Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 18:48   #5371
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Is it safe ? Will this practice not put additional stress on the tyres ?
I also believe overinflated tyres compromise the braking performance. Higher the pressure, lesser is the contact patch with the road.
I would agree with a4anurag's suggestion of experimenting within +/-2 psi of the OEM recommended tyre pressure.
Old 9th January 2017, 19:54   #5372
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
I also believe overinflated tyres compromise the braking performance. Higher the pressure, lesser is the contact patch with the road.
Completely agree on this. Imagine what will happen during wet conditions when you start loosing traction due to a lesser contact patch.

Over-inflating will also lead to reduced tyre-life with the possibility of getting un-even thread wear.
Old 9th January 2017, 22:14   #5373
BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe ? Will this practice not put additional stress on the tyres ?

During highway runs, the tyres get really hot, due to which the air pressure increases anyway, will be worse if they are already over-inflated. Won't doing this increase the chances of a tyre burst ?
My car has Michelin Energy XM1, which has a maximum pressure rating of 51 PSI. 34 and 36, that I use, are well below that. Also tyre manufacturers recommend max pressure with a good safety margin. So even if you fill upto 51 PSI, it is not going to burst, because the pressure to fail will be much higher.

Also the load and speed rating is 84T. That means load upto 500kg per tyre and speed upto 190km/h. These values too will have a good safety margin, above the recommended limits.

Temperature rating is 'A', which is the coolest possible rating.

So based on the tyre manufacturer reccommendation, each tyre of my car can withstand 51 PSI with 500kg load at a speed of 190km/h. I am well below all of these parameters under all conditions.

Car manufacturers recommend pressure based on the overall usage pattern, including city and highway driving. Since the City has a stiff suspension, a higher pressure means a harder low speed ride. Since my drive is mostly in the highways, such a low pressure is not suitable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
I agree that increasing pressure may lead to decreased contact patch. But I am not sure if it can directly affect braking performance at the pressure levels that we are discussing. Because Honda recommends higher pressure for high speed driving. If higher pressure means compromised braking performance, they would have recommended lower pressure for higher speeds. I think this higher pressure causing decreased contact patch is apparent only at much higher pressures. That may be the reason for them recommending high pressure for faster driving. Please see the attached image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I don't know what "Polarising" means!
Anyway, I agree, the "chrome" grill is bit too tad and am not at all liking it.

I am not "challenging" anyone here. Its just my thought and I just meant "Nothing to write about either of them in terms of design and given a choice, its City for me".

Peace
What I meant to say was, many people love City's design and many hate it too (mainly due to chrome grille). Whereas for Ciaz, there is no single element in its design language that can elicit such a hatred.

But personally, I love the way City looks. The look of that grille grows on you.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20170109_211547_edited.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20170109_211631_edited.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20170109_222649.jpg  

Last edited by deerhunter : 9th January 2017 at 22:42.
deerhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 00:48   #5374
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I am well below all of these parameters under all conditions.
Even I have used michelin XM1's in the same size so I very well know these ratings and limits, no doubt they are correct.

But being so sure that the tyre won't burst because the maximum limit is not reached is wrong, we do see tyres burst on the highways and it is not always due to an external peircing. The load of the entire car changes from one side to another during turns, so the load on the tyres will also keep changing with every turn, how will you be sure that it will never exceed 500kgs/tyre ?

Also I never said that the tyre WILL burst, I said that the chances are more if they are over-inflated. We are going off-topic so might as well end it here. I do not have any technical knowlegde about this so I follow what my manufacturer says.

Last edited by OSH : 10th January 2017 at 00:50.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 01:24   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Even I have used michelin XM1's in the same size so I very well know these ratings and limits, no doubt they are correct.

But being so sure that the tyre won't burst because the maximum limit is not reached is wrong, we do see tyres burst on the highways and it is not always due to an external peircing. The load of the entire car changes from one side to another during turns, so the load on the tyres will also keep changing with every turn, how will you be sure that it will never exceed 500kgs/tyre ?

Also I never said that the tyre WILL burst, I said that the chances are more if they are over-inflated. We are going off-topic so might as well end it here. I do not have any technical knowlegde about this so I follow what my manufacturer says.
The mass of an Indian made Honda City is around 1050 kg. This together with passenger mass do not exceed 1200 kg in case of my car. At no point will each tyre have more than 500 kg of mass supported by it, under the conditions I drive.

Forces acting on the tyre while cornering is entirely different. Manufacturer has not given any recommended maximums for that. So we will never know.
But given that load rating is 500kg, the ability to withstand forces will be much higher than that.

Also I dont think my 36 and 34 PSI are really over inflation, because Honda themselves recommend 35 and 33 PSI for high speed driving. Since higher speed causes more heat, if Honda thinks 35 and 33 do not cause any overheating or tyre bursts, then my 34 and 36 at much lower speeds will surely wont cause any bursts.

Ultimately everything comes to ones driving preference. Since my driving is almost exclusively in highways, I have experimented a bit and found out a pressure that suits my needs. Since it is not far off from Honda and michelin recommended pressures, I am satisfied with it.

Last edited by deerhunter : 10th January 2017 at 01:38.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 12:13   #5376
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Guys, what's the tyre pressure you keep your car at? Recommended says 32 and 30 for front and rear IIRC, but I felt acceleration to be little sluggish after that.
These are the recommended inflation pressures for cold tyres. Make sure you fill these pressures before the car is driven or compensate with higher pressures if the tyres are not cold. I generally fill 34/32 at the pump to compensate for the drive to the pump

Last edited by mxh : 10th January 2017 at 12:15.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 08:23   #5377
BANNED

Was waiting for a friend of mine by the side of the road and there was a Honda City White colour (may be SV variant). Nothing unusual but one thing caught my was the indicators that were added to the lower cowl (Near the fog lamp area).

Looked fantastic and elegant. Here an image (Sorry for the poor quality image)

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-239738-img_20170113_074329.jpg

Not sure is this was posted earlier.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 09:07   #5378
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother in law's city need a change of tyres. Two of the stock tyres are bald (which are now at the rear till the new ones are replaced) now that the car's ODO has crossed 36000Kms. They are the stock 175/65R15 tyres.
We will get it changed this weekend.
I've got to decide between 195/60R15 and 205/60R15. Will not go for 205/55 as it will reduce the overall diameter by a small margin compared to the stock tyres. I don't want to reduce the GC for the roads we have-however small it may be.
Having used 205/60R15 on my Punto, I would prefer it for the very good grip that it provides. Punto's wheel well was huge and could accommodate this size easily but I'm not sure if the wheel well of the city can accommodate this. Also wanted to know if the tyre fits stock wheel and if its not too wide for it (What's the wheel width-5.5J?). If it is 5J then we will have to settle for 195/60R15
Old 13th January 2017, 09:54   #5379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I've got to decide between 195/60R15 and 205/60R15. Will not go for 205/55 as it will reduce the overall diameter by a small margin compared to the stock tyres. I don't want to reduce the GC for the roads we have-however small it may be.
Having used 205/60R15 on my Punto, I would prefer it for the very good grip that it provides. Punto's wheel well was huge and could accommodate this size easily but I'm not sure if the wheel well of the city can accommodate this. Also wanted to know if the tyre fits stock wheel and if its not too wide for it (What's the wheel width-5.5J?). If it is 5J then we will have to settle for 195/60R15
My car has been running on 205/60R15 Michelin XM2 tires on the stock alloys for over 30k km. This is perhaps the ideal setup for the City in terms of handling, grip, GC, comfort and aesthetics. The tires still have around 20k km of life left in them.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th January 2017 at 09:56.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 12:16   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Also wanted to know if the tyre fits stock wheel and if its not too wide for it (What's the wheel width-5.5J?). If it is 5J then we will have to settle for 195/60R15
If the wheel size is 5.5 x 15, the ideal tyre width is 195 mm.
For a 5 x 15 wheel, 185 mm is the size.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:57   #5381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Was waiting for a friend of mine by the side of the road and there was a Honda City White colour (may be SV variant). Nothing unusual but one thing caught my was the indicators that were added to the lower cowl (Near the fog lamp area).

Looked fantastic and elegant. Here an image (Sorry for the poor quality image)

Attachment 1594738

Not sure is this was posted earlier.
I have a similar one on mine as well. Mine are one single strip of LED similar to new generation Audi DRL's and these seem to be the old jewel style Audi DRL's. They definitely look cool and improve the car presence on the road in both day and night time.

Has somebody here fitted the official window visors on there car. I am looking for the same from my dealer in Pune but they are always out of stock. They are a bit expensive but look best in my opinion. I checked with Bafna Auto on FC Road and they cannot arrange the official ones. Also please let me know how is the long term durability of this product. Does it change its color after long exposure to Sun. I have a covered parking but my car get exposed to Sun from the Driver side in Winters and I have no way to extend the shade to stop it.
Old 14th January 2017, 01:29   #5382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
I
Has somebody here fitted the official window visors on there car. I am looking for the same from my dealer in Pune but they are always out of stock. They are a bit expensive but look best in my opinion.
Hey, I have just fitted it but it's too soon to provide feedback. Been just about 3-4 weeks. Didn't buy the official ones. Bought aftermarket. If they fade after a year or so, I will just remove and throw them away. Unfortunately the app doesn't allow me to attach a picture here but they look good. Can send u pics if you PM me.
Old 14th January 2017, 12:25   #5383
BHPian

Has anyone installed Auto Fold ORVMs? Any idea how to go about it in Bangalore?
Old 15th January 2017, 11:26   #5384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
I had this issue 1 month or so after purchasing my car. This is due to issues with driver side door alignment and not any electrical problem. The service center should be able to fix this.
Thanks mate! The friendly neighbourhood technicians at Arya Honda, Bhandup fixed it up in 5 minutes flat!
Old 15th January 2017, 12:10   #5385
BHPian

Having been left at the mercy of the car washing boys at my rented apartment in Thane, my City had started to look way older than her 2.5 years. Which is when I heard that Maxshine Detailing, Thane had started ceramic coating jobs in their new facility.

Since I'd already experienced first hand the kind of good work they do, I decided to go for it. A tad expensive at Rs. 25k, but the kind of passion and attention these guys put into each job, is just worth it.

I'll let the post treatment pictures do the rest of the talking. Do keep in mind that this is a 2.5 year old car with 40k km on the Odo.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_920a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_93c.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_921a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_91d.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_924a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_926a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_930.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_934a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_933a.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-unadjustednonraw_thumb_98ca.jpg
krishnadevjs is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed