Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2016, 12:34   #4786
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailK View Post
Hi All,

I recently had the 5th servicing done for my city and the ASC guy told that the stock battery (Sonic) is weak and it would be better to replace it. I was a bit taken back as it's just 2 yrs old with an avg running of 2000 kms per month. I also haven't added any after market accessories to increase the load on the battery.

As per the ASC guy the stock battery had 1 yr warranty which shows another aspect of cost cutting on the city.

Has anyone experienced the same with battery going dead within 2 odd years?
My Honda city V is less than six months old and the sonic oem battery is showing signs of failure. The car had to sit unused for 10 days while i was out of station and had to be push started on my return , although it has not given trouble since but I have installed a voltmeter cum thermometer in my 12v accessory socket. I now get a voltage of between 13.9 to 14.2 v when the car is running and the battery is getting charged but it drops to 11.4 v when the car has been parked overnight. Although there is no problem in starting but I believe the battery voltage should not be below 12.2 v . I have crosschecked the values reported by this device by checking the voltage with a multi-meter on the battery terminals. Also when I have checked voltages of my other cars using this device it has always reported above 12.2V. I have not installed any aftermarket accessories except a Honda connect device which is anyway recommended by Honda itself and even then I have pulled out the device to ensure that it does not have any adverse effect on battery voltage. My 3rd free service is due in 10 days time and I am going to ask for battery replacement from Honda.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:54   #4787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
My Honda city V is less than six months old and the sonic oem battery is showing signs of failure. The car had to sit unused for 10 days while i was out of station and had to be push started on my return ,
Something is definitely wrong with the battery, get each cell in the battery checked at an outside battery retail store for signs of weakness.

It could also be due to a faulty accessory or after-market fitment that is draining away the battery.

Push starting the car to get it to start should never be attempted. It would cause fuel to enter the catalytic converter and damage it permanently, it is an expensive replacement.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 13:04   #4788
mxh
BHPian

I am facing a recurring issue with the stereo system where all the settings are randomly lost - Time gets reset, audio settings, Bluetooth pairing, FM channels etc all lost. It has happened around 6-7 times. Last time the service station checked the connections and the issue didn't recur for a while but now it has started again.
Also, sometimes the power windows don't respond to the switches. It makes a click sound but the window doesn't move.
Has anyone faced the above issues and how do we get them resolved.
BTW, my battery also is Sonic.
Old 16th May 2016, 13:17   #4789
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I recently had the 5th servicing done for my city and the ASC guy told that the stock battery (Sonic) is weak and it would be better to replace it. I was a bit taken back as it's just 2 yrs old with an avg running of 2000 kms per month. I also haven't added any after market accessories to increase the load on the battery.

Any suggestions?
For a 2 year old car this is not needed. However as a car ages the tolerance of the Electrical items, sensor and motors to fluctuating current reduces. I will give you an incident from my dads i10. It had vibrations on the steering and the steering would go from left to right and right to left on its own even when car was stationery. I know it sounds weird and almost as if there is a ghost in the car.

This turned out to be a battery issue and was tracked by my FNG guy . He used to be a service advisor for Fiat earlier. He says that irrespective of battery age it should be changed at 2.5 to 3 years because of the complex electric items. At first I did not believe him but this i10 experience makes be believe him . He says in linea he used to face random lights coming up on dash and they were linked to battery.

Its not even that he sells the batteries. He says you can buy from outside but do it for the components to last longer.

My G3 Honda City which is now 6.5 years old is on its second battery right now and I will probably change it just to be on a safe side.
Old 16th May 2016, 13:21   #4790
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Has anyone faced the above issues and how do we get them resolved.
I suspect the battery terminals to be loose, any roadside battery dealer will be able to tighten them for you. I had faced a similar problem with my Indica Vista, due to this loose connection sometimes the battery was getting dis-connected for a few seconds when you go over a bump or so, the stereo resets itself when it does not get power from the battery. Now this is what I was told at that time so do not know how much is true/false.
Old 16th May 2016, 14:03   #4791

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
For a 2 year old car this is not needed. However as a car ages the tolerance of the Electrical items, sensor and motors to fluctuating current reduces. I will give you an incident from my dads i10. It had vibrations on the steering and the steering would go from left to right and right to left on its own even when car was stationery. I know it sounds weird and almost as if there is a ghost in the car.

This turned out to be a battery issue and was tracked by my FNG guy . He used to be a service advisor for Fiat earlier. He says that irrespective of battery age it should be changed at 2.5 to 3 years because of the complex electric items. At first I did not believe him but this i10 experience makes be believe him . He says in linea he used to face random lights coming up on dash and they were linked to battery.

Its not even that he sells the batteries. He says you can buy from outside but do it for the components to last longer.

My G3 Honda City which is now 6.5 years old is on its second battery right now and I will probably change it just to be on a safe side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
My Honda city V is less than six months old and the sonic oem battery is showing signs of failure. The car had to sit unused for 10 days while i was out of station and had to be push started on my return , although it has not given trouble since but I have installed a voltmeter cum thermometer in my 12v accessory socket. I now get a voltage of between 13.9 to 14.2 v when the car is running and the battery is getting charged but it drops to 11.4 v when the car has been parked overnight. Although there is no problem in starting but I believe the battery voltage should not be below 12.2 v . I have crosschecked the values reported by this device by checking the voltage with a multi-meter on the battery terminals. Also when I have checked voltages of my other cars using this device it has always reported above 12.2V. I have not installed any aftermarket accessories except a Honda connect device which is anyway recommended by Honda itself and even then I have pulled out the device to ensure that it does not have any adverse effect on battery voltage. My 3rd free service is due in 10 days time and I am going to ask for battery replacement from Honda.
Unfortunately, today morning after refueling at a petrol pump the car wouldn't start. Battery was too weak. Though, lights and power windows were operating as normal but not enough power to crank. Had to get a nearby mechanic to jump start it with his battery and it costed me Rs.200/ , reached office without switching off the engine. Now I've to get it replaced today for sure. Most likely going for Amaron Flo battery with 48 month pro rated warranty.

But disappointed to see the stock Sonic battery last just 2 years.

Ask77, your case seems to be a faulty battery. Pls get it replaced under warranty at the earliest. As I understand the warranty for Sonic battery is just 1 year.

Thanks Manish for your views.
Old 16th May 2016, 15:37   #4792
BHPian

Re: No Honda City DIY's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be Honda City is a perfect vehicle that is keeping all owners happy without the need for any D.I.Y!

Keeping the jokes apart, what is that you are looking in the Honda City or may be the list of things you find absent can be put down. If anyone has done them you can follow the same.
Well,

All the DIY,s for the VW Polo seem to be on the lines of upgrading an entry level/mid level vehicle to have certain features that only top end variants have. For example, Auto closing OVRMs. Similarly, I was keen to make DIYs to upgrade the stereo, electronic OVRM etc.
Old 16th May 2016, 20:20   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Guys - some bad news - met with an accident on the way to Bangalore from Mysore on Mysore Road couple of weeks back. Vehicle is damaged badly - I have escaped unhurt with God's grace. My mother and wife have some suffered some minor injuries and recovering.

In short I hit the divider trying to avoid a cow and the car toppled and landed upside down on Mysore road.

Vehicle Repair was evaulated at Inspire Honda Mysore and it is at 3.86L. The IDV of the vehicle is at 7.2L. So, Honda Assure called me and they are saying the Insurance can cover only upto 50% of IDV value which is 3.6L. Is there such a clause? Please advice.

The choice he is giving me is to either take this offer and pay rest of the repair on my own or to salvage the car at IDV.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 20:45   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Guys - some bad news - met with an accident on the way to Bangalore from Mysore on Mysore Road couple of weeks back. Vehicle is damaged badly - I have escaped unhurt with God's grace. My mother and wife have some suffered some minor injuries and recovering.

In short I hit the divider trying to avoid a cow and the car toppled and landed upside down on Mysore road.

Vehicle Repair was evaulated at Inspire Honda Mysore and it is at 3.86L. The IDV of the vehicle is at 7.2L. So, Honda Assure called me and they are saying the Insurance can cover only upto 50% of IDV value which is 3.6L. Is there such a clause? Please advice.

The choice he is giving me is to either take this offer and pay rest of the repair on my own or to salvage the car at IDV.
Sad to Hear about your accident. HAPPY to read you are safe and so are your family members.

Some quick questions to be thrown at you:
  1. Is it possible to see some Photographs of the extent of Damage?
  2. Did the ASC give you a copy of the Estimate submitted to Honda Assure?
  3. Did the insurance company clearly say 50% of IDV for Repairs or did they give a quote of 3.6L? meaning could it be a case of Wear & Tear Items, Consumables, Compulsory Deductible etc. adding up to the difference between 3.86L & 3.6L.
  4. Generally Airbags are not fully covered under Insurance. AFAIK, 50% of Airbags cost is to be bourne by Insurer.

There is no such clause which limits Insurance Company's liability to 50% of the IDV in any case.

Last edited by tejas08 : 16th May 2016 at 20:48.
Old 16th May 2016, 21:53   #4795
BHPian

This July marks 2 years since I bought my ANHC iDtec VX model from Capital Honda, Pondicherry - the worst mistake I've ever made in my life!

Although it started with the general lack of transparency and high handedness I faced with the sales staff at Capital Honda, the experience post purchase has been a nightmare, to put it lightly.

Some of the issues I have faced till date are:

1. Rear door beading damage in just over 1 year - Replaced recently for Rs. 2,000/- No warranty applicable, apparently.

2. Horn conking off every now and then; had to replace with a better horn from Roots. This worked well for almost 2 years, and then problem started recurring. Had to change back to default horn. It's working, for now.

3. Engine guard locks came off, causing the engine guard to sink. Had to run behind Capital Honda, Chennai for 8 months, before they finally secured it. Even then, it came off later on. Finally, I had to get Regent Honda in Thane to fix it correctly.

4. Unsatisfactory paint work in body shop repair, causing the entire repainted area to have 'pimples' - small raised dots in the paint work - again a result of shoddy repair at Capital Honda, Chennai.

5. Low AC cooling just before the 30k service. During the 30k service, I told the service advisor at Capital Honda to check it up. He assured me all was fine & attributed the low cooling to the Chennai heat. Issue just worsened as I moved to Mumbai. Finally, got it checked at Regent Honda, Thane (hardly a month/1000 km later), where I was told that the Air filter was completely clogged and that because the filter wasn't cleaned on time, the O-Ring as well had gotten damaged and AC gas too had leaked out. Another Rs. 4,500 down the drain.

What really riles me up however, is the apathetic attitude of Honda itself. They have a customer care email team, who's KPI, it seems, is to defend the incompetence of their dealers. No matter what issue you raise, they will just defend their service center, and ultimately you end up the loser.

The car itself is okay, at best. There are rattling issues, I've found ride quality to be particularly poor after coming to Mumbai (A Skoda Rapid or VW Vento has better ride quality in Mumbai's bumpy roads). The apple (ANHC) sure has fallen far from the tree (3rd Gen HC). This would probably be my first and last Honda. Looking forward to selling this off and getting a VW or a Hyundai.

Goodbye Honda, and good riddance.
krishnadevjs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 22:12   #4796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
1. Rear door beading damage in just over 1 year - Replaced recently for Rs. 2,000/- No warranty applicable, apparently.
Thankfully, my car's beadings have stayed put

Quote:
2. Horn conking off every now and then; had to replace with a better horn from Roots. This worked well for almost 2 years, and then problem started recurring. Had to change back to default horn. It's working, for now.
I upgraded the horn just a few days after delivery. It has been working fine 50k km now. Do note that my car's horn is wired through a relay.

Quote:
3. Engine guard locks came off, causing the engine guard to sink. Had to run behind Capital Honda, Chennai for 8 months, before they finally secured it. Even then, it came off later on. Finally, I had to get Regent Honda in Thane to fix it correctly.
Std issue. In my case, it got so bad that I ended up removing the entire engine guard altogether. Good riddance! The people who designed this piece of work deserve to be fired.

Quote:
4. Unsatisfactory paint work in body shop repair, causing the entire repainted area to have 'pimples' - small raised dots in the paint work - again a result of shoddy repair at Capital Honda, Chennai.
This is a dealer specific point. I have for my local Honda dealer's body shop to be satisfactory in all respects.

Quote:
5. Low AC cooling just before the 30k service. because the filter wasn't cleaned on time, the O-Ring as well had gotten damaged and AC gas too had leaked out. Another Rs. 4,500 down the drain.
The first thing to check whenever the cooling drops is if the AC filter is choked. I am rather skeptic about the latter part though. You should have taken a second opinion on this. Did they show you the leak?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th May 2016 at 22:13.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:15   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, today morning after refueling at a petrol pump the car wouldn't start. Battery was too weak. Though, lights and power windows were operating as normal but not enough power to crank. Had to get a nearby mechanic to jump start it with his battery and it costed me Rs.200/ , reached office without switching off the engine. Now I've to get it replaced today for sure. Most likely going for Amaron Flo battery with 48 month pro rated warranty.
Why didn't you call the Exide Batmobile service? From your handle I believe you are from Pune (MH-12). The Pune numbers for Exide Batmobile are --> +91-20-65234341, 32711111, 65234340. Their service is very prompt, usually reach your spot within half an hour of placing the call, if not 30 mins then they will let you know when exactly they can reach. Their van has the jumper cables and the spare battery with which they start your car. They also check the specific gravity of your battery and advise whether to recharge or replace it.

This door step service is absolutely free of cost & I have availed it quite a few times.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 22:19   #4798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

The first thing to check whenever the cooling drops is if the AC filter is choked.
I had specifically instructed the guys at Capital Honda, Chennai to do that, which they assured me they had done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I am rather skeptic about the latter part though. You should have taken a second opinion on this. Did they show you the leak?

Well, they produced all the damaged parts and that did have a damaged O Ring.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:24   #4799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
.. Honda Assure called me and they are saying the Insurance can cover only upto 50% of IDV value which is 3.6L.
Sorry to hear about the mishap.

The following Article (link) may be relevant.
Quote:
A vehicle will be considered a total or constructive total loss where the cost of repair, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, exceeds 75 per cent of the insured declared value (IDV).
Unquote:

It looks like the repair coverage only upto 50% of the IDV offer by Honda Assure is not a standard rule and is quite surprising.

Do you have Bumper to Bumper coverage ?
Which Insurance company under Honda Assure have you taken the policy from ? It may be worth cross checking from the underlying company.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 16th May 2016 at 22:26.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:36   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pitching in with advice guys. Here are the pictures as requested:

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic01.jpg
Front View

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic02.jpg
Windshield broken and roof impacted

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic03.jpg
Left Side View

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic04.jpg
Bonnet also scraped

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic05.jpg
Right Side View

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-pic06.jpg
Boot also not spared

I have received the formal quote from the ASC and the same was emailed to the Insurance guys. I will call again and ask about the 75% called out.

The Airbags did not deploy in this case. The impact was on the right bumper and not frontal.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed