Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-384.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathik (Post 4250934)
Well, in Mumbai, the price difference is not so high. V MT is 10.58L whereas V CVT is 11.66L - so a difference of 1.08L only.

Are you sure? City petrol CVT is over 17L OTR in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor (Post 4254495)
Are you sure? City petrol CVT is over 17L OTR in Bangalore.

City CVT in ZX trim costs 17 lakhs. While V Manual is priced at 9.97 lakhs while the V CVT costs 11.65 lakhs. The difference amount of 1.68 lakhs is due to higher tax bracket for cars costing over 10 lakhs.

VX Manual is 11.80 lakhs, and VX CVT is 12.97 lakhs. All prices are ex-showroom Bangalore.

While On Road Prices are as follows,

V MT - 11.82 lakhs
V CVT - 14.28 lakhs
VX MT - 14.48 lakhs
VX CVT - 15.92 lakhs
ZX CVT - 16.73 lakhs

Don't know about Mumbai though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarguyNish (Post 4254500)
City CVT in ZX trim costs 17 lakhs. While V Manual is priced at 9.97 lakhs while the V CVT costs 11.65 lakhs. The difference amount of 1.68 lakhs is due to higher tax bracket for cars costing over 10 lakhs.

VX Manual is 11.80 lakhs, and VX CVT is 12.97 lakhs. All prices are ex-showroom Bangalore.

V MT - 11.82 lakhs
V CVT - 14.28 lakhs
VX MT - 14.48 lakhs
VX CVT - 15.92 lakhs
ZX CVT - 16.73 lakhs

That is crazy. For Mumbai OTR for V MT is close to 12L whereas V CVT post discount comes to about 13.3L which makes it nearly a Lakh cheaper than Bangalore

Quote:

V MT - 11.82 lakhs
V CVT - 14.28 lakhs
VX MT - 14.48 lakhs
VX CVT - 15.92 lakhs
ZX CVT - 16.73 lakhs

That's very helpful, thank you.

Now I wonder why anybody would buy a City Petrol CVT at 14.48 or 15.92 when you could buy a Vento TSI for 15.5? German, turbo charged and a DSG. But then, city is probably like Maruti cars. People just buy without knowing what are they buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathik (Post 4254524)
That is crazy. For Mumbai OTR for V MT is close to 12L whereas V CVT post discount comes to about 13.3L which makes it nearly a Lakh cheaper than Bangalore

That's because of higher tax on cars costing over 10 lakhs. The additional amount of 76k over Mumbai is due to same reason. So the V CVT is cheaper in Mumbai while V MT is cheaper in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor (Post 4254527)
That's very helpful, thank you.
Now I wonder why anybody would buy a City Petrol CVT at 14.48 or 15.92 when you could buy a Vento TSI for 15.5? German, turbo charged and a DSG. But then, city is probably like Muruti cars. People just buy without knowing what are they buying.

While it's debatable as to who would buy City over Vento & Vice-versa, one thing for sure is that, Customers look at Overall Package & Good After sales before plunging that Hard Earned Money on one. Here naturally the City scores over Vento & Rapid by a good margin. Even I asked my brother to buy City instead of Vento & Rapid due to poor ASS.

This is more important to general public compared to how Advance that TSI engine & DSG gearbox are.

My experience with VW & Skoda ASS has been average & more importantly not confidence inspiring, hence I won't look at those brands unles s they reach the desired levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4254120)
The comparison here is between an MUV and a sedan. There is simply no match, a sedan wins hands down wrt., comfort factor (be it the City or any other C2 segment sedan for that matter).
There is no doubt that the Innova is the best and most comfortable MUV in our market, but there will always be that "van like feeling" and its comfort level would be definitely lesser than the levels found in a proper sedan. The same holds good if you compare a sedan to any SUV, a sedan by design offers the best comfort levels compared to any other class of vehicles.

@for_cars1, Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I have always done my trips in sedan, so wanted to know if something like an innova would be better or worse.

Has anyone replaced the Headlights on the City with LED Lights? I was going thru some options and came across the "Philips X-treme Ultinon LED".

Link here: URL

Would the above model be suitable for the 2014 iDTEC City? and does anyone have any experience with these bulbs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4255601)
Has anyone replaced the Headlights on the City with LED Lights? I was going thru some options and came across the "Philips X-treme Ultinon LED".

Link here: URL

Would the above model be suitable for the 2014 iDTEC City? and does anyone have any experience with these bulbs?

Ultinons are not available in the required specifications for the Honda City last time I checked.

Quote:

City CVT in ZX trim costs 17 lakhs.
V MT - 11.82 lakhs
V CVT - 14.28 lakhs
VX MT - 14.48 lakhs
VX CVT - 15.92 lakhs
ZX CVT - 16.73 lakhs

17 lakhs for a Honda City CVT is way too much IMHO. C segment crossing over into D segment territory. With this kind of pricing, I would rather put my money on D segment cars/SUVs. Suddenly, the international best seller and one of the most trustworthy cars in the world, the Corolla Altis makes more sense to me, Hexa looks like a VFM product and Jeep Compass seems like a killer deal, compared to City CVT.

I know this is very much like comparing apples to oranges, but still for me, City loses the competition in the price war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute (Post 4255835)
the Corolla Altis makes more sense to me, Hexa looks like a VFM product and Jeep Compass seems like a killer deal, compared to City CVT.

Different Segment apart. The City is way cheaper then all the cars you have mentioned.

City ZX costs 13.64 lakhs, while Corolla Altis Starts from 16.64 lakhs. The Top Spec VL AT costs 18.91 lakhs. The much hyped Jeep Compass AT is priced at 19.40 lakhs. The only 7 Seater here, Tata Hexa is well priced though at 16.26 lakhs.

So, you can see that it's the cheapest among those. And not to forget it does what others do at significantly lesser price. Also, let's not forget the City is way more spacious and better loaded then Jeep Compass. The Corolla offers good levels of comfort but the base G AT doesn't offer as much equipment as City ZX.

So, if you consider all these things, it's the City which is more VFM compared to Corolla & Significantly more then Compass.

My 2012 Honda City has pretty low runs, say 100-200 kms in a month or so. So, let’s assume my car covers a maximum of 3000-4000kms annually. The CITY manual suggests a 6 month oil change interval, should I go for the same? I believe I should change the filter (oil and fuel), and not the engine oil. Will it be okay if I use the same OEM engine oil (mineral) for a full year? Will the oil go bad; lose its properties in a year, in a sparsely used car like mine? I was planning to go for synthetic oil, but it doesn’t make sense. What do you guys suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 4256077)
My 2012 Honda City has pretty low runs, say 100-200 kms in a month or so. The CITY manual suggests a 6 month oil change interval, should I go for the same? I was planning to go for synthetic oil, but it doesn’t make sense. What do you guys suggest?

I had a similar situation at my last service where my 2014 City had done less than 5k at the six monthly service. Since I had used synthetic oil in in the last service and the recommended service interval is 6m/ 10k, my service advisor asked not to change oil or filter and do the other general services and check up which costed me Rs.1800 including GST.

^^^

Once the car is out of warranty, I believe and follow only KiloMeters as a criteria for changing engine oil.

I have been following this rule in our all cars/bikes since last 16 years or so and never faced any issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 4256246)
^^^

Once the car is out of warranty, I believe and follow only KiloMeters as a criteria for changing engine oil.

I believe in the same too. However, the vehicle should run on a regular basis, even though it covers less kilometers. Just thought to inquire and get second opinion(s). Didn't want to ruin the sweet iVTEC in any way. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 4256077)
The CITY manual suggests a 6 month oil change interval, should I go for the same? ... Will it be okay if I use the same OEM engine oil (mineral) for a full year? Will the oil go bad; lose its properties in a year

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 4256248)
Just thought to inquire and get second opinion(s).

The combustion process creates contaminants and moisture build up in the oil that can corrode the engine and shorten its life if the oil change is delayed for high running cars.

If the car is covering the stipulated 10K KM the every 6 months, then its a no-brainer, the oil change has to be done every 6 months or even less than 6 months if they have crossed the stipulated KMs earlier.

For folks who run their car lesser, say can postpone the oil change upto a max of 1 year or 10 K KMs (or manufacturer stipulated KMs between oil change) which ever is reached first. This is the general rule of thumb for mineral oil changes. The same applies to Synthetic oils as well more or less, synthetic oils will have a slightly higher resistance to contamination.
A technician at the Honda service also mentioned a couple of years back that once a year oil change should be good enough for low running cars.