Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 10:15   #4921
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I echo your sentiment. I have a 2009 City and finding a suitable upgrade is a huge issue! The new City doesn't feel like a substantial upgrade (mechanically same as my car) and cars like the Corolla/Jetta are out of my budget.

Hope they address all the build quality issues in the upcoming City facelift, and it might just find a place in my garage!
The quality in the BR-V and the Amaze face-lift is encouraging, and bodes well for the City face-lift. But would it be enough? I just don't know! Fingers crossed! I wouldn't mind paying a premium, if they just built it properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Indeed!
I agree that the current City would be a downgrade from your Angela. Don't even consider the current City. Your model was the best in build and material quality, current gen is the worst.

They can fix niggles, I think most of those are already fixed. But I don't think there would be a huge leap in quality front in the City facelift. If the Civic is launched, what say?
I am also hoping for great stuff with the City face-lift! The civic might just be out of my budget, but it might be possible. I think I should also wait for Tata's Manza replacement, atleast see what it is like. I think I can afford to wait as Angela is keeping me happy. All eyes on the city face-lift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey esoticoreventon, I really don't have the expertise like some of the gurus on our forum to advise you on a replacement for your Honda, but here are my suggestions:

- City ZX is renowned to be a niggle free and comfortable car to a large extent, and much of that is attributed to it being a Honda. The only other manufacturers you can bet your buck on with a similar hassle free reputation is the Korean giant Hyundai and the Japanese market leader Maruti.

- Considering the fact that the current Honda City/Maruti Ciaz/Hyundai Verna 'May Not Be' an upgrade, you must really consider cars from the next segment.

- Neither Honda nor Maruti have one in this segment, unless you may be interested with the S-Cross DDiS 320 (which is a blast all the way).

So the way I see it, you must really consider Hyundai Elantra 1.6 CRDi

This 1.6 CRDi is powerful, frugal and reliable. The car as a whole is an awesome offering and backed my Hyundai A.S.S is just a bonus.

I believe it is due for a facelift soon, so if you are not too keen on that update, you may as well get some good discounts.
I cannot have a Hyundai or Suzuki for religious reasons.

And about Hyundai being hassle free, it is way off the truth! My uncle's i10 is higher on maintenance than my city and the service is very iffy! I wouldn't have a diesel in a sedan! I will go for a diesel only in case I end up buying an SUV or an MUV. I am looking at the Tata Hexa as well! I am willing to play the waiting game and see what the manufacturers bring!
Old 9th July 2016, 11:43   #4922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
The iDSI engine was only for the people who wanted the fuel efficient option. For those who wanted fun, the VTEC was always an option. And mine is a VTEC. Having driven all the cities till date, I will vouch that the ZX VTEC feels faster than any other cities, mainly because it isn't that heavy! Looks are subjective, so what you might not like, others might! I didn't like the 3rd gen city, and I still maintain that the first gen was the best looking of the lot!

I understand that, of all cars in the segment, the city is the least compromise one has to make, but if you have the buy a car for that reason, that isn't a good thing! I, for one, couldn't live knowing I have made compromises when I put my hard earned money on something! When the ZX came out, it was the best. Period. There was no other car that could hold a candle to the ZX in any aspect. And with the new car, I expect the same. my car is 10 years old, and to this day there has been no faults, literally none.
Dear esoticoreventon,
+1 to the ZX VTEC.
I had one for 9 years 2006 to 2015. Just loved it.
It never gave me any issues which I could call 'unfair'!

Actually, I found the latest City and Jazz (automatics) to be just a 'breeze' to drive. After a lot of thinking and debate chose the Jazz. Everybody told me that it was a downgrade from the City. It is definitely smaller with a smaller engine, but it does not feel like a downgrade to me. With 10,000+ km under the belt, it is still going strong.

Just my two bits: if you like it - then go for it!

Girish Mahajan
Old 9th July 2016, 12:31   #4923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will vouch that the ZX VTEC feels faster than any other cities, mainly because it isn't that heavy!
ZX VTec was 1200kg heavy and with 100bhp on tap, it had a power to weight ratio of 83.3 bhp/ton.

The new 4th generation City is 1065kg, and with 117bhp on tap- it is way superior in the power to weight ratio of 110 bhp/ton. In fact, this 4th generation is the most powerful iteration of the City - the earlier being the first generation with 108 bhp/ton.

As per overdrive
1st generation 0-100 = 9.8 sec.
2nd generation 0-100 = 11.3 sec. (VTEC)
3rd generation 0-100 = 11.5 sec.

And the fourth generation as per Autocar
4th generation 0-100 = 10.13 sec.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th July 2016 at 12:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 16:08   #4924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I echo your sentiment. I have a 2009 City and finding a suitable upgrade is a huge issue! The new City doesn't feel like a substantial upgrade (mechanically same as my car) and cars like the Corolla/Jetta are out of my budget.

Hope they address all the build quality issues in the upcoming City facelift, and it might just find a place in my garage!
Quote:
A year since I was in the market for a new car, and I still haven't even decided the kind of car I want! Naturally, as a City ZX owner, I should be going for the New City, but with all the quality concerns, I do not want to end up with a downgrade from my current car! D
If you are not in rush and can postpone your purchase decision till next 1-2 years then I strongly suggest waiting for the all new next gen City instead of the facelift to the current model which will find its way in the market in about 6 months of time.

An all new gen car will have all sorts of improvements in terms of completely new looks, better engine option and the feel of owning an all new generation.

Upcoming facelift will get a 6 speed gearbox with some touch ups in exterior departments - lights, grills etc.

3rd gen and 4th gen City are completely identical. Hold on to your cars and wait till 5th gen.

So I am waiting as well
Old 10th July 2016, 14:21   #4925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If you are not in rush and can postpone your purchase decision till next 1-2 years then I strongly suggest waiting for the all new next gen City instead of the facelift to the current model which will find its way in the market in about 6 months of time.
Going with Honda's 5 year time frame of an all new City, it won't launch before 2019 considering the existing one launched in 2014 and they are launching the face lift exactly 2.5 years down the line. Waiting that much might be well... too much!
Old 12th July 2016, 19:35   #4926
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I have never seen the blue sign light up. Infact, I used my iPhone's torch to scan the light cut-outs in the cluster, but couldn't find any separate cut-out for the cold engine icon. I could only find the overheating icon (see the icon in the yellow box, in the attached picture).

The car is always parked in the basement and I still didn't observe any cold engine light when I started the car after 48 hours. The picture was clicked instantly after pressing the start button when all the icons light up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan.g View Post
I see the blue sign everyday morning when I ignite, even in the summers (well most of the time). And I think there is only one cut out for both heat and cold (I might be wrong). Either way, it is better to get that checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Its the same [red] one that lit up blue in cold start.

I do get blue lit up every morning since day 1. I checked up with the sales/service guys the 2nd day itself and they said "no action needed unless it turns red and if it turns red, the car needs to switched off for about 30 mins or so".

Prem.
I have never seen a blue light on mine either... Does it mean the engine is at optimum temp and not cold?

Last edited by oss : 12th July 2016 at 19:37.
Old 12th July 2016, 19:54   #4927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I have never seen a blue light on mine either... Does it mean the engine is at optimum temp and not cold?
May be, because I am in Bangalore
I would be in Chennai for few days in next couple of weeks. I will watch out for this.

Prem.
Old 12th July 2016, 23:35   #4928
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
May be, because I am in Bangalore
I would be in Chennai for few days in next couple of weeks. I will watch out for this.

Prem.
It's by design, and covered in the manual. There is a problem only if it remains blue even after the coolant has reached operating temperature. I guess that's around 100C for most automobile engines.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 14:58   #4929
BHPian

My 2009 Honda City S MT developed a leak in the roof ~10 days ago. On sending it to Arya Honda in BKC, they came back with the below photos of the rust around the windscreen as the primary cause of the leak.
Arya Honda is quoting ~63k to replace the cowl panel below and repair by welding a new metal strip on the roof. This will involve taking down both front and rear glasses and repainting the roof and entire front of the car.

Additionally, they are also offering a ~40k package to strip the car down to bare metal and then doing an anti-rust treatment and repainting the car (including removal of the various panel dents etc).

Questions:

1. How rampant is the rust, roof leakage, leakage in footwell in Honda City?
2. Has anybody had Honda strip down their City to metal and repainted?
3. Does the car fit back together again? I.e. How much rattles and squeaks are there in a refitted Honda City?
4. Given ~7 year old car, does it make sense to do a strip down and repaint? (expect to keep the car another 3-4 years).
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-26cbbcc052246c6770e466209d34e0f9.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-36d986e245ac1cb6af2754a0c345da17.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-dfd623a308db0c5977de140097c5120a.jpg  

varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:48   #4930
BHPian

Hey guys!
We booked a new Honda City VMT, awaiting delivery on 5th August.
Now the car is May 2016 manufactured which is not the issue.
But it comes with MRF rubber, which I have absolutely refused to accept. Instead I've asked for Michelin, Bridgestone or Good Year as preference. Now the sales guy has said he has put up a request to change it but he can't guarantee anything and he also says MRF is better for Indian conditions.
I need some inputs from BHPians currently running on stock 175 section MRF, Bridgestone, Good Year and Michelin.
Thank you.
Old 19th July 2016, 07:04   #4931
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Questions:

1. How rampant is the rust, roof leakage, leakage in footwell in Honda City?
2. Has anybody had Honda strip down their City to metal and repainted?
3. Does the car fit back together again? I.e. How much rattles and squeaks are there in a refitted Honda City?
4. Given ~7 year old car, does it make sense to do a strip down and repaint? (expect to keep the car another 3-4 years).
Which city do you live in? Also do you park your car exposed to the elements? These could play a role in rust formation.

I had the same rust problem in my Swift when it was 8 years old. In fact the windshield even cracked because of the rust in the area below the windshield. I don't remember how much it cost to get the area welded and windscreen replaced, but it was in the ballpark of 15k. In your case since you are not replacing the windshield the quote of 63K sounds astronomical and you should get an independent quote from someone else.

I also don't see a reason to strip and repaint the car in just 7 years. Cars should hold longer than that even in coastal cities.

Please take a second opinion
Old 19th July 2016, 07:13   #4932
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hey guys!
We booked a new Honda City VMT, awaiting delivery on 5th August.
Now the car is May 2016 manufactured which is not the issue.
But it comes with MRF rubber, which I have absolutely refused to accept. Instead I've asked for Michelin, Bridgestone or Good Year as preference. Now the sales guy has said he has put up a request to change it but he can't guarantee anything and he also says MRF is better for Indian conditions.
I need some inputs from BHPians currently running on stock 175 section MRF, Bridgestone, Good Year and Michelin.
Thank you.
I have a city on stock MRFs. I had a disappointment when I did the PDI of my car and found that it had MRFs. The dealer refused to change tyres to Michelin.

In my usage over last 1.5 years the MRFs have really surprised me. They have held well and behaviour under braking is quite good as well. I have had no punctures and the tyres held well when I was forced off a ghat road by a bus. The car however doesn't feel very sure footed in general and I am not sure if this is due to the tyres or if I have been spoiled by the handling of the first gen Swift which was my earlier ride (my Swift had Michelin XM1+).

IMO you can live with the MRFs though you can consider yourself lucky if you get the Michelin.
Old 19th July 2016, 08:53   #4933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I have a city on stock MRFs. I had a disappointment when I did the PDI of my car and found that it had MRFs. The dealer refused to change tyres to Michelin.

In my usage over last 1.5 years the MRFs have really surprised me. They have held well and behaviour under braking is quite good as well. I have had no punctures and the tyres held well when I was forced off a ghat road by a bus. The car however doesn't feel very sure footed in general and I am not sure if this is due to the tyres or if I have been spoiled by the handling of the first gen Swift which was my earlier ride (my Swift had Michelin XM1+).

IMO you can live with the MRFs though you can consider yourself lucky if you get the Michelin.
Well this is the first time someone has said something good about the MRFs. They are usually known for their rough ride because of the harder compound used but they wear slower than the Michelin's which have softer compound.
Yes I would be lucky if I got the Michelin, or atleast the Bridgestone ones.
Old 19th July 2016, 10:06   #4934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I have a city on stock MRFs. They have held well and behaviour under braking is quite good as well. I have had no punctures and the tyres held well when I was forced off a ghat road by a bus. The car however doesn't feel very sure footed in general and I am not sure if this is due to the tyres or if I have been spoiled by the handling of the first gen Swift which was my earlier ride (my Swift had Michelin XM1+).

Those MRFs are the worst tyres mate. Be it noise, ride or handling, everywhere they are the worts. Onlyif you change to Michelins or Yokos, you would notice the difference.
Swift's handling characterstics are better than the City. Even with same tyres, City can't handle like a Swift. I would say change to Yoko Earth 1 or Michelin XM2 (slightly thicker sidewalls, good for Indian road conditions) the day you get yout car delivered. I did this kind of exchange, paying just ₹6000.
Old 20th July 2016, 18:50   #4935
BHPian

Hey guys I am looking to buy a used Honda City (2010-2012) model. My usage won't be more than 1200-1500 kms per month and that includes one or two trips to Delhi/NCR from my hometown (Moradabad) which is around 175 kms one way. I have some questions and queries which I am putting up here and waiting for some quick responses and especially from actual Honda city owners.
1. What would be a good price if I get one with 40-50K kms on ODO?
2. What is the city and highway mileage?
3. Any major niggles I should worry about and be prepared for?
4. Please advise how is the ride quality and is it comfortable on long drives?
5. Is it a high maintenance car, will it be heay on my pocket?
6. Will I have to spend a lot on the car since it will be 40-50k on the ODO? Like engine/suspension etc.

Most Viewed