Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-352.html)

In my pioneer (AVH x5890bt) - pin to pin integration so it is a dropin replacement for the Amaze default and rather basic deck.

It works perfectly well with my steering wheel control buttons as well - though Amaze has nothing for a phone, just for volume and channel switching.

The only thing is that USB and Aux ports had to be separately installed as the old USB cable in the Amaze is in a weird location (near the gearshift at the bottom of the dash). Still the old USB port on the Amaze is left as is and in case you sell the car you can simply wire the OEM deck back onto the Amaze, remove the Pioneer and reinstall it in your new car when you buy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4107293)
Essential driving aids missing in the SV variant.
* Auto foldable outside RV mirrors, so useful in traffic conditions.
* Map lights, very useful to the driver.
* Fog lamps, does make a difference in visibility in times of need.
* Alloy wheels, although looks like a cosmetic addon, its actually good due to the reduced unsprung weight.
* Reversing camera, the single most useful gem of a feature while reversing, makes a world of difference. The best of all driving aid features.
* OE music system in V, again significantly better than the SV, has been designed well, well integrated, with good voice telephony and A2DP bluetooth steaming. The voice telephony and the mic positioning has been added like an afterthought in the SV and this I've observed is a major grouse among SV variant owners.

I had got Honda OE Fog Lamps fitted and upgraded the tyres to Yoko Earth1 195/60 R15. I am not a huge fan of alloy wheels for various reasons and experiences. So the points you mentioned do not count on these fronts.

Coming to Auto-folding mirrors, they are useful only when you drive through congested city roads and I did not have any experience in my 30K kms of driving the Honda City where I had to fold the mirrors because of any reason.

I had got Reverse parking sensors fitted and they were Honda OE.

A2DP Bluetooth streaming was available in SV variant as well and have used it with my Oneplus 2 initially and ASUS Zenfone 3 lately. Never faced the issue of voice quality with my SV variant.

While the points you mention are may be quiet relevant, I would seriously deny the fact that they themselves can make the Honda City a better car and tremendously improve the appeal to an owner.

I would have liked the Honda City better if it was built better and missed all those unnecessary niggles which have been induced because of cost cutting measures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4107299)
Agree. Good summary of the points - took me back in time to Jan 2014 when I was debating between the SV and the V and finally went in for the V variant. Those tiny things are the ones which prick you everyday I guess and having them makes a big difference in the end...agree:

+1. I also took my decision to buy the V over SV due to these summarized factors. The difference back then was around 50k so decided it was worth it. Only grouse I hold till date is lack of auto option in the V. SV-AT was not considered and VX-AT was 150k more expensive so decided with V-MT.

Hopefully my next car will have an auto gearbox!

After nearly 3 years with the car i am finding the stiff suspension as the biggest turnoff for me and family members. On rough roads ( the norm in Bangalore ) the car just passes every imperfection to the cabin. I tried playing with tyre pressure but has no significant impact.

I am wondering if someone tried a suspension upgrade ? Are Bilstiens or any other suspension upgrade kits available for the 4th gen city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediKnight (Post 4109044)
On rough roads ( the norm in Bangalore ) the car just passes every imperfection to the cabin. I tried playing with tyre pressure but has no significant impact.

I am wondering if someone tried a suspension upgrade ? Are Bilstiens or any other suspension upgrade kits available for the 4th gen city.

Tyre pressure does help and try switching the Michelin's upgrades for softer ride. There is a separate thread for this.
I had the trouble and i shifted to F32-R30 and it has eased out. Even better if you make it F31-R29 or F30-R28. In my experience even stock tyres give soft suspension feel with this pressure.

Quote:

After nearly 3 years with the car i am finding the stiff suspension as the biggest turnoff for me and family members. On rough roads ( the norm in Bangalore ) the car just passes every imperfection to the cabin. I tried playing with tyre pressure but has no significant impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashankjk (Post 4109298)
Tyre pressure does help and try switching the Michelin's upgrades for softer ride. There is a separate thread for this.
I had the trouble and i shifted to F32-R30 and it has eased out. Even better if you make it F31-R29 or F30-R28. In my experience even stock tyres give soft suspension feel with this pressure.

Oh has the Bangalore roads also gone bad. At least the roads were smooth even though the traffic was bad when I left Bangalore in 2013.

Rough ride quality is one of the characteristics of Honda vehicles. I installed Rogerab and then found the ride quality to be a tad better but in no ways excellent. You can try that as there is an option of installing and returning back with full refund (minus the installation charges of 500 bucks or so) if you don't like the performance.

