Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 21:34   #3391
BHPian

Hi friends!! came back after a 650kms long trip, trivandrum to guruvayur and back in a couple of days over the weekend. Some points I would like to share....

- Very happy with the overall performance of my City,the car was rock solid with no issues at all. We were 5 adults and my 7 months old daughter. The boot was almost fully loaded but there was no issue of any lag from the car. AC was on all the time with cabin temperature set to 22-24 degrees.

- The onwards journey was very hectic,being a weekend the traffic was at its peak,the two lane highway in Kerala cannot be called a highway at all,it's just like a city drive. But the drive was comfortable as there is no turbo lag. All the cities were jam packed and it was near impossible to get into the sixth gear at any point. After kochi the highway is better but the traffic was the same. Took me 8 good hours to travel 325 Kms with an average of just 40 km/hr!!( with a couple of stops too) Using cruise control was a distant dream!! I drove mostly in 4th and 5th gears with speed limited to 70-80( Kerala highways have cameras installed for overspeeding)

Car returned a poor mileage of just 19km/ltr which was a bit disappointing as I expected at least above 20. But considering the driving conditions I guess that is ok.

- Return journey was a tad better being a Sunday. Traffic was ok but speed limits and cameras meant I could not cross 80. Used the cruise control on the four lane road from trichur to Cochin on some stretches and it was real pleasure to just set the speed at 80 and sit back and relax!! But could not use this feature for more than 1 Kms on any stretch, so one can imagine the kind of traffic in Kerala. One point I would like to mention here is the mistake I was doing in activating the cruise mode. I used to keep my foot just over the clutch without pressing it while activating it and it never used to work. But now I realized that even the slightest pressure on the clutch deactivates it or prevents it from activation. So we have to lift the foot completely off the clutch for using it.

Had to use a heavy foot from Alleppy to trivandrum as it was getting late. To my joy,I never felt the car short of power and overtaking was a breeze. The maneuverability was excellent and driving was real fun. Except for a couple of real rash drivers,don't remember anyone else overtaking me once I really stepped on the gas.

I remember how my petrol swift used to really struggle on these two lane highways where you need quick acceleration to overtake and return back to your lane. City was just fantastic.

On return the mileage shown on the MID was 20 km/ltr which is again lower than my expectation but I guess I drove more on the faster side with frequent gear changes for overtaking and quick accelerations. There was no issue of any backache or strain and I was feeling pretty fresh even after the drive. I had a bit of cramps in left leg during onward journey due to excessive use of clutch,thanks to horrible traffic.

Hopefully when I go for a drive to proper 4/6 lane highways I will get much better mileage figures.
I am overall very happy with the 'Greater drive' I had with the machine and looking forward to many more such drives in future!!

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2014 at 00:49. Reason: Spacing for better readability
DoctorKK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 22:16   #3392
BHPian

I'm noticing a kind of creaking sound from my iVtec even when I'm all alone. Can't figure out the exact source of the sound. Does anyone have any such issue?
Old 29th December 2014, 23:24   #3393
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
We were 5 adults and my 7 months old daughter. The boot was almost fully loaded

Car returned a poor mileage of just 19km/ltr which was a bit disappointing as I expected at least above 20.

On return the mileage shown on the MID was 20 km/ltr which is again lower than my expectation
Get used it it. Mileage tanks when the car is loaded. Anything around 20kmpl and you are more than doing good. Also, you are required to bump up the tire pressures for this kind of usage.

The usual 22-24kmpl is subject to driving solo.
Old 29th December 2014, 23:27   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Get used it it. Mileage tanks when the car is loaded. Anything around 20kmpl and you are more than doing good. Also, you are required to bump up the tire pressures for this kind of usage.

The usual 22-24kmpl is subject to driving solo.

Yes,guess you are right. I kept the tire pressure to 34 for this trip. Usually I keep it to 32 when driving solo.
Old 29th December 2014, 23:38   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I'm noticing a kind of creaking sound from my iVtec even when I'm all alone. Can't figure out the exact source of the sound. Does anyone have any such issue?
Hello There,

Usual culprit in such cases is the seat making some unwanted noises.
There could be a possibility that it can be the driver seat or the rear bench.
I recall some of the forum members mentioning about these noises which are fixed during the regular service.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 30th December 2014, 09:40   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Usual culprit in such cases is the seat making some unwanted noises.
There could be a possibility that it can be the driver seat or the rear bench.
I recall some of the forum members mentioning about these noises which are fixed during the regular service.
Outdoor, As pdma said, if it's occurring all times, it should be from the seat or from the dash. Somebody had mentioned about the plastic coming loose from the windshield which caused the sound from dash.

