Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-330.html)

Hey guys I am looking to buy a used Honda City (2010-2012) model. My usage won't be more than 1200-1500 kms per month and that includes one or two trips to Delhi/NCR from my hometown (Moradabad) which is around 175 kms one way. I have some questions and queries which I am putting up here and waiting for some quick responses and especially from actual Honda city owners.
1. What would be a good price if I get one with 40-50K kms on ODO?
2. What is the city and highway mileage?
3. Any major niggles I should worry about and be prepared for?
4. Please advise how is the ride quality and is it comfortable on long drives?
5. Is it a high maintenance car, will it be heavy on my pocket?
6. Will I have to spend a lot on the car since it will be 40-50k on the ODO? Like engine/suspension etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh09 (Post 4019124)
1. What would be a good price if I get one with 40-50K kms on ODO?
2. What is the city and highway mileage?
3. Any major niggles I should worry about and be prepared for?
4. Please advise how is the ride quality and is it comfortable on long drives?
5. Is it a high maintenance car, will it be heay on my pocket?
6. Will I have to spend a lot on the car since it will be 40-50k on the ODO? Like engine/suspension etc.

1) Not sure what is the pricing like in your place, suggest you visit a couple of used car showrooms as a prospective 'seller' of a 2010 City and ask what price you can expect for it - that would give you an idea of how much a used City would cost you to buy.
2) I consistently get 12-14 in the City and highways have been a pleasure to drive with mileage of around 17-19.
3) I have run my car for 74K troublefree KMs in the last 6 years. Ground Clearance is the only issue.
4) Yes ride quality on highways is excellent, its the City use that is dreadful due to the ground clearance and abundance of bad roads / speed breakers in Bangalore.
5) Not at all. I have an average service bill of 2K
6) I guess you only would have to worry about the tyres as 40-50K means they would be at the end of their life (even 30K for a 6 yrs old car, means the age would mean they have hardened and you are better off replacing the entire set of 5 tyres). If the car has been well-maintained, you may not have to spend much.

Cheers
Uday

Drove back 70 kms after the 2nd paid service today. Got a mileage of 17.4 kmpl. Its quite surprising becaise I never got a reading over 16 kmpl. Is it because of the engine oil change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviator1101 (Post 4019214)
Drove back 70 kms after the 2nd paid service today. Got a mileage of 17.4 kmpl. Its quite surprising becaise I never got a reading over 16 kmpl. Is it because of the engine oil change?

Oil Change would only affect minutely. Driving Style Affects the mileage a lot and so does terrain.

I have had a Mileage of 19.6 over 180 Kms being shown on MID while driving downhill like slopes consistently between 70-90 Kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 4019390)
Oil Change would only affect minutely. Driving Style Affects the mileage a lot and so does terrain.

I have had a Mileage of 19.6 over 180 Kms being shown on MID while driving downhill like slopes consistently between 70-90 Kmph.

Your's is an IVTEC or IDTEC? Never imagined the petrol could give such a mileage :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviator1101 (Post 4019819)

Your's is an IVTEC or IDTEC? Never imagined the petrol could give such a mileage

He owns a i-VTEC. One must be gentle on the accelerator pedal to extract maximum fuel efficiency.

Treat the pedal like there is a egg placed between your foot and the pedal. You'll get good FE consistently if keeping other factors like tyre pressure, good quality fuel, timely servicing in control.

Are the City's outside rear view mirrors India-friendly? Didn't have the guts to check them out on my own vehicle

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviator1101 (Post 4019827)
Are the City's outside rear view mirrors India-friendly? Didn't have the guts to check them out on my own vehicle

Yes they are. But be careful, cause they cost a fortune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 4019838)
Yes they are. But be careful, cause they cost a fortune.

Rs. 5500 to be precise.

Had an unfortunate event where I had to replace the whole Outside Rear view mirror.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4019824)
He owns a i-VTEC. One must be gentle on the accelerator pedal to extract maximum fuel efficiency.

Treat the pedal like there is a egg placed between your foot and the pedal. You'll get good FE consistently if keeping other factors like tyre pressure, good quality fuel, timely servicing in control.

OMG, I pretty much do the opposite thing, shift down and mash the accelerator as soon as I get an open stretch of road which is pretty rare in Mumbai, haha. stupid: I don't do it for small gaps though, so i don't get into panic braking situations. My daily usage isn't all that heavy and you live only once so I figure what the heck. I mean, that's what I bought this car for, the vtec engine and acceleration. I've lost count of the number of times I redline it in 1st and 2nd gears. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 4019390)
...

I have had a Mileage of 19.6 over 180 Kms being shown on MID while driving downhill like slopes consistently between 70-90 Kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviator1101 (Post 4019819)
Your's is an IVTEC or IDTEC? Never imagined the petrol could give such a mileage :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4019824)
... One must be gentle on the accelerator pedal to extract maximum fuel efficiency.

Treat the pedal like there is a egg placed between your foot and the pedal. You'll get good FE consistently if keeping other factors like tyre pressure, good quality fuel, timely servicing in control.


Do the same on the i-DTEC Diesel under similar conditions and the MID average efficiency effortlessly reaches 30kmpl :) (with load and AC), much more than what Honda advertises as the ARAI efficiency for the Diesel.

You can maintain the same average for as long as you want before practicality (need for right speed and right use of time) hits you and you're back to 22.5 kmpl at speeds between 90 to 100kmph, a sane speed for our highway conditions. The average efficiency further drops to 20.4kmpl average at 110 to 120 kmph.

So on undivided clear highways, I often end up getting phenomenal efficiency as the speed hovers around 70+kpmh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 4020038)
OMG, I pretty much do the opposite thing, shift down and mash the accelerator as soon as I get an open stretch of road which is pretty rare in Mumbai, haha. stupid: I don't do it for small gaps though, so i don't get into panic braking situations. My daily usage isn't all that heavy and you live only once so I figure what the heck. I mean, that's what I bought this car for, the vtec engine and acceleration. I've lost count of the number of times I redline it in 1st and 2nd gears. :)

You are doing it right sir. Finally somebody talking sense here. I don't know what is with people getting crazy over FE. Be it 12 or 15, who cares as long as you enjoy your ride. First spend 12-13 Lakh rupees and then use a light foot to save ₹500 per month! Hillarious!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviator1101 (Post 4019214)
Drove back 70 kms after the 2nd paid service today. Got a mileage of 17.4 kmpl. Its quite surprising becaise I never got a reading over 16 kmpl. Is it because of the engine oil change?

It would be mainly due to the air filter (either being cleaned or replaced with new one). Clean air filter matters a lot for extracting the best out of the engine, be it power or efficiency.

My 2012 Honda City iVTEC used to give me 12-13kmpl without fail. Now after changing my driving style (sedate) it easily gives me 14-16kmpl in the city. The MID and the engine is super sensitive to the use of throttle. Keeping the throttle constant for longer period, say within 2000-2500 rpm results in high mileage. Over speedometer it tuns out to be within 60-80kmph. The maximum I have churned out from the iVTEC is 22kmpl on Bhubaneswar-Vizag highway. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 4020038)
OMG, I pretty much do the opposite thing, shift down and mash the accelerator as soon as I get an open stretch of road which is pretty rare in Mumbai, haha. stupid: I don't do it for small gaps though, so i don't get into panic braking situations. My daily usage isn't all that heavy and you live only once so I figure what the heck. I mean, that's what I bought this car for, the vtec engine and acceleration. I've lost count of the number of times I redline it in 1st and 2nd gears. :)

I totally agree with you sir. Few days back I had posted that I dont find the pickup to be very good. After some research I realised I wasn't pushing the car enough ( the midrange for vtec is kinda weak maybe between 2000-3000 rpm ). After that it was a totally different experience. Once it is past 4500 rpm, it can grow you a beard. lol:

Now, I am addicted to the engine note and that sudden surge. I am constantly on the lookout for long open stretches.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:57.