Under pressuring the tyres increases the ride comfort but decreases tyre life and fuel efficiency. F32 and R30 is the honda recommended tyre pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4109328)
. F32 and R30 is the honda recommended tyre pressure.

Exactly. Two pressures are the recommended F35R33 or F32R30. I find the latter more comfortable and sufficient. In case it isn't, keep pressure 31-29 - I do that sometimes when my kid is onboard for more comfort. Ideally 32-30 should be sufficient but 1psi lower in case it isn't , shouldn't harm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kutoos (Post 4106522)
Nothing to be surprised about. Sheer arrogance when things are going good and desperate pleas when things are in the dumps.

It is purely a dealer issue. When I bought the City from Courtesy Honda, New Delhi - it was a good experience - not superb though. Nothing phenomenal in the City sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR (Post 4108140)
I had got Honda OE Fog Lamps fitted ......
I would have liked the Honda City better if it was built better and missed all those unnecessary niggles which have been induced because of cost cutting measures.

How much did you pay for the OE fog lamps? Where do they install the switch to control the fog lamps? Can you please share a picture of the switch which was installed?

Quote:

I fully agree. The suspension of City is pretty bad. I have driven a Ecosport before and City does not fair in front of the Ecosport suspension. There are grunts and rattles from dashboard all the time. Not at all a premium sedan any more. I have been quite taken aback with the Honda quality. 4th gen City is my first Honda and I'm quite disappointed with the build quality of the car. Even the maintenance is also not that cheap at all.

Moreover, can somebody suggest me a good reverse parking camera and screen combination? I do not want to install the screen over the rear view mirror. I want a separate screen which can be installed on the dashboard or should be possible to hang on front glass - like the mobile holder.

Has anyone faced this kind of wear on the clutch pedal?
This is the condition in my i-dtec after 6 months and 10000 KM run.
I have never seen anything like this in my previous cars, a korean run 65K km/8 years old and a German 70K run/4 years old

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20161023_124017206_copy.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20161023_124054689_copy.jpg

I will be taking it to the service center this weekend, and let me see what Honda has to say about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4109976)
I have never seen anything like this in my previous cars, a korean run 65K km/8 years old and a German 70K run/4 years old

This might be a one off issue, have never seen anything like this on any other car we have owned.

The 2 Honda's we have in our Family (Brio & New City) don't have this problem.

Also, looking at pictures, the Rubber pad on clutch pedal is offset. Have the service center guys changed that clutch pedal from other car.

Quote:

This has happened on our 2007 Getz, for the clutch pedal. But that was after 6+ years of solid use.

The pedal seems to be fine. It's the rubber pad around it which has come off. Hope Honda guys have a spare pad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 4108199)
+1. I also took my decision to buy the V over SV due to these summarized factors. The difference back then was around 50k so decided it was worth it. Only grouse I hold till date is lack of auto option in the V. SV-AT was not considered and VX-AT was 150k more expensive so decided with V-MT.

Hopefully my next car will have an auto gearbox!

I had to settle in for the "SV" variant when I bought since Auto was only available in SV or VX and the nearly 3.25 lakh difference between the two did not justify the extra features in Vx.
Ideal would have been a "V" variant of the autobox.

Here is how I mitigated some of the drawbacks in SV:
1. Fitted an aftermarket (Honda dealer sourced) reverse parking camera - works very well
2. Also fitted parking sensors

Bluetooth streaming and voice call clarity has never been a problem for me - works fine. Agree that the sound system is not that great (my son keeps telling me that the Sound system in our Tata Nano is better!!) but adequate

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarguyNish (Post 4109992)
Also, looking at pictures, the Rubber pad on clutch pedal is offset. Have the service center guys changed that clutch pedal from other car.

Alignment is fine. Since the rubber is torn from the left side, it has moved and can be pushed back to original place.

Quote:

Not happened to my car but seems to be a minor issue of rubber not being fitted properly and hence gotten torn. I do hope that Honda would have this part in spare!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 4110024)
I had to settle in for the "SV" variant when I bought since Auto was only available in SV or VX and the nearly 3.25 lakh difference between the two did not justify the extra features in Vx.
Ideal would have been a "V" variant of the autobox.

My reason for not going to SV was paddle shifters (just for fun!), alloy wheels (no-compromise here), folding side view mirrors (my office car park is the rack system for which this has to be folded), integrated music system with reverse camera (which looks like a 11 lac car!), and better sound quality. As you said, 3.25 lacs doesn't justify it but perhaps a V-AT at 1 lac extra would have hit the sweet spot.