Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 00:30   #3241
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hello Everyone,

I have recently been facing a problem with one of the rear power window. When I try to roll it down, it does not come down and is stuck. I try it a couple more times and it suddenly starts to roll down. Is there anyone who has faced this problem? Can someone please help me out here as to what the problem could be?

Regards,
Amit
Old 21st November 2014, 07:31   #3242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
14-15kmpl on Petrol CVT, that seems fantastic!! Then the diesel does not really have much advantage. Are you a sedate driver or do you go fast?
@jesrani
In city it's sedate. On the highway I try to keep it between 100 - 120 max. Cruise control I use a lot whenever possible. I try to keep it 'green' at all times.
knight.rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 10:03   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKumarVinay View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have recently been facing a problem with one of the rear power window. When I try to roll it down, it does not come down and is stuck. I try it a couple more times and it suddenly starts to roll down. Is there anyone who has faced this problem? Can someone please help me out here as to what the problem could be?

Regards,
Amit
Not faced this yet but should not be a major fault. Something would be stuck inside. Show it to service.
Old 21st November 2014, 10:43   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Hello,

I am in the market to buy a sedan in the 10-12 lacs range and was considering the Honda City V-MT Petrol. took a couple of small test drives also. the car is spacious and nice to drive but the build quality seemed flimsy compared to even the last gen city. Also I read on a thread on this forum about the reliability issues and niggles faced by owners of the new city. There are discussions about how the new city isn't as reliable and sturdy and the build quality isn't great either with parts falling off or rattling sounds from few months old car reported by many owners.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-anymore.html

So I am in the market for a new sedan and my options were the City V-MT Petrol and the Vento TSI/TDI mostly. So I would like to know from owners of the current Honda City that is it worth going for the city and are there actually so many problems with the car and are there any major problems faced by them. as one needs to make sure before committing for the next 5-7 years and spending 10-12 lacs.

Hope to know more directly from the owners.

Thank you.
I have a new Honda City VX CVT , all I can say is that she is a beauty to drive , done over 5000km's with her, mainly city driving , the only issue I have had is the beading coming off the driver side door which after complaint was replaced at 3rd servicing. Its a brilliant car, very easy to drive , a responsive engine , good mileage , so far with city driving and AC on mileage has hovered around 12-13 mark. The car is peppy , I would urge you to look at the CVT version if you can in V or VX , as this is a really comfortable car to drive specially in city traffic. I think the quality issues have been over-hyped as have not faced any major issues in that context.
chatto63 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 15:25   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I have another question regarding the seating position. I am 6'2" tall and am finding it difficult to get the right seating position. Taking the seat fully back and about halfway down. But the underthigh support on right leg is less and getting some pain if I wear shoes and drive. Barefeet or with socks is much better. Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know which driving position and steering position tall owners are using.
Yes, it takes some time to get the seating positions right, In case you are not satisfied with the end result why don't you buy one Amaron executive backrest which would in all likelihood give you a safe back while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Yes, there are niggles in the new Honda City, but I do not remember of any person (Maybe a couple of BHPians out of so many BHPians who bought City 2014) who says that the decision to go with Honda City 2014 was a wrong one.
I second that. My CITY idtec has been almost niggle free and I have done around 6000km.

Of late, I am feeling that the odour from otside is seeping into the cabin - specially around petrol bunks or smoke filled areas. Although the ASS inspected the car, they were not convinced of the defect, I am contemplating my next move,

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Hello Everyone! After the third service, I noticed a particularly unique problem. The foam od the backrest of the driver’s seat got “misplaced” and I can feel the metal frame of the seat everytime I sit. Another issue I saw was that the driver’s seat adjustment does not stay and it does back down in due time. The dealer said this is because the seat was not designed for heavy people (I am 6 feet 3 inches). It will be rectified during the next service.
That answer seems to be the stupidest one I have ever heard & how is he going to redesign the seat in the next service?

Quote:
Now my questions for other members:

2. Any use in upgrading the high beams to Osram NightBreaker Unlimited HB3 9005 60W?

3. This might come as shocker to some, but I do scrape several speed breakers (mostly the engine mudguard, front bumper, silencer and the running broad touches) I try my best to maneuver, but still it touches.
2. I have done the upgrade of both high and low beams. The difference is, at best, 'marginal'.

3. It seems you are a spirited driver. Why don't you cut down the accelerator a bit and that would save you from most of the problems that you encounter.

Quote:
Whew!! That was a long first post.
I would also like to thank RavenAvi, neel911, //M, vsrivatsa and other owners of the new Honda city on the forum.
Your post was a very frank and truthful one. I would appreciate you for taking the time and pains to post your thoughts here, All the friends you mentioned above have been of great HELP to me as well and I express my gratitude to them as well as the many others on this forum.

So, drive safe and have a lot of enjoyment from your ride. BTW I took my car from Kottayam Vision Honda as well.
anilagdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 21:49   #3246
BHPian

Guys
Anybody knows where is the OBD2 port in the new Honda City?
Old 21st November 2014, 23:26   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Guys
Anybody knows where is the OBD2 port in the new Honda City?
Its right below the steering. Behind the lever used for tilting the steering.
SumitBahl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:56   #3248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Could I get anything to prevent my NEXT windshield from cracking/chipping? (couldn’t find a thread on it earlier)
2. Any use in upgrading the high beams to Osram NightBreaker Unlimited HB3 9005 60W? I feel the Low beams are more brighter than the high beams at the moment. (for other members, searched full JC Road Bangalore, it is not available there. Its available on e-pitstop.com and powerbulbs.com and the Philips Xtreme Vision is not available for the HB3 9005)
3. This might come as shocker to some, but I do scrape several speed breakers (mostly the engine mudguard, front bumper, silencer and the running broad touches) I try my best to maneuver, but still it touches. Any tips on this anyone? (tyre upgrade is being considered at the moment, most probably will be done after the present set wears out, which might be another 10k-15k kms)
4. Another Member asked a couple of posts back about the dimming of the headlights when operating other electricals in the car, like power window switches. I have the same problem, and along with the usage of power window switches, I see it when “ON”ing the Fog lamps and when applying brakes (even when the car is in motion)
Whew! Some experiences, those. A belated welcome to the Honda City club. As for the queries:

1 - I don't see how it can be avoided. Stray pebbles/stones, at high velocities, can be extremely dangerous. Best advice I can give you is to take it easy on roads which are ridden with loose stones & gravel.

2 - I don't do much of night driving these days so can't really comment on this. But I have used Night Breaker Plus on my earlier 3rd-gen City, and the beam/throw is definitely MUCH better than stock. Due to it's whitish glow, it can be a bit painful for visibility in the rains, but otherwise it's a great option. The high beams of this gen-City are definitely bad. If you are driving extensively at night, a high-beam bulb replacement is recommended.

3 - Best to take those breakers/potholes at an angle, rather than speed up over them. You haven't mentioned if your car is loaded when you scrape (with passengers or luggage/stuff in the boot), so I am going to assume that the scraping is happening with only you inside the car.

Drive slowly at an angle when you go over a speed-breaker - drive with the driver's wheel crossing the breaker first, then the front passenger's, then the other two rear wheels.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-tiltapproach.png.jpg

Detailed discussion: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-belly.html

Tyre upgrade will definitely help, since it adds a few more inches to the existing ground clearance.

4 - Haven't seen this yet with my Empress. It seems like it might be a problem with the alternator connections, or an already weakening battery. Get both of those thoroughly checked. The dimming of the HU, ODO display, backlit buttons, etc. happens when the headlamps are turned on, but that is a feature of most cars. But dimming of headlamps when operating other stuff is a first! Do get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKumarVinay View Post
Check the window rubber channels for dust accumulation, and get them sprayed with a Wurth/3M solution. If that doesn't help, get the door panels checked at the A.S.S. for obstructing parts such as the door checker. All the best!
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:28   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Check the window rubber channels for dust accumulation, and get them sprayed with a Wurth/3M solution. If that doesn't help, get the door panels checked at the A.S.S. for obstructing parts such as the door checker. All the best!
RavenAvi,

I will do that. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Amit
Old 22nd November 2014, 13:02   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Hi Sumit

Thanks for the pointer. I was able to locate it. Tested and it works. I need to see how to set it up on Torque Pro Application on Android.

Why I'm doing this is that occasionally I see a lot of roughness from my Honda City iDtech - which is not acceptable to me with a car of such a cost.

So wanna do some basic diagnostics and then go bang the Honda guys.

Totally new to OBS world so will have to really work a lot to create reports for Honda guys to work upon.

Thanks again for your help here.

Regards
Harpreet
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:11   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post

That answer seems to be the stupidest one I have ever heard & how is he going to redesign the seat in the next service?
After reading your post and reading the quoted text, i too was laughing about it.

Quote:

2. I have done the upgrade of both high and low beams. The difference is, at best, 'marginal'.
I felt the Philips Xtreme Vision which i upgraded on the low beam quite brighter than the stock bulbs and even the high beams itself.

Quote:

3. It seems you are a spirited driver. Why don't you cut down the accelerator a bit and that would save you from most of the problems that you encounter.
Most of the underbody scraps and silencer touches take place at "GIANT" and unusually "TALL" speedbreakers; those which are designed to stop trucks and buses. Normal speedbreakers, I don't have problem. The engine mud guard problem, its mostly on uneven roads or muddy roads.

Quote:

Your post was a very frank and truthful one. I would appreciate you for taking the time and pains to post your thoughts here, All the friends you mentioned above have been of great HELP to me as well and I express my gratitude to them as well as the many others on this forum.

So, drive safe and have a lot of enjoyment from your ride. BTW I took my car from Kottayam Vision Honda as well.
Thanks

Quote:

1 - I don't see how it can be avoided. Stray pebbles/stones, at high velocities, can be extremely dangerous. Best advice I can give you is to take it easy on roads which are ridden with loose stones & gravel.
The funny story about the windshield cracking incident was that I was driving pretty sedately around (80kmph) on a National Highway. I read somewhere online about coatings for windshields (mainly used for off-road vehicles and pick up trucks). I was thinking more in those areas of protecting the windshield. Or whether things like the Paint Protection Film from 3M can also be used as a Windshield Protection Film.

Quote:
2 - I don't do much of night driving these days so can't really comment on this. But I have used Night Breaker Plus on my earlier 3rd-gen City, and the beam/throw is definitely MUCH better than stock. Due to it's whitish glow, it can be a bit painful for visibility in the rains, but otherwise it's a great option. The high beams of this gen-City are definitely bad. If you are driving extensively at night, a high-beam bulb replacement is recommended.
At the moment, the Philips Xtreme Vision on the low beam is comparatively more brighter than the stock high beams. The bulbs are a mix of white and yellow, somewhere around the 3500K colour temperature range. I was thinking about upgrading to Xenons(4200K) with projectors, but I have no clue about warranty related issues cropping up in future (Alternator Problem)

Quote:
3 - Best to take those breakers/potholes at an angle, rather than speed up over them. You haven't mentioned if your car is loaded when you scrape (with passengers or luggage/stuff in the boot), so I am going to assume that the scraping is happening with only you inside the car.

Drive slowly at an angle when you go over a speed-breaker - drive with the driver's wheel crossing the breaker first, then the front passenger's, then the other two rear wheels.

Detailed discussion: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-belly.html

Tyre upgrade will definitely help, since it adds a few more inches to the existing ground clearance.
Thanks for that advice and the diagram. I knew about taking it at an angle, but I did it the opposite way up till now (passenger side first). The speed breakers, no matter how carefully I go though, some are pretty high, so the only I see going about them, is to get a tyre upgrade or to take a different path. But more than the underbelly scrapping, I find the engine mudguard touching surfaces a lot more, especially on uneven/rural/mud roads. Yes, You are right; Its mostly me alone in the car with occasional an extra person or three more people.
I did notice something though. Once I drove with full load of passengers (With me 5 people) in a rural/mud road; the engine mudguard hardly touched except at really uneven points.

Quote:
4 - Haven't seen this yet with my Empress. It seems like it might be a problem with the alternator connections, or an already weakening battery. Get both of those thoroughly checked. The dimming of the HU, ODO display, backlit buttons, etc. happens when the headlamps are turned on, but that is a feature of most cars. But dimming of headlamps when operating other stuff is a first! Do get it checked.
Today I noticed, that even operating the power windows (rolling them back up) along with electric folding of the ORVMs; there was some lag in the functions like, it was slower than compared to doing things individually. Also, I forgot to mention in the previous post. The interior dome lights also dim when operating power windows. I don’t think it’s a weak battery; the low beams don’t go dim when the fog lamps are on, when the engine is off.
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:19   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatto63 View Post
The car is peppy , I would urge you to look at the CVT version if you can in V or VX , as this is a really comfortable car to drive specially in city traffic. I think the quality issues have been over-hyped as have not faced any major issues in that context.
Unfortunately, there is no "V" version of the CVT. Only SV and VX (at least that was the case when I bought mine 6 months back). The difference between SV and VX was nearly 3.5 lakhs and what you get for the difference was not worth the money for me. A "V" CVT would have been perfect. Agree with you on the car - a very stress free drive.
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:25   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
New to this. How could I connect to the OBD port? Is it connected through a cable or via Bluetooth?

Anything to be aware of before using this facility?
Old 22nd November 2014, 22:55   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
New to this. How could I connect to the OBD port? Is it connected through a cable or via Bluetooth?

Hi Adarsh
You require a OBD scanner.
It can be a wired one or a Bluetooth adaptor.
I would recommend to buy a OBD Bluetooth adaptor from eBay. You would also require a mobile phone application to communicate to the OBD adaptor over Bluetooth.
One of the most popular application is Torque Pro.
I'll send you more details.
Regards
Harpreet
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 00:05   #3255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post

If you have an iPhone, get the one with WiFi. Bluetooth connection could be a problem with iPhone.
Android users can use Bluetooth module.

Most Viewed