Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 16:55   #3211
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
As promised I have posted details of my NBU Experience on my Ownership Thread here: 2014 City Ownership
Thanks VSRIVATSA. You have taken enormous pain to see that both stock and NBU lights are tested at same conditions. The pictures clearly reveal that NBU gives more light output though the throw is the same. I would have loved to see a bit more of throw though.

I would love to see the High Beam throw and illumination pictures by fellow BHPians if they have done any mods.

Thanks again for the efforts.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:12   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
Friends,got my car back after all the cosmetic work and really satisfied with the quality of work and commitment by the guys at the shop. Attaching pics for reference. The following work was carried out:
-Protected with hard coating-Gyeon Q2 Mohs
- Windshield, side mirrors with hydrophobic coating
- Heat resistant alloy coating and tyre coating
- External plastic parts,headlights and tail lamps protected with coating.
Drove the car in rain and the effect of hydrophobic coating was very much evident.
The car looks great and just a dusting by jopasu car duster is enough to bring shine.
Doctor, is this a new car or you did this because of scratches? What is the cost and where did you get it all done? Is it worth to get these things done? What is the life of the coatings?
Old 17th November 2014, 18:05   #3213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
The Ballast are resistor-type right, which help them in jacking up the KV for the discharge?
Nyet. They are a bit of complex electronics to jack up the voltage (remember the discussion about AC and DC ballasts). Remember once the discharge starts the resistance/impedance is infinite, and once the discharge starts it drops to near zero. Also, most modern cars need CANBUS enabled ballasts to stop error codes.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 21:28   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Doctor, is this a new car or you did this because of scratches? What is the cost and where did you get it all done? Is it worth to get these things done? What is the life of the coatings?

- Mine is just 3 weeks old. But one thing is for sure,this color is sure to pickup many scratches as in a short period of time I realized that even if someone casually rubs his hand,it becomes evident and hence I decided to go ahead with this coating ( I was using a pipe to wash it and the pipe just rubbed on the corner and I was shocked to see a scratch,something that never happened with my silver swift,mainly because of the color difference)
- The coating itself costs 15000/- and alloy wheel coating with windshield coating etc will cost some 2500/- more. I had to leave my car for a couple of days as it was done meticulously with 2 coats. The guy who did is a perfectionist and won't let the car go unless he is fully satisfied!!
- I got it done in a place called 'Travancore auto spa' situated in trivandrum ( luckily just walking distance from my house) You can check their Facebook page for details. They have put my car pics as well.
- Worth? I guess a subjective feeling. I definitely feel it's worth because after spending 12 odd lacks I don't want daily scratches to spoil my mood. It won't make the car 'scratch proof' for sure but at least give some protection in day to day usage,plus the ease of cleaning and the shine that the car gets after just dry mopping elevates the mood!! I have had water marks on my windshield in swift and really suffered once while driving at night so didn't think twice before going for the coating. Rest is all personal decision. Most of us go for the 'Teflon ' coating from the dealer which is nothing more than a fluke by the dealer. So if you can get a trustworthy guy who can give right treatment to your car,guess it's worth it.
- Life quoted by the company is 12 months but the guy who did for my car told me it easily lasts 2-3 years if taken care of with some topup coating and sealants at required intervals. I trust this guy coz I found him genuine enough to provide the right advice. The coating on the tyres won't last more than 3 months is what he clearly told me.
DoctorKK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 21:51   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
- Mine is just 3 weeks old. But one thing is for sure,this color is sure to pickup many scratches as in a short period of time I realized that even if someone casually rubs his hand,it becomes evident and hence I decided to go ahead with this coating ( I was using a pipe to wash it and the pipe just rubbed on the corner and I was shocked to see a scratch,something that never happened with my silver swift,mainly because of the color difference)
- The coating itself costs 15000/- and alloy wheel coating with windshield coating etc will cost some 2500/- more. I had to leave my car for a couple of days as it was done meticulously with 2 coats. The guy who did is a perfectionist and won't let the car go unless he is fully satisfied!!
- I got it done in a place called 'Travancore auto spa' situated in trivandrum ( luckily just walking distance from my house) You can check their Facebook page for details. They have put my car pics as well.
- Worth? I guess a subjective feeling. I definitely feel it's worth because after spending 12 odd lacks I don't want daily scratches to spoil my mood. It won't make the car 'scratch proof' for sure but at least give some protection in day to day usage,plus the ease of cleaning and the shine that the car gets after just dry mopping elevates the mood!! I have had water marks on my windshield in swift and really suffered once while driving at night so didn't think twice before going for the coating. Rest is all personal decision. Most of us go for the 'Teflon ' coating from the dealer which is nothing more than a fluke by the dealer. So if you can get a trustworthy guy who can give right treatment to your car,guess it's worth it.
- Life quoted by the company is 12 months but the guy who did for my car told me it easily lasts 2-3 years if taken care of with some topup coating and sealants at required intervals. I trust this guy coz I found him genuine enough to provide the right advice. The coating on the tyres won't last more than 3 months is what he clearly told me.
Thanks Doctor. Does anyone know where to get such a treatment done in Vapi or Mumbai?
Old 18th November 2014, 09:53   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Doctor. Does anyone know where to get such a treatment done in Vapi or Mumbai?
Doc & Jesrani - It's very good to get the Cquartz done. The car looks definitely better. But as said, it's not scratch proof. Probably for the Red color you can get it done now itself.

However, my personal suggestion is, to do the coating after 1 year. Till that time the car can be waxed with some high quality wax thoroughly either from the service center or outside. If you're lucky not to have any big or highly visible scratches which can cause body rusting, leave it like that. After 1 year once your no claim bonus for insurance is obtained, you can clear of all the scratches and do the Cquartz coating. This makes the car look brand new that time.

The sad part is we can't avoid scratches in India. However, careful we drive some stupid drivers especially two wheelers will come and do the required to make us upset.

There is a paint protection film provided by 3M which costs around 25000 but I don't know much about it's effectiveness.

Again, it's your personal decision. Want to do now, just go and do it . I did a google search but could not find anything in Mumbai. Probably some others here would be able to help.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 18th November 2014 at 10:17.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:07   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Doc & Jesrani - It's very good to get the Cquartz done. The car looks definitely better. But as said, it's not scratch proof. Probably for the Red color you can get it done now itself.

However, my personal suggestion is, to do the coating after 1 year. Till that time the car can be waxed with some high quality wax thoroughly either from the service center or outside. If you're lucky not to have any big or highly visible scratches which can cause body rusting, leave it like that. After 1 year once your no claim bonus for insurance is obtained, you can clear of all the scratches and do the Cquartz coating. This makes the car look brand new that time.

The sad part is we can't avoid scratches in India. However, careful we drive some stupid drivers especially two wheelers will come and do the required to make us upset.

There is a paint protection film provided by 3M which costs around 25000 but I don't know much about it's effectiveness.

Again, it's your personal decision. Want to do now, just go and do it . I did a google search but could not find anything in Mumbai. Probably some others here would be able to help.
Thanks adarsh. Your suggestion seems logical.

I also want to know how to clean the car regularly. I am not going to do this myself but our company person will do it. I have got a couple of F1 microfibre cloths from the shop and also have a microfibre glove. What liquid to use, anything special? I can order a Jopasu duster and liquid if it is good but don't know which one to buy. I just want something simple. Please give your suggestions.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:32   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks adarsh. Your suggestion seems logical.

I also want to know how to clean the car regularly. I am not going to do this myself but our company person will do it. I have got a couple of F1 microfibre cloths from the shop and also have a microfibre glove. What liquid to use, anything special? I can order a Jopasu duster and liquid if it is good but don't know which one to buy. I just want something simple. Please give your suggestions.
I'm also getting it cleaned at my office parking 3 times a week. I give them one microfiber cloth, another yellow colored cloth which we get in Petrol Pumps for drying out and Sonax Car Shampoo poured into small bottles which can last 1 month.

But, be informed on one thing. Nothing comes as good as we clean ourselves. Even with the good quality cloths I give them, I found some very minor scratches. Since, my car color is white and not metallic these cannot be found in one glance, It can be seen only under sunlight in certain angles. Since yours is a metallic red the scratches will be more prominent. My Wagon R which is a metallic red is a perfect example for these scratches.

I'm looking to get the Jopasu duster combo, which is supposed to clean effectively without scratches. This can be used to clean the dust daily and one water wash weekly. That is the plan for now.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 18th November 2014 at 14:36.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:50   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
I'm also getting it cleaned at my office parking 3 times a week. I give them one microfiber cloth, another yellow colored cloth which we get in Petrol Pumps for drying out and Sonax Car Shampoo poured into small bottles which can last 1 month.

But, be informed on one thing. Nothing comes as good as we clean ourselves. Even with the good quality cloths I give them, I found some very minor scratches. Since, my car color is white and not metallic these cannot be found in one glance, It can be seen only under sunlight in certain angles. Since yours is a metallic red the scratches will be more prominent. My Wagon R which is a metallic red is a perfect example for these scratches.

I'm looking to get the Jopasu duster combo, which is supposed to clean effectively without scratches. This can be used to clean the dust daily and one water wash weekly. That is the plan for now.
Thanks, I also want to be careful about this.
Can you tell me which Jopasu combo you are thinking of buying and from where?
Old 18th November 2014, 17:34   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I also want to be careful about this.
Can you tell me which Jopasu combo you are thinking of buying and from where?
Try their listing on ebay.in. I got the combo (Jopasu Car Care Large Combo Pack) from ebay and life has been much simpler and happier for me
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 17:52   #3221
BHPian

I too am not happy with the high beam illumination; the low beam is acceptable atleast compared to my 2001 Zen VX! So whats the preferred drop-in bulb replacement and what is the type of bulb i need - i guess its the H3 for the high beam? I was leaning towards the Philips but looks like they are NOT that much of an upgrade?
Old 19th November 2014, 00:09   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Have you fitted them? How do they perform with respect to the stock bulbs in the areas of illumination and throw? I would love to see the pictures of illumination by both if possible.

I think your decision to stick with Osram Hb3-NBUs was a good one. How do NBU/HB3 perform for High beam requirements?
I hope Osram H3 - NBUs cost almost double of Philips X-treme Vision HB3 ones. My worry is that NBUs have a minimum life of 110 Hrs and Hours for 63% failure as 210 Hrs. that worries me. Philips has 200 and 400 Hrs as per spec. But when the Philips X-treme vision HB3s don't perform better than stock ones what is the point in going for them?
Hi Seran Manian,
Any idea about the cost of Osram HB3-NBUs in India ? I am currently in Germany and was casually checking Bau&Garten and there i saw these selling for 14.99 EUR. So was just wondering if there is any sense in getting them from here.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-wp_20141117_18_11_33_pro.jpg  

Old 19th November 2014, 12:18   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Hi Seran Manian,
Any idea about the cost of Osram HB3-NBUs in India ? I am currently in Germany and was casually checking Bau&Garten and there i saw these selling for 14.99 EUR. So was just wondering if there is any sense in getting them from here.
Thanks
Looks like it is the same price or slightly lower when ordered online. I Ordered from PowerBulbs and it was 23.16 GBP for it which comes to approx : Rs.2270 for a pair. This is costing Rs.1160 for a single piece - when doubled becomes: Rs.2320. So its the same price almost.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:05   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
yellow colored cloth which we get in Petrol Pumps for drying out

I found some very minor scratches.

I'm looking to get the Jopasu duster combo, which is supposed to clean effectively without scratches. This can be used to clean the dust daily and one water wash weekly.
Quote:
I also want to know how to clean the car regularly.

What liquid to use, anything special?
Avoid using yellow colored cloth as you will get swirls on your car all around, use fine quality Microfiber towels instead.

Daily cleaning process should be:

- First use Jopasu Duster to pick all the dirt from the car
- Follow two-bucket method to clean/wash your car (as and when needed), but remember not to clean/wash under direct sun or when car body is hot.
- Keep different color MF cloths for different areas of car like one for upper body part of car, glass, lower part of gates & bumpers and wheel caps/alloy rims.

Once a week or when needed use Ultima Waterless Wash to clean your car, this saves water and is much faster/easier to clean your car.

Ultima Waterless Wash can also be used as quick detailer to get instant shine.

P.S. : I am no way associated with any brand/product mentioned in this post.

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 19th November 2014 at 13:07.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 13:26   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Hi Seran Manian,
Thanks
From the Photo, I don't think that the 14.99 EUR ones are NBU. NBU prices seem to be 49.99 EUR.

Could you please double check on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Nyet. They are a bit of complex electronics to jack up the voltage (remember the discussion about AC and DC ballasts). Remember once the discharge starts the resistance/impedance is infinite, and once the discharge starts it drops to near zero. Also, most modern cars need CANBUS enabled ballasts to stop error codes.

I am an Engineer myself but Electrical / Electronics was never my favourite. A first these words appeared alien to me when you used it but stressing my head on it, I remembered studying something of this in engineering.

Most Viewed