Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-393.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvijayakrishnan (Post 4300474)
I own Honda City V 2016 petrol manual. There is no such button/switch to sync with lock/unlock. There is only the button next to mirror selector, which if pressed the mirror closes and if released the mirror opens. This is shown in purple in the original pic. There is nothing in the area marked green. Sorry, I couldn't post the pic of the button layout as I am yet to cross the threshold level in member privileges to attach pics.

The auto button in V variant is there in the 2017 models. The previous iteration had it in the Vx variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkothak (Post 4296455)
Today my brother had a long test drive with Service advisor and the SA also confirmed that there is an issue with cruise control. Now the car is at Brigade Honda service center at Bangalore. This time they have observed cruise control issue after driving for 20 kms. I will post if they suggest something on this issue.

I just wanted to check with everyone in this thread one more time. Has anyone faced this cruise control issue with your Honda City?

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to give an update regarding the Cruise control issue which my brother's Honda City is facing. It seems they figured out the exact issue now.

On last Sunday (5th November), the Brigade Honda's Service GM wanted to do a test drive and observe the issue, because the lower staff did not understand what the exact problem. We don't blame them, as some of the Sr.technicians were assuming that the button on the steering wheel 'Res' means, 'Reset'. With that my brother understood that many of the technicians in that workshop don't know how to operate the cruise control properly. So, my brother frustrated and called the GM and showed his frustration in his words. And then GM decided to look at the problem personally, hence he invited my brother on Sunday morning to go for a long drive to observe the Cruise Control issue.

After they travelled for 40kms, the problem started and GM realized that this could be a big issue and he admitted that he doesn't know how to fix it. Along with that he also realized that none of his staff did not try anything to understand the problem properly. Good at least he knows now.

The GM made some calls to many Technical Experts in Chennai and Bangalore. Finally one of the Technical Experts from White Field Honda addressed the issue and he started explaining symptoms and the root cause as they encountered a similar issue in one of the Honda City few months back. And it took 18 days for them to find out the exact root cause. He immediately sent the documentation on how to fix this Cruise Control issue. Here I am giving you the Root Cause and the recommendations which we received from that Expert. As the documentation is huge and little Technical, I am trying to summarize it in simple terms which you can understand...if I am still confusing you, please excuse me. As it is from Honda documentation, I am little hesitant to post the entire details here...

Root Cause: Clutch Fitment issue, causing clutch slippage sometimes, thus causing Cruise getting cancelled with Cruise Cancel Code $0400.

Due to clutch slippage, there would be a variation in the Engine speed and Vehicle overall speed. As the ECU controls Vehicle Speed, Engine Speed, Throttle opening etc during Cruise Control mode, any sudden variation in Engine speed (increased) & Vehicle Speed (reduced) - The ECM would relate it to Clutch being pressed. As a result the ECM would cancel the Cruise Mode.

Recommendation: For any similar case, please inspect Clutch plate, Flywheel dimension and fitment as per shop manual.

I hope with the root cause details, you can relate why the speed is getting dropped suddenly. They are now replacing Clutch plates, pressure plates. Tomorrow once they complete these replacements, they are going to have one more long drive to observe this issue.

This is for present, rest in next.....

I have done my 70,000 kms (42nd month) service yesterday with my odo reading at 38,450 kms.

Engine oil and filter was not changed since the car had run only 6000 kms from the last oil change. SA informed I can change once 10,000 kms is done.

Replaced wiper blades. Switched back to Honda genuine wiper blades from Bosch. Not finding any real advantage in Bosch on a long run. Whatever be the wiper blade brand, needs to be replaced every 6 months.

Amount came to 1770 for Service charges and wiper blades. With 28% GST the total amount came to 2611.

Need an advice from you guys:

My 4 year car warranty is due to expire on 30 May 2018 and I can renew it any time between April 2018 and 30 May 2018. The amount for renewing warranty for 1 year is 8317.

SA informed it's not really required since Honda Petrol cars would not face any engine or gearbox issues. However, since mine is a CVT I do not want to take chances although SA informed there are many CVT cars which have run past 80000 kms without any trouble.

Would like to know your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4301039)
My 4 year car warranty is due to expire on 30 May 2018 and I can renew it any time between April 2018 and 30 May 2018. The amount for renewing warranty for 1 year is 8317.

I am in the same situation with a manual petrol. I have decided to go for it as and when the time comes (mine is in March 2018). Better to have peace of mind for a small amount.

In fact, I have opted for the same 5th year extended warranty for my Dzire as well.

Related thread here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4301039)
Would like to know your opinions. Thanks in advance.

I feel it is always good practice to get Extended Warranty for as long as you are offered; especially if you intend to keep the car that long.

For our '10 City, we took coverage all the way until 7 years, the maximum Honda offered.

Came in handy when a couple of things went bust: the right power window bracket and the horn. Replaced them a few weeks before the car completed 7 years.

Hi Folks,

I drive a 2016 i-vtec, V-MT variant with 23000 kms on the odo. I have been hearing the grinding noise from the engine bay and it gets louder when the AC is on. This noise is not heard inside the cabin. I have been facing this since the last 3 months, however since the drives were smooth, i never took it seriously. stupid: I reported the same to Arya Honda, Kalina today. I also told the service advisor that similar issues have been reported online on various forums and if it is the alternator belt issue, it should be replaced under warranty since this seems to be a manufacturing defect. To that, he said he will check, however, alternator belt is not covered under the warranty and that i will have to bear the cost. My car is at the workshop and i will keep this thread posted on the development. To my surprise, my car was serviced by Link way Honda couple of months back and this issue was not highlighted by them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4304367)
Hi Folks,

I also told the service advisor that similar issues have been reported online on various forums and if it is the alternator belt issue, it should be replaced under warranty since this seems to be a manufacturing defect. To that, he said he will check, however, alternator belt is not covered under the warranty and that i will have to bear the cost.

I had the alternator belt replaced free of cost during the initial period, if I remember correctly probably after the first free service. However, Honda charged back the amount back to the dealer stating that instead of replacing tightening should have done first which would fix the issue. I wasn't charged though.

Recently the sound came back again and it was occurring only frequently. Informed the same last week when I took for service, and it was tightened. No sounds heard so far. I was told that if the sound comes back again, they will work on it. No charges for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4304400)

Recently the sound came back again and it was occurring only frequently. Informed the same last week when I took for service, and it was tightened. No sounds heard so far. I was told that if the sound comes back again, they will work on it. No charges for this.

This seems to be a permanent flaw if this keeps coming up often even after change of the alternator belt. Any idea on the cost of the alternator belt if at all i might have to bear the cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4304485)
This seems to be a permanent flaw if this keeps coming up often even after change of the alternator belt. Any idea on the cost of the alternator belt if at all i might have to bear the cost?

I don't think it's a permanent issue. For me it occurred only 3 years after the first instance.

Even if you replace the alternator belt, the issue can come up. Instead of telling to replace, ask them to fix the issue (leave it to them how they want to fix). You need not pay for this. If they insist on payment inform Honda customer care and take to another dealer.

Ever since the posts regarding the 2014 model belt-gate started, if you may call it that, there were numerous mentions of the problem but I didn't come across anyone pinpointing the exact component causing the issue. Did I miss something?

As far as I know, the belt in itself can't solely be the cause. Either the tensioner bearing or compressor pulley or some other moving component/s usually cause these sounds. But new cars having the issue is astounding, that too in a Honda. What am I missing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 4305525)
Ever since the posts regarding the 2014 model belt-gate started, if you may call it that, there were numerous mentions of the problem but I didn't come across anyone pinpointing the exact component causing the issue. Did I miss something?

As far as I know, the belt in itself can't solely be the cause. Either the tensioner bearing or compressor pulley or some other moving component/s usually cause these sounds. But new cars having the issue is astounding, that too in a Honda. What am I missing?

You did not miss anything. There has been no solution to it yet. I have reported the issue to the ASC at least 4-5 times. The sound goes for a while and comes back.

I have ignored the issue as its not hampering the performance of the car neither is it increasing. In fact, on a few occasions, it goes away itself only to return later. lol:

Down 47K Kms till now with 42 Months / 70K Kms Servicing done last week. Hoping that I get some time to compile a long term ownership report as I hit the 50K Kms. mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 4307259)
There has been no solution to it yet. I have reported the issue to the ASC at least 4-5 times. The sound goes for a while and comes back.

Has anyone even thought of showing the car to a FNG just to at least try to get a second opinion on the gremlin? Because as far as I know, most mechanics at the ASS only stick to their normal procedural workings when going about things and have very little interest in using their own grey matter to fix stuff. Unless it gets really serious and parent company is involved in the mix. And even then, the most they're bound to do is a whole component/s replacement. Even if it's the whole engine, in some cases.

I've not heard the sound myself but if indeed it seems to be belt-related, someone should try a same size belt from maybe a different brand. Just might do it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 4307334)
Has anyone even thought of showing the car to a FNG just to at least try to get a second opinion on the gremlin? Because as far as I know, most mechanics at the ASS only stick to their normal procedural workings when going about things and have very little interest in using their own grey matter to fix stuff. Unless it gets really serious and parent company is involved in the mix. And even then, the most they're bound to do is a whole component/s replacement. Even if it's the whole engine, in some cases.

I've not heard the sound myself but if indeed it seems to be belt-related, someone should try a same size belt from maybe a different brand. Just might do it...

I doubt a rubber belt is the cause for the grinding noise.

I have seen one particular instance where the sound goes away every time. Whenever the engine bay is washed either during servicing or during detailing. With some moisture, the sound goes away. When the belt becomes dry, there is a tendency for the sound to come back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4304367)
Hi Folks,

I drive a 2016 i-vtec, V-MT variant with 23000 kms on the odo. I have been hearing the grinding noise from the engine bay and it gets louder when the AC is on. This noise is not heard inside the cabin. I have been facing this since the last 3 months, however since the drives were smooth, i never took it seriously. stupid: I reported the same to Arya Honda, Kalina today. I also told the service advisor that similar issues have been reported online on various forums and if it is the alternator belt issue, it should be replaced under warranty since this seems to be a manufacturing defect. To that, he said he will check, however, alternator belt is not covered under the warranty and that i will have to bear the cost. My car is at the workshop and i will keep this thread posted on the development. To my surprise, my car was serviced by Link way Honda couple of months back and this issue was not highlighted by them.

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the delay as i got busy at work. I was told that the Axil Back plate broken which was causing the noise and that it has been removed. The noise is gone. I hope that was the issue and nothing related to the alternator belt :Shockked: as i was assuming earlier. Arya Honda did not charge me. Please find the the below invoice for reference. Has anyone on the forum come across a similar issue

Hi All,

My honda city cvt just went for its 1st paid service of 20k kms even though it had clocked just 9800 kms. I find the service intervals of honda at 6 months or 10k kms a little less in terms of time.

Anyway under the miscellaneous charges they have charged auto pest control and which they say are not pest control charges rather they are charges for greasing of doors and caliper pins etc as told to me by the SA.

I'm attaching the invoice for the same too and i'v been told that because of GST Honda has given them the heading under which the greasing has to be charged which is this!

Apart from that I face a peculiar issue in my bluetooth connectivity. When on a call if i switch my lights on a peculiar disturbance starts which is not present with the lights off. The service centre has sent a video clip of the same to honda let's see what they diagnose since the service centre didn't have a solution to the issue.