Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 22:50   #3556
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
On more than one occasion, the rear passenger sitting behind the driver's seat has asked to increase the AC even if it is set in Auto Mode. I end up manually setting the fan speed (with AC on) to the highest level.
This is during the peak afternoon times while driving in direct sunlight.

I got me wondering whether the cooling level in the AC is on the lower side in my car. I'll get this checked at leisure sometime.
When I put my fingers in front of the blower, there is cool air coming out for sure, but its not like finger numbing chill (like it was in my earlier car)

The rear window without any sunfilm gets all the sunlight shining on the rear passenger and this might be a significant contributing factor. I have those suction cup based fabric shields, it useless and keeps falling off.

Have any of you faced the same issue with cooling ?
I don't see the need to get your car checked, it does'nt seem like an issue , have wrote about it last summer . City's AC is just adequate and takes its own sweet time to cool the cabin on peak summer days , it is not a chiller by any defination and never did the cabin ever got uncomfortably cold in such conditions even when the blower was running at full speed and the temperature set to 'low'.

I always tend to use the manual controls in all my cars , have owned cars with automatic air conditioning since about a decade but no one in my family is satisfied with setting a temperature and letting the air conditioning system do the rest. Manual controls work for us and it usually starts with full blower speed on a hot sunny day and then setting it to about 20-30% capacity for the rest of the trip and temperature set to the lowest value at all times.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 14th February 2015 at 22:52.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 07:32   #3557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
No my question was meant if the drive of CVT in 'S' mode was as powerful as the manual. With 'S' mode and paddle shifters I guess it could be driven just like manual moving to the highest rpm, but not sure if it will still have that maniac thrust.

I've taken just one TD of the manual version long back. Let me try to get one more drive of the manual to just see the difference.
The VX CVT will give you that option along with hassle free city driving. The difference, if noticeable, will be small enough to sacrifice for the ease.
My logic is that if 80%(time wise) of your driving is less than 40km/hr then go for the AUTOMATIC.
I went for the SV CVT, mainly for CVT. The biggest benefit of the CVT is the smoothness. For valentine's yesterday, my wife and I went for an hour long drive with an interesting podcast playing. Smooth comfortable drive with the city quietly passing by (pun intended). My display shows 15km/l for my smooth driving.
When I want to go quick, the S mode gives me the rush but I am avoiding it for the first 1000km.
The main reason to not go for automatic transmission is to save money and maybe have the quickest way to shift down and get the thrust.
Old 15th February 2015, 15:00   #3558
BHPian

Hello Everyone!!
Some Updates from my side.
My car is almost reaching the one year mark and the ODO reads around 22500kms. My car finished its first paid service in December 2014.
The engine is butter smooth and it keeps getting smoother as the services go by. I do hear engine noise on idle sometimes; mostly in the mornings and after heavy footed runs, but I guess it’s due to the fluctuating weather.

The first paid service was carried out in December 2014 at Vision Honda, Kottayam. Car was with them from December 15th till December 31st. Had gotten the usual first paid service done, along with refitting of the engine mud guard, which had fallen off previously (Very bad roads) and change of the front windshield glass. Car was also given later after about a week for changing seat foam in the driver’s seat. (The driver’s seat foam got misplaced in the backrest and the metal frame of the seat was hitting my back.) There was also a problem with the front passenger window, that 5-10% of the glass reminded up (Special Thanks to BHPians RavenAvi, anilagdr, pdma and others who had told to keep a firm stand about the glass). They diagnosed the problem after fixing the seat and took a long time in getting the part required to fix it. I decided against fixing it, because I had left my car with them for 2 weeks and that I hadn’t driven my car since December 15th. Total bill for the first paid service was Rs.7184/- and for changing the front windshield was an Insurance claim.
I will not recommend this Service center anymore as they are too busy, and are unable to manage the customers accordingly and no matter how much you scold the service advisors for being tardy; they just shamelessly listen without any remorse. Also I would like to mention that I had sent the car with a relative as I was too busy at that point of time. Maybe this also factors into things I feel.

Finally I had received my car on January 26th. I had planned of putting 3M PFF or sunfilm or something for the front windshield to protect it from further cracks; but on the 3rd day after receiving my car, another stone hit the glass (A maruti 800 was doing speeds of 160kmph, while I was cruising at 80kmph on the Pune highway). Thankfully, the crack is at the edge near the passenger side. This is the third crack so far. While changing the windshield, they DO NOT retain the RFID tag on the new windshield.

Today, while waiting at a signal, a three-wheeler auto truck hit my left fender (I wanted to go straight, but he wanted to take a right.)

Other updates includes, I had changed the High beams to Osram NightBreaker Unlimited HB3 9005 60W. Had ordered the bulbs from e-Pitstop.in. (Cost: Rs.2350/-) It was a simple fix, only tool required is a flathead screw driver, (for removing the windshield wiper water reservoir). Night Driving has become easier, and a lot of difference is seen in the illumination.

Mileage figures for City driving is between 13-15kmpl and for highway driving is between 15-18kmpl. (15kmpl was with 5 fully sized adults and a boot full of luggage) [I drive an i-VTEC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinride View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed before. Has anyone noticed the strong smell, probably from plastics inside. Its not about extended parking duration or exposure to sun light, but the regular parking interval of some hours seem to generate it. It comes back after few days of soap wash.
Get a good car perfume. Its the smell of the plastics, even when I had received my car, the smell was there. I used armorall Arctic mist (The hanging type car freshener) initially to get rid of the smell; after which I used Ambi pur Car Freshener. Now I use godrej car fresheners. If There is no smell while entering the car; but a smell develops after you turn on the AC, then you need to get the Cabin Air Filter cleaned. A very helpful post by CapnCook explains the method of cleaning cabin Air Filter. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3611662

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Spotted this stunning 1st gen city ahead of me in the traffic.....following the great grand daddy
That's pretty good mileage that your getting for an i-VTEC. (it shows 15kmpl). Is it in pure city driving conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX View Post

So now I look up to TeamBHP again for advice for a Tyre upgrade. Spoke to Saifee Tyre in SantaCruz and they said they'll give me Michelin 195/65/R15 for 6000/- I need to find out whether they are Primacy 3ST or XM2.

Spoke to Laxmi Auto Center who advised against 195 and suggested 185/60/R15 mentioning that 195 would hamper the effective turning of the car.

Guys, what do you suggest. I'm keen on getting the 195/60/R15 Michelin though
Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the club !!
For Tyre upgrade, look no further than this post by Moderator Vid6639. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3355693

My suggestion, go for the 195/60 R15 rubber. It will give you a 3mm increase in ground clearance and it will provide better stability. The steering might become a little heavier though.
185/60 R15 will reduce the ground clearance by 3mm; but it is the tyre side with least speedometer error. (195/60 R15 has 1.07% speedometer error)
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 20:38   #3559
BHPian

[quote=themonster;3645280]
That's pretty good mileage that your getting for an i-VTEC. (it shows 15kmpl). Is it in pure city driving conditions?

No. Its 50-50 city and highway. But the city like conditions where I drive are punctuated at regular intervals with speed breakers and do not permit beyond 3rd gear.
Old 15th February 2015, 21:20   #3560
BHPian

During the second free service, I saw the service executive press some buttons and the system carry out a sort of self diagnosis. I was already running late so could not ask him how it was done and what all diagnosis it carries out. Anybody else has observed it or has any idea about this self diagnosis?
Old 16th February 2015, 10:53   #3561
BHPian

Dear City ownes/ would-be owners/ City well-wishers/ criticsit feels great to've read each post in the 238 pages over 3 days gaining valuable insight into the 'H' badge. Last time I sat burning the midnight oil like this was prior to the purchase of Fabia and I'm still proud of that decision back in 2008.

My T. Orange Fabia served me for 6.4 years, never raising up any sort of niggles and absolutely loved the tank like build and precise driving dynamics. I was in 2 minds whether to sell it off or retain it as I thought its time to move to a bigger vehicle. 4 vehicles were shortlisted for consideration:
  1. New Skoda Octavia - Was informed by dealer about 10 months waiting period. Dropped (That was my CAR)
  2. Honda City I-VTEC (Got to test-drive the car extensively. Loved the engine but the weightless feel compared to Fabia and the light steering made me dropped the option)
  3. Honda City I-DTEC (Got reasonable test-drive, but the diesel clatter of City was too much for my ears and combined with other reasons mentioned in (3) I dropped the option)
  4. Ford Ecosport - Test drove both Eco-Boost and 1.5D and finalized on the 1.5D Mars Red Titanium model. Solid build and the relatively precise driving dynamics sealed the deal here. The scope of fair heavy-terrain driving was also considered since my monsoon drives involves bit of mountain./ hill drives for photography.
Took delivery of my Ecosport towards November 2014 end and was thoroughly enjoying it. However, unknown to all, a problem in my left knee that had subsided back around January 2013 resurfaced again by X'mas time of December. It seemed like whenever I drove Ecosport, the knee started acting up and gradually the entire left leg became painful, often incapacitating me even to stand properly. I knew diesel clutches would be bit more tight that petrol ones, but hadn't calculated this type of strain After extensive scans and check-up, the doctor ordered me to give up and go for Automatic Transmission and the only option that blinked in my mind was the City CVT. I was willing to forgo the 'lightness' and other aspects that had led me to rule out City earlier. Well, now, I need lightness on my left foot. HONDA, YOU WON ME BACK AFTER THE FIGHT.

Coming to 2015 February, I booked the CVT (VX) on 09/02/15 at M/s Perfect Honda, Trivandrum paying up Rs. 51,000. Initially the dealer told me a period of 3 months waiting time and I gave open choices for T. White, G. Brown and C. Red, willing to take up any color that comes up first. Thanks to the assistance from the GM of the dealer and the showroom owner himself and lucky that the Zonal Head of Honda was in town last week, they pressed my case on health- grounds. Now, I've informed by the dealer that the probable date of delivery (T. White) would be around 25th February (keeping fingers crossed since from the posts, I became aware of the inordinate delays).

Guess I've quite a bit of company in Trivadrum with adarsh76 and Drkk. Congrats to all owners and now, I'm also waiting like those 'waiters' who are itching to get their hands on new City. Looking forward for more interactions/ learning.

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 16th February 2015 at 10:54.
Old 16th February 2015, 11:21   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Guess I've quite a bit of company in Trivadrum with adarsh76 and Drkk. Congrats to all owners and now, I'm also waiting like those 'waiters' who are itching to get their hands on new City. Looking forward for more interactions/ learning.
Welcome to the Honda and the CVT club . Your same problem with the left knee pain made me decide that I will never drive a manual again at least on longer journeys. It's a right decision which you cannot go wrong with. There is a good competition now with Ciaz, Vento, Rapid and the going to be launched Verna Automatics. But for a petrol engine considering a good balance of space, power,ride and handling this is the one for now (until Toyota launches the Vios ).

Congrats again.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:49   #3563
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the Honda and the CVT club . Your same problem with the left knee pain made me decide that I will never drive a manual again at least on longer journeys. It's a right decision which you cannot go wrong with. There is a good competition now with Ciaz, Vento, Rapid and the going to be launched Verna Automatics. But for a petrol engine considering a good balance of space, power,ride and handling this is the one for now (until Toyota launches the Vios ).

Congrats again.
Thank you Adarsh. I don't fancy the beige floor much for our condition. Planning to get it 'laminated' and use black 3D mats.

I had something called 'Chondromalacia' on my left leg, which was detected in August 2012 after a fall. It was Grade I then and subsequently it was settled. However, the latest scan reveals that it has become Grade III and may advance to Grade IV, if not taken care of properly which can be quite painful.
Old 16th February 2015, 14:47   #3564
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Adarsh. I don't fancy the beige floor much for our condition. Planning to get it 'laminated' and use black 3D mats.

I had something called 'Chondromalacia' on my left leg, which was detected in August 2012 after a fall. It was Grade I then and subsequently it was settled. However, the latest scan reveals that it has become Grade III and may advance to Grade IV, if not taken care of properly which can be quite painful.
You're right. The beige floor does not suit Indian conditions. I already have a few spot of stains. Lamination from a practical side is good but I don't know if it will look good. I'm not too much inclined towards 3D mats. I have in my car and not finding that comfortable. There are many positive reviews including here in Team BHP for 3M Nomad mats. i have this kind of mats at my home and we can find in many offices as well. I guess either we can buy it from 3M or get it tailored cut according to our car measurements. I feel this would be better than doing a lamination.

Since you have a leg condition, try out something before deciding on one.

And please take care of your health

Last edited by adarsh76 : 16th February 2015 at 14:48.
Old 16th February 2015, 14:51   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
Dear City ownes/ would-be owners/ City well-wishers/ criticsit feels great to've read each post in the 238 pages over 3 days gaining valuable insight into the 'H' badge.

However, unknown to all, a problem in my left knee that had subsided back around January 2013 resurfaced again by X'mas time of December.\I'm also waiting like those 'waiters' who are itching to get their hands on new City. Looking forward for more interactions/ learning.
Hi,

Welcome to the Honda City Club . I too pondered over going for a CVT version as I am also having issues like Knee pain after long drives (5 + hours) to my native place. But having stuck to diesel from 1990 I could not think of going to petrol (as CVT is petrol only) and could not accept Verna as it had a sort of cramped rear leg room as well had very low rear seats. So with a compromise that such visits are not frequent I went for diesel MT. I have decided that my next car will only be Automatic Diesel and hoping that Diesel AT becomes common in our market .
Old 16th February 2015, 15:09   #3566
MMX
BHPian

So what an exciting Saturday i had!!!!

It was time to get my Handsome steed some new shoes (Sorry for the horse references but as a child I too wanted a Horse as a companion).

So Thank You GTO, please accept my heart felt Thank You. your guidance to Saifee Tyre Service was exactly the kind Friendly professional advice I sought when it came to making the change.

Thank You GTO!!!

So After making calls to Saifee Tyres in SantaCruz from the numbers mentioned in GTOs review and speaking to Mufi, I headed straight to the Shop with my 4 year old car enthusiast son.

Finding the shop was so easy with the references marked out in GTO's post and I was there in a jiffy from Bandra.

As soon as I drove into the compound I was impressed with the sheer strength of the workforce this establishment had and the systematic placement of cars as per their arrival time and the service required.

As I moved ahead I was asked what I was looking for and upon explaining that I was interested in exchanging the tires I was guided to park my car right outside the main office where Mufi and Jitubhai were sitting. I was quite impressed too with the fact that an Aston Martin Rapid was getting some tire work done right nest to my Honda City.

GTO mentions in his post that it is really worth your time to speak to Jitubhai and get his advice with regards to the tire recommendations and I did just that. Jitubhai advised me to go for the 195/60/R15 as 195/95/R15 wouldn't be good for the City as the extra side wall height wouldn't result in a smooth ride.

Now I was sure that I wanted Michelins so after finalizing an impressive deal I got my MRF ZVTV 175/60/ R15 replaced with Michelins Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15s.

They worked like clockwork around the car as one of the staff was assigned to my car and he went along the course of action in such a smooth manner that I was highly impressed with their efficiency as a whole unit.

I'm very particular that a systematic approach to any activity bears results that are as per our expectations or even surpass them. That was exactly the case with my experience here.

My car tires were changed in a matter of 45 minutes where I witnessed all the activities from tire changes to the Wheel Alignment, weights added, and then the final checking of Tow.

Finally after i had a hearty chat with both Mufi and Jitubhai I made the payment, where they gave my 4 year old a token gift which was a lovely gesture albeit from Michelin but still the kindness was appreciated.

We left knowing that we were advised well, the work undertaken on the car was done with a lot of care and attention to detail.

What more could I ask.

I'll write about the driving pleasure as soon as I've clocked a few more Kms on the car with the new Wheels. But just the initial feeling of driving over minor bumps and turning with increased confidence is such Pleasure.

Miles of Smiles for sure
Old 16th February 2015, 15:30   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Hi,
could not accept Verna as it had a sort of cramped rear leg room as well had very low rear seats. So with a compromise that such visits are not frequent I went for diesel MT. I have decided that my next car will only be Automatic Diesel and hoping that Diesel AT becomes common in our market .
Seran, Verna is not cramped at the rear. There is enough space for the knees. But the main problem is thigh support and low seating. The 2015 Verna has addressed the thigh support factor as per some reviews but continues to sit low. But even the Honda City feels lower at the rear, but any day better than Verna. Ciaz has a higher seating position but not enough thigh support. Can't find the best combination unfortunately.

Verna has an AT Diesel as well as Vento and Rapid. But, the point is if you are looking for greater FE from Diesel cars, then AT's may not help much. Verna returns just over 15 as per Autocar review. Not much idea on the new Vento and Rapid DSGs. Apart from this Verna Diesel has substantially higher maintenance costs as per the chat I had with Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum about an year back. Vento and Rapid are supposed to be anyways having higher maintenance costs.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 15:36   #3568
BHPian

Im coming up on my 5000 km mark & have just completed my 3rd free service for my SV MT iVTEC. Facing an odd issue that has also been faced by my colleague - releasing the clutch in ANY gear (except N obviously) results in a noticeable clicking/grinding sound. Any one else having this issue?

Also have purchased the Osram NBU high beam bulbs but Honda service refused to replace stock with aftermarket bulbs - i guess i can do this myself (someone had posted instructions) but am unable to locate the post. Any DIY videos/pictures for guidance will be appreciated!
Old 16th February 2015, 15:59   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
You're right. The beige floor does not suit Indian conditions. I already have a few spot of stains. Lamination from a practical side is good but I don't know if it will look good. I'm not too much inclined towards 3D mats. I have in my car and not finding that comfortable. There are many positive reviews including here in Team BHP for 3M Nomad mats. i have this kind of mats at my home and we can find in many offices as well. I guess either we can buy it from 3M or get it tailored cut according to our car measurements. I feel this would be better than doing a lamination

Adarsh, I had done lamination for the Ecosport. The good thing is that maintenance is very easy. In case if the floor gets soiled beyond the mat, you can jsut wipe it off with moist cloth within matter of minutes. If it's carpet, you've to vacuum. Since I'm pretty much allergic to dust in my car/ interiors, I used to use my finger nails to dig out minute particles from my Fabia's carpet after vacuum as Fabia was not laminated. 3D mat with multi-layer is quite useful as I had used the same in Fabia & Ecosport. The dust particles won't roam around as they would be trapped in the lower layer. You just need to empty it at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the Honda City Club . I too pondered over going for a CVT version as I am also having issues like Knee pain after long drives (5 + hours) to my native place. But having stuck to diesel from 1990 I could not think of going to petrol (as CVT is petrol only) and could not accept Verna as it had a sort of cramped rear leg room as well had very low rear seats. So with a compromise that such visits are not frequent I went for diesel MT. I have decided that my next car will only be Automatic Diesel and hoping that Diesel AT becomes common in our market .
Yes Seran, hopefully by the time of the next change, the market would be more mature and we can have more choices for ATs.

Quote:
Seran, Verna is not cramped at the rear. There is enough space for the knees. But the main problem is thigh support and low seating. The 2015 Verna has addressed the thigh support factor as per some reviews but continues to sit low. But even the Honda City feels lower at the rear, but any day better than Verna. Ciaz has a higher seating position but not enough thigh support. Can't find the best combination unfortunately.

Verna has an AT Diesel as well as Vento and Rapid. But, the point is if you are looking for greater FE from Diesel cars, then AT's may not help much. Verna returns just over 15 as per Autocar review. Not much idea on the new Vento and Rapid DSGs. Apart from this Verna Diesel has substantially higher maintenance costs as per the chat I had with Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum about an year back. Vento and Rapid are supposed to be anyways having higher maintenance costs.
Adarsh, my dad own a fluidic Verna and with all due respect, its a 'boat' after it passes 50km/ hr. The rear seat is not comfortable for long-drives, especially if its Kerala roads.

Heads that Rapid DSG is reporting complaints in tropical climates (heating?)

Quote:

It was time to get my Handsome steed some new shoes (Sorry for the horse references but as a child I too wanted a Horse as a companion).

So Thank You GTO, please accept my heart felt Thank You. your guidance to Saifee Tyre Service was exactly the kind Friendly professional advice I sought when it came to making the change.
Glad to know your experience
Mysticeyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 16:09   #3570
MMX
BHPian

Quote:

Thank You GTO!!!

So After making calls to Saifee Tyres in SantaCruz from the numbers mentioned in GTOs review and speaking to Mufi, I headed straight to the Shop with my 4 year old car enthusiast son.

Finding the shop was so easy with the references marked out in GTO's post and I was there in a jiffy from Bandra.

As soon as I drove into the compound I was impressed with the sheer strength of the workforce this establishment had and the systematic placement of cars as per their arrival time and the service required.

As I moved ahead I was asked what I was looking for and upon explaining that I was interested in exchanging the tires I was guided to park my car right outside the main office where Mufi and Jitubhai were sitting. I was quite impressed too with the fact that an Aston Martin Rapid was getting some tire work done right nest to my Honda City.

GTO mentions in his post that it is really worth your time to speak to Jitubhai and get his advice with regards to the tire recommendations and I did just that. Jitubhai advised me to go for the 195/60/R15 as 195/95/R15 wouldn't be good for the City as the extra side wall height wouldn't result in a smooth ride.

Now I was sure that I wanted Michelins so after finalizing an impressive deal I got my MRF ZVTV 175/60/ R15 replaced with Michelins Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15s.

They worked like clockwork around the car as one of the staff was assigned to my car and he went along the course of action in such a smooth manner that I was highly impressed with their efficiency as a whole unit.

I'm very particular that a systematic approach to any activity bears results that are as per our expectations or even surpass them. That was exactly the case with my experience here.

My car tires were changed in a matter of 45 minutes where I witnessed all the activities from tire changes to the Wheel Alignment, weights added, and then the final checking of Tow.

Finally after i had a hearty chat with both Mufi and Jitubhai I made the payment, where they gave my 4 year old a token gift which was a lovely gesture albeit from Michelin but still the kindness was appreciated.

We left knowing that we were advised well, the work undertaken on the car was done with a lot of care and attention to detail.

What more could I ask.

I'll write about the driving pleasure as soon as I've clocked a few more Kms on the car with the new Wheels. But just the initial feeling of driving over minor bumps and turning with increased confidence is such Pleasure.

Miles of Smiles for sure
For Some reason the pics weren't uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120544.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120523.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120308.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120301.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120311.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120505.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_120816.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_121533.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20150214_124100.jpg