Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-318.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsashishsharma (Post 3957937)
If it is a 3L ₹ Alto, some squeeks are acceptable. Even old veraion Swift used to start rattling as early as 5k KM mark. But for City, falling of dead pedal and mirror is just not acceptable. There is no other way about this. Even in a Nano the mirror doesn't fall off. Come on.
Yes, the engine is good, it is as silent as an engine could be, period. But it's low end torque is just not upto the mark, the fact that the City is a light weight car masks the poor low end of the iVtec. I just hate everything about the City apart from this butter smooth engine. The notchy gearbox, the lifeless steering, the unstable high speed behavior and the apalling build quality. I don't understand what went wrong with the City name after the 1st gen model. After driving my cousin's 2011 City with the same engine and lifeless steering that I wasn't comfortable taking to 3 digit speeds, I loved how my father's 10 years old Baleno felt on the NH-2. I fail to understand why on earth would Honda do what they did to the City monicker. I used to be a Honda fanboy, for the excellent deiver's machine the City was once, and then the 2nd gen that was immensely practical for it's tallboy design, a peppy 77hp engine and build quality that makes a 10 years old car newer looking than a 2 years old 4th gen one.

Agreed. Honda cars are just not what they used to be. I still have my 2006 Honda City ZX. The steering feel is dead, and high speed stability is horrendous but at least the car itself is mechanically solid. Almost 10 years and no squeaks or rattles. I'm sure with regular maintenance the car will last another 10 years.

The Honda cars of today don't seem that reliable.

Quote:

I don't understand what went wrong with the City name after the 1st gen model. .

Well, the way I see it, looking at the big picture, it is us, the Indian customer, that went wrong with the City. We people apparently want to have our cake and eat it too. We want the solid "build,quality,make,door-thud," etc etc and German type of feel in a Korean or Chinese price or value.

Now apparently Honda, or any other good automaker like the legendary Ford too, cannot give us that "feel" at the price we want. They charge what they charge. Do you really think these people forgot how to create what they create suddenly overnight and started using thinner sheet metal etc just like that? They just adapted to the local market demand and valuation to the best possible way in order to make in worthwhile for us and them too. A win-win situation. And I think they've nailed it. And beat the "cheapster" brands to it in the process too. See the sales. But the point to remember here is that there are no free lunches.

It's not just with Honda City. Look at Figo Aspire, Vento and such other good cars too. All have to be built to a price. The price WE want. Why do you think that a VW product like Vento has niggling faults with even critical components like fuel injectors etc but the costlier Passat or even Jetta is not so finicky? Built to a Price! It has to give in some place!

Because for us the bottom line always has to be how much did the product COST or else, "Kitna deti hai" :banghead: . Or how big a steal the purchase was. Every time.

So ultimately only the guys who understand and are willing to pay for the things that should really matter to a logical motorist like Safety, Dynamic Performance(ride/handling), Safe Build quality, etc get to enjoy the real deal.

Agreed, efficiency should be a priority to. But not at the cost of the more important things. To each his own. All I'm saying is that if someone jumps in a river and dies, we should not blame the river.

Happy motoring :)

Quote:

I don't understand what went wrong with the City name after the 1st gen model. I fail to understand why on earth would Honda do what they did to the City monicker.

To be honest , I think that it is the method with which most Indians buy their cars. Features. The more feature loaded car gets bought more than its competitors with lesser features, abeit the car with the lesser features being the better car .

Take for example the 2011-2013 city and the verna ( same time period) most buyers prefed the verna to the city just because the verna had more features ( yes I know the city lacked a diesel engine at that time ,yet)

I know someone who bought an xcent over an amaze . the reason I asked, the xcent had more features than the amaze :Frustrati

So I believe that Honda has done what had to be done to bring in more customers and more revenue-pack the car with features , and they must have thought "who cares about the car, fill it to the brim with fancy gizmos that don't matter "

Quote:

I don't understand what went wrong with the City name after the 1st gen model
Still holding on to my gen 1 city as the daily driver .An Absolutely stunning car!:D

Well, my little input for what its worth

Own- New Gen Honda City petrol CVT
Experience - fabulous. A swift steed, nimble, pleasure to drive
Spacious to sit in, very light steering
Brilliant car to own in a clogged traffic city like Delhi
Almost two years ownership, biggest gripe a loose door beading that got replaced. Can live with that
Engine is a silent gem
Fuel economy with ac on full blast 12.3 km
No jerks, no shudders, silk as smooth driving experience
The door goes click not clunk when closing and I can live with that too
Not european solidity but japanese refinment!

Would I change my mind and buy something else if i could go back in time , not a chance of a snowball in hell

Am a happy satisfied customer:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by One:1 (Post 3958647)
To be honest , I think that it is the method with which most Indians buy their cars. Features. The more feature loaded car gets bought more than its competitors with lesser features, abeit the car with the lesser features being the better car .

Take for example the 2011-2013 city and the verna ( same time period) most buyers prefed the verna to the city just because the verna had more features ( yes I know the city lacked a diesel engine at that time ,yet)

I know someone who bought an xcent over an amaze . the reason I asked, the xcent had more features than the amaze :Frustrati

So I believe that Honda has done what had to be done to bring in more customers and more revenue-pack the car with features , and they must have thought "who cares about the car, fill it to the brim with fancy gizmos that don't matter "

Still holding on to my gen 1 city as the daily driver .An Absolutely stunning car!:D

Hi One:1, Hyundai as part of the Korean pack is known the world over for being accepted as a rung or two lower than the Japanese, and trying to lure customers with rich features that are otherwise found on high end vehicles. But the western markets being mature, donot get swayed by just features. In fact, in India, the Koreans are overjoyed to find that they are considered by customers on almost the same level as the Japs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatto63 (Post 3959311)

Own- New Gen Honda City petrol CVT

Experience - fabulous. A swift steed, nimble, pleasure to drive

Spacious to sit in, very light steering

Brilliant car to own in a clogged traffic city like Delhi

Almost two years ownership, biggest gripe a loose door beading that got replaced. Can live with that

Engine is a silent gem

Fuel economy with ac on full blast 12.3 km

No jerks, no shudders, silk as smooth driving experience

The door goes click not clunk when closing and I can live with that too

Not european solidity but japanese refinment!

Would I change my mind and buy something else if i could go back in time , not a chance of a snowball in hell

I have been driving the VX CVT for 2 years and 2 months now and am based out of Gurgaon; my experience is in line with yours though I didn't have the same door issues that you mention.

I have a question for Honda City 2013(3rd generation?) facelift model owners. Whats the fuel economy you are getting in the city (with a/c on) and on highways?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchari (Post 3963326)
I have a question for Honda City 2013(3rd generation?) facelift model owners. Whats the fuel economy you are getting in the city (with a/c on) and on highways?

I have seen 18 on a drive from Bangalore to Chennai. Typically its between 15 and 17 on the highways. On my wife's daily commute in Bangalore traffic, the car averages between 10 and 11kmpl.

Quote:

For the i-VTEC 1.5 L engine, mileage figures hovers around 12-14kmpl in city and 16-18 kmpl on highways. I have extracted up to 20kmpl (as per mid) from the City.

Quote:

I get 8.5 to 9 in Mumbai city. And got 14.1 on a recent trip from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar. Mine is a 2015 petrol model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_tesla (Post 3957260)
Interior is better than current model.

I think it's the same albeit with a black theme which I think is available in India in certain versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 3957690)
This is clearly a cosmetic upgrade, while the current model was a major platform upgrade over the 3rd generation City.

This is supposed to be only a mid life facelift. The next change would come around 5 years after launch of current gen. Honda has been following a 5 year cycle with the car.

Quote:

I just hate everything about the City apart from this butter smooth engine.

I'm quite inclined towards your thought but hate is a strong word. For me it's more of a let down :)

Quote:

That's good for you and hope the experience lasts through your ownership. I guess it's a hit and miss basis owner responses on the forum :D

I have a 2011 September City VMT. My worst figures for mileage is 7kmpl with pedal to floor, 24kmpl few weeks back Delhi-Ajmer-Delhi, hovers around 17kmpl in Delhi traffic, few days back DELHI Yamunanagar Delhi I got 21.5kmpl. All 100percent AC usage except 7kmpl , only me in car always . I have 185/65 R15 XM2 shoes at 32pressure.

What would be the good price for a 2013 Honda City S MT (Petrol) in Hyderabad with around 20k kms on the odometer? Car is good condition, except for some minor dents. Do Honda Citys have good resale value? How is their maintenance costs?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by One:1 (Post 3958647)
To be honest , I think that it is the method with which most Indians buy their cars. Features. The more feature loaded car gets bought more than its competitors with lesser features, abeit the car with the lesser features being the better car

Very rightly said!!

A lot has been said about the deteriorating quality of the recent Hondas manufactured in India. Ive owned Honda cars for 15 years now and not a single one gave me any trouble, the most recent one being the Honda Jazz which is in its 6th year now. I recently drove this car down from Pondy to Punjab , thus clocking 3000kms in 4 days.

Regarding, poor sales volumes, i guess it comes down to lower supply than demand. The sales figures given on various forums are shipments and not sales. Thus these do not correctly represent the demand for a particular product.

Here is a link to my TL -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175615

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 (Post 3966544)
That's not for no reason sir and no one wants to complain after spending ~1mio just for the sake of it. They have genuine reasons and that makes me highly disappointed with Honda.

I totally agree with you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_doctor (Post 3966425)
Very rightly said!!

A lot has been said about the deteriorating quality of the recent Hondas manufactured in India. Ive owned Honda cars for 15 years now and not a single one gave me any trouble, the most recent one being the Honda Jazz which is in its 6th year now. I recently drove this car down from Pondy to Punjab , thus clocking 3000kms in 4 days.

Regarding, poor sales volumes, i guess it comes down to lower supply than demand. The sales figures given on various forums are shipments and not sales. Thus these do not correctly represent the demand for a particular product.

Here is a link to my TL -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175615

Congratulations from one proud Honda owner to another but that's the end of it. I am regular visitor to the Jazz thread as I am in the market for a new hatch and jazz is/was a contender. I can sadly feel the outright frustration the new owners have from their vehicles and most of them are first time buyers.

That's not for no reason sir and no one wants to complain after spending ~1mio just for the sake of it. They have genuine reasons and that makes me highly disappointed with Honda.