Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-299.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3873467)
So you're saying that the 1.2 TSI is only available in a DSG variant? And the manual will come in 1.6 TSI?

Vento 1.6 is not Tsi. Its a naturally aspirated engine and yes it comes in manual only while 1.2 Tsi comes in Auto only.

Quote:

We are getting the City V MT version which has pretty much all the bells and whistles for 10,50,000 OTR Ahmedabad. And the SV MT for 9,85,000.
Only Vento Comfortline is near to that cost and doesn't have many of the features. Not even Alloy Wheels. Highline is a little pricier but will definitely take a look. When comparing the VX and the Highline, the Vento is cheaper.
So you're saying that the 1.2 TSI is only available in a DSG variant? And the manual will come in 1.6 TSI?

1. It's not a 1.6 TSI. It's a naturally aspirated unit and is quite outdated compared to the superior 1.2 TSI which produces as much power with more fuel efficiency using a turbo charger and direct fuel injection.
And yes, the 1.6 is manual only while the 1.2 is automatic only
2. Forget features and trims for a while and finalise which car you want. It's your money and decision so take time and decide which car really meets all your criteria.
3. My personal opinion- Ciaz( I'm not sure of the pricing). If it fits in your budget of 10 lakhs, it would be the ideal car for your running. Plus it's reliable unlike the unpredictable City. Vento's maintenance cost doesn't justify for your running.
4. Verna- are you sure your happy with the backseat comfort and support? I feel it's worse than the i20.

Quote:

W

Venti TSi is DSG only, and the 1.2 TSI's output is well within that specific gearbox's capacity. If you are getting an AT as good as this particular DSG, why bother with operating the clutch and working the gears? Especially as your running is low. Slimes per km should be priority. 1-1.5kmpl here or there really does not matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3873472)
Our budget is of 10 lakhs.
Which cars do you guys suggest?
I have the Ecosport Ecoboost in the list. But it is available only in Titanium+ which 11,32,000 OTR and a Trend+ which is like a base variant which I don't like.

I bought my City almost 2 years ago, and the Vento came with the old 1.6 engines back then. If I were to make that purchase decision now, firstly, I'll not buy the City and secondly, whatever I'll choose will have to be an automatic. I will either buy the Vento TSi or stretch my budget to the Elantra diesel AT or the XUV W10 AT. Jetta is ridiculously priced nowadays, otherwise it would have been an obvious contender. And if in case I am unable to take the leap, I'll settle for the Figo Aspire DCT and save cash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3873660)
========
If I were to make that purchase decision now, firstly, I'll not buy the City and secondly, whatever I'll choose will have to be an automatic. I will either buy the Vento TSi or stretch my budget to the Elantra diesel AT or the XUV W10 AT. Jetta is ridiculously priced nowadays, otherwise it would have been an obvious contender. And if in case I am unable to take the leap, I'll settle for the Figo Aspire DCT and save cash.

So you're not happy with your City? Apart from the vibrations and the poor built which I've heard a lot, what problems have you faced?
And as I said our budget is 10lakhs. Maybe extend till 10.5. So Vento AT is out of the option, so are XUV and Elantra. Figo Aspire, yes. A good car. Yet to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 3873495)
1. It's not a 1.6 TSI. It's a naturally aspirated unit and is quite outdated compared to the superior 1.2 TSI which produces as much power with more fuel efficiency using a turbo charger and direct fuel injection.
And yes, the 1.6 is manual only while the 1.2 is automatic only
2. Forget features and trims for a while and finalise which car you want. It's your money and decision so take time and decide which car really meets all your criteria.
3. My personal opinion- Ciaz( I'm not sure of the pricing). If it fits in your budget of 10 lakhs, it would be the ideal car for your running. Plus it's reliable unlike the unpredictable City. Vento's maintenance cost doesn't justify for your running.
4. Verna- are you sure your happy with the backseat comfort and support? I feel it's worse than the i20.

Thank you Turbohead. :)
1) Verna felt quite okay when compared to the Elite. Although the back seat winner is the City any day. 2) I was considering Vento just because I thought I could get a manual 1.2 TSI. So now that you've clarified that, no more Vento.
3) Yet to drive the Ciaz. Average looking. Good mileage. Has good features. Built is so so. Pricing is jaw dropping for such a big car, I'll get the ZXi for 9.64. I won't even get the middle version of City for that price. But the ridiculously huge footprint will pose a problem for my dad's daily commute. According to him City itself will be a huge car for him since he has driven only hatchbacks till date. Anyways will wait for MSIL to launch the Ciaz through Nexa.
4) The City is definitely unpredictable. Some owners are very happy whilst some are crying. But I have high hopes that Honda will improve the quality in 2016 models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 3873495)
1.Plus it's reliable unlike the unreliable City.

Hello Turbohead,

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, just curious to know what made you outrightly term the City as unreliable..

I am a proud City owner from last three years and it hasnt been to service center apart from scheduled maintenance *touchwood* :)

I am sure there are many other Citys like mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayank0782 (Post 3873679)
Hello Turbohead,

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, just curious to know what made you outrightly term the City as unreliable..

I am a proud City owner from last three years and it hasnt been to service center apart from scheduled maintenance *touchwood* :)

Mayank, which generation do you have? The 3rd right? That one was pretty reliable unlike the new one.
I am a City lover too, but having gone through all the niggles faced by people, I start having second thoughts.

Friends off late I have seen some videos and tweets from Honda regarding something called 'Honda Connect',being offered for a price of 3000/-
It is some application sort which will help us connect to our car, run diagnostics etc. Not sure whether they'll provide any other device or will get an app. Anyone of you have any idea? I have registered for it but not sure how useful it would be. Any suggestions?

Quote:

Hello Turbohead,

Take a look at my post one more time. I said unpredictable not unreliable. In short it can be a hit or a miss. You seem to be having a 3rd Gen City( if your car is 3 years old) which is reliable and is more or less everything a Honda is.
4th Gen City is a huge leap in most depts except downright reliability and quality. As you know there is a thread dedicated to this. Honda should and I hope is working on these problems.
I don't own a City and I shouldn't be talking about this but some of those posts and threads speak for themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorKK (Post 3873686)
Anyone of you have any idea? I have registered for it but not sure how useful it would be. Any suggestions?

More details on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...a-connect.html

Quote:

Hello Turbohead,

Dear mayank0782 and Turbohead,

My 2 cents - This is the first time I have heard someone generalize City as unreliable. I had a City (2006 ZX VTEC) for 9 years and sold it to get an automatic Jazz. I could have kept it for 6 more years - it was so niggle free.

I made a few acquaintances at the dealer, who had different generations. Nobody mentioned niggles. I can imagine some people having complaints - but I do not think it is right to call it 'un-reliable! No Offense Intended!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorKK (Post 3873686)
Friends off late I have seen some videos and tweets from Honda regarding something called 'Honda Connect',being offered for a price of 3000/-
It is some application sort which will help us connect to our car, run diagnostics etc. Not sure whether they'll provide any other device or will get an app. Anyone of you have any idea? I have registered for it but not sure how useful it would be. Any suggestions?

Please see the thread on this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3872924

I have installed the software and I am now waiting for the device.

My posts in that thread explain my experience as of now.
I hope that will be useful to you.

Girish Mahajan

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3873681)
Mayank, which generation do you have? The 3rd right? That one was pretty reliable unlike the new one.

Yep mine is the 3rd Gen. 2012 make.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 3873694)
You seem to be having a 3rd Gen City( if your car is 3 years old) which is reliable and is more or less everything a Honda is.

Turbohead : I think I misquoted you. Sorry about that. Just a little too sensitive about the City. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKMahajan (Post 3873705)
Dear mayank0782 and Turbohead,

My 2 cents - This is the first time I have heard someone generalize City as unreliable. I had a City (2006 ZX VTEC) for 9 years and sold it to get an automatic Jazz. I could have kept it for 6 more years - it was so niggle free.

Girish Mahajan

Agreed Girish. The unpredictability Turbohead was mentioning was about the Latest Gen City. I m not too sure about it as I haven't experienced it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3873668)
So you're not happy with your City? Apart from the vibrations and the poor built which I've heard a lot, what problems have you faced?

Its not about being happy, its about putting your 10L to best use. And I don't think the City is the best anymore. You seem to be quite enamored with the car. Answer me this. Everything else being the same, I replace that big H on the grille with a certain T of an Indian company. Will you still think about it in the same way? Will you still try and try to convince your mind that this is the ideal car for yourself?

My fundamental grouse with the car is that it has aged very quickly. From dull and scratched paint to noises and rattles all over to a rough sounding engine (mine is diesel) with a clunky gearshift to soft and sagging seats to things like brakes and suspension taking a beating. It does not feel like a car that has 40k km on the clock, but like one which has done twice or thrice that mileage.

And dont for a moment think the car has not been cared properly for. I am very particular about maintenance. My good old Scorpio has over 4L km on the clock and is still going strong.

Quote:

Yet to drive the Ciaz. Average looking. Good mileage. Has good features. Built is so so. Pricing is jaw dropping for such a big car, I'll get the ZXi for 9.64. I won't even get the middle version of City for that price.
We have one in the family. It is a most boring car to drive and has aged as quickly as my City. Decent enough to be driven around, but not something you'll want to drive on a regular basis.

Quote:

According to him City itself will be a huge car for him since he has driven only hatchbacks till date.
To give credit where it is due, the City is very easy to drive in traffic. The car shrinks around you. Steering is very light, the turning circle is really tight and agility is good. The car is always willing to change directions quickly at your command. You never feel the size of the thing. And it isn't that big anyway.

Quote:

The City is definitely unpredictable. Some owners are very happy whilst some are crying. But I have high hopes that Honda will improve the quality in 2016 models.
Don't for the moment think the car will leave you stranded at night in the middle of the road It is NOT unreliable. But at the same time, it has to be said that be car seems to have been designed and built against serious cost targets. As such, this generation of the car with just have to live with its basic issues. I will not get my hopes up about quality levels magically improving in the new year or even with the eventual facelift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3873745)
Its not about being happy, its about putting your 10L to best use. And I don't think the City is the best anymore. You seem to be quite enamored with the car. Answer me this. Everything else being the same, I replace that big H on the grille with a certain T of an Indian company. Will you still think about it in the same way? Will you still try and try to convince your mind that this is the ideal car for yourself?

My fundamental grouse with the car is that it has aged very quickly. From a dull and scratched paint to noises and rattles all over to a rough sounding engine (mine is diesel) with a clunky gearshift to soft and sagging seats to things like brakes and suspension taking a beating. It does not feel like a car that has 40k km on the clock, but like one which has done twice or thrice that mileage.

And dont for a moment think the car has not been cared properly for. I am very particular about maintenance. My good old Scorpio has over 4L km on the clock and is still going strong.

We have one in the family. It is a most boring car to drive and has aged as quickly as my City. Good to be driven around, but not something you'll want to drive on a regular basis.

To give credit where it is due, the City is very easy to drive in traffic. The car shrinks around you. Steering is very light, the turning circle is really tight and agility is good. The car is always willing to change directions quickly at your command. You never feel the size of the thing. And it isn't that big anyway.

Don't for the moment think the car will leave you stranded at night in the middle of the road It is NOT unreliable. But at the same time, it has to be said that be cars seems to have been designed and built against serious cost targets. As such, this generation of the car with just have to live with its basic issues. I will not get my hopes up about quality levels magically improving in the new year or even with the eventual facelift.

True buddy, very true.
But lemme answer your question about replacing the H with the T. I think I would still buy it. It's not the brand that attracts me, it's the flair the car has. The generational flair. The looks of the car. You have to agree with me that it looks drop dead gorgeous anytime of the year. I guess look wise the only competition it has is the Verna, which is also good but isn't as classy as the City.
You are absolutely right when you say that I am enamored by the car. It has been like a dream car for me. And convincing my parents for this was the most difficult thing. And now that I've convinced them, the niggles that I told them doesn't even matter to them. :P I guess I am good at convincing. Mom was also a huge City fan like me but was adamant at first on spending 10lakhs on a car. A test drive changed her opinion.
No doubt there are cons to the City but it does not overlap the pros and that's a good thing.
We intend to keep our car till 6-7 years. Whichever it will be eventually.
The Germans are way superior when it comes to cabin quality as well as the driving dynamics, but their poor after sales and high cost of ownership will be a bigger niggle to us than the squeaking and rattling since we are service class people and we don't have a fortune to spend on cars.
My dad is a sedate driver and is conservative about FE. 90% driving will be by him and some occasional redlining my me. ;) and i-Vtec loves to be revved at the same time loves to be driven sedately as well.
I've thought about every car in my head, trust me. Millions of times. And EVERYTIME, it comes down to the City. I think I love it so much that I can easily overlook it's flaws.
Appreciate your patience(if)you read till here.

I had posted a query about 14 pages ago, but haven't got a reply so I went ahead with an insurance claim. An auto recently rear ended our parked vehicle so had to change bumper too. 2 months and this happens. :'(

We have an ivtec btw. And these days I'm noticing that from the outside it isn't that quiet. Has anyone faced any issues with the muffler/silencer? I don't think I have ever scraped the underside that bad. Getting it checked during free service.

What rpm does your manual ivtec run at for a speed of 100kph? I'm observing around 3k which is a bit high I think. Does it reduce after the oil change at 10k km?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3872555)
Can you guys tell me what fuel efficiency you are getting on the i-Vtec during city and highway drives?

In modest city driving my city is giving mileage of 12, although during winters with no ac it gives up to 12.5.
On highways 15 -16 is something you can expect based on traffic conditions. My personal best achieved on highway stretch was 22 with 2 person on board and driving at a speed of 90 with minimal braking.