Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2015, 02:00   #4486
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
You are absolutely right when you say that I am enamored by the car. It has been like a dream car for me. And convincing my parents for this was the most difficult thing. And now that I've convinced them, the niggles that I told them doesn't even matter to them. :P

I've thought about every car in my head, trust me. Millions of times. And EVERYTIME, it comes down to the City. I think I love it so much that I can easily overlook it's flaws.
If that is the case, well, the heart wants what the heart wants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath2709 View Post
We have an ivtec btw. And these days I'm noticing that from the outside it isn't that quiet. Has anyone faced any issues with the muffler/silencer? I don't think I have ever scraped the underside that bad. Getting it checked during free service.

What rpm does your manual ivtec run at for a speed of 100kph? I'm observing around 3k which is a bit high I think. Does it reduce after the oil change at 10k km?
It can sound louder if the engine is cold (higher idle speed) of it the AC or the radiator fan suddenly switch on. Do make sure that is not the case.

It is usually at a bit under 3000rpm at 100kmph in fifth, but minor variation can happen because of fuel quality or a choked air filter.
Old 20th December 2015, 03:11   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
You are absolutely right when you say that I am enamored by the car. It has been like a dream car for me.

I've thought about every car in my head, trust me. Millions of times. And EVERYTIME, it comes down to the City. I think I love it so much that I can easily overlook it's flaws.
I was in the same boat three years ago !

I could not even think of any other car.

Still remember the City Commercial which came 5-6 years ago and thought it was tailor made for me

"You have been eyeing it for a while now, secretly, when no one's looking. At traffic lights, parking lots, sometimes right outside your house. You have been quietly nursing a desire, that someday you will hold it, grab it, look into its eyes and say you are mine. Today is that someday"

And when I finally could lay my hands on it, I repeated to myself just like in the commercial..... "Today is that someday"

Woah Nostalgia !!!!
Old 20th December 2015, 08:19   #4488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

It can sound louder if the engine is cold (higher idle speed) of it the AC or the radiator fan suddenly switch on. Do make sure that is not the case.

It is usually at a bit under 3000rpm at 100kmph in fifth, but minor variation can happen because of fuel quality or a choked air filter.
Ok. Every time I start the car, it starts at about 1300-1400 rpm these days. I let it come down to 800, only then do I roll on. Air filter should be clean enough. Barely done 4k km yet in 2 months. Does weather ever play a part? Pretty cold here these days.

And I asked because some CVT owners said car runs at 1500 rpm around the 100 kph mark. That's quite smooth I must say!
Old 20th December 2015, 09:45   #4489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Not driven the manual one, but my City CVT revs around 2000-2200 RPM at 100kmph with cruise control locked at that speed. At 120kmph it revvs as 2500rpm.

Last edited by ampere : 20th December 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 20th December 2015, 09:50   #4490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAP View Post
Also got complimentary touch up for a scratch to my front bumper, apparently from some 2-wheeler who came kissing my car.
In Pune, Delear (Deccan Honda ) does not do any touch up for small scratches and says I have to get entire bumper/area repainted and quote 4-5K for repainting. Its nice to see your dealer doing it for free. Can you share pictures of touch up work if possible?
Old 20th December 2015, 09:56   #4491
BHPian

Brand new City Petrol Vx. Took delivery on 1 May. Today is 20 December and my battery is dead. Only 7.2k Kms on the ODO. Will be replaced under warranty but what the heck. And the steering mounted audio control button left key has also gone kaput which they are unable to replace as they don't have the parts.
Old 20th December 2015, 10:16   #4492
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Every time I start the car, it starts at about 1300-1400 rpm these days. I let it come down to 800, only then do I roll on. Air filter should be clean enough. Barely done 4k km yet in 2 months. Does weather ever play a part? Pretty cold here these days.

And I asked because some CVT owners said car runs at 1500 rpm around the 100 kph mark. That's quite smooth I must say!
That is because the CVT is a 7 speed gearbox and yours is a 5 speed.
Old 20th December 2015, 10:16   #4493
BHPian

I have been seeing a lot of bashing around of the City once again on the thread with regards to quality.

Again, its each individual's perception and choice. Those who want quality can shift to Germans & other Stuff. Those who want reliability can have the Japs & Koreans.

My City has done over 23K kms. While I am completely enjoying my life with the City, I do share some of the concerns with regards to the squeaking sounds and stuff. The panels definitely feel light. I am driving the Polo right now due to my City being in the Service Center after an Incident. The Polo seems the same weight as that of the City.

I think Shreyans indicated the bumper being pathetic. I completely disagree. I have had my bumper take a moderate hit three times. Only once has it been misaligned on one side by about a centimeter. This was due to a cow's face hitting the bumper at a speed of around 40-50 kmph. That indicates the strength of the bumper.

It will be almost two years since the launch of the 4th Gen City. There has been no complaint with regards to the City dropping dead in the middle of nowhere, even after some people have clocked over 40K & 50K kms.

As an overall package, in the current C2 Segment Sedans there is hardly any car that comes close to the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
The bad: below average deck, skinny tires, low seating position in rear, stupid service interval of 5000km/6months
A correction. It's 10K kms / 6 Months.

This is something very perceptive as per each individual. The Koreans say 10K Kms / 1 Year. It's only the time duration that changes, not the kms. My usual running is around 7-8K per 6 months, which I think is the general running of majority of the Petrol Owners. Now decide which one is good and which one is bad.

If one sticks to the 1 Year schedule of the Koreans and does servicing after every 13-14K Kms, the manufacturer has equal rights to claim warranty void in case of any warranty issue on the pretext of 'Servicing not done at proper time'.

As such it is good to get the Engine Oil changed between 7-8K Kms.

With regards to the cost of servicing, it is dependent on the individual to not get conned by the ASC Guys.

Quote:
That's Wrong Information I am afraid. The CVT revs at 2200 RPM for 100 kmph, whereas the Manual revs at 2900 RPM for the same speed. The difference is due to the 6 Speed CVT and 5 Speed Manual.

Last edited by tejas08 : 20th December 2015 at 10:19. Reason: Additional Quote
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 11:29   #4494
BHPian

Quote:

Dear bharath2709,

I have a Jazz V CVT 2015 model.

According to what I have read in multiple places: you should start rolling the vehicle as soon as it starts. I find that my car starts idling between 1100-1500 rpm with ACC ON. If I do not take off immediately, it goes down to 800-900 rpm. Normally, I just start driving immediately. Until the blue engine temperature light does not go OFF, I do not let the speed/rpm rise. What upper limit? I do not measure, but I think it never crosses 2000 rpm.

The CVT is just fantastic. At very low speeds, the car can maintain 10-20 kmph at 1000-1500 rpm. And on a smooth highway, at 1500 rpm the car is traveling at 85 kmph! Once I cross 30 kmph, the instantaneous FE moves between 24 and 27 kmpl at steady speeds. Slight acceleration or deceleration causes the FE to vary between 15 kmpl to 35 kmpl. On very slight down slopes, I have even seen it hover around 50 kmpl for upto a minute or two!

I hope this is useful to you.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 11:46   #4495

The 2014 City is definitely built lighter than its predecessors, I have reported issues to the Service Center in Abu Dhabi on frequent dashboard rattles. They have identified the rattle in my car, but due to my prior commitments couldn't keep the car overnight for them to rectify the same. They have said they will rectify it in next service. Don't know about the Indian City, but the Thai Built City (Top end) is shod with 185/50/R16 Bridgestone Turanzas.

With regard to engine being noisier, yes, the CVT is noisier (At lower speeds) & gruff when compared to the 5 Speed Auto Civic 1.8 iVTEC. The Service Center said this is common for all CVT Cars in Honda and there is nothing to worry (Is this issue prevalent in the Indian made City?)

You guys won't believe, the official service pattern for Gulf Spec cars are 5000km/3Months! (recently the Govt of UAE has passed a law mandating only 10,000km/6 Month w.e.f 1.1.2016) and Honda here threatens to void warranty if we don't follow that pattern (they are a monopoly and the only dealer for Honda across the UAE) . However, personally, I ensure, whether the car is adequately run or not, it must visit the service center twice a year (to which my SA has happily agreed).
Old 20th December 2015, 12:37   #4496

Silly of me to forget about the different ratios, though technically the cvt should have infinite ratios, not just 6 or 7. For the manual, 2900 rpm seems about right then. Thanks people.
Old 20th December 2015, 12:49   #4497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There is no need to wait for the blue light to go off or for the rpm to drop. You can start driving right away but dont rev the engine hard during the initial few km. My car's air filter gets clogged rather frequently. I clean it every month and replace it at 10k km (manual says 20k), Delhi NCR conditions. Ditto for the Jazz

OT: You don't describe Surat or any other place in south Gujarat as cold to Delhi guys

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicheadUAE View Post
Not driven the manual one, but my City CVT revs around 2000-2200 RPM at 100kmph with cruise control locked at that speed. At 120kmph it revvs as 2500rpm.

2200rpm or so is what the City CVT does at 100kmph. The 5 speed manual revs at a little less than 3000rpm at the same speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
My City has done over 23K kms.
I don't want to jinx it for you but my City was perfectly fine at 25k km or even at 30k. It was over the next 10000km that the car developed all kinds of signs of aging. The kind you expect a car to show not sooner than 70-80k km

Quote:
I think Shreyans indicated the bumper being pathetic. I completely disagree. I have had my bumper take a moderate hit three times. Only once has it been misaligned on one side by about a centimeter. This was due to a cow's face hitting the bumper at a speed of around 40-50 kmph. That indicates the strength of the bumper.

I am happy for you that your car's bumper has been holding up. Unfortunately, my car's has been a real pain. No ASC has been able to fix it properly despite a full bumper replacement no less, and I am having to rely on the jugaad engineering of my trusted denter.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:37   #4498
BHPian

Quote:
What rpm does your manual ivtec run at for a speed of 100kph? I'm observing around 3k which is a bit high I think. Does it reduce after the oil change at 10k km?
Hi Bharath,

I have also been driving 2014 iVTEC for the past 1 year and 6 months and yes the engine settles at around 3k rpm @ 100kmph. iVTEC is a high revving engine with peak output of 117 PS at around 6,600 rpm. Magic of a VTEC engine is low rpm fuel effieciency with high rpm performance.
CapnCook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 21:27   #4499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought the new City only because of the reputation. Apart from the lovely iVtec engine, I am quite disappointed with the quality of the car.
Quote:
The best: the awesome iVtec engine. It's by far one of the best I have driven - noiseless till 2500rpm, waking up till 4000rpm and music from there till rev limiter. There are no words to describe the engine... it's just WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Sad to see you finding so many issues with the car related to build quality, have you tried mailing Honda about it? The last gen city was bullet proof, wonder what went wrong this time.
One of my friends also went to a Honda dealership to TD a City i-VTEC and he asked me to accompany him for the TD.
The TD car too had a bit of rattling issue, bumper not properly aligned, space under headlight assembly etc.

After TD, my friend was not at all happy and compared with my City and found it to still drive like a new one with zero rattling and build issues.

He might drop the idea of City and go for Figo Aspire after my suggestion. In fact, he is planning to look out for 2013 3rd Gen City low mileage models that will be almost new like.

The only good thing about the current gen City is that they have carried forward the same i-VTEC engine as they developed it for the 3rd gen.

As someone has rightly said in the thread, the C-segment is not growing since quite a while now. From December 2013, after current gen City launch, there has hardly any new models or existing models revamp coming up. With City a new car, and best looker of C-segment, it is bound to sell because of lack of competition.

Looking forward for the year 2018 for the new gen City to make its way in the market with better build quality and all issues/niggles sorted thereafter.
Old 21st December 2015, 22:49   #4500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
One of my friends also went to a Honda dealership to TD a City i-VTEC and he asked me to accompany him for the TD.
The TD car too had a bit of rattling issue, bumper not properly aligned, space under headlight assembly etc.

After TD, my friend was not at all happy and compared with my City and found it to still drive like a new one with zero rattling and build issues.

He might drop the idea of City and go for Figo Aspire after my suggestion. In fact, he is planning to look out for 2013 3rd Gen City low mileage models that will be almost new like.

The only good thing about the current gen City is that they have carried forward the same i-VTEC engine as they developed it for the 3rd gen.

As someone has rightly said in the thread, the C-segment is not growing since quite a while now. From December 2013, after current gen City launch, there has hardly any new models or existing models revamp coming up. With City a new car, and best looker of C-segment, it is bound to sell because of lack of competition.

Looking forward for the year 2018 for the new gen City to make its way in the market with better build quality and all issues/niggles sorted thereafter.
I think it'll be the year of 2019.
How does it make any sense to go for Figo Aspire when you want a petrol? That 1.2 is damn boring and isn't efficient as the i-Vtec. Aspire makes sense only for that punchy and frugal 1.5 TDCi. The Hyundai's have a good diesel as well but it isn't as fuel efficient as the Ford.
I think the only alternative to the City is the Ciaz. Very cheap pricing. Average built quality. Average looking but has that Caaaaaaar feeling. Has almost all the bells and whistles. Very spacious. Drives okay.
In Ahmedabad, you'll get the ZXi+ for 10.24L, which is 1.60L cheaper than the VX City. Except for the Sunroof, it has almost everything.
Verna also makes sense but I've heard that 2016 will see a new Verna coming.
iss1307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks