Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 18:11   #3436
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Hopefully the car will arrive at the dealership in third week of Jan or so they say. Waiting to see what rubber it comes with and then I'll decide.

I wonder what is stopping Honda from giving us the same alloys used in their Malaysia version. City is not a cheaply priced car so the additional cost of that alloy (should not be a lot more than the current one) is not the reason I guess. They launched City here in India first because this market is important for that car. They have been selling in highest number here. Yet this detrimental attitude is not acceptable at all.

Actually, the alloys for the Malayasian City is 16" and wear 185/55 R16 rubber. There is some DECREASE in ground clearance and it stands at 150mm. I do not know this decrease is due to the tyres+alloys combination or becuase they lowered the ground clearance to give it a sporty stance. Most probably they have lowered it to give it a sporty stance as all the models have the same ground clearance and only the top variant carries the alloys. (marked in yellow)
Another reason that 16" alloys not being used is because of ride comfort. Tyres with a bigger sidewall height helps absorb bumps and give a more comfortable ride.

While we are talking about alloys; the alloys for the new city which come as standard OEM for the V and VX variants are about Rs.9000/- each while the Offical Honda Accessory alloys are Rs. 9500/- each. I read somewhere in the forum, the old City's 5 spoke alloys were more costlier (even more than the Accord-ish 10 spoke alloys) and the 14 spoke gunmetal finished ones were more so.

Source: http://www.honda.com.my/model/specifications/allnewcity

Another interesting thing I noticed while at the Malayasian City website. It shows that boot capacity is 536L. (marked in purple) I don't understand how the Malayasian City possibly can have more boot space; that too with boot cladding and (doubtful) bigger wheel.

Reading the Owner's manual for the City, you can find out that they skipped a lot more than just boot cladding, alloys and a 7" touchscreen ICE. But point to be noted is that the Malayasian and Thai spec Citys are more costlier compared to ours (~15 lakhs).

IMO I wouldn't have minded spending an extra Rs. 50,000/- on the top end for boot cladding, the advanced instrument console, a full front and rear wheel arch cladding and better packing of the tool kit. (I don't mind if they can throw in projectors with DRLs for the headlights, a pearl white colour, auto-folding ORVMs, a better looking gear knob, height adjustable seat belts, foldable rear seat, etc; but I know its pushing it, but i guess it can be done in a lakh)
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-upload.png  

themonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 20:03   #3437
BHPian

Horn of my car sounded awkward and was diagnosed as faulty. Replaced under warranty today.

The new set of horns is sounding better and louder than the previous one.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 00:23   #3438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Horn of my car sounded awkward and was diagnosed as faulty. Replaced under warranty today.

The new set of horns is sounding better and louder than the previous one.
I haven't heard the horn sound of new City or not sure about their quality but can definitely say that the outgoing 3rd gen model had poor quality horns. I got my car's horns replaced in almost every service till 25k mark since last 3-4 years!
Old 17th January 2015, 10:13   #3439
MMX
BHPian

Good Morning Everyone, all you Respected BHPians...(I'm so fascinated to be a member)

This is my first post here and I would like any and all sorts of guidance how to better post a comment/query/reply in the forums.

I'm very impressed by each and everyone of you who takes the time and effort to write here.

Now for my Query,

Approximately 6 months ago my search for a Reliable, Comfortable, Fun to Drive, Technically advanced Driving Machine got me to the 2014 Honda City.
Reading numerous reviews daily by all you City Fans (and the others too) I realized that the City had checked quite a few of the boxes in my list of requirements.
Having a Family 3 adults and a Toddler ,knowing that my Wife who hates the Stick shift wanted to Drive and my 6'3" height to be accommodated as well pointed me towards the City Direction.

In the Last week of July, 2014 I went and booked myself a 2014 Honda City Ivtec Petrol VX at the APEX Honda Showroom at Worli Naka, Mumbai. The Agent (Ganesh) was quite clear whilst stating the fact that I wouldn't receive my car before 3-4 months of waiting which I was ready for.

It's now been 6 months since I paid the Booking amount of 51,000/- and I haven't received any information with regards to the procurement of my City VX. Not just that but the Dealers find it completely alright to not send me any correspondence stating when they expect my Car to be available.

I call them every 3 weeks and all they say is - "Sir a Honda City Petrol VX model isn't available very easily and we're trying to get your CAR ASAP." at one point they even mentioned that the color of the Car that I requested (Dark Metallic Brown) was not available easily to which I responded by asking to be informed whatever color is available so that I could make my choice then.

This is quite disturbing as I've placed an order for a specific car that is manufactured as per Market requirements, not waiting for the Car to be cultivated in a field where there is no control of the exact product (though even that is possible these days).

Oh Honda GURUs I request your kind assistance / guidance in this matter.
1 - Am I not being Patient enough?
2 - Am I being too patient? Should I write to higher authorities? Whom should I address these Complaints/Queries to?
3 - Is it really that difficult to arrange a 2014 (Now 2015) Honda City Petrol VX? more so In Dark Metallic Brown even?

Please help me out here.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:52   #3440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX View Post

Oh Honda GURUs I request your kind assistance / guidance in this matter.
1 - Am I not being Patient enough?
2 - Am I being too patient? Should I write to higher authorities? Whom should I address these Complaints/Queries to?
3 - Is it really that difficult to arrange a 2014 (Now 2015) Honda City Petrol VX? more so In Dark Metallic Brown even?

Please help me out here.
In my humble opinion, I think you are way too patient. You were promised in 3-4 months and it's 6 months now and you still do not have a clear picture on when your car is expected. All other factors like availability of the variant, color etc are not relevant here. I think you should go to the show room and make a noise about it and say you are going to escalate to Honda. I won't be surprised if your car miraculously appears.

Unfortunately, there is no real booking order dealers follow for these in demand cars. So more often than not the person who makes the most noise is given preference and folks like you who have been extremely patient and polite are consistently pushed to the back of the queue because the dealer assumes they can keep convincing you with some reason or the other.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 11:41   #3441
MMX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Unfortunately, there is no real booking order dealers follow for these in demand cars. So more often than not the person who makes the most noise is given preference and folks like you who have been extremely patient and polite are consistently pushed to the back of the queue because the dealer assumes they can keep convincing you with some reason or the other.
Thanks Rajeevraj for the prompt reply.

what I missed on mentioning in my post is that My Company regularly buys cars from this showroom and has a very good authority over them. That was the sole reason I proceeded with the Booking in the first place.

This is why I'm most disappointed as I've really been very understanding towards the Dealers and they've been totally unresponsive.

I'm totally taking up your advise and I will visit their showroom today to be vocal about my anticipation.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:14   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
I call them every 3 weeks and all they say is - "Sir a Honda City Petrol VX model isn't available very easily and we're trying to get your CAR ASAP." at one point they even mentioned that the color of the Car that I requested (Dark Metallic Brown) was not available easily to which I responded by asking to be informed whatever color is available so that I could make my choice then.
I think you have waited way too long already and you still don't have any clear info. The choice of colour and trim cannot be the reason. I guess you need to put more pressure on them. Why do you call them every 3 weeks? If I were you and if I hadn't received my car even after waiting for 6 months which is 2-3 months beyond actual waiting period then I'd probably call them every morning and evening and infact give them a visit ever so often so that they feel that I'm really serious about the delivery. In your case you can contact other dealers in your city and see if they can give you the car sooner. Then you can cancel your previous booking and go for a new one that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to wait another 4months. Since you want a 2014 model car, I don't think you will have much of a difficulty in finding one soon atleast if you're flexible about the colour.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 12:27   #3443
MMX
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you call them every 3 weeks? If I were you and if I hadn't received my car even after waiting for 6 months which is 2-3 months beyond actual waiting period then I'd probably call them every morning and evening and infact give them a visit ever so often so that they feel that I'm really serious about the delivery. In your case you can contact other dealers in your city and see if they can give you the car sooner. Then you can cancel your previous booking and go for a new one that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to wait another 4months. Since you want a 2014 model car, I don't think you will have much of a difficulty in finding one soon atleast if you're flexible about the colour.
Damn And here I was thinking I was being too impatient.

Thanks Carpainter for the reply.

It's just that in July when I booked the Car both Apex and Arya Honda dealers told me that it was very difficult to get a City before 3-4 months. this made me vary of the fact that if I cancel my booking now I would have to wait a whole period of 4 months all over again. If that's the case then I might as well think of a different Car such as a Toyota Corolla Altis AT Petrol (Which I did test drive a couple of times and though was very smooth).

Anyway You're Right I need to be more insistent on the fact that I have waited enough and I must get my Car by the end of the month.

Though just a thought - How long should I wait Before I shoot off a mail to Honda India with regards to the Delay and the lazy/careless attitude of the Dealers to keep me informed.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:58   #3444
KRN
BHPian

Quote:

It's now been 6 months since I paid the Booking amount of 51,000/- and I haven't received any information with regards to the procurement of my City VX. Not just that but the Dealers find it completely alright to not send me any correspondence stating when they expect my Car to be available.

Please help me out here.
I think you have been more than patient and I feel that the dealer is taking you for a ride. I booked my car in mid December and expecting delivery in a week or two. This is the SV CVT variant in my choice of color.

Its high time you escalate this with the dealership and if required with Honda
KRN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 09:54   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Damn And here I was thinking I was being too impatient. .
I really appreciate your patience friend. If I would have been in your place I would have already fired the showroom people atleast a dozen times,written to honda India and cancelled my booking!!
They delayed my car delivery for a week and I told them flat to cancel and give me refund to book the Ciaz. Surprisingly I got the vehicle in next 3 weeks. People who are willing to wait are taken to task by honda people I guess coz I know a doctor who is in US,he booked a automatic top variant for his aged parents 4 months back and went back to US. Poor parents are still to hear anything from honda 😦
I guess you should be a bit more aggressive. Even if you cancel your booking,there are plenty more options in the market other than City which are even better than city in many aspects.
By the way just saw many tweets addressed to honda on twitter regarding the same issue. Is it you who is taking it on twitter as well?
Old 18th January 2015, 11:45   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:

Though just a thought - How long should I wait Before I shoot off a mail to Honda India with regards to the Delay and the lazy/careless attitude of the Dealers to keep me informed.
You should do that right now. In fact you should first call the Honda Customer care immediately and make your complaint there.

If it was a diesel variant, 6 months delay could have been justified.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 12:36   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Look if you want to stick to City and don't want to depend on your current dealer then you can contact other Honda dealer(s) in your city and explain everything in detail. See if they can understand your problem and arrange a car for you asap because you're definitely not ready to wait for another 3 months. There is a possibility and you might get a car sooner specially if you are flexible with your colour choice. If you want to go for some other car then it's a different ball game altogether. Different cars have different waiting period running at the moment and you'll have to wait again. In the end it's for you to decide.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 16:08   #3448
MMX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I think you have been more than patient and I feel that the dealer is taking you for a ride. I booked my car in mid December and expecting delivery in a week or two. This is the SV CVT variant in my choice of color.

Its high time you escalate this with the dealership and if required with Honda
KRN ..You booked your car in Mid December and you're expecting it already. .....that's great. ...I've just called the Manager at the dealership and given him a good sounding. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
I really appreciate your patience friend. People who are willing to wait are taken to task by honda people.
I guess you should be a bit more aggressive. Even if you cancel your booking,there are plenty more options in the market other than City which are even better than city in many aspects.
By the way just saw many tweets addressed to honda on twitter regarding the same issue. Is it you who is taking it on twitter as well?
DoctorKK - thanks for the comments and the advice above I have sternly complained to the Manager at the dealership and I called Honda Customer Service and placed a complaint for the same.
They've promised a call back in 24 hours. I'll surely inform you all once i get a call for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
You should do that right now. In fact you should first call the Honda Customer care immediately and make your complaint there.

If it was a diesel variant, 6 months delay could have been justified.
Bluevolt - Thank you very much I've taken all you guys advice and called the Honda Customer Services and also emailed a complaint to their official email address.

MODS - is it ok for me to paste the email complaint I've sent to the customer service here? Please advice? You see there's a Newbie written under my name. ...

Quote:
Look if you want to stick to City and don't want to depend on your current dealer then you can contact other Honda dealer(s) in your city and explain everything in detail. See if they can understand your problem and arrange a car for you asap because you're definitely not ready to wait for another 3 months. There is a possibility and you might get a car sooner specially if you are flexible with your colour choice. If you want to go for some other car then it's a different ball game altogether. Different cars have different waiting period running at the moment and you'll have to wait again. In the end it's for you to decide.
Carpainter - I've sternly complained to the Manager and he called me back saying there's a car allotment and they'll make sure that it is delivered to me by the end of this month.
Not taking his every word for real (Once bitten. ...twice shy) I've asked him to check the details of the car very clearly and call me back on Monday Morning confirming all of them.
Plus I've complained with Honda Customer service by call and email. If there's no response by the end of next week then I'll totally call the other dealers and speak to them about what you've suggested.

THANK YOU EVERYONE

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by bblost : 18th January 2015 at 23:11.
Old 18th January 2015, 18:24   #3449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Carpainter - I've sternly complained to the Manager and he called me back saying there's a car allotment and they'll make sure that it is delivered to me by the end of this month.
Not taking his every word for real (Once bitten. ...twice shy) I've asked him to check the details of the car very clearly and call me back on Monday Morning confirming all of them.
Plus I've complained with Honda Customer service by call and email. If there's no response by the end of next week then I'll totally call the other dealers and speak to them about what you've suggested.

THANK YOU EVERYONE
If there is a car allotment done, he should have the VIN number. Ask him to give you that and check the 'VIN decoding thread' to find the month of manufacture. This is just to make sure they don't try to push a display/demo car or a car that has been sitting in their yard for some reason or the other.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 20:02   #3450
MMX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If there is a car allotment done, he should have the VIN number. Ask him to give you that and check the 'VIN decoding thread' to find the month of manufacture. This is just to make sure they don't try to push a display/demo car or a car that has been sitting in their yard for some reason or the other.
Hey Rajeevraj - Thanks for the heads up I'll surely ask him for the VIN number for the precautions you mentioned and I'm keen to know if it's a 2015 car that they're giving me or not. It doesn't make sense to wait this long and get an older car.

Most Viewed