I have another sound coming from the panel beside the front left door but not every time. The sound is only heard when closing the door and on certain rough roads. Interestingly, the sound is not heard when jumping over potholes. Did mention this to the service center, they said will rectify it if the sound gets really worse. They were reluctant to open the entire panel to fix it.

Another interesting observation. The thud sound filtering into the cabin which was observed earlier on jumping potholes and sharp small bumps have considerably reduced. Don't know the exact reason for this but nevertheless feeling good
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 00:21   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Car returned a poor mileage of just 19km/ltr which was a bit disappointing as I expected at least above 20. But considering the driving conditions I guess that is ok.
I think that kind of mileage is more than OK in the roads of Kerala. I have seen a similar mileage in my car on long trips in Kerala (20 kmpl), although it was way higher when I drove out of Kerala.

Quote:
One point I would like to mention here is the mistake I was doing in activating the cruise mode. I used to keep my foot just over the clutch without pressing it while activating it and it never used to work. But now I realized that even the slightest pressure on the clutch deactivates it or prevents it from activation.
Are you sure about the clutch deactivating the cruise mode? I have changed gears while in cruise control with no deactivation. Maybe you are referring to use of brakes which definitely deactivates cruise control. Pls correct me if I am wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Anything around 20kmpl and you are more than doing good.
+1 to that.
Old 31st December 2014, 00:23   #3398

Booked UTitanium ivtech VXMT early this month in ahmedabad. I heard the waiting period on City being reduced after rajasthan plant coming in in November , but am given expected delivery in early March. Is still the waiting is three months for City?
Old 31st December 2014, 00:26   #3399
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2015 at 11:31.
abhjain is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st December 2014, 00:26   #3400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Are you sure about the clutch deactivating the cruise mode? I have changed gears while in cruise control with no deactivation. Maybe you are referring to use of brakes which definitely deactivates cruise control. Pls correct me if I am wrong on this.
Cruise disengages on its own if you downshift, but stays on if you upshift.
Old 31st December 2014, 06:14   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Are you sure about the clutch deactivating the cruise mode? I have changed gears while in cruise control with no deactivation. Maybe you are referring to use of brakes which definitely deactivates cruise control. Pls correct me if I am wrong on this..
What I noticed was that even with the slightest pressure on the clutch ,cruise was deactivating. I usually used it in 6th gear only so I used the clutch only for downgearing,so may be that is one reason it getting disengage as pointed by shreyas. Using brakes definitely deactivates it.
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:59   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Guys
Has anybody seen intermittent/occasional sluggishness in the City iDTECH? I have occasionally seen it and I have also seen a huge cabin noise during those bad days of the car.
I have kept note of all the Odo readings when I felt this performance setbacks. Will talk to Honda ASC on my next visit very soon.
Any inputs would be great.
Thanks
Harpreet
I got 10K service done for my i-DTECH at Classic Honda, Faridabad on 25th December 2014. It costed my approx INR 2500 for the full service.

I detailed them the issue which I had posted above. My car used to give variable pickup during the same drive and I was really flabbergasted by this.

Well the service manager openly acknowledged the issue and also added that the issue has been reported by other owners too.

According to him the resolution suggested was a firmware upgrade of the ECU. According to him Honda knows about the issue and hence have an upgrade for the ECU firmware - which according to them would resolve the issue.

Well they have upgraded the firmware of the ECU of my car and the issue seems to be have resolved now. I have already done 200 kms after the service and have not faced that issue. Car has become flatter to drive but smooth and repetitive about its nice performance.

I'm still getting an FE of 24 constantly with my sedate style of driving.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:10   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
According to him the resolution suggested was a firmware upgrade of the ECU. According to him Honda knows about the issue and hence have an upgrade for the ECU firmware - which according to them would resolve the issue.

Well they have upgraded the firmware of the ECU of my car and the issue seems to be have resolved now. I have already done 200 kms after the service and have not faced that issue. Car has become flatter to drive but smooth and repetitive about its nice performance.
Cool, that's good to hear.

Did you find anything faulty in the ECU with the torque pro application?
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:02   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Cool, that's good to hear.

Did you find anything faulty in the ECU with the torque pro application?
Hello Adarsh

I tried using the OBD reader and it worked perfectly fine. But somehow I could not find all PIDs for Honda City for a the application TorquePro. Therefore apart from some very basic parameters, I could not read out much from the ECU.

For FORD, TorquePro has all the PIDs built in but for Honda City it was really difficult to find the applicable set of PIDs.

-Harpreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Has anyone installed HID bulbs to the new 2014 city? If yes, what is the power rating of the bulbs? Do the bulbs really make a difference in terms of visibility or are they only for enhancing the looks of the car?
Hello All,

Apart from HIDs, which even I'm contemplating to get installed, I have few questions:

1. Which HIDs are the best and in which price bracket they are available ?
2. Do installation of HIDs void the warranty ?
3. Also I'm looking for installation of Reverse parking camera and sensors. Can some of your experts guide me as to which one is the best and from where I should get them installed ?

-Harpreet

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th January 2015 at 05:41. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:05   #3405
BHPian

Hello Everyone !!
Wishing everyone on the forum a happy new year 2014 !!

My car had gone for its first paid service on December 15, 2014. ODO was at 18600kms approx. I will post details about it later, as I am yet to get the serviced car in my hand (was quite busy the past couple of days). Total cost of the service was around Rs.8500/-. (Will post complete details later.)

Quote:
Hello All,

Apart from HIDs, which even I'm contemplating to get installed, I have few questions:

1. Which HIDs are the best and in which price bracket they are available ?
2. Do installation of HIDs void the warranty ?
3. Also I'm looking for installation of Reverse parking camera and sensors. Can some of your experts guide me as to which one is the best and from where I should get them installed ?

-Harpreet
1. Osram Xenarc 2nd generation and philips xenon bulbs both are good. I had seen a couple of videos on youtube which make me feel that the osram xenarcs are better. (but its on the video so cannot comment). They both are available at Rs. 11,000/- a pair, which includes the bulb, wiring and ballasts. Bulb specifications for the city are H11 for low beam and HB3 9005 for the high beam. Also do get projectors installed or get D2R type of xenons. It is pretty blinding for oncoming traffic and pedestrians without the proper type of xenon bulb.
Do note that the high beam reflectors are not good/properly throw light, as many of the members upgraded their highbeams to Osram Nightbreakers 60W, Philips Xtremevision 60W and high wattage bulbs and didn't get a satisfactory outcome.
2. Depnds from dealer to dealer.
3. I don't have an answer to that, sorry. But please make sure they can get it the same colour as the car or paint it the same colour. Some dealers have painted the parking sensors (which you get as offical honda accessory). Many members have got that done. Although at around Rs. 7,000/- they are pretty costly.

Quote:
What I noticed was that even with the slightest pressure on the clutch ,cruise was deactivating. I usually used it in 6th gear only so I used the clutch only for downgearing,so may be that is one reason it getting disengage as pointed by shreyas. Using brakes definitely deactivates it.
Do get it checked. On my car, you can activate cruise control at any gear, as long as the speed of the car is more than 40kmph. After cruise control is activated/set, you can upshift without the cruise control getting cancelled. Downshifting and depressing the brake pedal slighting will turn cancel the cruise. As I can remeber, Depressing the clutch pedal doesn't do anything while in cruise.

A useful point of information would be that, the RES button in cruise stands to RESUME. The first time you press this button during a trip, the cruise is set at the speed we are travelling with at that moment. The subsequent times you press the RES button, the car goes back to the previous set speed. (I once set the cruise at 100kmph. The next time I wanted the car to be set at 70kmph, but instead it started accelerating to 100kmph, hence I mentioned it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Could you give feedback on ground clearance of the new city?
Ground clearance is good for most roads. On unpaved/rural/roads with dirt and sand, which are uneven, the front bumper and the engine guard (both made of plastic/fiber) touches. On really high humps, even if only one person is sitting inside, it would scrape the underbelly. I have scraped the underbelly on such humps (and have never chosen those paths again).
Random rocks in the middle of unpaved/rural mud roads do hit the chasis, but not the engine slump. This is in my i-VTEC, i don't know about the i-DTEC engines as the engine occupies more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Has anyone installed HID bulbs to the new 2014 city? If yes, what is the power rating of the bulbs? Do the bulbs really make a difference in terms of visibility or are they only for enhancing the looks of the car?
i haven't installed HID bulbs yet, but still am in the planning stages. Most HID kits come with a 35W rating these days and the ballast does something (not exactly sure what it does, i read somewhere it reduces the wattage and tricks the ECU into thinking a 55W bulb is installed).
IMO i feel if anyone installs HIDs they should get it installed with projectors. (many car and bike owners install HID kits wiithout projectors, it blinds the oncoming traffic.)
For visibility purpose, its better to install HID kits with a colour temperature around 4300K. It is a mix of yellow and white, but more white. Pure white is 6000K but it is of no use in heavy rain and thick fogs. Bluish white is around 8000K.
For enhancing the looks of the car with white colour lights, its better to install bulbs like Philips CrystalVision/DiamondVision or Osram Nightbreaker (don't remember the sub-type). They come at a fraction of the price of 2 pairs of HID kits.
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed