Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-349.html)

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-capture111.jpg
here is a snapshot of the service invoice. I was not present during the actual oil change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask77 (Post 4098329)
Well they claim it to be fully synthetic oil . I am attaching a photo of their pamphlet given by the SA in which Honda claims it to be fully synthetic . I hope they are not cheating us.

This was the pamphlet and the ballpark price of 1600 I was talking about earlier.

This is fully synthetic. It would be illegal to advertise Fully Synthetic and provide a semi synthetic. I don't think a company like Honda would do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4098634)
This was the pamphlet and the ballpark price of 1600 I was talking about earlier.

This is fully synthetic. It would be illegal to advertise Fully Synthetic and provide a semi synthetic. I don't think a company like Honda would do that.

The Honda India idemitsu oils are apparently made in India by Savita Chemicals (their inhouse brand is Savsol) while Shell is imported and that is one part of the cost reduction.

The other part is what API spec they use - Shell Helix Ultra is API SN/CF

Quite a few other considerations are likely as well - cost due to bulk purchase and discount passed on to some extent to customers etc.

But its definitely a lower grade of oil to be cheaper by more than 60% than fully synthetic oils available on the open market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4098688)
The Honda India idemitsu oils are apparently made in India by Savita Chemicals (their inhouse brand is Savsol) while Shell is imported and that is one part of the cost reduction.

The other part is what API spec they use - Shell Helix Ultra is API SN/CF

Quite a few other considerations are likely as well - cost due to bulk purchase and discount passed on to some extent to customers etc.

But its definitely a lower grade of oil to be cheaper by more than 60% than fully synthetic oils available on the open market.

In the Owner's manual Honda has given us a choice to use either Honda Genuine Oils or any other oils with the recommended specs.

The API and all other specifications is sure to be what Honda is recommending.

If you see the website of Mobil, the 0W-20 range of engine oils are recommended for BMW, Merc etc.

As per SA, these oils were manufactured specifically for Honda vehicles. Low cost is only due to the fact that it is made in India. But does that mean it's of a lower grade or lower quality?

Almost all products of American and European companies are now made in China or Malaysia or Indonesia. This includes the iphone as well :)

If we see the larger picture, the oil is provided by Honda regardless of who or where it is manufactured and Honda would have done enough testing as well. The concerns if any later on would be addressed by them.

I'm sorry in case I'm digging old things. Well I have a Honda City iDTECH 2014. I want to upgrade my stock high beam bulbs.
I'm confused between Philips X-treme vision plus H4 and Osram NB unlimited H4.
So I just needed some help on deciding on one of them.
First is that whether both of them are compatible with Honda City 2014?
Which ones are the better of both? Cost is immaterial.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4099715)
I'm sorry in case I'm digging old things. Well I have a Honda City iDTECH 2014. I want to upgrade my stock high beam bulbs.
I'm confused between Philips X-treme vision plus H4 and Osram NB unlimited H4.
So I just needed some help on deciding on one of them.
First is that whether both of them are compatible with Honda City 2014?
Which ones are the better of both? Cost is immaterial.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Nightbreaker Unlimited is the one to go for. Note that the high beam uses HB3 type bulbs and not H4. I've been using it for almost 3 years now. Expect only a mediocre improvement though. No magic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4099717)
Nightbreaker Unlimited is the one to go for. Note that the high beam uses HB3 type bulbs and not H4. I've been using it for almost 3 years now. Expect only a mediocre improvement though. No magic.

Thanks. I have a severe problem when I drive in the night. Do you suggest anything else? Philips Xtreme Plus?

The local dealer suggests HIDs but they are too costly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4099821)
Thanks. I have a severe problem when I drive in the night. Do you suggest anything else? Philips Xtreme Plus?

The local dealer suggests HIDs but they are too costly.

OT:
I sure hope you don't make the mistake that most Indians (well, atleast Bangaloreans) make, viz. making a habit to drive with high-beam on. Its annoying and dangerous as hell for others!

High-beam must be used *only* in fog/rain, etc conditions when visibility is very poor despite you slowing down to a speed suitable for that weather condition.

If its not foggy/rainy and yet you aren't able to see properly at some speed without high-beams, then it most likely means that you're over-speeding and you should therefore slow down, rather than using high-beam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vharihar (Post 4099833)
OT:
I sure hope you don't make the mistake that most Indians (well, atleast Bangaloreans) make, viz. making a habit to drive with high-beam on. Its annoying and dangerous as hell for others!

High-beam must be used *only* in fog/rain, etc conditions when visibility is very poor despite you slowing down to a speed suitable for that weather condition.

If its not foggy/rainy and yet you aren't able to see properly at some speed without high-beams, then it most likely means that you're over-speeding and you should therefore slow down, rather than using high-beam.

Being spectacled, I never drive at High Beam as I myself get totally blinded by high beams., I just have a requirement of having good vision in case of only highways which are poorly lit to so that I can see long enough for pedestrian and other rural traffic. Anyways thanks :thumbs up

Is Honda really planning for a Petrol Hybrid version with the 2017 version? Read the story below

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/2017-honda-...-report-706007

If the price is within 15 lakhs, that would be a shake in the segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4101208)
Is Honda really planning for a Petrol Hybrid version with the 2017 version?

Will this be similar to the Ciaz hybrid or significantly better than that? Guess will be difficult to keep cost/ price in check for a proper hybrid?

Anyways, I also read in a report on ET Auto that the new City may get 6 airbags too

Quote:

Originally Posted by epuneet (Post 4101935)
Will this be similar to the Ciaz hybrid or significantly better than that? Guess will be difficult to keep cost/ price in check for a proper hybrid?

Anyways, I also read in a report on ET Auto that the new City may get 6 airbags too

Going by the article, this seems to be a proper hybrid with a separate motor for propulsion, complete with a dedicated battery. It even has a dual clutch gearbox. Which means this being sold here is HIGHLY unlikely. It is going to be way too expensive.

The Ciaz SHVS as sold in India is a joke in the name of hybrids. It basically uses a trick alternator to take advantage of excise benefits thanks to a loophole in our poorly worded laws.

I installed a reverse camera and mirror based screen today. Here is the review.

Purchased on Amazon.com in the US by a friend and brought back to india.
Total cost - approx $42 (~₹3,000/-).

These are your regular "made-in-China" goods. The boxes don't have even so much as a brand name. Brand names are there in Amazon. These things are available much cheaper on AliExpress.com if you can figure out how to get it without customs hassles.

Reason for picking these two:
Installation - local guys were quoting ₹800-1000. I called up Cartisan and they had a fixed price of ₹650 with a guarantee of professional technicians and do-it-at-home option so I finalised that.

Process - Cartisan technicians came on time and spent an hour fixing the unit. They did a good job and ensured no cutting (of wires) was involved so that warranty is safe and in check. It took about one hour.

Results. I'm quite happy with the outcome. Attaching pictures below.

Camera attachment on bumper
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-1.jpg

Mirror LCD screen - clipped over car mirror
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-2.jpg

Reverse view - daytime
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-3.jpg

Reverse view - night
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-4.jpg

I later realised Cartisan has an option for installing a similar unit as a package and another option with sensors as well. It's been only a day now but this feels like money well spent.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4101946)
The Ciaz SHVS as sold in India is a joke in the name of hybrids. It basically uses a trick alternator to take advantage of excise benefits thanks to a loophole in our poorly worded laws.

You're right! Ciaz is what they call a "mild" hybrid, which to my mind is a word to trick the unsuspecting buyer. A real hybrid in the market is Toyota Camry. Any idea of how much the mileage on Ciaz went up by after they substituted their standard diesel engine with the SHVS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogambo (Post 4102473)
Cartisan technicians came on time and spent an hour fixing the unit. They did a good job and ensured I later realised Cartisan has an option for installing a similar unit as a package and another option with sensors as well. It's been only a day now but this feels like money well spent.

Cheers!

Hi, do you have a referral code for Cartisan that you can share?