Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-355.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great (Post 4113989)
Just booked the SV Manual version.

Despite the problems / niggles listed in our forum, I bought it for my sheer love for this model.

Had already booked the Ciaz a few days back, rationalizing all aspects (cheaper, more spacious, more VFM etc etc), but whenever I saw any City on the road I kept feeling I should have bought this. Ultimately I cancelled the Ciaz booking and booked a Pearl White beauty.

Congratulations, great choice & excellent decision to go with City Petrol instead of Ciaz (Assuming). Well done.
Many Niggles were reported, but the newer ones don't have those. I can say this with confidence, My Brother replaced his 5 year old Fluidic Verna Diesel with a City Diesel. No Niggles at all, does not rattle a thing. Touchwood. clap:

Also, I am surprised by the NVH levels, there is hardly any sound inside at idle & low revs. Once past 3-4k rpm, you can hear it which is a common character of Diesel Engine. I am very much satisfied by the car (Unlike most others, who aren't happy), it's a well engineered car no doubt. If any problems occur, I will be happily highlighting them here, no 2nd thoughts on that front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 4114043)
Congrats and a great choice. i-VTec or i-DTec? I own an SV too.

Even with all the niggles, I believe that City petrol has the most reliable mechanicals in that segment. City diesel engine, with all its NVH issues, is still as reliable as Fiat's 1.3, if not more. You will never regret this decision.

Petrol Engine is great, nothing comes close to it, especially in Manual Avatar. In Automatic, you have Vento TSI which is nearly as good. (Gains on Quick Gearbox, but Looses out on Reliability).

Diesel NVH has improved vastly over inital batches. I recently had a 200km trip in Jazz Diesel. I was impressed by the refinement, there was hardly any noise inside the cabin at low speeds. At high speeds, tyre noise was evident. But with all the bashing for this Excellent 1.5 iDTEC Engine (NVH levels), I was in a mood like, why people complain about the noise when the cabin is nearly as silent as Petrol Engine !! (In the New Jazz & City I have travelled in)

Having spent considerable time on 3 cars of this Segment (Verna, City, Rapid), I will rate the City as the best overall, while Rapid has excellent Performance & Dynamics, whereas the Verna is all about Styling & Features. It was also the thirstiest of the 3, while the City hardly asks for a topup often. :)

Honda, now make the car even Premium & improve the NVH even further on the Facelifted City & you will have a segment leader becoming even more competitive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarguyNish (Post 4114078)
Diesel NVH has improved vastly over inital batches.

I will rate the City as the best overall, while Rapid has excellent Performance & Dynamics, whereas the Verna is all about Styling & Features. It was also the thirstiest of the 3, while the City hardly asks for a topup often. :)

I have not driven the newer City/Jazz diesels, but the older ones were really harsh. Then again Vento/Rapid has equally loud diesel. But Verna is in another league altogether if you consider NVH. But I agree, as an overall package, it is difficult to ignore City.

If the newer diesels are as good as you say, it will vastly improve the City diesel ownership experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigyy (Post 4112394)
This is a standard problem of the CVT engine, though, with the brilliant engine at City's disposal the problem is masked to quite an extent.
Frank with his Crio has mentioned about his Crio being fitted by PedalTune which is nothing but a accelerator throttle input modifier. I did speak to them some time back and they do have a franchise in Delhi.

I spoke to the owner, and he told me that they have specific solutions for the City CVT improving the gearbox and acceleration performance. Haven't tried either of them, but willing to get it done, maybe we can join together :D

If you do wish to know more about him, drop me a line and ill be happy to help.

Do not attempt anything that would void warranty on a CVT. It would be really expensive if something goes wrong.

As an owner of the VX CVT for the past 2.5+ years, here are my two cents.

1. In 'D' mode, there is no use of pressing accelerator to the floor as the speed won't get immediately picked up. It would pick up to the desired levels say with a lag of 2 seconds. Characteristic rubber band effect of automatic cars. 'D' mode is for normal driving and you need to have the patience of having a light foot. Trust me with the light foot, car would pick up much faster than a hard foot in this mode. Need to get adjusted to the knack of driving fast and efficient in 'D' mode.

2. In 'S' mode, things are different though. You can do a hard foot along with the paddle shifts and car just gallops forward. There is a bit of lag here as well, however that is negligible. Mind it, the car can pickup really fast on plain roads. Need to be careful here and make sure the roads are clear.

But in case you're finding the pickup to be slower than normal in both modes, then have a check with the Honda A.S.S. Before visiting A.S.S., check on the air filter and clear the dusts off and from the canister as well. Make sure you know how to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4114105)
Do not attempt anything that would void warranty on a CVT. It would be really expensive if something goes wrong.

I am exactly of the same opinion as yours and in fact quoted very similar thing to one fellow teambhpian yesterday over phone !! :D
In fact, so much so, i am vary of up-sizing the City's tires as a close friend of mine keeps insisting that i would lose warranty by going in for a larger set of wheels.
That said, i am surely willing to try out the PedalTune thing as it is almost a plug and play system which "supposedly" goes undetected on the OBD scanners once removed. Will post updates on PedalTune and a tuning chip which has the same mechanism as the RD box if i do decide to try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4109976)
Has anyone faced this kind of wear on the clutch pedal?
This is the condition in my i-dtec after 6 months and 10000 KM run.
I have never seen anything like this in my previous cars, a korean run 65K km/8 years old and a German 70K run/4 years old

Attachment 1585068

Attachment 1585069

I will be taking it to the service center this weekend, and let me see what Honda has to say about it.

I got the rubber pad replaced at Honda service center and was duly charged Rs. 195/- for this.

Which is the best Honda service centre in Bangalore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4114132)
I got the rubber pad replaced at Honda service center and was duly charged Rs. 195/- for this.

Was this Rs 195 charged for only 1 pad i.e clutch pedal pad?

Is this part cost of inclusive of labor (if any)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4114169)

I would like to know as well, since in my experience I see a big gap between what Ive seen across the country and what I see in Honda's ASCs in Bangalore. My experience with Maruti ASCs in Bangalore ranks right up at top vs the rest of the country though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4114198)
Was this Rs 195 charged for only 1 pad i.e clutch pedal pad?

Is this part cost of inclusive of labor (if any)?

In the bill there is no mention of any labor charges specific to this part replacement, so it is part cost alone. I had requested them to do a general checkup of the vehicle, for which I paid 1380/- as labor charges separately.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-22122016-113931.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4114232)
In the bill there is no mention of any labor charges specific to this part replacement, so it is part cost alone.

:deadhorse

I am totally out of words buddy seeing the part cost that Honda is charging for that piece of rubber cut to a shape! Less said about the quality better IMO.

I drive a 2013 Swift with 1.02 lakh kms, the brake pedal rubber pad is wearing off on its right side and I am able to see the metal underneath so placed order for the rubber pad at my regular MGP (Maruti Genuine Parts) outlet. It was Rs 7.50 for each pad. I bought 4 and was charged Rs 30 in all!

Honda is charging ~Rs 200! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 4114043)
Congrats and a great choice. i-VTec or i-DTec? I own an SV too.

Even with all the niggles, I believe that City petrol has the most reliable mechanicals in that segment. City diesel engine, with all its NVH issues, is still as reliable as Fiat's 1.3, if not more. You will never regret this decision.

I booked the petrol i-Vtec version, Pearl white.

After using Maruti and Hyundai products for years now we felt we should have a Honda. Going by the brand image and testimonials about the City and since I was smitten by this model right from its launch, I couldn't resist myself to wait for the face-lift 2017 version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4114240)
Honda is charging ~Rs 200!

They wanted to charge me Rs 1200 for the engine underbody cover bolts!!! Got it done for Rs 50 at my FNG.

Honda charges are ridiculous for small parts. In fact my SA himself told me which shop to go to for these bolts. I know him for a while now so perhaps he didn't want to feel guilty by overcharging me 20x!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4114169)

Hello The Brutailer,

Well, I don't know which is the best.

I usually give my car to Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore. (Last 4 Services were done there)

While they aren't the best service center I have visited, they are certainly okay. (Plus I stay about 100kms north of Bangalore, this is the closest and easiest to reach)

Points worth noting:
- Give your car on a day between Tuesday-Friday (I usually get my car serviced on Wednesdays or Thursdays); They are less busy these days. Never give your car on a Saturday, they service around 100 cars on that day (saw it with my own eyes).
- Don't be fooled into taking things like Engine Dressing, A/C disinfection, Rat Repellent, 3M treatments etc. They will try their best into pushing you to take these useless add-ons (which are costly too) and at times they make it compulsory too. My guess is that they have targets to meet each day per customer. If any of these products are needed, it's way cheaper at the local 3M store. (And engine dressing is done for free with most treatmentslol:)
- Better to book an appointment 2-3 days prior, and preferably around 9.00am. Their day starts at 8.00am-8.30am, but most of the workers reach there by 9.00am-9.30am.
- If you give your car for a general service without wheel alignment, you can get your car back around 2.00pm-3.00pm. If you request for alignment, then you would receive your car back only by 5.00pm.
-They don't do anything other than what "Honda" has told them. (No accessory modifications, no synthetic oil change, etc)
- Service Manager: Mr. Thomas Jixon
- Bodyshop Manager: Mr. Albert Raj

Disclaimer: I am no way related to Magnum Honda, Yeshwanthpur nor any 3M Car Care center. I have given my honest and open review of the places.

On a side note: Some service advisors push you really bad for the extra options;
Ex:
1. Sir, you have to engine dressing, it will keep the engine bay looking nice and neat.
2. Sir, Engine dressing will clean all the sensors inside and around the engine.
3. Sir, A/C disinfection will clean your car very well, remove all bacteria, dust and give good smell.

Also, be sure to mention the fuel type your car uses; some service advisors assume your fuel type based on your running and are careless not to even ask. (Happened to me the last time I gave my car in. The regular service advisor whom I regularly give to was not there. I gave it to someone else. As my car had done 71000kms and I had requested for the 80K km service, he said okay sir and gave me an estimate of RS.8000. I had to inform him that it was a petrol car and not a diesel one.)

I hope I have given you a fair idea of the place and what to expect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by themonster (Post 4114868)
Hello The Brutailer, I hope I have given you a fair idea of the place and what to expect.

Thank you for this comprehensive info! Will keep in mind. :) Hope you're enjoying the car!

Hey guys,

I have an I-Dtec with about 18 K on the meter and bought in Sep 15. Off late (last three weeks) i can hear the clutch make a noise (something like choon...) while pressing down and relieving. This started with noise in a few instances and to now, where there is sound at all time. Can you please help understand what might this be? Don't want to go the service center with no idea on what it might be... Thank much for your help.