Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-363.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4143735)
Totally Agree. Honda had a good chance to bring in a Hybrid Model and be the first one to do so in this segment. Looks like we need to wait another 3 years for that. I do hope that cool looking touchscreen AVN system would be made available as an accessory for the current gen City as well :D

Agree, there was Service guy at Magnum Honda Bangalore who had fixed it earlier on. Need to see if that guy is still around...otherwise have to live with it :Frustrati

Touchscreen AVN system can be fitted in the current model. Cost is 40K+.

/1
Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4143725)
I don't want to go for Goodyear again although the Goodyear Assurance tyre has a good review comment from one of the Distinguished BHPian. But this tyre as per him is not for comfort. So, it does not fit the Honda City as ride quality is not City's strong area.

Yokohama Earth1 - I installed on my Wagon R recently. Road noise is lesser by a great extent but comfort and FE really not much changes observed compared to the previous JK. But again my Wagon R is 10 year old, so can't expect much.

Thanks for your comments.

I replaced my tyres today. Went for Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60 R15. Purchased from New Bharat Tyres, Trivandrum.

Price breakup:

Manufacturing Date: December 2016 (Mfg. date marked as '4816' in three tyres and '4716' in one).
4 sets of tyres: 25,460
Alignment and Balancing: 1120
Valves (4 sets): 600
Total: 27,180

Initial impressions after driving about 15 kms in highway and city:

1. Road noise: 95% reduction compared to the previous Goodyear GT3. On smooth roads, road noise is NIL. Perfect in this area.
2. Steering feel: No hardness on city driving. Same as before. Probably a bit smoother. Good road contact feel.
3. Handling: Feeling an improvement. There is a stretch of road in TVM i.e. Aakulam - Ulloor road which has a lot of sharp curves. But the road is designed improperly. Normally on sharp curves, the roads would be built a bit tilted to the direction of the curve. But here, it is plain on all the curves. So, the grip level although showing an improvement does not give confidence at speeds above 60 km/h in this road. I strongly feel the road is to blame rather than the car or tyres.
4. FE: MID was at 11.8 kms/l before. I did not reset the MID, after replacement, the MID still stands at 11.8 kms/l. Would provide a correct FE figure after 2 weeks of driving.
5. Tyre Pressure: Complimentary nitrogen filling done. As per the technicians, the recommended tyre pressure after up sizing is 30 PSI for all the tyres. Comfort and performance is very good in these settings as of now.

Overall, feeling much better than the Goodyear GT3. Would post if there are any other observations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4144014)
/1

I replaced my tyres today. Went for Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60 R15. Purchased from New Bharat Tyres, Trivandrum.

Price breakup:

Manufacturing Date: December 2016 (Mfg. date marked as '4816' in three tyres and '4716' in one).
4 sets of tyres: 25,460
Alignment and Balancing: 1120
Valves (4 sets): 600
Total: 27,180

Initial impressions after driving about 15 kms in highway and city:

1. Road noise: 95% reduction compared to the previous Goodyear GT3. On smooth roads, road noise is NIL. Perfect in this area.
2. Steering feel: No hardness on city driving. Same as before. Probably a bit smoother. Good road contact feel.
3. Handling: Feeling an improvement. There is a stretch of road in TVM i.e. Aakulam - Ulloor road which has a lot of sharp curves. But the road is designed improperly. Normally on sharp curves, the roads would be built a bit tilted to the direction of the curve. But here, it is plain on all the curves. So, the grip level although showing an improvement does not give confidence at speeds above 60 km/h in this road. I strongly feel the road is to blame rather than the car or tyres.
4. FE: MID was at 11.8 kms/l before. I did not reset the MID, after replacement, the MID still stands at 11.8 kms/l. Would provide a correct FE figure after 2 weeks of driving.
5. Tyre Pressure: Complimentary nitrogen filling done. As per the technicians, the recommended tyre pressure after up sizing is 30 PSI for all the tyres. Comfort and performance is very good in these settings as of now.

Overall, feeling much better than the Goodyear GT3. Would post if there are any other observations.

Is this the New Bharath Tyres near to Chackai Bye Pass? Once visited NBT, Chackai branch for wheel alignment/balancing and they did a pretty neat job.

Have plans to upsize from stock MRF to Michelin Primacy 3 ST (195/60/R 15), enquired few days back at DBS, Edappally, Kochi and the quote which I got was 6200/-per tire and further discounts if going with 4 sets.

IMO - Car accessories are much cheaper in Kochi than in Trivandrum.

How is brake performance, do you feel huge difference? Any reason you didn’t upsize the spare tire. I read in your previous post that the stock tires are Goodyear which bulge after few years if not used, though of getting rid of the spare?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion 10 (Post 4144417)
Is this the New Bharath Tyres near to Chackai Bye Pass? Once visited NBT, Chackai branch for wheel alignment/balancing and they did a pretty neat job.

Have plans to upsize from stock MRF to Michelin Primacy 3 ST (195/60/R 15), enquired few days back at DBS, Edappally, Kochi and the quote which I got was 6200/-per tire and further discounts if going with 4 sets.

IMO - Car accessories are much cheaper in Kochi than in Trivandrum.

How is brake performance, do you feel huge difference? Any reason you didn’t upsize the spare tire. I read in your previous post that the stock tires are Goodyear which bulge after few years if not used, though of getting rid of the spare?

Scorpion, yes this is the same near Chacka byepass. You need to ask for discounts there else they won't give. But the job done is perfect.

Spare tire I haven't used yet. Also, the tubeless tires even after a puncture won't lose air very fast compared to the tubes. I checked with the dealer and he said that in case there is a problem with one of the new tyres, I can use the spare tire for driving up to a nearest tire shop for repair. This won't cause any issue for a short duration since spare tire as well as the new tire are 15 inchers.

I haven't driven much, but whatever drive I had, there are no braking issues. It's similar to what was it before. Road noise, that is the one which is really mattering as I see at the moment. These tires are super silent.

Would post my feedback again in the next 2 weeks with the FE as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4144014)
/1

I strongly feel the road is to blame rather than the car or tyres.

Any new tyre will need a couple of hundred kilometers run in. Post this phase, P3ST should prove itself a good improvement over the GT3 in terms of grip levels.

Any recommendations for a good touchscreen AVN for my nov 2015 City V ? It should support Android Auto and Apple carplay and also all the steering controls should work, mainly I would like to get the convenience of not using my mobile for navigation . Thanks.

I recently did similar tyre upgrade exercise for my 4 year old Jazz and below is my experience. Have done 2000km post the upgrade in 2 weeks time.

Upgraded to Primacy 3 ST 195/60/R15 from XM1 175/65/R15. I got 4 tyres for 5900 each and some 300 for old tyre. I did it at Tyre X Mulund.
Also did two 900 km 2 day trips from Mumbai to Belgaum. I had done same trip 10 days before on the older tyres so the comparisons are very easy.
Some observations:
1. when someone changes from an old tyre to new one, almost always the experience will be better since the rubber is new and soft, whatever be the brands. So any feedback from anybody should be taken with pinch of salt.
2. Primacy is definitely quite than xm1 since I drive another car with xm tyres.
3. The grip levels are definitely better and handling has improved immensely.
4. As of now the tyres do not foul with any part of the car
5. Ride has been a little plush than before.
6. Steering has not become hard at all, actually it is little lighter I feel.
7. I was not able to check fuel efficiency since I did some spirited driving.  The MID read 16.6 instead of 17.1 from previous trip.

Anybody wanting to upgrade should go for primacy instead of xm2 since the price difference is really small around 250 bucks per tyre.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 4144555)
I recently did similar tyre upgrade exercise for my 4 year old Jazz and below is my experience. Have done 2000km post the upgrade in 2 weeks time.

Upgraded to Primacy 3 ST 195/60/R15 from XM1 175/65/R15. I got 4 tyres for 5900 each and some 300 for old tyre. I did it at Tyre X Mulund.
Also did two 900 km 2 day trips from Mumbai to Belgaum. I had done same trip 10 days before on the older tyres so the comparisons are very easy.
Some observations:
1. when someone changes from an old tyre to new one, almost always the experience will be better since the rubber is new and soft, whatever be the brands. So any feedback from anybody should be taken with pinch of salt.
2. Primacy is definitely quite than xm1 since I drive another car with xm tyres.
3. The grip levels are definitely better and handling has improved immensely.
4. As of now the tyres do not foul with any part of the car
5. Ride has been a little plush than before.
6. Steering has not become hard at all, actually it is little lighter I feel.
7. I was not able to check fuel efficiency since I did some spirited driving.  The MID read 16.6 instead of 17.1 from previous trip.

Anybody wanting to upgrade should go for primacy instead of xm2 since the price difference is really small around 250 bucks per tyre.

Hope this helps.

How much is tire pressure you are maintaining post upgrade and how much is the honda recommended tire pressure for Jazz?

The technicians at the tire dealer set at 30 PSI for all the tires. However, I changed the settings to 32 front and 30 rear to just see how it feels. Smoother roads, these pressures are fine. But rough roads, I feel this pressure is a bit high for the up sized tires. May be just a feeling only.

Need some help in this from BHPians.

Hi Adarsh, I am sailing in same boat. Tyre guy said maintain same pressure. Honda says 32 at front and 30 at rear. I would suggest same for you. I found this to be good enough on the 2 900kms drive that I did. But I am not convinced enough why it should be same or different. I am going to try my hand at physics to solve this problem of what should be the pressure after upgrade. I haven't found any conclusive answers on the forum.
The 2 drives I did has only 65 kms of bad roads.
I am making another trip to ganpatipule soon, those roads are not the best. I will try some variations then and update here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 4144707)
Hi Adarsh, I am sailing in same boat. Tyre guy said maintain same pressure. Honda says 32 at front and 30 at rear. I would suggest same for you. I found this to be good enough on the 2 900kms drive that I did. But I am not convinced enough why it should be same or different. I am going to try my hand at physics to solve this problem of what should be the pressure after upgrade. I haven't found any conclusive answers on the forum.
The 2 drives I did has only 65 kms of bad roads.
I am making another trip to ganpatipule soon, those roads are not the best. I will try some variations then and update here.

When you upsize the tires, you must correspondingly reduce the air pressure. Otherwise, ride will become excessively stiff and bumpy and the sidewall will be prone to bulging.

My car runs on 205/60R15 tires. I have found that the sweet spot is 26 or 27psi, with an extra two pounds for full load of passengers and luggage.

Ditto for my Jazz, which also runs on an identical setup.

With the new Honda City hours away from launch, what current owners/prospective buyers really look for in the new version before thinking of upgrading/buying

- A niggle free version (Good old days of 3rd Gen)
- Improvement in ride quality
- Engine refinement and NVH level in diesel version
- Better build quality (Leaked brochure says ARAI rated fuel efficiency for Diesel engine with manual transmission is 25.6 km/l , so not expecting any change here).

Only for cosmetic changes, buyers willing to shell out more? Will it really improve the sales chart?

Thought from experts.

Question is how do we identify the sweet spot,? Or is it as per taste? My challenge is what is the pressure so that tyre walls don't get damaged. Lower the pressure (up to a limit) better is going to be the ride quality, but is that correct for tyre life?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 4144895)
Question is how do we identify the sweet spot,? Or is it as per taste?

Keeping in mind the recommendation by the manufacturers you can go a +/- 2 psi at the most.

You'll have change air pressure and drive to see how it feels. Accordingly you can decide. I have found a sweet spot at F=33psi and R=31psi in my Swift ZDi after countless experiments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 4144895)
Question is how do we identify the sweet spot,? Or is it as per taste? My challenge is what is the pressure so that tyre walls don't get damaged. Lower the pressure (up to a limit) better is going to be the ride quality, but is that correct for tyre life?

It comes from experience and you'll have to play with the pressures to find what works for you. Personally, I am happy to sacrifice a bit on performance and FE for cushy ride quality.

I'd like to add that the tires on both my Hondas have clocked over 35k km already and look good for another 20000km minimum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4144441)
You need to ask for discounts there else they won't give.

5900/- is the final price from DBS, Kochi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4144441)
But the job done is perfect.Spare tire I haven't used yet. Also, the tubeless tires even after a puncture won't lose air very fast compared to the tubes. I checked with the dealer and he said that in case there is a problem with one of the new tyres, I can use the spare tire for driving up to a nearest tire shop for repair. This won't cause any issue for a short duration since spare tire as well as the new tire are 15 inchers.

Did tire mechanic check the condition of the unused spare tire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask77 (Post 4144513)
Any recommendations for a good touchscreen AVN for my nov 2015 City V ? It should support Android Auto and Apple carplay and also all the steering controls should work, mainly I would like to get the convenience of not using my mobile for navigation . Thanks.

Breton is one brand promoted by ASC, approved by Honda. Price is on a higher side, 50-55k which includes tax and installation charges. Not sure whether the unit supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Here is the link http://breton.in/products/honda/honda-city.htm

I guess your car is still under warranty, any 3rd party installations may void it.