Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-365.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sree73 (Post 4146931)
A reproduction from Honda City Owners manual found online. These are calculated with respect to engine speeds in each gear. So, if these speeds are crossed in each gear, will be exceeding the specified engine RPM.

Tejas, Sree is right here. There was a case reported in Peninsular Honda, TVM. An Amaze car (forgot if it was a Diesel or Petrol) which had some gearbox damage. The car was repaired free of cost to the owner applying the warranty. However, later on when Honda technicians assessed the problem (records of Diagnostic System), it was found that the car was red lined too much.The warranty claim was rejected and Peninsular Honda had to bear the costs.

After that, the check is being done very strictly (may be across all dealers) for damages applicable for warranty coverage.

Suggest you should stick to what Honda says if you do care about warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruchir031 (Post 4146882)
They however yet did throttle body cleaning and EBD without my permission which costed additional 1.2k.

I actually do get throttle body cleaning done on my folks' '09 City in Gurgaon during every service. Costs about 400 and there is a difference in throttle response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketscience (Post 4146634)
Have been noticing this strange thing with my City (D) from quite sometime now
==========
What could be at fault here ? I noticed this in my petrol i20 too in the past but not any other cars.

Some time back, my friend was complaining about engine vibrations in his Amaze and issue was found to be a problem with clutch switches.

Update in forum the feedback from SA, this will be helpful for others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sree73 (Post 4146931)
A reproduction from Honda City Owners manual found online. These are calculated with respect to engine speeds in each gear. So, if these speeds are crossed in each gear, will be exceeding the specified engine RPM.

I couldnt find that in my owner's manual. Mine is a 2014 March iVTec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4147081)
Tejas, Sree is right here. There was a case reported in Peninsular Honda, TVM. An Amaze car (forgot if it was a Diesel or Petrol) which had some gearbox damage. The car was repaired free of cost to the owner applying the warranty. However, later on when Honda technicians assessed the problem (records of Diagnostic System), it was found that the car was red lined too much.The warranty claim was rejected and Peninsular Honda had to bear the costs.

After that, the check is being done very strictly (may be across all dealers) for damages applicable for warranty coverage.

Suggest you should stick to what Honda says if you do care about warranty.

Amaze diesel has some sort of speed limit restriction. That may have something to do with engine/GB damage at high rpms.

In my City iVTec owner's manual, no mention is made of the rpm restrictions/speed per gear. So I guess there are no issues with the City petrol.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20170216_152548_hdr_edited.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sree73 (Post 4146931)
A reproduction from Honda City Owners manual found online. These are calculated with respect to engine speeds in each gear. So, if these speeds are crossed in each gear, will be exceeding the specified engine RPM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 4147410)
I couldnt find that in my owner's manual. Mine is a 2014 March iVTec.



Amaze diesel has some sort of speed limit restriction. That may have something to do with engine/GB damage at high rpms.

In my City iVTec owner's manual, no mention is made of the rpm restrictions/speed per gear. So I guess there are no issues with the City petrol.

Attachment 1609088

I guess it's the user manual of Amaze. City's Diesel variant has a 6-speed manual transmission and there is no mention of the same in the manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 4147410)
I couldnt find that in my owner's manual. Mine is a 2014 March iVTec.



Amaze diesel has some sort of speed limit restriction. That may have something to do with engine/GB damage at high rpms.

In my City iVTec owner's manual, no mention is made of the rpm restrictions/speed per gear. So I guess there are no issues with the City petrol.

Attachment 1609088

Still, have a check with your service adviser on this. You know how costly it would be if something happens.

The warranty terms and conditions may not be mentioning about the rpm limits but certainly it would be saying that 'improper driving will void the warranty' or some similar phrases.

One question I've always wanted to ask : Has anyone seen what happens when the Range in MID goes to 0?

How many kms can you go after that? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4147505)
One question I've always wanted to ask : Has anyone seen what happens when the Range in MID goes to 0?

How many kms can you go after that? :D

A friend has gone 15km in a petrol city after the MID showed 0. He was somewhere in Odisha and failed to notice his MID. Anyway, he found a petrol pump before running dry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4147504)
Still, have a check with your service adviser on this. You know how costly it would be if something happens.

I will check with the service manager tomorrow.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhunter (Post 4147528)
A friend has gone 15km in a petrol city after the MID showed 0. He was somewhere in Odisha and failed to notice his MID. Anyway, he found a petrol pump before running dry.

Oh so around 1 litre is left? 15kms is quite low. Atleast 50 kms should've been kept as backup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4147533)
Oh so around 1 litre is left? 15kms is quite low. Atleast 50 kms should've been kept as backup.

He did not run out of petrol. He found a pump after running for 15km. Maybe the car would ve run for 50km if he had not found the pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sree73 (Post 4142516)
Be careful. The max allowable speed for Honda city in 2nd gear is 71 KMPH and 93 KMPH for diesel / petrol respectively.

LOL that's just stupid, rev limiter is built for a purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4147505)
One question I've always wanted to ask : Has anyone seen what happens when the Range in MID goes to 0?

How many kms can you go after that? :D

I have driven around 10KM in City diesel after the MID hit 0 on some rural state highway. Car would not accelerate even on flooring the pedal and I had to shift early to keep it moving. Driven slowly in third gear with AC off till I found the fuel station. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4147719)
I have driven around 10KM in City diesel after the MID hit 0 on some rural state highway. Car would not accelerate even on flooring the pedal and I had to shift early to keep it moving. Driven slowly in third gear with AC off till I found the fuel station. :D

One can generally manage to squeeze out a reasonable distance even after the low-fuel warning light illuminates or the range has hit 0 on the MID.

I remember experimenting on my old Corolla to see how far the car would go before dying. I managed to cover 69 KMs (after the fuel warning light came on) before the engine died due to lack of fuel. I had carried a 2 liter can of petrol which then helped me get to the nearest fuel station.

The most I have done in my City (petrol) with the range displaying 0, is about 18-19 KMs. I made it to the petrol pump without any issues. Though I believe it isn't a good idea to drive for too long on the reserve as it may be harmful for the fuel filter/fuel pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4147505)
One question I've always wanted to ask : Has anyone seen what happens when the Range in MID goes to 0?
How many kms can you go after that? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordfreak (Post 4148040)
One can generally manage to squeeze out a reasonable distance even after the low-fuel warning light illuminates or the range has hit 0 on the MID.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz (Post 4147719)
I have driven around 10KM in City diesel after the MID hit 0 on some rural state highway. Car would not accelerate even on flooring the pedal and I had to shift early to keep it moving.

The fuel pump was sure struggling to maintain the right fuel pressure, the chances of damage being very high.

Driving around with less than 1/4th of the Tank full is a bad idea and is a sure shot way to damage or cause premature failure of the fuel pump and also the catalytic converter.
Both are expensive parts and its always better to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel and never to let the fuel level go below 1/4th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4148060)
The fuel pump was sure struggling to maintain the right fuel pressure, the chances of damage being very high.

Driving around with less than 1/4th of the Tank full is a bad idea and is a sure shot way to damage or cause premature failure of the fuel pump and also the catalytic converter.
Both are expensive parts and its always better to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel and never to let the fuel level go below 1/4th.

100% agreed with your comments about possible damages to the fuel pump. In my case I had enough fuel(at least 2 bars if i remember correctly) when i reached the first available fuel pump. But unfortunately it was shut for maintenance and by the time I could reach the next one, MID started showing 0. I did the last few KM's almost coasting.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:55.