Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 15:49   #556
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Thank you GTO for a wonderful review.
Went to Deccan Honda Pimpri Pune today to enquire about the petrol CVT city.Was informed that petrol would only be launched on 14th Feb.

The SA kept saying that the CVT is more fuel efficient than the manual which is now being flashed everywhere in media.So i asked him if that is the case just under ideal driving conditions or in any scenario?
Ans from SA:The CVT will give more mileage than the manual even when pushed hard ie. in every driving scenario be it sedated or some hard driving.
Is that true ? Because i am looking for a petrol SV model and if the cvt gives more mileage than the manual in every driving scenario i would not mind spending a lac more on the cvt?

Thanks and Regards.
Old 14th January 2014, 16:34   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Repeating a question I asked earlier. Does the Honda CVT have the Hill Hold feature, I remember reading in a review that it does, but the brochure does not have anything regarding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Ans from SA:The CVT will give more mileage than the manual even when pushed hard ie. in every driving scenario be it sedated or some hard driving.
Is that true ? Because i am looking for a petrol SV model and if the cvt gives more mileage than the manual in every driving scenario i would not mind spending a lac more on the cvt?

Thanks and Regards.
Don't think that is correct. Below is the relevant section from GTO's review

CVTs can be more fuel-efficient than conventional ATs (but not well-driven manual transmissions). Drive with a light foot and you should see acceptable fuel economy. On the flip side, a heavy foot will see your efficiency drop drastically, more so because it brings in the CVT's rubber-band effect & 'wasted revvs'. The CVT's ARAI rating of 17.9 kpl might be slightly higher than the MT, but don't let that misguide you. The only reason for the rating is the CVT's ability to cruise at high speed with low rpms. We'll leave final kpl reports to our ownership reviews which have accurate real-world numbers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 16:54   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Thank you GTO for a wonderful review. Went to Deccan Honda Pimpri Pune today to enquire about the petrol CVT city.Was informed that petrol would only be launched on 14th Feb. The SA kept saying that the CVT is more fuel efficient than the manual which is now being flashed everywhere in media.So i asked him if that is the case just under ideal driving conditions or in any scenario? Ans from SA:The CVT will give more mileage than the manual even when pushed hard ie. in every driving scenario be it sedated or some hard driving. Is that true ? Because i am looking for a petrol SV model and if the cvt gives more mileage than the manual in every driving scenario i would not mind spending a lac more on the cvt? Thanks and Regards.
Dont think so.the key is to have a very light right foot. I personally prefer stick shifts, but looks like there is a great interest in automatic transmission.
Old 14th January 2014, 21:14   #559
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the first pics of the crystal black pearl Honda City VX-D.

The ownership review will be put up soon.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-dsc00291.jpg  

//M is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 21:54   #560
BHPian

Congrats mate and welcoming the first 4th generation Honda City to Team-BHP. Wish you a pleasant ownership experience. Waiting for your ownership thread.
Old 14th January 2014, 23:25   #561
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the link to my initial ownership review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...city-vx-d.html

Regards,
Arunabh
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 00:19   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

Regards,
Arunabh
Cant see your thread. There is something wrong.
Congratulations !!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 00:22   #563
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Cant see your thread. There is something wrong.
Congratulations !!
The thread is in the "Assembly Line" temporarily. I need to add a few more valuable info in order to make it public. Took delivery of the car late in the evening so was not able to write in detail about the character of the car. However, it will be done tomorrow for sure.
Old 15th January 2014, 06:09   #564
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Arunabh
Congratulations !!!! Arunab. Kindly post all the details and I would request you to keep updating the thread regularly as many like me would be waiting for a few more months to take the delivery and this will give us all a good insight of the car.
Thanks a bunch in advance.

cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:02   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Do update the link as soon as your thread is active. There is a bunch of BHPians dying to get the first glimpses of the owner's take on this car!

BTW, VX-D is the top model of the oil burner range, isn't it?
Old 15th January 2014, 12:44   #566
BHPian

@//M, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
your car looks stunning in pearl black. I'm sure the beauty is a head turner. I can see the enthusiasm of fellow BHPians! Don't keep us awaited for long for we are desperately waiting for more details.
Could you also add a point about how long it takes the car to cool down (after you put on the AC) with the car parked outside on a sunny day?
Also, do you plan to replace the front grill? It isn't looking that bad on black, but the twin grill would make your car a beautiful and charming princess!

Last edited by kryogesh : 15th January 2014 at 12:56.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:34   #567
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats //M! The grill definitely doesn't look bad on black, in fact I'd say it looks rather good. IMO, the only colour where it doesn't exactly blend in is Red. All others are kind of OK, though silver and white are the ones where it looks best.

Last edited by Tats07 : 15th January 2014 at 13:35.
Old 15th January 2014, 14:09   #568
BHPian

Quote:
I will be taking delivery of my City VX-D today. An ownership review will be put up soon.

Congrats Arunabh. I'm sure the black would look stunning. Looking forward to reading your test report.
Old 15th January 2014, 17:22   #569
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Arunabh, hearty congratulations on the car . I am in the process of finalizing the City and have some clarifications.
What was the final quote for your insurance and which is the company? I spoke to the dealer and he is quoting ~37k for bumper to bumper 0 dep insurance and also says that I have to take insurance from Honda themselves (Honda Assure). But I am being offered a comprehensive insurance at nearly half the price (after including the NCB of the car I am about to sell) by another private insurance company.
Old 15th January 2014, 17:38   #570
Team-BHP Support

Finally got my hands on the City diesel this morning and took it for a nice spin. Here are my thoughts on the same:

- The longer wheel base gives it a nice 'big car' feel and it looks better proportioned now that it has shorter overhangs. The rear end looks great but the lights look old and dated if you look closely. The overall design is not spectacular but it is certainly not offensive.

- The dashboard looks futuristic, the steering looks nice and is great to hold. Cabin room will leave you wondering if you really need to look at cars a segment or two higher! It's that good.

- Overall quality is not bad. It's nice in some places but cost cutting is evident. The exterior feels reasonably solid as does the interior. I'm not a fan of the headlining especially around the sunroof. It does feel cheap and Chinese in a few places, sorry General Mao.

- Front seats are good but you get the feeling that you're sitting on a chair rather than in a seat. In other words, you don't sit in it, you sit on it. The base of the seat is parallel to the floor so you don't sink into it. The rear bench is very comfortable however. The knee room at the back is truly mind boggling!

- The steering is very light! A bit too light I think. There is a certain amount of return-to-center tugging but not violent or strain inducing like in the Jazz. The gearbox feels slick and nice to operate. Surprising, considering that most Hondas I've driven have gearboxes that don't usually slot in positively.

- The low speed ride is not as bad as I'd thought it would be and the faster you go, the better it seemed to get. That being said, it desperately needs better rubber! Well done on that front, Honda!

- The engine is fairly noisy. The distinctive diesel clatter does filter into the cabin. However, the interior is free from vibrations and the engine doesn't sound too trashy if pushed hard. Power and torque delivery is very linear and enjoyable.

All in all, it is a fairly impressive car, save for a few things that I'd like to see addressed. I'm eagerly waiting for the CVT.
suhaas307 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed