Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-321.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3975206)

Vehicle Repair was evaulated at Inspire Honda Mysore and it is at 3.86L. The IDV of the vehicle is at 7.2L. So, Honda Assure called me and they are saying the Insurance can cover only upto 50% of IDV value which is 3.6L. Is there such a clause? Please advice.

Hi vsrivatsa, very sad to see your car in this state. I remember reading and following your reviews while making the decision myself. Thank God you and all others inside the car during this horrific accident are okay.

Coming to the insurance part, is your Honda Assure the Nil Depreciation policy or the normal one?

In either case, the insurance liability is right up till the IDV in case of total loss. In your case, since the vehicle isn't a total loss, the insurance company is liable to pay you IDV - Salvage value of car.

Not sure who decides the salvage value of the car, but I think it's the Insurer. I'll confirm from my uncle who works with United India about this. In the meantime, mind sharing who the car is insured with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnadevjs (Post 3975330)
Hi vsrivatsa, very sad to see your car in this state. I remember reading and following your reviews while making the decision myself. Thank God you and all others inside the car during this horrific accident are okay.

Coming to the insurance part, is your Honda Assure the Nil Depreciation policy or the normal one?

In either case, the insurance liability is right up till the IDV in case of total loss. In your case, since the vehicle isn't a total loss, the insurance company is liable to pay you IDV - Salvage value of car.

Not sure who decides the salvage value of the car, but I think it's the Insurer. I'll confirm from my uncle who works with United India about this. In the meantime, mind sharing who the car is insured with?

Thanks for your note.

The Insurance I have is Honda Assure and within that it is ICICI Lombard. It is a Zero Depreciation Insurance. Now that you say salvage, I remember he said something on those lines. He said they will do an online auction to determine salvage value. Does it mean they would pay more than 3.6 if the salvage value was higher? I am not very clear on this IDV-Salvage concept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3975337)
Thanks for your note.

The Insurance I have is Honda Assure and within that it is ICICI Lombard. It is a Zero Depreciation Insurance. Now that you say salvage, I remember he said something on those lines. He said they will do an online auction to determine salvage value. Does it mean they would pay more than 3.6 if the salvage value was higher? I am not very clear on this IDV-Salvage concept.

If it is Zero Depreciation Insurance, no matter the value of the claim, the insurer has to honour it. All you will have to pay is Rs. 1,000/-. This is an irrefutable right that you have.
The only case the insurer can escape from this is to call the vehicle a total loss, in which case he would have to pay you the IDV. Insurer would get the scrap value from the vehicle.

In case you want to get your vehicle repaired, I guess there's no way ICICI can refuse it. Since you've paid for Nil Depreciation, all you're liable to pay is Rs. 1,000 - the compulsory deductible. Rest is all payable by ICICI itself.

Have a word with them on these lines. Meanwhile, I will gather more info from my uncle.

I am not really sure about how these insurance works but here is a link that speaks about how its applied.. hope this might assist you further...

http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=715&Itemid=10

i will find out about these hidden clauses before giving you any advice..:confused:sorry:

http://http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.php?option=com_latestnews&view=detail&n_id=9 75&Itemid=10

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnadevjs (Post 3975275)
4. Unsatisfactory paint work in body shop repair, causing the entire repainted area to have 'pimples' - small raised dots in the paint work - again a result of shoddy repair at Capital Honda, Chennai.

5. Low AC cooling just before the 30k service. During the 30k service, I told the service advisor at Capital Honda to check it up. He assured me all was fine & attributed the low cooling to the Chennai heat. Issue just worsened as I moved to Mumbai. Finally, got it checked at Regent Honda, Thane (hardly a month/1000 km later), where I was told that the Air filter was completely clogged and that because the filter wasn't cleaned on time, the O-Ring as well had gotten damaged and AC gas too had leaked out. Another Rs. 4,500 down the drain.

The car itself is okay, at best. There are rattling issues, I've found ride quality to be particularly poor after coming to Mumbai [/b]

Unsatisfactory Paint Work is purely attributable to the paint shop. After how many months did you start noticing the Pimples / raised Paint on the body?

When was the AC Filter changed prior to the low cooling you started experiencing. IIRC, as per the Manual the Dust & Pollen Filter (AC Filter) is to be changed every 20K Kms. My Service Advisor said I could go on for another 10K kms on the AC Filter at the 20K Service. Prior to 30K service, I started noticing a slight drop in AC Cooling. So got the AC Filter changed. And this is pretty normal for any AC.

Even our home ACs need filter cleaning to keep the cooling at the correct level.

I do not know about Chennai Roads, but Mumbai roads are not really roads. With regards to the ride quality of Skoda Rapid & VW Vento being better than Honda City - Definitely Yes! Honda City's suspensions setup was done differently in the 4th Gen. It was tuned for Ground Clearance, hence losing on the Ride Quality. The 3rd Gen had ride quality & comfort but bottomed out almost on every speed breaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnadevjs (Post 3975342)
If it is Zero Depreciation Insurance, no matter the value of the claim, the insurer has to honour it. All you will have to pay is Rs. 1,000/-.

Correction. INR 1000 + Any consumables (Oil, Coolant, Clips etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 3975499)
Correction. INR 1000 + Any consumables (Oil, Coolant, Clips etc.)

I spoke to the Honda Insurance person again today and he clarified saying at his level he can only approve upto 50% of IDV.

Anything beyond that he will have to go thru a longer process of getting a salvage quote. He said post that I can refuse a salvage and ask for repair and he said with higher level approval it can go beyond the 50% coverage. Within 50% limit they can fast track approvals but for higher than that they will have to take this longer process...so I guess its only a process thing which will add to my wait time now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3975613)
I spoke to the Honda Insurance person again today and he clarified saying at his level he can only approve upto 50% of IDV.

Anything beyond that he will have to go thru a longer process of getting a salvage quote. He said post that I can refuse a salvage and ask for repair and he said with higher level approval it can go beyond the 50% coverage. Within 50% limit they can fast track approvals but for higher than that they will have to take this longer process...so I guess its only a process thing which will add to my wait time now.

Tell the Service Advisor to do whatever it takes to approve the amount. In the meanwhile, go to the office of ICICI Lombard with the requisite documents and talk to some higher ups over there. There simply is no reason for giving only upto 50% of the IDV as repair cost.

In fact, based on an Experience of one of my friends, these Insurance Companies would later tell you that they cannot give you the full IDV as the car was repairable and will try to settle you to an amount between 3.6L & 7.2L. So build up a good case and try to keep maximum things in writing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3975287)
Thankfully, my car's beadings have stayed put

I upgraded the horn just a few days after delivery. It has been working fine 50k km now. Do note that my car's horn is wired through a relay.

Any recommendation regarding which horn to replace with? Using the car for 2 years now, the horn seems to have a mind of its own.

Quote:

Std issue. In my case, it got so bad that I ended up removing the entire engine guard altogether. Good riddance! The people who designed this piece of work deserve to be fired.

Yep, Its a systemic issue.

Unfortunately, I can't remove it. Highway roads which are under development have bad sized stones/gravel.

Another solution, The under engine guard is held together by plastic clips. Every once a month i buy 20 clips and replace the ones which have come off(Usually, 2/5 clips come off. I keep the rest as back up). It is a minor hassle but i feel its worth it. Simply because its a critical area. One minor mistake could lead to big expenses.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shivs2003 (Post 3975670)
The under engine guard is held together by plastic clips.

Every once a month i buy 20 clips and replace the ones which have come off.

If it is held by plastic clips that break off so easily, would the engine guard be of use during heavy impacts like a stone hit?

I had replaced the plate in my Punto once after a dozen heavy hits during Chikmagalur - Kemmangundi stretch inside Bhadra reserve. This was a very heavy metal plate held by 5-6 bolts. I am surprised it can be held by plastic clips.

Quote:

3. Engine guard locks came off, causing the engine guard to sink. Had to run behind Capital Honda, Chennai for 8 months, before they finally secured it. Even then, it came off later on. Finally, I had to get Regent Honda in Thane to fix it correctly.

I've scraped my engine guard too many times on rural roads and some nonsense off roading. My engine guard has too many scrapes/scratches on it but it never came off and doing its job as expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3975681)
If it is held by plastic clips that break off so easily, would the engine guard be of use during heavy impacts like a stone hit?
I am surprised it can be held by plastic clips.

It is plastic engine guard hence not so heavy and can be held by plastic clips just like bumper. Mine has taken too many scrapes/scratches and stones and still doing good. I think this issue is only with i-Dtec models. All people facing this issue have Diesel model IMO.

Quote:

I had replaced the plate in my Punto once after a dozen heavy hits during Chikmagalur - Kemmangundi stretch inside Bhadra reserve. This was a very heavy metal plate held by 5-6 bolts. I am surprised it can be held by plastic clips.

Well, there are about 10-15 clips which hold the entire guard. Its a heavy duty plastic with a sheet of aluminium in the center portion which comes right under the engine. And yes, there have many moments when big stones have hit the guard, and its held up just fine. My vehicle is over 2 years old. The engine guard issue has cropped up in the last 4 months. Before that, not a single issue.

And the reason for it cropping up is the high speed highway runs. I travel 150 km a day on Haryana highways. The amount of gravel/vibrations are rather high.

If the issue persists, I will get a quick DIY and place proper bolts and replace the clips.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I can't remove it. Highway roads which are under development have bad sized stones/gravel.

Another solution, The under engine guard is held together by plastic clips. Every once a month i buy 20 clips and replace the ones which have come off(Usually, 2/5 clips come off. I keep the rest as back up). It is a minor hassle but i feel its worth it. Simply because its a critical area. One minor mistake could lead to big expenses.

I drive on plenty of bad roads in industrial areas. This so called guard is low hanging and is usually the first thing that scrapes. Now that I have got rid of it, my car has not scraped anywhere for quite some time now. Also, when you'll inspect it upon removal, you will realize that it is thin and extremely flimsy. You really cant expect it to provide any kind of protection against anything that can potentially damage the sump. It is as useful as scuba gear on a golf course.

Quote:

Exactly. It is useless.

Quote:

Any recommendation regarding which horn to replace with? Using the car for 2 years now, the horn seems to have a mind of its own.
Its a Minda horn. It is mounted at the stock location behind the right fog lamp. Note that the space there is very limited and you cannot install bigger units like the VW style windtone horns. For that, you will have to mount them inside the engine bay(very loud inside the cabin) or in front of the condenser/radiator(potential cooling issues)

Quote:

Std issue. In my case, it got so bad that I ended up removing the entire engine guard altogether. Good riddance! ...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pravint (Post 3975696)
I've scraped my engine guard too many times on rural roads and some nonsense off roading. My engine guard has too many scrapes/scratches on it but it never came off and doing its job as expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shivs2003 (Post 3975743)
.. Its a heavy duty plastic with a sheet of aluminium in the center portion which comes right under the engine. And yes, there have many moments when big stones have hit the guard, and its held up just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3976166)
...... This so called guard is low hanging and is usually the first thing that scrapes. Now that I have got rid of it, my car has not scraped anywhere for quite some time now. Also, when you'll inspect it upon removal, you will realize that it is thin and extremely flimsy. .... It is as useful as scuba gear on a golf course.

Exactly. It is useless.

The purpose of the plastic sheet below with the aluminium in the center portion is NOT to protect the engine sump from hits from heavy objects like boulders.

It is actually the engine bay splash protector and its purpose is to prevent/block debris and water and other foreign objects from entering the engine bay. Removing this part is not be a good idea and could result in expensive repairs later on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 3976166)
Its a Minda horn. It is mounted at the stock location behind the right fog lamp. Note that the space there is very limited and you cannot install bigger units like the VW style windtone horns. For that, you will have to mount them inside the engine bay(very loud inside the cabin) or in front of the condenser/radiator(potential cooling issues)

Is this replacement a DIY or we need to get it done by ASS or the outside accessories guy ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_doctor (Post 3966425)
Ive owned Honda cars for 15 years now and not a single one gave me any trouble, the most recent one being the Honda Jazz which is in its 6th year now.

As fellow members have pointed out, the issue is with the new generation of cars. My cousin's 8 year old City ZX still feels solid while I don't know if I will be able to say the same of my City after another 2 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shailK (Post 3972089)
maybe an attempt to fleece

Definitely check it... apparently this is the latest way to scam unsuspecting customers across dealerships.

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorlover (Post 3974147)
Any pointers on whether the pdf version of user's manual for the latest gen Honda City is available for download somewhere?

No. But if you find, please share the link!

Quote:

3. Engine guard locks came off, causing the engine guard to sink.
5. Low AC cooling just before the 30k service.

3. Welcome to the club! ASC wanted to charge me 2k for replacing all the clips. Got it done at FNG for 200 bucks!
5. AC is less effective compared to my Dzire as well! But the expense is making my raise my eyebrows.

Quote:

What really riles me up however, is the apathetic attitude of Honda itself. They have a customer care email team, who's KPI, it seems, is to defend the incompetence of their dealers. No matter what issue you raise, they will just defend their service center, and ultimately you end up the loser.

Agreed - it's like a total waste of time even trying to have a conversation with them. What is working for me is knowing a couple of senior names at the ASC. So just throwing some names around helps me :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 3975337)
The Insurance I have is Honda Assure and within that it is ICICI Lombard. It is a Zero Depreciation Insurance.

First of all, thankfully all is well with the passengers. On the insurance, they have to pay entire amount after the compulsory deductible which as fellow members mentioned is ~1k. They will try and wash their hands off your claim, but be relentless and document everything at every step. Go to the website and get email addresses of everyone important (e.g. heads, ombudsman etc) and start marking them in your emails. I had a similar issue with a medical claim recently which was refused for some random reason and I was able to get it out with relentless follow up (which requires a hell lot of patience) and proper documentation. Good luck!