Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-382.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4236828)
Glue in rubber beading ? There is no glue AFAIK. It just slots into place. Please ask them to show what they are talking about. Is your car in warranty ? Shouldn't this be sorted in warranty ?

That's what i was informed, I'll re check with them tomorrow. I had extended warranty but that was only for a total of 2 years and that has now expired, though the service advisor told me rubber parts are not covered in extended warranty as they are wear and tear parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1506 (Post 4237034)
Hey guys, we have been looking at the 2017 City S Petrol, which is coming at around 9.7L OTR in Kolkata. The price was attractive for the features and comfort on offer.

The S misses rear AC vents and steering controls, but paying 1L more for the SV doesnt make any sense to me, so this is all right.

However, a bit of research also led us to some great pre-owned cars. These are some of the models I found
1. BMW 320d / 325i 2009-2011 (multiple models, roughly 8 to 11L)
2. Audi A4 2.0 TDI / 1.8 TFSI 2011 (~10.5L)
3. Hyundai Sonata Top Model 2013 (~8.5L)
4. VW Jetta Highline TDI 2013 (~5.9L)

And all of a sudden, the City is not seeming that attractive anymore stupid:

Does it make sense to get a pre-owned car at this range, or should we just consider the City.
I understand the BMW and Audi will costlier to maintain, but exactly how much is the question. Also, any known issues or failures on those generation of cars.

Now, the really attractive option is the Jetta. It is pristine, low mileage and the price is excellent. Any idea about that too would be helpful.

The equation is debatable, but you have to be really really sure that the Germans you're talking about are really and truly mechanically sound and in super condition without a single suspicious issue. Clean and mint condition. Preferably it would be perfect if you know the owner personally and/ or have been seeing how the car was used to know how really it was treated. To be on the safe side.

Because, to cut things short, if you happen to have to repair any kind of things in those cars, the bills will run into lacs. Very easily. They are used ones. If you're ok and ready to spend that much, then it's your call. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Going through threads of those cars extensively will give you a better idea of what you'd be getting yourself into. That said, if things were that easy, everyone would have been driving around in beemers and Audi's and Honda would have shut shop and gone home with tail tucked in :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1506 (Post 4237034)
Hey guys, we have been looking at the 2017 City S Petrol, which is coming at around 9.7L OTR in Kolkata. The price was attractive for the features and comfort on offer.

The S misses rear AC vents and steering controls, but paying 1L more for the SV doesnt make any sense to me, so this is all right.

However, a bit of research also led us to some great pre-owned cars. These are some of the models I found
1. BMW 320d / 325i 2009-2011 (multiple models, roughly 8 to 11L)
2. Audi A4 2.0 TDI / 1.8 TFSI 2011 (~10.5L)
3. Hyundai Sonata Top Model 2013 (~8.5L)
4. VW Jetta Highline TDI 2013 (~5.9L)

And all of a sudden, the City is not seeming that attractive anymore stupid:

Does it make sense to get a pre-owned car at this range, or should we just consider the City.
I understand the BMW and Audi will costlier to maintain, but exactly how much is the question. Also, any known issues or failures on those generation of cars.

Now, the really attractive option is the Jetta. It is pristine, low mileage and the price is excellent. Any idea about that too would be helpful.

It's not just rear ac vents and Steering mounted controls but also ACC and cruise control. However, I am surprised the ex-showroom price of the City VMT in Kolkata is 60k more than that in Bangalore. Here the City V is below 10L (30k difference from SV). Maybe you should buy a car outside Kolkata on temporary registration and then get it registered in Kolkata, specially if you buying by cash.

Coming to the other cars, like already mentioned, the maintenance costs will be huge. It's easy to buy them but do realize when you are changing parts, you will be doing that for a 30-40L car and not 11L one. You won't have warranty because they are already 6 years old. Also depends on how long are you planning to keep them, since resale falls drastically on these cars and there are very few takers. Unless you have loads of cash aside to spend on them it doesn't seem like a great idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 4237050)
Because, to cut things short, if you happen to have to repair any kind of things in those cars, the bills will run into lacs. Very easily.

I've been looking around, and yeah, it seems an average of 1 lac per service, leading to approx 2 lac per year seems to be the norm. Its not impossible for us, but definitely not something we would like to plonk to maintain a 6 year old model. agree:

However, I am planning on checking out the Jetta extensively. It's maintenance costs should not be that high, and the asking price (before negotiation) is quite low too. I don't have a good feeling about this either, the price doesnt look right.

Thanks for the help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4237179)
Maybe you should buy a car outside Kolkata on temporary registration and then get it registered in Kolkata, specially if you buying by cash.

Too much hassle for too little profit IMO. I'd rather pay the small difference and get it directly from Kolkata

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4236828)
Glue in rubber beading ? There is no glue AFAIK. It just slots into place. Please ask them to show what they are talking about. Is your car in warranty ? Shouldn't this be sorted in warranty ?

Having visited the workshop they have informed me that the inner plastic lining of the door (which is just a very flimsy material plastic) had to be replaced as build up of dirt in the drained holes had made the adhesive that holds it weak.

Now i have owned multiple cars and even have 3 other cars at home that at parked in the similar spot both at home and in office and no other car has faced such an issue. I really don't buy Honda's explanation, and after many emails they are providing a 15% discount.

The thing is it's not a big amount but still i find it unacceptable that a less than a 3 year old car develop such a problem. Add to that they are charging me as much as replacing the plastic lining (pictures attached) as drying the mats.

I am wondering how i should take it forward

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-1.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-2.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-3.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishaanranderia (Post 4238049)
Having visited the workshop they have informed me that the inner plastic lining of the door (which is just a very flimsy material plastic) had to be replaced as build up of dirt in the drained holes had made the adhesive that holds it weak.
Now i have owned multiple cars and even have 3 other cars at home that at parked in the similar spot both at home and in office and no other car has faced such an issue. I really don't buy Honda's explanation, and after many emails they are providing a 15% discount.
The thing is it's not a big amount but still i find it unacceptable that a less than a 3 year old car develop such a problem. Add to that they are charging me as much as replacing the plastic lining (pictures attached) as drying the mats.

You mean that transparent plastic material ? Are they kidding ? My esteem never had them also in the later years. And that does not matter. Water seeps through the window beadings and these donot affect it.

Please take back the car. Just clean the drain holes below the door and get the carpets cleaned by a fng. This is not Honda fault. It has happen if the car takes a lot of water, it will seep through and because of dust it forms muck and blocks the holes. But again that would have water stagnent in the door and make swishing noise. Why inside the car.
Please check the rubber beading below the door. If that is there or not. Also check Ac drain pipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4238525)
You mean that transparent plastic material ? Are they kidding ? My esteem never had them also in the later years. And that does not matter. Water seeps through the window beadings and these donot affect it.

Please take back the car. Just clean the drain holes below the door and get the carpets cleaned by a fng. This is not Honda fault. It has happen if the car takes a lot of water, it will seep through and because of dust it forms muck and blocks the holes. But again that would have water stagnent in the door and make swishing noise. Why inside the car.
Please check the rubber beading below the door. If that is there or not. Also check Ac drain pipe.

I am taking the car back today, though they have already changed the plastic lining so have to pay for it.
Though you are right there was no water swishing sound from the door. I am going to check it the next few days.
Thanks a lot

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4236219)
With Auto climate control off and AC OFF and fresh air mode (green light)

Earlier (until a week back):
Touching the AC to ON would automatically cause it to switch to Re-circulate mode (orange light)
and touch the AC to OFF and the light would change back from orange to green (recirculate to fresh)

Have anyone faced the same behavior?

Yes, I also have similar problem.
But I am not worried as it does not look that serious , and it happens randomly and then disappears.
I will raise this with ASS in next service. I also have recording of the same : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YAF...ature=youtu.be

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishaanranderia (Post 4238049)

I am facing the exact same issue since purchase of my 2014 City - and it has repeated this year as well. They have quoted 160 for the plastic sheet and 800 for the so-called sealant / glue around the edges of the sheet. Solitaire Honda is my dealer. So far they did not have the sheet in stock so I have not had to pay - but water keeps seeping into the cabin since 2 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakv (Post 4238860)
I am facing the exact same issue since purchase of my 2014 City - and it has repeated this year as well. They have quoted 160 for the plastic sheet and 800 for the so-called sealant / glue around the edges of the sheet. Solitaire Honda is my dealer. So far they did not have the sheet in stock so I have not had to pay - but water keeps seeping into the cabin since 2 weeks.

I have taken my car back, let me update you in a few days to see if the problem persists. They charged me 5000 after a 15% discount on labour. Which included drying cost of 2400.

Hi, I have a City (P) SV. These come with 4 speakers on the door. But looks like the tweeter grills are there ahead of the inner door handles on all 4 doors. Any idea if tweeters can be fitted on these? Would the standard head unit be able to support them?

Coming from my fiesta, I find the sound system is not up to the mark. As I have opted for a 5 year extended warranty, I do not want to look at outside options or make extensive mods. So, will be restricting to what is on offer from the service center. Any thoughts on enhancing the sound (without breaking my warranty)? Is the equipment offered on the V and higher variant is good?

Nobody will care about the warranty if you don't cut or splice any wires when installing a new set of speakers, go ahead

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermiler (Post 4239045)
Hi, I have a City (P) SV. These come with 4 speakers on the door. But looks like the tweeter grills are there ahead of the inner door handles on all 4 doors. Any idea if tweeters can be fitted on these? Would the standard head unit be able to support them?

Coming from my fiesta, I find the sound system is not up to the mark. As I have opted for a 5 year extended warranty, I do not want to look at outside options or make extensive mods. So, will be restricting to what is on offer from the service center. Any thoughts on enhancing the sound (without breaking my warranty)? Is the equipment offered on the V and higher variant is good?

Well I have also got the Infiniti tweeters installed on the front doors of my City. None of the wires were cut. The wires of the tweeters were plugged into the existing connectors. Nothing else was done - no extra any circuit was put. If you get the tweeters done without any wire cut, then there will be no void of warranty terms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi (Post 4240804)
Well I have also got the Infiniti tweeters installed on the front doors of my City.

Great! I guess the Infiniti tweeters are not OEM components available at the dealer and needs to be sourced from elsewhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermiler (Post 4241151)
Great! I guess the Infiniti tweeters are not OEM components available at the dealer and needs to be sourced from elsewhere?

Yes. I bought from a local dealer in Faridabad. But the installation was completely clean and not even one wire was cut.