Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 08:15   #5086
BHPian

I have Honda City SV CVT bought is March 2014. Since few days I've noticed that when I turn my key for ignition it takes 2-3 tries before the engine starts. Just to clarify, the ignition system responds when I turn key but it doesn't start immediately. This happens not just in morning but whenever I try to start the car. Could it be the battery? I'm not sure the warranty on the battery and couldn't find any warranty card given when purchasing the vehicle.
Old 30th September 2016, 09:16   #5087
BHPian

Neel911 is it that are you having to turn and hold the key in that position before the car starts? I have VX CVT of Feb-14 but I haven't experienced this though I've a push button start. How bright are your headlights if you were to turn them on without starting the engine?
Old 30th September 2016, 13:59   #5088

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

guys how does the dual horn work? mine seems to have only one.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:45   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Neel911 is it that are you having to turn and hold the key in that position before the car starts? I have VX CVT of Feb-14 but I haven't experienced this though I've a push button start. How bright are your headlights if you were to turn them on without starting the engine?
Thanks for asking. That is correct. I need to hold the key in that position before the car starts.
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:26   #5090
BHPian

Dear All

Good to be back at TBHP after a long time . Hope all of you are doing great and your vehicles as well. I have seen the accident pics of 'Srivatsa' and glad to read that all were safe.

My car (VX CVT) is going really good. Yet to change my tyres (Stock Goodyear GT3). The ODO is at 27,000 kms. Still has life on it.

I did a few extra things on my car. Installed 'Rogerab' about 8 months back and the ride has considerably changed. The jerking and thud sounds filtering into cabins on potholes has seen a decrease. I had 2 places where the front engine guard or an adjoining would slightly scratch with the ground. That is not happening now. Seems there is an increase in ground clearance after installing these. The grip through tight corners at speeds of 60km/h though improved is probably let down by the slim stock tyres. Need to change the tyres may be at 32K and monitor the difference.

During the service done in May'16 changed my engine oil to the synthetic genuine Honda (Idemitsu 0W-30) oil. The ride is now noticeably smoother with refinement also greatly improved (was good before as well) especially on the S mode.

There is an FE difference as well. City mileage on the worst bumper to bumper now stands at 10 (this was 6.9 to 9 before) as per the MID. Highway FE increased slightly to 20.7 compared to the earlier highest of 20.5 again as per MID. The overall FE on daily drive (50%c city traffic and 50% highway) also increased and stands at 12+ to 15 kms/l regularly. The Trivandrum byepass stretch now being four-laned also may have contributed to this increase. However, even with 4 lane there are lots of blockades in the drive. What is astonishing is that for me always the MID values are exact to +/- 0.2 kms of difference from the manual calculation.

Future plans are to get installed an Android Auto/Apple Car Play system installed. If anybody has installed, please provide your feedback. Also, if anybody has installed an Auto Dimming rear view mirror, please let me know the details of that too.

Apart from a slight sound coming from the left side of the front roof caused by the parts of the sunroof area (which was fixed), there are no cabin rattles yet.

The car still is exciting for me to drive everyday and I am very happy that I made the right decision.
adarsh76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:39   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I have Honda City SV CVT bought is March 2014. Since few days I've noticed that when I turn my key for ignition it takes 2-3 tries before the engine starts. Just to clarify, the ignition system responds when I turn key but it doesn't start immediately. This happens not just in morning but whenever I try to start the car. Could it be the battery? I'm not sure the warranty on the battery and couldn't find any warranty card given when purchasing the vehicle.
A definitive sign of the battery showing its age. Would advise you to get a battery test done at the service center. They will check the specific gravity of the battery and its ability to hold charge and advice replacement.

Having said that, 2.5 years is a low life for an OEM battery, they typically last a full 3.5-4 years.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:03   #5092
BHPian

Hey Everyone. It's been a long time since I posted on the forum; although i have been a silent reader here and there.
Congratulations to all the City owners on the forum till date.

Anyways, My City i-VTEC (Feb 2014 manufactured, Manual) has crossed 72k recently, and apart from regular services, and a few minor body work repairs (2016 hasn't been a kind year for me), my car is going strong. I usually service my car between 7000kms-9000kms (instead of Honda recommended 10,000kms)

The following events are worth noting so far:

1. Tires: From Stock 175/65 R15 Goodyear GT3s to 195/60 R15 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 at approx 31k on the ODO (only 4 tires). I did this in 2015 June, before moonson had started, as the goodyears didnt have sufficient grip in rain and on roads with loose sand. The new tires were great for the first 30K kms, then road noise had increased and now after 40k the levels of grip had decreased. Total punctures so far: ONE Always did alignment every 2500kms or so, tires were always filled with nitrogen; and before any long journey, Balancing, rotation, and alignment were done. Currently, all fours tires have uneven wear, so i am assuming that the placw where I get alignment done isn't a good place. Currently in plans to change tires to Michillin XM2s 195/60 R15 or 205/60 R15 (BHPian Shreyas_Jain had changed his shoes to Michillin XM2 205/60 R15) after 75K kms on the ODO.

2. Battery: Battery (Amaron make) went flat around 56K kms. I had a night duty and the next day morning, the car wouldn't start at all. What's worse, my car is the fully loaded VX trim with keyless entry; you couldn't start by pushing the car or anything. and I couldn't get to jump start the car either (Early morning 5AM). Changed the battery to an another Amaron with 48 months waranty (2 years waranty + 2 years garantee)

3. Right ORVM: I had an unfortunate incident where my Right OVRM was damaged and the closing-folding and opening-unfolding mechanism was damaged, and the motor kept on wineing while the rest of the functions of the mirror were intact (mirror adjustment mechanism&side indicator light). I had gotten the OVRM replaced, and what happened is that, now the Right side OVRM mirror closes and opens more quieter than the left ORVM (not Hyundai i20, verna, etc silent). It seems Honda is taking its feedback seriously.

4. Engine guard: The engine guard, whenever it touches any elevated object, has a tendancy to come down; and sometimes, fall off. My engine guard, due to the numerus times it had fallen down, had gotten a little bent/deformed. It had to be changed. The part was changed in Nov 2015, and the newer part comes with a metal plate somewhere in the center, making about 30% of the engine guard. It's more stronger and durable too; but it does come down, just not as quickly as the previous version.

5. Recently around 71k (when I had done 80k service, according to Honda's books) when I got my car serviced, the service advisor had told me that the Left side driveshaft boot and Left side Tie-rod boot were damaged and leaking. They have told me to keep driving untill the part is fully worn out. Any recommendations from Team-BHPians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
I did a few extra things on my car. Installed 'Rogerab' about 8 months back and the ride has considerably changed. The jerking and thud sounds filtering into cabins on potholes has seen a decrease. I had 2 places where the front engine guard or an adjoining would slightly scratch with the ground. That is not happening now. Seems there is an increase in ground clearance after installing these. The grip through tight corners at speeds of 60km/h though improved is probably let down by the slim stock tyres. Need to change the tyres may be at 32K and monitor the difference.
Hello adarsh76. Could I know the aproximate cost of the rogerab and whether you had installed it for all four shocks or just two of them (and on which one)? I am thinking myself to install these.
themonster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 19:12   #5093
BHPian

Just completed one year with my Honda City VMT Diesel. Completed 4th Service (1 Year, 20k Service). However, ODO stands at 15.5k currently. So far, no niggles with the car except bit noisy engine. I had to make two claims with insurance due to two unfortunate incidents. Apart from these, I am very happy with the car.

It returns astonishing mileage in high way drives. I make Bangalore to Coimbatore trips at least twice a month and the car usually returns around 27 KMPL in BLR to CBE leg and around 23 KMPL CBE to BLR leg. I usually drive with light foot with speedo hovering around 100 KMPH and very rarely use Cruise Control. IMO, Cruise control is not fuel efficient as it slows down the car's momentum in declines and burns more fuel in inclines to match the set speed.

In my last trip to Coimbatore, immediately after my 4th service, I got unbelievable mileage of 31 KMPL over 300 KMs distance. I know that City's system is bit enthusiastic with the mileage figures and overstates it bit. Still, it's very good mileage.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5046.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_5047.jpg

I usually fill diesel full tank with auto-cut off to calculate actual FE. My City has given 23 - 24 KMPL figures consistently. My usage is mainly highways with only about 150 KMs per month in Bangalore's B2B traffic.

Upgrades:
  • Upgraded my stock Bridgestone B250 - 175/65R15 tires to Michelin Energy XM2 - 195/60R15 immediately after taking delivery.
  • 3M Underbody coating.
  • 3M CR70 sunfilm all over including windshields.
  • 3M Mats.
samy1117 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 19:44   #5094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Hello adarsh76. Could I know the aproximate cost of the rogerab and whether you had installed it for all four shocks or just two of them (and on which one)? I am thinking myself to install these.
Hello themonster,

You can purchase in two different ways. Either from www.rogermotors.com or find a dealer nearby who is authorized by Roger Motors. The advantage of buying from a dealer is that you may be able to negotiate the prices. You can get the dealer information through the online chat system of Roger website or can make a call to them.

I did it at a Roger Motors authorized tyre dealer and service center nearby for about 6000/-. Sorry, I forgot the exact rate. Need to check that. I installed it on all 4 springs. The rear shock has a smaller material than the front ones since the rear springs are smaller.

After installation, you can return the product and get your refund if you are not satisfied, within 2 weeks time. I was satisfied so never bothered to return
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 09:03   #5095
BHPian

Guys, I think I'll be booking my City VX petrol version today. Yet to decide CVT or manual. Can someone tell me what mileage I can expect from sedate city office hours driving?
Old 5th October 2016, 09:19   #5096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Guys, I think I'll be booking my City VX petrol version today. Yet to decide CVT or manual. Can someone tell me what mileage I can expect from sedate city office hours driving?
FYI - Honda website has offers updated for Petrol City https://www.hondacarindia.com/offers/

Petrol
*On 2016 year Model of Petrol (E,S,SV CVT,VX CVT Variants)
: Honda Assure at Re.1/- or discount in lieu thereof
*On 2016 year Model of Petrol (SV,V,VX,VX(O) MT Variants)
: Honda Assure at Re. 1/- + Cash Benefit of Rs.15,000/-

Mileage should be 12-13 in city. Other owners can update more.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 12:27   #5097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Get the battery checked and recharged. I had a similar issue which seems to have been rectified during the last service ( the SA mentioned they've recharged the battery ).
Old 5th October 2016, 20:37   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
1. Tires: From Stock 175/65 R15 Goodyear GT3s to 195/60 R15 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 at approx 31k on the ODO (only 4 tires). I did this in 2015 June, before moonson had started, as the goodyears didnt have sufficient grip in rain and on roads with loose sand. The new tires were great for the first 30K kms, then road noise had increased and now after 40k the levels of grip had decreased. Total punctures so far: ONE Always did alignment every 2500kms or so, tires were always filled with nitrogen; and before any long journey, Balancing, rotation, and alignment were done. Currently, all fours tires have uneven wear, so i am assuming that the placw where I get alignment done isn't a good place. Currently in plans to change tires to Michillin XM2s 195/60 R15 or 205/60 R15 (BHPian Shreyas_Jain had changed his shoes to Michillin XM2 205/60 R15) after 75K kms on the ODO.
Are you not considering the Michelin P3ST? If not, any particular reason?

My mind is already set to change to P3ST at 32K or earlier depending on the tyre performance. XM2 is said to be a high mileage tyre but is said to have more road noise and less performance than than the P3ST.

I have been researching a lot over the Internet on the tyre tests. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is said to be the best as per AutoExpress UK reviews but unfortunately do not have the 195/60 R15 sizes nor does the other tyres in the test conducted. If you wanna have a look below is the link:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...car-tyres-2016

Last edited by adarsh76 : 5th October 2016 at 20:39.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 22:57   #5099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
FYI - Honda website has offers updated for Petrol City https://www.hondacarindia.com/offers/

Petrol

*On 2016 year Model of Petrol (E,S,SV CVT,VX CVT Variants)

: Honda Assure at Re.1/- or discount in lieu thereof

*On 2016 year Model of Petrol (SV,V,VX,VX(O) MT Variants)

: Honda Assure at Re. 1/- + Cash Benefit of Rs.15,000/-

Mileage should be 12-13 in city. Other owners can update more.

The cash discount offers appear to be on diesel models and not on petrol. Honda senior personnel had been quoted in the media earlier about their liquidating rising stock levels which had become a concern for the company. It appears their diesel model is moving slower than petrol models of late.
Old 5th October 2016, 23:38   #5100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The cash discount offers appear to be on diesel models and not on petrol. Honda senior personnel had been quoted in the media earlier about their liquidating rising stock levels which had become a concern for the company. It appears their diesel model is moving slower than petrol models of late.
It's more - for my friend, we squeezed 30k cash discount and 15k accessories for a VX manual petrol in Mumbai. This was just 3 weeks back.

Most Viewed