Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-388.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSH (Post 4279578)
The City would be my pick from the above.

So on this note wanted to ask you a question, why aren't you considering the top variants of the City ?

Does the V variant come under 10 lakhs ex-showroom in Pune (MH 12) to get the tax benefit ? If not then the difference in price between V and VX will be less compared to other states and will be worth the upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback :)
My profile location wasn’t updated. I stay in Bengaluru now where Honda has kept the V variant at 9.99 lakh ex-showroom to avoid the extra taxes.

The VX costs 14.8 lakh. For the additional 3 lakh you get the following over the V-

I prefer fabric seats and don’t see much use of the sunroof, so the jump up to VX isn’t very lucrative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverfire (Post 4279618)
My profile location wasn’t updated. I stay in Bengaluru now where Honda has kept the V variant at 9.99 lakh ex-showroom to avoid the extra taxes.

The VX costs 14.8 lakh.

Yes, then the V MT makes more sense. A lot of bangalore teamBHPians have chosen the V variant for the same reasons.

In Maharashtra the ex-showroom price exceeds 10 lakhs so the difference in OTR prices is lesser between the V and VX/ZX so I see a lot of VX/ZX variants here in Mumbai.

Another good thing about owning the City is that you can be least worried about service, Honda aftersales is quite sorted and you never have to wait for spares. Even if you keep your cars for long, you will always get the needed parts, I still get parts for my 10 year old 2nd gen City within 2-3 days without any fuss from the service center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4277834)
Sakthi Prasad S shares the following complaint

I have a 2016 VX and I have faced this issue. Though in my case, I didn't have so much insulation foam coming onto the sunroof cover. My case was much less severe. I slid the cover in and out about 15 - 20 times and vacuumed the foam off the cover. I no longer face this issue. This is possibly just the insulation foam that becomes stuck on the sunroof cover, when the cover is opened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4278163)
Not even one year of this car and I see this. Remedy? :Frustrati

I only face this issue during very humid weather, especially during monsoons. I had the bulbs changed when I bought my car, so I'm guessing the installer hasn't sealed the headlamp units properly. Check the seals where the bulb is inserted into the headlamp unit for any leaks. If no leaks are found, take this matter up with the dealer. They should replace it FOC since your car is under warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverfire (Post 4279618)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Sorry for the late feedback from my side.

I own a 2014 VX CVT which at that point of time was around 12.6 lakhs on road including everything (bumper to bumper insurance, 4 year warranty etc.).

Comparison to Creta, I would say both City and Creta has its own pros and cons. The higher GC and sitting high in Creta would definitely give you a better view of the surroundings. Sunroof is missing in Creta although it is passable in daily drives. However, when you go to some vacation spots especially hill stations, sunroof is gonna be a wow factor.

If you don't want to really spend 3 lakhs more then City is the one to go for. However, I suggest to have a test drive of both vehicles before coming to a final decision.

Personally, I chose City because I wanted an Automatic Car and at that point of time City was the best bet. Had Creta been available, my choice may have been different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverfire (Post 4279470)

What would you guys suggest?

While Creta is a wonderful car to drive, but on the basis of your requirements, I too will suggest you to go for Honda City.

Creta will be a better bet if you plan to take it to places where high ground clearance is required. For most city use and plane highway rides, City is simply the best.

And the difference of 3 lacs between the two cars is quite significant. You can use this 3 lacs for City's insurance, maintenance and fuel for several years I believe!

Hello everyone, sorry for not posting for a long time. I have a 2015 petrol Honda city and I've been getting very low fuel efficiency nowadays. The car has always been serviced on time and at the authorized service station. I have been getting just 7 to 7.5 Km/lit in the last 3-4 cycles. Earlier i used to get around 9. Please suggest where the problem might be. My car was serviced around 5 months ago and the running is around 20 Km/day. Since August, the manufacturer the warranty is over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 4283027)
Hello everyone, sorry for not posting for a long time. I have a 2015 petrol Honda city and I've been getting very low fuel efficiency nowadays. The car has always been serviced on time and at the authorized service station. I have been getting just 7 to 7.5 Km/lit in the last 3-4 cycles. Earlier i used to get around 9. Please suggest where the problem might be. My car was serviced around 5 months ago and the running is around 20 Km/day. Since August, the manufacturer the warranty is over.

I think getting a single digit fuel economy even in city driving conditions is pretty low at first place. Getting it down by another ~2 kmpl is definite issue. Consistent fuel economy is a good indicator of well being of a car (engine and drive) and it sure needs to be tracked for the same sake. Would suggest to get it checked at ASS for the specific issue.

Quote:

a 2015 petrol Honda city and I've been getting very low fuel efficiency nowadays.

Have you tried using a different fuel pump for petrol?

If the issue still persists, then please take it to Honda SVC.

Quote:

....2015 petrol Honda city and I've been getting very low fuel efficiency.. has always been serviced on time... getting just 7 to 7.5 Km/lit .... the running is around 20 Km/day.

Apart from trying a different renowned petrol bunk to rule out adulterated fuel, please try the following:
  1. Do not fill premium petrol, what is marketed as premium petrol is just the normal gasolene laced with additives. Irrespective of whatever marketing gimmick is used to sell this as premium fuel, these additives can be harmful to the engine in the long run and may also clog the fuel injectors. The engine is designed by the manufacturer to run with normal petrol, please stick to normal petrol.
  2. Check the wheel alignment at an independent center where they have proper facilities. Thankfully the 4th gen City has only Toe adjustment of the front wheel, there is no Camber and Castor adjustment. Often improperly aligned wheels can reduce fuel efficiency and also wear out the tyres prematurely. Always get wheels balanced and aligned every 10 to 12 K Kms at an independent tyre center.
  3. Since your car is regularly serviced at A.S.S, it is expected that the wear&tear parts/fluid consumable replacements are being done as per schedule. Pull out the dipstick in the engine bay and check the state of the engine oil, shouldn't be too black and sticky. Next time it is taken for service, preferrably a different authorized center, switch to the synthetic engine oil which Honda now sells for the Petrol City, cost difference is not much.
  4. I presume most of your day to day running is bumper to bumper and the distance is quite short. Such cycles are unhealthy for the engine as there is not much scope for it to open up and operate at its optimum thermal efficiency. Get the fuel injectors and spark plugs checked during the oncoming service. Take it for a spin regularly on highways to keep it free running and unclogged.
  5. Are you observing any clutch slippage? A slipping clutch can also bring down the mileage, please get it checked during the service as well.

With all the above above checks, your FE should hopefully be back to normal:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4283368)
Apart from trying a different renowned petrol bunk to rule out adulterated fuel, please try the following:
  1. Do not fill premium petrol, what is marketed as premium petrol is just the normal gasolene laced with additives. Irrespective of whatever marketing gimmick is used to sell this as premium fuel, these additives can be harmful to the engine in the long run and may also clog the fuel injectors. The engine is designed by the manufacturer to run with normal petrol, please stick to normal petrol.
  2. Check the wheel alignment at an independent center where they have proper facilities. Thankfully the 4th gen City has only Toe adjustment of the front wheel, there is no Camber and Castor adjustment. Often improperly aligned wheels can reduce fuel efficiency and also wear out the tyres prematurely. Always get wheels balanced and aligned every 10 to 12 K Kms at an independent tyre center.
  3. Since your car is regularly serviced at A.S.S, it is expected that the wear&tear parts/fluid consumable replacements are being done as per schedule. Pull out the dipstick in the engine bay and check the state of the engine oil, shouldn't be too black and sticky. Next time it is taken for service, preferrably a different authorized center, switch to the synthetic engine oil which Honda now sells for the Petrol City, cost difference is not much.
  4. I presume most of your day to day running is bumper to bumper and the distance is quite short. Such cycles are unhealthy for the engine as there is not much scope for it to open up and operate at its optimum thermal efficiency. Get the fuel injectors and spark plugs checked during the oncoming service. Take it for a spin regularly on highways to keep it free running and unclogged.
  5. Are you observing any clutch slippage? A slipping clutch can also bring down the mileage, please get it checked during the service as well.

With all the above above checks, your FE should hopefully be back to normal:thumbs up

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

* I don't use premium fuel but I have used Liqui Moly injector cleaner twice in the fuel. But that was quite a while back and the effect seemed to last only for 1 tank. I hope this hasn't caused any permanent damage. I've been filling up at the same pump for the last 2 years and the mileage displayed on the car's computer matches my calculations so there isn't any shady stuff going on at the pump. However, I wonder if the fuel quality at the pump itself has degraded.
* I got my wheel alignment done from an independent tyre shop - Saifee tyres around 6 months ago. The car has only done about 10000 Km so far. I've not yet done balancing yet but somehow I don't think the wheels are the culprit
* During the previous servicing 5 months ago, synthetic oil was filled- there's apparently no choice anymore at my service station and mineral oil isn't available any longer. I checked the levels recently and they were normal. But I remember the ASC charged me quite a lot more than the rate specified on the Honda website for the oil change.
* I hope the injectors and spark plugs haven't really developed issues in less than 10000 km :eek: My daily run is in dense city traffic, but it's actually much smoother than it was earlier and takes less time. But the mileage was much higher earlier. Still will ask them to check these things too.
* I'm reasonably sure the clutch isn't slipping. I assume you mean that the rpm would increase without proportionate increase in speed, which is not happening. The gearbox however is horrible in my car from day 1 and complained about it at every servicing during my warranty but Honda's only response every time was 'clutch bleeding' which didn't make any difference. Also, the car accelerates quite strongly in 1st and 2nd gears without pressing the accelerator at low speeds to the extent that i need to press the brakes to slow down the auto acceleration (again, I complained about this too but Honda claims it's normal). The gearbox is really hard & rough and changing gears is like a wrestling match and also the car jerks a bit once the gears are changed. Both these problems existed since day 1; however this was not impacting the mileage earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 4283383)
Also, the car accelerates quite strongly in 1st and 2nd gears without pressing the accelerator at low speeds to the extent that i need to press the brakes to slow down the auto acceleration (again, I complained about this too but Honda claims it's normal). The gearbox is really hard & rough and changing gears is like a wrestling match and also the car jerks a bit once the gears are changed. Both these problems existed since day 1; however this was not impacting the mileage earlier.

Hi Mxh,

The above quoted behaviour in your post makes me think that the idling in your car is on the higher side.

If thats the case then it would obviously wear the clutch and will lead to poor fuel efficiency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselTorq (Post 4283805)
Hi Mxh,

The above quoted behaviour in your post makes me think that the idling in your car is on the higher side.

If thats the case then it would obviously wear the clutch and will lead to poor fuel efficiency.

I think the above comment is very much valid.

One other important thing is about the Air Filter. If the Air Filter is too clogged that can lead to reduced FE. Air Filter and it's canister cleaning is an easy DIY job. However, please make sure you are doing it right.

Iv been getting comparatively low mileage of 9-10 in the city and 12-13kmpl on the highway but mine is a automatic petrol.its completed 8k Kms now but the mileage is low as always..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugsrags (Post 4284087)
Iv been getting comparatively low mileage of 9-10 in the city and 12-13kmpl on the highway but mine is a automatic petrol.its completed 8k Kms now but the mileage is low as always..

The FE is as expected if your drive mostly includes bumper to bumper traffic in City and a congested highway driving.

If that's not the case, then there should be a problem. Have a full check up at the service center.

Hi all, mine is 2014 V MT and last month I changed 2 tyres (after 27.5K kms) at a 3rd party tyre vendor and during that time he did wheel alignment but the steering alignment went for a toss. If i keep the steering wheeel centered the car would drift right. I took it back to him but he said as per the machine/computer the alignment is correct. I then gave the car to Capital Honda at OMR (Chennai) but strangely even after 4 separate attempts over 2 weeks the alignment issue is not fixed. I kept sending the car back but always returned unresolved. Even the center manager took personal interest but no luck. By the way the car was always serviced at Capital Honda. During their last attempt the tilt has reduced a bit but still very much there. Any idea what could be done? Or what could be wrong?
Note: The car has warranty until may 2018