Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 10:57   #4276
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have a quick question for fellow Honda City owners. How much engine oil goes in when we do a oil change?
The Honda Service bills say quantity as 36 Units. Is this for 3.6 litres? I know for sure that its between 3.5 and 4 litres.
Sir, I verified my first few service bills and its always been the same 100ml X 36 units. So, it might be just above 3.5 litres of oil for every oil change but not more than 3.6 litres.

Some outside service centres bill for 4 litres as they do not have shorter units of the oil. I am guessing Honda purchased engine oil(Idemitsu) in barrels and can use 100ml units out of that. Elsewhere, they might be purchasing in the 4 litre cans like Shell Helix Ultra.

--Kalyan
Old 6th October 2015, 15:02   #4277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have a quick question for fellow Honda City owners. How much engine oil goes in when we do a oil change?
The Honda Service bills say quantity as 36 Units. Is this for 3.6 litres? I know for sure that its between 3.5 and 4 litres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Sir, I verified my first few service bills and its always been the same 100ml X 36 units. So, it might be just above 3.5 litres of oil for every oil change but not more than 3.6 litres.
--Kalyan
Yes. Even I remember I asked this during my last service at Sundaram Honda and they said they used 100ml units.
Old 7th October 2015, 11:40   #4278
BHPian

Fellow Honda / City owners... I remember reading an article a while back that Honda was releasing an app similar to the Maruti app for tracking vehicle details. Have you'll come across any such thing?
Old 7th October 2015, 13:19   #4279
BHPian

CVT owners. Basic query-

How do you park your car in neutral, when you have to park it, say, on the side of the road (for the attendant to move it back and forth if need be). I was told that the motor won't switch off unless parked in 'P', but i killed the engine off yesterday in 'N' and it did ! There was some green instrument light on the panel which was still on though. May be one cannot switch the motor off AND lock the car from outside unless it is in 'P' ? If so, what do you guys do?
Old 7th October 2015, 20:25   #4280
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
CVT owners. Basic query-

How do you park your car in neutral, when you have to park it, say, on the side of the road (for the attendant to move it back and forth if need be). I was told that the motor won't switch off unless parked in 'P', but i killed the engine off yesterday in 'N' and it did ! There was some green instrument light on the panel which was still on though. May be one cannot switch the motor off AND lock the car from outside unless it is in 'P' ? If so, what do you guys do?

You can switch off the motor in N, but to remove the key you have to put the car in Park. So you may have to leave the car in Neutral with the key inserted if you have to leave it to the attendant.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:01   #4281
BHPian

Quote:
CVT owners. Basic query-

There is a small hidden keyslot by the side of the shift stick which can be opened with a small screwdriver, the key goes into it and then the stick can be moved to N with the engine off. IMHO, Honda meant this as a solution to towing the vehicle and not as a parking solution, which is why it is hidden. It was open on the 2004 CVT model though.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:45   #4282

Hello Gentlemen,
After 4 rigorous attempts to be part of the community, I'm finally allowed. Pheww!!

After months of reading reviews, views & comments on team bhp forum I now have my eyes set on Honda City VMT Petrol. (Have looked at almost all segments & cars available, in past few months). There has not been a more confusing buying decision then this ever in my life.

Before I go ahead I wanted to check how will the new City do in Delhi with its fairly low GC. Please advice.

As an introduction, I am a first time car buyer with driving experience of 15 learning classes (7 km each) & test drives taken for i20 Elite, New Ford Figo (as aspire wasnt available) & Honda City. All Petrol variants.

Please advice if it is good to go with Honda City.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:01   #4283
BHPian

Quote:
CVT owners. Basic query-

Hello Mate,

From my experience with the Vx CVT, the car does cut off when in N, However the screen would display a message asking you to move the stick to P. In the Vx there is a small green LED blinking on the start/stop button even after the engine is cut off and we need to repress the start/start button to turn off all the systems in the car.
I once parked the car in P and left, when I returned after 12 hours I got a call on my cell phone while I was walking towards the car and I was surprised to see the blue tooth picking it up and the ring was heard in the speakers.
This is when I realized that I should actually press the button again to turn off the green led to avoid having any systems active when the car is parked.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 17:02   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroads View Post
Please let me know how worried I should be with the low GC of the City in the National Capital.
I have been driving a Honda city diesel 2014 model , did not experienced a single instance of car scarping the bottom in past 18 months of ownership. I am saying this even if 5 adults are sitting.

However, to ensure this happens . Drive slowly over bad roads/craters. Hope this helps
Old 8th October 2015, 17:34   #4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by adik1984 View Post
I have been driving a Honda city diesel 2014 model , did not experienced a single instance of car scarping the bottom in past 18 months of ownership. I am saying this even if 5 adults are sitting.

However, to ensure this happens . Drive slowly over bad roads/craters. Hope this helps
Thank you so much !! Your words does boost confidence. I have read so much about City's low GC that just couldn't get it out of my system. I'm sure I will end up taking another test drive with 5 people sitting on rather bumpy road, just when I make final decision about the City.
Old 8th October 2015, 19:01   #4286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much !! Your words does boost confidence. I have read so much about City's low GC that just couldn't get it out of my system. I'm sure I will end up taking another test drive with 5 people sitting on rather bumpy road, just when I make final decision about the City.
The new one doesn't scrape. I regularly go around with 5 people in car and 100+ kg in the boot and it never scrapes even on the big speed breakers we have in NCR. So, don't worry about it.
Old 8th October 2015, 20:25   #4287

Thank you, that really helps. It does not seem to be that bad as it appeared. :-)
Old 8th October 2015, 20:45   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adik1984 View Post
Quote:
I have read so much about City's low GC that just couldn't get it out of my system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The new one doesn't scrape. I regularly go around with 5 people in car and 100+ kg in the boot and it never scrapes even on the big speed breakers we have in NCR.
The low ground clearance problem has been sorted out in the 4th Gen City. If you go through the detailed review at the beginning of the thread, it has been explained in detail how the fuel tank's position has been shifted from the bottom of the driver's seat to the rear and the floor of the car does have a sort of curve also which is quite evident once the car is raised during servicings. From my personal experience I can say that I have driven with 3 adults, 2 children and boot full of luggage for almost 1200kms. Though I did not deliberately try to push the ground clearance to its limit on odd speed breakers but the car did pass all those hurdles with ease and never scraped the belly. And from the stretch where I drove, Delhi can be safely compared to be heaven. Leave aside speed breakers, there are potholes which are almost half a foot deep at their deep ends. So just do not bother on the ground clearance and seal the deal.
Another incident I would like to share here is the capability of the City (Petrol in particular) to ford through water logged roads. Recently, when I was driving from Hisar to Bathinda, on a rainy day, I happened to come across stretches on the NH which were badly and deeply water logged. I could see number of car owners (Verna, Cruze, Indico to name a few) with open bonnets trying to fix whatever in their stalled cars. A scene flashed through my mind : the service trying to coax me to opt for the hydrostatic lock option while purchasing the insurance policy, but I stubbornly opted out. I was literally cursing myself. Why didnt I opt? Then it occured to me that the mechanic in a Maruti Service Centre once advised me to switch off the ac (reason not known), put the car in the 1st gear before entering the water stretch and maint a high rpm and negotiate the stretch. I just remembered the almighty for a moment, followed the advisory like a trainee pilot carrying out pre-flight checks religiously and entered the stretched. To be more cautious and be able to hear any abnormal sound if any occurs, I also switched off the music system. Luckily nothing happened and the car forded through with ease. The only problem being truckers with limited to nil common sense drove through at such speeds that they splashed water all over the car. Surprisingly, I negotiated six such stretches the longest being almost 300 metres long. Met atleast 15-20 people with stalled cars and open bonnets but the City was unstoppable. I asked a friend of mine later who said the air intake position of the petrol city is way up as compared to the diesel which has put many a diesel city owners in problems, an issue discussed earlier in this thread. But for petrol owners, I can safely say, pat yourselves once again on your backs. Your buy is worth every bit of it. It wades through water with ease and wont leave you with an open bonnet calling up the RSA guys.....
aviator1101 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 21:54   #4289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
I also switched off the music system.
Hahaha, i so agree with you! Whenever the car has to be waded from a pool of water, I shift the stick in 1st gear , Switch the A/C and Stereo off{Don't know why, by yeah inner voice..asks you to } and then slowly passing the gut remembering the almighty!

Delhi might sound good on the road part, but Gurgaon where i drive to work..the roads are almost invisible when it rains. To cover a distance of 15 Kms, it take 3+ Hours sometimes!

Considering the horrible fact, I made a promise , my next car has to be a SUV
Old 8th October 2015, 22:49   #4290
Senior - BHPian

I believe the 1st gear driving practice is done cos engine can easily stall while in 2nd gear due to deep water. AC is switched off for the same reason reducing the load on engine. Music system doesn't seems to have any relation but switching it off can help in better concentration.

Most Viewed