Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 07:42   #5101
BHPian

Sagging sales would mean their not being able to stave off competition well. A facelift should be just around the corner,apparently.
Old 6th October 2016, 09:04   #5102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Are you not considering the Michelin P3ST? If not, any particular reason?

My mind is already set to change to P3ST at 32K or earlier depending on the tyre performance. XM2 is said to be a high mileage tyre but is said to have more road noise and less performance than than the P3ST.
P3ST is an excellent tire, no doubt. But it is a bit softer than XM2, which is a more tough and hardy. XM2 is the better choice for typically rough and bumpy Indian roads.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 09:30   #5103
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
P3ST is an excellent tire, no doubt. But it is a bit softer than XM2, which is a more tough and hardy. XM2 is the better choice for typically rough and bumpy Indian roads.
Shreyans, that is a point. However, I have observed that BR-V is coming with factory fitted P3ST. For an MUV like BR-V, would softer tyres be more suitable?

Just my doubt.
Old 6th October 2016, 10:33   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Sagging sales would mean their not being able to stave off competition well. A facelift should be just around the corner,apparently.
Sagging sales? I thought CITY was still selling more than 5000 in number every month. Pretty good for a 2 year old car, no?
Old 6th October 2016, 10:39   #5105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Guys, I think I'll be booking my City VX petrol version today. Yet to decide CVT or manual. Can someone tell me what mileage I can expect from sedate city office hours driving?
Is FE the differentiating factor between choosing a manual over the AT? If the City will be your daily driver to work, the AT will do a world of good in terms of comfort and convenience in peak hour traffic.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 10:47   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Hello themonster,

You can purchase in two different ways. Either from www.rogermotors.com or find a dealer nearby who is authorized by Roger Motors.....

After installation, you can return the product and get your refund if you are not satisfied, within 2 weeks time. I was satisfied so never bothered to return
Thanks for the quick reply the other day.

Quote:
Are you not considering the Michelin P3ST? If not, any particular reason?

My mind is already set to change to P3ST at 32K or earlier depending on the tyre performance. XM2 is said to be a high mileage tyre but is said to have more road noise and less performance than than the P3ST.

I have been researching a lot over the Internet on the tyre tests. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is said to be the best as per AutoExpress UK reviews but unfortunately do not have the 195/60 R15 sizes nor does the other tyres in the test conducted. If you wanna have a look below is the link:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...car-tyres-2016
My answer is below by BHPian Shreyas_Jain; Harder compound being the main reason. I drive around a lot; and sometimes through non exsistent roads, roads under construction (which keeps those sharp roads before they start aspalting), etc; so I am under the assumption that the XM2 can go through anything. (You can correct me if I am wrong)

But other than that, my dad had recently changed tires on our Swift Dzire VDi 2010 model which has completed around 1,10,000 odd kms. For the Dzire, it totally transformed the car (car was earlier ran 2 sets of Goodyears and 1 set of Bridgestones). There is ZERO road noise and the tyres grip way better compared to previous sets. Now the Engine is the only single noisy thing in that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hello Shreyan_Jain !!
I have read somewhere in this thread that you had upsized to Michellin XM2 205/60 R15. How are the tyres holding up? Any complaints with the suspension post upsize?
Old 6th October 2016, 11:18   #5107
BHPian

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could advise me regarding the issue I am currently facing.

My car is only 8 months old and has 3,800 kms on the ODO. A couple of days ago I felt the car starting to pull a bit to the right. Thinking it to be an alignment/balancing issue, I sent my car to the store where I had bought the Yokohamas for my Passat. To my surprise, they found a bubble had formed on the right rear tyre! I am guessing this is a manufacturing defect as I don't recall hitting anything, and that too on the rear tyre.

Now, is it normal for a car to pull to one side if there is a tyre bubble? And secondly, will the dealer replace my defective tyre? Have any fellow bhp-ians faced something like this too? Thanks in advance!

PS - My tyres are the stock Bridgestones that the car came with.

Quote:
Guys, I think I'll be booking my City VX petrol version today. Yet to decide CVT or manual. Can someone tell me what mileage I can expect from sedate city office hours driving?
I drive a VX petrol with a manual transmission and my usage is 99% in city traffic with the AC running. I get a steady 9 km/l when I drive. This does improve if the car is driven on emptier and less congested roads. My typical commute to office takes about 25 mins for a distance of 5 kilometers, a lot of this time is spent idling in traffic. Hence, the not so great fuel economy.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:07   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I drive a VX petrol with a manual transmission and my usage is 99% in city traffic with the AC running. I get a steady 9 km/l when I drive. This does improve if the car is driven on emptier and less congested roads. My typical commute to office takes about 25 mins for a distance of 5 kilometers, a lot of this time is spent idling in traffic. Hence, the not so great fuel economy.
That's not encouraging though I've seen a few quoting 12Kmpl + in city traffic. I did hear them mention changing the driving style when using CVT. May be there's a trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is FE the differentiating factor between choosing a manual over the AT? If the City will be your daily driver to work, the AT will do a world of good in terms of comfort and convenience in peak hour traffic.
I have to drive 6.5 Km through bad tiny roads or 13 Km through sliiightly better but open roads. So I think either ways my mileage may get damaged but it's not a concern anymore for me since my original question because the CVT is extremely comfortable and peaceful. No amount of fuel saving can give that kind of peace to me personally.

I have a few questions for CVT owners. I know the list of features missing in the CVT between SV and VX and the ones in bold are the ones I feel I'll miss in the SV version. Just wanted to know how much of a difference/headache it'll make in everyday city driving with ocassional out of the city driving (read highways and hills) vs saving almost 2 lakhs on road and more in the loan payment. Also wanted to know how many of these can be added manually.

Paddle Shifts (On hills, slopes, multilevel parkings etc?)
Sunroof
Alloy Wheels
Turn Indicator on body instead of ORVM
Key start instead of Push start
Rear Parking Camera
Electrically Foldable ORVM
Keyless Trunk Opening
Rear Reading Light
Advanced integrated Audio with 5 Screen
CD player
Tweeters (I'm an audiophile)
1 power socket instead of 3
Fabric seats instead of Leather
Front Fog Lamp

I had already booked the CVT VX and a guilt feeling inside me was killing me for spending 15 Lakhs on a car when I have owned an i10 era for 7 years without major problems except my busted up lower back and aching left knee.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:19   #5109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had already booked the CVT VX and a guilt feeling inside me was killing me for spending 15 Lakhs on a car when I have owned an i10 era for 7 years without major problems except my busted up lower back and aching left knee.
That's your cue to get an AT then; regardless of the dip in FE.

15 lakhs for the City AT is quite the figure; why don't you look at other options. You have the Ameo, EcoSport AT (11 lakhs) or Aspire.
Old 6th October 2016, 13:44   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That's your cue to get an AT then; regardless of the dip in FE.

15 lakhs for the City AT is quite the figure; why don't you look at other options. You have the Ameo, EcoSport AT (11 lakhs) or Aspire.
I have driven the Figo/Ecosport AT and City CVT and the CVT feels so much better to me that I have decided to look only for a CVT car, be it a SV version of City CVT or Amaze CVT or Baleno CVT.
Old 6th October 2016, 14:05   #5111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post

My answer is below by BHPian Shreyas_Jain; Harder compound being the main reason. I drive around a lot; and sometimes through non exsistent roads, roads under construction (which keeps those sharp roads before they start aspalting), etc; so I am under the assumption that the XM2 can go through anything. (You can correct me if I am wrong)

Hello Shreyan_Jain !!
I have read somewhere in this thread that you had upsized to Michellin XM2 205/60 R15. How are the tyres holding up? Any complaints with the suspension post upsize?
I am very happy with XM2. My City as well as Jazz, both are running on the same 205/60R15 tires. They result in a massive improvement in stability, grip, road holding as well as aesthetic appearance. Plus, I have had no issues with punctues or sidewall bulges. Roads are a real piece of work here in Faridabad, so that is high praise from my side. Tire life seems to be pretty good too.

City got these upsized rubbers at around 35k km, and the suspension was already pretty much shot by then. I will not comment on how it affects bump absorption in the long term, but yes, there has been no accelerated wear of ball joints or arms or ends. Alignment does not get disturbed for months together.

Jazz has also run for 30k km on this set of tires. Again, the experience has been very good and I have had no issues whatsoever. The car is at close to 90000 km and is still running on the stock suspension. But the older Jazz was a very sturdy and robust car, quite unlike the current City. So it is not fair to make a direct comparison.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 14:49   #5112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had already booked the CVT VX and a guilt feeling inside me was killing me for spending 15 Lakhs on a car when I have owned an i10 era for 7 years without major problems
Good choice. Most can be done in after market easily except for keyless features, sunroof, paddles but it is a fairly long list of goodies for the difference they charge. I would consider a 15L city with all these features more VFM than a 13L one without these.

I don't know what else is available at 15L in the market but City AT would be perfect for use within city limits and can last forever. VW/Skoda cars are much better on highways.

Quote:
except my busted up lower back and aching left knee.
So why do you think City would be better? Maybe you should check other cars with this criteria, even speak to a doctor maybe.
Old 6th October 2016, 15:39   #5113
BHPian

Quote:
That's not encouraging though I've seen a few quoting 12Kmpl + in city traffic. I did hear them mention changing the driving style when using CVT. May be there's a trick.

I have to drive 6.5 Km through bad tiny roads or 13 Km through sliiightly better but open roads. So I think either ways my mileage may get damaged but it's not a concern anymore for me since my original question because the CVT is extremely comfortable and peaceful. No amount of fuel saving can give that kind of peace to me personally.
Yes driving style makes quite a bit of difference for the city Petrol. I have seen mileage vary noticeably for 2 people even on similar office commute. I easily get a shade below 16kmpl (my current reading in 15.4). But a colleague using pretty much the same route never got above 12. One possibility could be that I drive in a spirited manner initially but tend to stick to 60s and 70s for the next KM or so till the next light/junction arrives. Traffic here is relatively sparse too. Frankly 9 kmpl is unheard of.

As per guilt of spending 15 big ones, well everything in this price bracket has some things going for them and some not. It's not a bad choice if space, practicality and reliability are your main concerns. My only suggestion would be to check the alternate options if you plan to a significant amount of driving on highways.
avisidhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 15:59   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
So why do you think City would be better? Maybe you should check other cars with this criteria, even speak to a doctor maybe.
I actually thought the problem was with me and not the car as long as I was in Bangalore. Bangalore has horrible traffic but reasonably better roads than what Hyderabad currently has. Only after moving to Hyderabad and driving here and busting up my back on my i10 and then going on a 6 days road trip on a friends Tata Zest almost without any pain or tiredness, I realized it's my i10's hard suspension and anti-ergonomic seats that is my problem

I did a test drive of 6 cars back to back on the bad roads I have to use everyday and the most comfortable car considering the suspension + seating + space inside was the new Linea followed by City. I am really unsure of the future of Linea and Fiat, so the next best thing is this. I did do two 5Km test drives on the City CVT and felt realllly comfortable. Of course, I am 6 foot tall and the low seating worries me on very long drives (which I don't do much btw ). I just need to decide between SV-CVT or VX-CVT or come down one notch to Amaze CVT with a smaller engine. Confusion. Confusion.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:13   #5115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, I am 6 foot tall and the low seating worries me on very long drives (which I don't do much btw ). I just need to decide between SV-CVT or VX-CVT or come down one notch to Amaze CVT with a smaller engine. Confusion. Confusion.
Did you consider any crossover type of cars? People say SUV-ish cars are better if you have back pain.

I will keep it simple between SV vs VX. Buy the cheaper one and run it as-is. Or buy the fully loaded one. Don't buy SV and spend money to deck it up. Just my opinion. City will surely offer better ride and ergonomics than Amaze.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed