the head than bottom.

If I push the seat to the bottom most position, I will get some head room, but I will need someone outside to pull me outside to get out because of the very low seating position.

Surprisingly every other car in the show room was similar (including Mobilio). When will honda make an affordable product which taller people can enjoy??

(note: I am an extremely happy CRV customer who used a CRV for 60000+ miles/4 years).
That's very odd. I am 6'3" and of all the cars I checked (Vento, Rapid, Etios Dzire) Vento, Rapid and Honda City were on par from the point of view that you have mentioned. Honda City had the upper hand because even after having the Driver seat to the back-most position and reclined at 120ish Degree, I can still sit behind the driver seat myself and have knee space.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 21:13   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am exact 6 feet tall and have driven my 3rd gen City for past 20k+ KMs without any issue with respect to headroom. BUT yes, anything over 6 feet will have trouble as there will be no space b/w head and roof, may be just equivalent to a finger's thickness.

SX4 is one fine car when it comes to headroom. I guess the same trait has been carried forwarded to Ciaz(havent driven it yet).

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st November 2014 at 21:14.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 21:23   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
That's very odd. I am 6'3" and of all the cars I checked (Vento, Rapid, Etios Dzire) Vento, Rapid and Honda City were on par from the point of view that you have mentioned. Honda City had the upper hand because even after having the Driver seat to the back-most position and reclined at 120ish Degree, I can still sit behind the driver seat myself and have knee space.
I am complaining about the headroom only. Lower headroom also means some of my vision is blocked by the top of windshield area
When the seat was at lower end, getting out was a pain. When the seat was somewhere near the top end, getting out was manageable, but my shoulders were hitting the roof in-front of B pillar.

Some of these will change after getting used to the car, but never felt comfortable in the front during the 20 mts I spent inside today.

Yes I agree all the cars you mentioned have similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am exact 6 feet tall and have driven my 3rd gen City for past 20k+ KMs without any issue with respect to headroom. BUT yes, anything over 6 feet will have trouble as there will be no space b/w head and roof, may be just equivalent to a finger's thickness.

SX4 is one fine car when it comes to headroom. I guess the same trait has been carried forwarded to Ciaz(havent driven it yet).
Checked out Ciaz as well today . Headroom @ driver seat is comparably better for me, not really great. The real problem is backseat - Zero head room; head was touching the roof @ rear right seat.

Last edited by arjithin : 1st November 2014 at 21:24.
Old 1st November 2014, 23:02   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't agree.
I am 6.1 and have driven City for 6100 km till now. Never touched the roof even once. Neither i have any such difficulty in getting in or out of the car.
Probably you couldn't find the correct driving position which happens in any car.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed