Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2015, 11:29   #4186
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Honda City collides head on with a Tata Sumo at Jasola, Delhi. Airbags don't deploy!

One-off incident, or a sign of things to come?

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-cc0a14a73405193f1547853d07e6e615_555x416_1.jpg

Quote:
Even after a head-on collision, the City’s airbags failed to deploy, as a result the owner Ravi Khanna’s shoulder was injured. The accident took place in Jasola, Delhi last month on the evening of 27th August.

Speaking about the accident Mr. Khanna said, “My car banged into a Tata Sumo as those guys were not driving in the right way. I noted down their car number and called the police. I had a shoulder injury in the accident. Alongside I called up Honda dealer, Samara Honda in Mayapuri to inform them about the accident”.

Following the accident, Mr. Khanna registered a complaint at Honda Car India call center describing about the airbags failing to deploy for which the customer care personnel replied, “Sorry, the driver got hurt, the car was not hit at the right angle (in a head on collision). The representative also added that the airbags were fine but the sensor did not work because the impact was not right. And thus we cannot help you!“

When Mr. Khanna further asked for an explanation, Honda’s customer care simply mailed across a copy this seemed identical to the information available from the net.

According to Mr. Khanna, it was basically a cut and paste job without getting a proper justification for this fault. When Mr. Khanna again contacted the representative, who goes by the name of Aditya Awasthi simply chose to ignore the complaint.

In this particular case, the Honda City met with a head on collision and the driver says that he was buckled up. Here we surely cannot blame the driver and if the sensors did not trigger the airbags then the manufacturer is bound to be accountable. In case, the passenger or the drivers aren’t wearing a seat belt and the sensors fail to deploy that surely is the driver's fault.
OnCars
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 11:58   #4187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Honda City collides head on with a Tata Sumo at Jasola, Delhi. Airbags don't deploy!

Their response may be correct. Unfortunately, a low slung car can slide under a high vehicle like a Sumo, causing damage without triggering airbag sensors. Which is why Western countries have laws asking trucks and UVs to have under ride protection systems (even if they are not always effective)
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 13:36   #4188
BHPian

The car seems to have taken the impact very well though. Taking the impact where it should and leaving the main parts in relatively good condition.

Last edited by Whichcarnow : 5th September 2015 at 13:40.
Whichcarnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:22   #4189
Senior - BHPian

That's a nasty one. But, it seems the impact has been borne by City quite well by bumper and the hood. Amazingly, both the headlights and indicators are intact though grill is gone.

I am a bit concerned about the airbags not deploying which is happening a lot these days with many cars. Can someone tell me where exactly are the airbag sensors located in City?

Also, if the driver was belted how did he got injured?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 01:18   #4190
BHPian

One way to explain the airbag issue is I think the driver was not really belted up and that fact didn't allow the airbags to deploy. Of course he won't own up. That's a possibility. Don't know if there is a way to confirm seat-belt status at time of impact. Or else what Honda is saying is also possible as the main front apron of the car (the grey coloured horizontal piece of metal situated behind the bumper which is visible) is at least visually undamaged and the airbag sensors are mostly located adjacent to them. Most part of the collision force seems to have been borne by the bonnet.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 01:28   #4191
BHPian

Well, airbags not deploying in this scenario is correct as the crumple zones haven't crumpled. The front apron as mentioned by pixantz doesn't seem to have any damage. The car has taken the impact pretty well. Also, the shoulder injury isn't described properly. It is normal to feel some pain after the accident due to sudden deceleration. Had the airbags opened he would have had body pain as well.

It seems that the city went under the spare tyre of the sumo that was previously mounted on the rear door which is why the headlights are ok and only bonnet, bumper and grill is damaged.

Honda is right in this case but the way they are responding is damaging them in this situation. Someone senior from customer relations should take control of the situation.

Last edited by rockporiom : 6th September 2015 at 01:32.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 11:31   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

There's a lot of Questions that arise from the Photo.
  1. Was the impact really Full Head-On or was it just the Spare Tyre Mounted on the Sumo which was the culprit? From the Photo it clearly Seems to be a case of Spare Tyre Impact. The Bonnet is deformed from the Center first and transferring the impact through the whole of the Bonnet.
  2. Was the Driver wearing Seat-Belts? The cause of Shoulder Injury could be either by the Driver hitting the Steering Wheel or it just could be because of the Jerk received by the Shoulder due to the Seat Belts.
  3. The Bumper seems to have only given away with minimal damage. There does not seem to be any major impact on the Bumper to cause any deformity of the Bumper.

Yes, we have had a lot of cases reported recently about Airbags not deploying. But analyzing the impact zone is also a key criteria before blaming the manufacturer for Air-Bags not deploying.

Just to give a different scenario for Airbags not deploying, Had this impact been with a Truck instead of a Tata Sumo, the driver would have had more serious injuries without the Air-bags being deployed, as the car would have just gone under and the impact would have happened half-way through the bonnet and possibly the Wind-shield.
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 12:33   #4193
BHPian

A shoulder injury would happen , most likely due to the seatbelts tightening due to the impact of the accident . As far as I know , most cars have the impact sensors for the airbags in the front bumpers or just behind them at that level , and by the looks of the photo , the bumpers look fairly intact . I'd guess the seatbelts did their job and left the owner with a sore shoulder .
anky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 18:45   #4194
BHPian

My horn has gone kaput again. Already replaced both hi and low horns about 3 times under warranty. I don't know if this either due to low quality horns as part of cost cutting or problems with some particular batch of horns.

The cost of replacing horns including the complete set comes to around 2000+ bucks. If cost cutting was the real reason for this problem, then the strategy is backfiring for Honda. Once I get the horns replaced for the 4th time that would mean 8000+ bucks cost for Honda to replace under warranty.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:31   #4195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
My horn has gone kaput again. Already replaced both hi and low horns about 3 times under warranty. I don't know if this either due to low quality horns as part of cost cutting or problems with some particular batch of horns.
What are Honda doing with the previous 3 set of horns that were pulled out of your vehicle?

What Maruti does is sends it back to the R&D (at least in my case where I have asked for a root cause to them) and gets it checked for what the fault be.

This is NOT good for Honda especially with their sole model that sells. They are stooping down to the limits just save money by cost cutting.
Old 11th September 2015, 19:48   #4196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What are Honda doing with the previous 3 set of horns that were pulled out of your vehicle?

What Maruti does is sends it back to the R&D (at least in my case where I have asked for a root cause to them) and gets it checked for what the fault be.

This is NOT good for Honda especially with their sole model that sells. They are stooping down to the limits just save money by cost cutting.
I was told these would be send back to Honda. What happens afterwards I'm not sure.

JFYI - I had replaced my right electric ORVM under warranty as well. Initially, I was told it was due to some hit by outside object but later it was confirmed it was the motor issue. The replaced ORVM is still working well. 4000+ bucks for that. But I think this is a rare issue and not a prominent one.
Old 12th September 2015, 09:42   #4197
BHPian

Honda City : Official Review

Quote:

The cost of replacing horns including the complete set comes to around 2000+ bucks. If cost cutting was the real reason for this problem, then the strategy is backfiring for Honda. Once I get the horns replaced for the 4th time that would mean 8000+ bucks cost for Honda to replace under warranty.

Adarsh, Can you please help us understand the issue better - is it that the horn makes less sound, or changes its pitch quality, or is it that it doesn't make any sound at all?
Old 12th September 2015, 11:22   #4198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Adarsh, Can you please help us understand the issue better - is it that the horn makes less sound, or changes its pitch quality, or is it that it doesn't make any sound at all?
Outdoor - It's all of them mainly for the high horn. On hard press, it changes the pitch quality and on normal use there would be less sound. There are times when the high horn doesn't work at all.
Old 12th September 2015, 14:29   #4199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Outdoor - It's all of them mainly for the high horn. On hard press, it changes the pitch quality and on normal use there would be less sound. There are times when the high horn doesn't work at all.
Same issue I am facing since sometime. The horns are pathetic and I will have to go for an after market one soon.
Old 12th September 2015, 16:13   #4200
BHPian

I'm sorry, I can't agree with your hypothesis. This is just blaming the victim

The fact that the currenty City is more problem-prone is not due to the customers demanding more value for their money. Even if they were being unreasonable, it's unconscionable that Honda chose to meet the demand by shortchanging quality. It is difficult to accept the hypothesis that since Honda had to meet a fixed cost, they cut corners & the problems are a result of that. The Hyundai Verna, which is currently cheaper than the City, has sold as many numbers as City but one rarely hears of quality issues with it. Yes, Verna may have many faults (soft suspension being the primary one) but Quality isn't one of them.

A childhood friend of mine bought his 1st sedan last year, a City. In the 11 months he has owned this, he's had the AC Condenser replaced once, Engine Mounts replaced, Horns replaced twice & there's a persistent rattling noise coming from the dashboard no one has been able to figure out a solution to. Believe me, he spent close to 12L on it & he is justified in holding Honda responsible for it. He tells me that he should have gone for a Verna or a Vento rather than Honda.

Honda, in their greed for money, has let down the customers. The Indian customer never forgets & regaining their trust after delivering a turd is difficult. (Fiat can attest to that fact)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I think Honda is giving the Indian customer what he/she wants. Just look at the product they were giving us before the latest City. Solid reliable cars with awesome driving dynamics and rock solid reliability, great mileage. And what did we customers do? All of us started going ga-ga over the cheaper segment counterparts and their "cheaper" "creature" comforts or so called great "feature list" , at CHEAPER sticker prices. Dunno about the average customer but personally, as an enthusiast, I see that as a slap on all manufacturers who try to give us a BETTER AUTOMOBILE rather than a feature list race contender. So Honda in a swift move matched all the demands and gave us what we technically wanted. Feature list and all. I really appreciate the speed at which they did that. And they had a winner, and everyone is happy and the sales chart is doing great for Honda too.

But was that enough? No! We wanted to have our cake and eat it too. Forgetting that there are no free lunches.

The only sad thing is Honda kind of compromised the very element that makes up what we looked up to Honda as a brand for.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks