Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-399.html)

I recently bought a 2017 V-CVT from the newest Honda dealer in Pune; perhaps the first Team-BHP member to do that. The car is decent enough, barring one major embarrassment. The so-called Digipad. So far I have tried to use four different USB flash drives, all without success. One of them shows nothing on the LCD. The other three report "Device Error" or some such. ALL of them play without issues in a 2016 facelift Brio and also an i10.

The other major irritation is, the Digipad takes almost a whole minute to boot after an engine start. Then it insists on showing a dire warning not to drive while fiddling at it. Nothing works (radio / BT) unless I dismiss that. Touch response is far from optimal. Changing bluetooth tracks from the steering controls takes a few seconds. USB lags? I wouldn't know. At least it remembers if I played the radio or the BT, and it remembers the BT track position. Small mercies.

Couldn't Honda keep the Gingerbread device in sleep mode instead of shutdown? That wouldn't be a big drain on the battery. Couldn't they have a message box for accepting terms and conditions (yes, I have read that warning. I will not drive while watching the ugly screen. I will not drink and drive..) that satisfied their lawyers and made the start of a drive less of a hassle? Apparently the US Civics/Accords flash that warning for several seconds, but then that goes away automatically. The Canadians however suffer the same as us.

I had gone through this forum and ownership reports on Team-BHP before buying the car, but if anybody has reported this, I must have missed that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaji (Post 4351032)
I recently bought a 2017 V-CVT from the newest Honda dealer in Pune; perhaps the first Team-BHP member to do that.
=========
I had gone through this forum and ownership reports on Team-BHP before buying the car, but if anybody has reported this, I must have missed that.

Hello Sir,
So sorry to hear about your experience with the DigiPad.

We own a Honda City CVT 2017 too.
While the DigiPad is not very responsive, we have not faced any of the issues you are facing right now.

• Regarding the USB, have you tried inserting the USB in both the USB slots?

•The warning screen, well it is extremely irritating, but nothing can be done about it. Only after you press the OK button does the music start playing. Till then, the system is just useless.

•The system shows the Honda symbol for a really long time.

•Touch response is really poor.

• You can try if this works:

Open the settings tab, scroll down and click on ‘reset’. This will completely reboot the system and you will be made to start afresh with the system.

Warning: All Data will be erased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prathiiik (Post 4351044)
Hello Sir,

• Regarding the USB, have you tried inserting the USB in both the USB slots?

Yes, tried each of the four USB drives in both slots. Nada. Will fish for more flash drives of various makes and see what works.

Will also try resetting, though I am not sure that will do any good. Possibly the Linux kernel underneath the Android is unable to find the driver for my flash drives. It could have been written for a limited set. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaji (Post 4351066)
Yes, tried each of the four USB drives in both slots. Nada. Will fish for more flash drives of various makes and see what works.

So fished out a 10-year old 500MB Transcend (that seemed huuuge at that time :) ) and also a no-name 16GB I bought last year. Without any expectation I tried both in the car today. And guess what! BOTH worked perfectly. Just like that. No rhyme or reason. The Transcend was FAT16, the other FAT32.

So, prospective buyers of City, the morale of the story is just keep trying till you hit the jackpot.

One more peeve I have here. NO bottle holder in the car :Frustrati

Got my City serviced over the weekend and the bill worked out to Rs.52xx. @ 11000+ kms now.
Air filter was changed and didn't have much to complain. Just a routine service.
Feel that the 6 months or 10000km service interval is too frequent for a modern vehicle and that too a petrol. Has to be 10000 or 12 months. Why change the engine oil when i hardly run 3-4000kms in 6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami.n (Post 4355140)
Got my City serviced over the weekend and the bill worked out to Rs.52xx. @ 11000+ kms now.

Feel that the 6 months or 10000km service interval is too frequent for a modern vehicle and that too a petrol. Has to be 10000 or 12 months. Why change the engine oil when i hardly run 3-4000kms in 6 months.

Hi Swami, I have been using Honda Synthetic oil now and as per the ASS recommendation don't need to change oil every 6 months if the car hasn't done 10k in the last 6 months. And the best part is that the synthetic oil costs just 200 Rs more than the standard oil.

The problem what I see from Honda ASC is that they are using different rating of Synthetic engine oils for different locations. I understand that temperatures vary across India, but I don't see that's the case. For e.g. Here in Bhubaneswar, where temperature soars to 45 degrees; Honda ASC recommends fully synthetic oil rating 0W20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorlover (Post 4355205)
Hi Swami, I have been using Honda Synthetic oil now and as per the ASS recommendation don't need to change oil every 6 months if the car hasn't done 10k in the last 6 months. And the best part is that the synthetic oil costs just 200 Rs more than the standard oil.

But my car ran only around 4k kms since last service and they insisted on changing oil. The good thing is that they did not try to push other unnecessary add-ons.
The experience was overall very satisfactory apart from the oil change.
But since I did not have anything to complain before service, I don't see any difference post service too.
My previous car Figo Diesel was 10k and yearly visit to the service. So every time after the service, there was a noticeable improvement in smoothness.

But anyways this iVtec is ever smooth regardless of the KMs covered 😀
Comparing with this iVtec, the Old Figo TDCi motor feels like that of a tractor. Sometimes I am not sure if the engine is idling or off until I notice the RPM😁

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaji (Post 4351032)
The other three report "Device Error" or some such.

This error shows up when the player is unable to read the USB data format. Try formatting the drive using a Windows machine to Fat 32 and all will be good.

Experienced this with my 2012 City and the above method worked a charm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaji (Post 4352599)
One more peeve I have here. NO bottle holder in the car :Frustrati

Didn't get this part. What size bottles are you talking about ?

I always have 1 liter bottles on both the front doors and during long trips on both the rear doors as well. There is provision for the same on all doors.

Guys
Need some help/suggestion here. I have given my City CVT for 2 yrs/40K service with Whitefield Honda this morning.

I have an estimate of 15,000/- covering the following.

- Replace Engine oil and filter
- Replace AC filter
- Wheel Balancing, Alignment and Rotation
- Injector cleaning
- AC vent cleaning
- Replace CVT oil
- Replace Brake pads [due to wear & tear, am running 28K on my ODO]
- Brakes Disc skimming
- Oil Damper [on warranty]

I guess, I am missing 1 or 2 that I got in my list to service/change.

I am told by the service advisor that all these are scheduled but for the brake pads. But, is this service cost of 15,000/- + taxes a normal/usual for 40K Kms service for Honda City? Oh man, if so, I would name this vehicle a "White Elephant"!

Prem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaviprem (Post 4356785)
Guys
Need some help/suggestion here. I have given my City CVT for 2 yrs/40K service with Whitefield Honda this morning.

- Injector cleaning
- AC vent cleaning

..But, is this service cost of 15,000/- + taxes a normal/usual for 40K Kms service for Honda City? Oh man, if so, I would name this vehicle a "White Elephant"!

Prem.

Why do you need the below
- Injector cleaning (1k)
- AC vent cleaning (2.5 k if entire ac service)

Are you facing any issues that these need to be done ?

Honda website shows it would cost you Rs 4679/- and its a normal service. Brake pads and skimming (5k approx), WAWB (1.5k approx) should be extra.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/Honda-...tOfMaintenance

Quote:

- Replace AC filter
- Injector cleaning
- AC vent cleaning
- Replace CVT oil
- Brakes Disc skimming

Wheel Balancing, Alignment and Rotation: Do from FNG instead of Honda and save a bomb. (Also, they never rotate the tires anyways, know this from personal experience)

Injector cleaning: Do only if recommended in service manual.

AC vent cleaning: is a useless add-on, don't get it done unless there is a foul smell or similar in the vents.

Replace CVT oil: Please check the owner's manual for CVT oil replacement schedule. This would be by and far the costliest item in the list above.

Brakes Disc skimming: Is the car shuddering during high speed braking? Feel the disc with your finger, does it feel uneven? Do the skimming only if you answer yes to both of above.

This should knock off some of the bill. Apart from this, the 20k, 40k, 60k... services are the more expensive ones with Honda City. They call it major service. All the other services should be under 5k for the most part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4356943)
Why do you need the below
- Injector cleaning (1k)
- AC vent cleaning (2.5 k if entire ac service)

Are you facing any issues that these need to be done ?

Honda website shows it would cost you Rs 4679/- and its a normal service. Brake pads and skimming (5k approx), WAWB (1.5k approx) should be extra.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/Honda-...tOfMaintenance

AC vent cleaning is only 750/- and I am OK with it.
Injector cleaning is in the schedule that I could see in a 3rd party website. My manual is in the car that I dont have right now!

Honda's service estimate is too misleading, I would say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunsangal (Post 4356964)
Wheel Balancing, Alignment and Rotation: Do from FNG instead of Honda and save a bomb. (Also, they never rotate the tires anyways, know this from personal experience)

..All the other services should be under 5k for the most part.

I get it on the Wheel balancing/alignment/rotation part. So far, they seem good. So, I trust them. I guess, they charge around 1,800. I dont know if its too much as compared to outside one's.

Injector cleaning - yes, part of schedule.

AC vent - I hope they do a good Job for 750/-

CVT oil - I too had the doubt of 1L or 2L ODO, But, I was wrong. Its every 2 years or 40K service.

Disc skimming - could that rough/uneven edges due to rusting?

Thanks guys, for the immediate responses. This is what makes TBHP an effective one!

Prem.

Quote:

Guys
Need some help/suggestion here.

Quote:

- Replace AC filter
These should be changed anyways after the service interval has lapsed. In the first point, the filter you mentioned will be air as well as oil filter i.e. 2 filters need changing. Skip the AC filter is you wish but that part won't be expensive as such.

Quote:

If they are charging 1800 rupees, do it at the service center itself. Decent shops outside charge around 1500 rupees for all of the above but if they mess up, you will have an off centre steering wheel and that will need to be opened up at the service center at an extra cost. So for 300 bucks the service center is a better bet as they will rectify their mistake (if any) for free.

Quote:

- Injector cleaning
Does our manual specify this ? Only do it if it's mentioned in the maintenance schedule, don't go by what 3rd party websites say.

Quote:

- AC vent cleaning
Waste of money. They will most probably just spray something from würth into your AC vents from outside. The actual cleaning of vents involves removing the AC vents from the dashboard and cleaning the ducts from inside, which is unlikely to be done for only 750 rupees.

Quote:

- Replace CVT oil
Change.

Quote:

- Brakes Disc skimming
I was told that the brake pads of the 4th generation City were of inferior quality, on purpose. Their service life is 35k-40k only but then they are cheaper than the brake pads of the 3rd generation whose service life was nearly 65k-70k. Brake discs need to be skimmed everytime you change your pads, even if there is no shuddering etc. Please remember that the discs can be skimmed only till a certain point, after that point the discs get too thin and need to be replaced. In general, skimming the disc two times is possible, third time you need to change after seeing the thickness of the discs.

Quote:

Just for my knowledge, what part is this ? Is it the plastic undercover of the engine bay ? If possible, please send a pic of this.