Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-403.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by interc00led (Post 4379844)
Can you check the manufacturing date of the tyres ?
16k kms for a 4yr old car looks a bit on the lower side. Why don't you check the service history at the nearest honda ASC ?
Check insurance records for any major claims and accident history.

I am not sure how to check the tyres manufacturing date. but they are not the Stock Tyres. The one on car are Yokohama S drive 205/55/R15 on Honda stock alloys. I dont have insurance details available and it has expired in Aug '2017. Tomorrow I am going to Honda Service center for evaluation. Hoping they would be able to throw some light. Iam surprised that they r using 205/55/R15 .... quiet wide tyres. Yesterday i did test drive... it was quiet smooth. but then i am driving a Car on Bangalore roads first time, so cant comment like regular drivers. One question - is 205/55/R15 a good choice on 4th gen City ?? I didnt see any one mentioning here on team bhp forum.

Also, last servicing of the car with Honda authorised service center is in Oct 2017, when meter reading is 14900kms. And was sold to second buyer, who didnt like the car after driving 1200 kms and wanted to go for SUV hence selling it off again. (this is based on my understanding from the dealer)

Has anyone here ever done a engine compression test on the 1.5 L L15Z1 i-VTEC SOHC I4 engine. My 2014 VX CVT City had one done and I got a reading of 240 psi even on all 4 cylinders.

The Honda tech tried to play this of as normal. However, from what I could gather the stock engine isn't supposed to be generating this much compression.

I've heard JDM B16 motors making that much compression but not the SOHC we have in our city's.

For reference the car has only run 40,000km.

My second guess is that it maybe a faulty gauge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_vijay12 (Post 4379915)
I am not sure how to check the tyres manufacturing date. but they are not the Stock Tyres.

All tyres have a manufacturing date irrespective of them being stock or an aftermarket fitment. It is very easy to decipher the date, click here to know how you can do it.

Quote:

I dont have insurance details available and it has expired in Aug '2017.
Does this mean that the car was sitting idle for over 7 months or was the car being driven around without a valid insurance ?

Quote:

Iam surprised that they r using 205/55/R15 .... quiet wide tyres.
Looking at the condition of the tyres, I think they were bought second hand or else before selling this car, the 1st owner has exchanged the lesser run OEM tyres with that of a vehicle he bought second hand which had these yokos fitted.

Quote:

Also, last servicing of the car with Honda authorised service center is in Oct 2017, when meter reading is 14900kms.
Things are not adding up; insurance expiring in August(details not available) but still the car goes for service in October ?

4 year old car with a low mileage, changing 2 owners ? Please be vigilant before paying up, check that the papers are all clear and there are no pending orders from the RTO. Regarding going to the service centre for the checkup, don't go to the same service centre where it was being serviced in the past, it is possible that some crook at the dealership may be hand in glove to hide the truth from you.

BTW, to transfer the car it is mandatory to have valid insurance, so negotiate the price keeping this in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSH (Post 4380015)
All tyres have a manufacturing date irrespective of them being stock or an aftermarket fitment. It is very easy to decipher the date, click here to know how you can do it.

Does this mean that the car was sitting idle for over 7 months or was the car being driven around without a valid insurance ?

Looking at the condition of the tyres, I think they were bought second hand or else before selling this car, the 1st owner has exchanged the lesser run OEM tyres with that of a vehicle he bought second hand which had these yokos fitted.

Things are not adding up; insurance expiring in August(details not available) but still the car goes for service in October ?

4 year old car with a low mileage, changing 2 owners ? Please be vigilant before paying up, check that the papers are all clear and there are no pending orders from the RTO. Regarding going to the service centre for the checkup, don't go to the same service centre where it was being serviced in the past, it is possible that some crook at the dealership may be hand in glove to hide the truth from you.

BTW, to transfer the car it is mandatory to have valid insurance, so negotiate the price keeping this in mind.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Appreciate it.

I spoke to the second owner yesterday as why he is selling the car with in 3 months of purchase. He said he liked it , so bought it without doing any background check as car is driving well and he spent 25k on cleaning and service. The car had an accident history from first owner which "Screwed" (word as used by the second owner :O) the second owner. So he exchanged the car at the local dealer. He attested that functionally car is very good. Even I found the car to be smooth. He also told me to check other cars in market as well, I might find some thing with clean history and hassle free. If i am keen on this car , he suggested me to check the history of the car and take a call. Also told me to bargain more with the dealer since i got to know about the accident of the car. Now I have to check the Service history and insurance claims on this vehicle apart from Bangalore police for NOC to be on safe side.

Can you folks advice if this is worth a shot from other members past experience of used cars purchase?

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_vijay12 (Post 4380254)
Thanks a lot for the advice. Appreciate it.

I spoke to the second owner yesterday as why he is selling the car with in 3 months of purchase. He said he liked it , so bought it without doing any background check as car is driving well and he spent 25k on cleaning and service. The car had an accident history from first owner which "Screwed" (word as used by the second owner :O) the second owner. So he exchanged the car at the local dealer. He attested that functionally car is very good. Even I found the car to be smooth. He also told me to check other cars in market as well, I might find some thing with clean history and hassle free. If i am keen on this car , he suggested me to check the history of the car and take a call. Also told me to bargain more with the dealer since i got to know about the accident of the car. Now I have to check the Service history and insurance claims on this vehicle apart from Bangalore police for NOC to be on safe side.

Can you folks advice if this is worth a shot from other members past experience of used cars purchase?

I'd say stay away from this car. No insurance and accidental history says something is fishy. 205section tyres are too wide for this car. Account 15-20k for insurance and another 20k for tyres. It Doesn't look like a good deal.

Run away from the car. I'll not even touch this car with a barge pole.

Quote:

The car had an accident history from first owner which "Screwed" (word as used by the second owner :O) the second owner. So he exchanged the car at the local dealer.

The above quoted part from your own post is the best answer the question asked by you.

Completely agree with what interc00led has suggested you.

Quote:

Please don't waste your time with this car? Even if the car wasn't 'screwed' why would you want to be a third owner at that price when you can easily get 1st owner cars at that price. Now with it's dark history it is a complete no no.

Also I would suggest to look at 2012 to 2014 cars. I think they were the best Citys built. They had a much better build, all necessary features and the issue of ground clearance sorted. For peace of mind Honda has anytime warranty upto 7 years. Buy a 5 year old example and invest a little more for the warranty. If anything is wrong with the car, it would definitely crop up in the first 6 months to a year and you will be able to sort it within warranty.

Please check the system's entry and see if this is what you wanted before placing an order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 4375049)
Guys, can anyone please share the part number for Honda City horn.

PART NUMBER : 38150TM0K01
PART NAME : HORN HIGH ASSY.

PART NUMBER : 38100TG2K01
PART NAME : HORN LOW ASSY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4376779)
I guess if I go to Showroom they will replace the entire unit which does not look necessary.

Only replace the mirror, it is available as a seperate part.

PART NUMBER : 76203T9CD01
PART NAME : MIRROR SUB ASSY. R. (R1300)

Hello everyone,

I was in the market to upgrade my 2010 i20 CRDI (ODO 102000) and was looking at the all new Honda City (2017-) as a potential contender. Over everything else I need a driver's car (a petrol sedan) that will put a smile on my face when I put the foot down and to this end it's the i-Vtec motor's popularity among enthusiasts that brought me to the Honda showroom. The TD went well and I love the smooth shifting transmission and the feel of the engine. However, I have certain doubts that need to be alleviated so I was hoping existing owners can fill me in.Thanks in advance for all your answers. :)
RR

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon (Post 4382361)
Do u think its better to wait for the Yaris (April end) before making a decision. The dealer says the free insurance cover offer is only available till the end of April.[*]Dealer: I am in talks with Infinity Honda, Gurgaon (Sohna Road). Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?[*]Initial talks: Dealer has verbally agreed to provide a PDI at their stockyard, is willing to waive the comprehensive cover for Honda Assure (Not the 0% depreciation component) and is asking for a booking amount of 51K. Your thoughts ?[/list]Thanks in advance for all your answers. :)
RR

You should definitely wait for the Yaris before finalising if you are not in a hurry. An offer ending this month (when it's not December to clear last year stock) is typical salesman talk to finalize a deal. Am pretty sure you will get the same discounts next month and maybe even more if the Yaris is priced well. Coming to the car the city ivtec is a great car and this facelift city does feel and look better than the original 4th generation city and is well loaded too. Head unit should not play a major role in your decision as over 10years that you plan to keep the car it's the first thing that will definitely become outdated no matter what you get today. You can upgrade it in the aftermarket after a few years. Even if you finalize the city next month waiting for the Yaris will save you from buyer's remorse and maybe even get you more discounts on the city.

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I was in the market to upgrade my 2010 i20 CRDI (ODO 102000) and was looking at the all new Honda City (2017-) as a potential contender. Over everything else I need a driver's car (a petrol sedan) that will put a smile on my face when I put the foot down and to this end it's the i-Vtec motor's popularity among enthusiasts that brought me to the Honda showroom.
  • Digipad: I have read about a number of issues with the unit including freezing and lag. Personally, I did observe that it took quite a while to boot up with the H logo. What are your views on this unit ?
  • Service: When I asked the SA, he said that the service intervals are 10K or 1 year. As far as I know, the Petrol version has an interval of 5K or 6 months. Which one is true? Also, what is the average cost of service.
  • Quality: The presence of niggles in the new breed of Honda cars is not a secret but has the quality improved over the pre-facelift generation? I do not want to end up with a leaking sunroof. I would love to hear your take on this. Are the niggles that bad ?
  • Competition:The dealer says the free insurance cover offer is only available till the end of April.
  • Initial talks: Dealer has verbally agreed to provide a PDI at their stockyard, is willing to waive the comprehensive cover for Honda Assure (Not the 0% depreciation component) and is asking for a booking amount of 51K. Your thoughts ?
Thanks in advance for all your answers. :)
RR

I believe, you are looking for a manual version. If you are not stuck with sedan and/or willing to cross shop, would strongly suggest you to take a drive of TATA Nexon. It would match all/most of your requirements plus a good utility vehicle at 60%-70% of the cost.

1. Digipad - Yes, even the Honda accessory guys are not happy with the 2017 facelift version in this regard. Mine is the 2015 model and no issue so far [2 years past].

2. Petrol City is of 6 months or 10K service interval. Its just insane to have such a short service interval that with 10K on ODO.

3. 2015 City VX CVT - No Sunroof issues. I am sure they sorted out this problem in early 2015.

4. I am surprised Honda City comes with free insurance and waive off comprehensive coverage. I think, you are referring to 2017 stock, not the 2018 one.

Prem.

Quote:

Over everything else I need a driver's car (a petrol sedan) that will put a smile on my face when I put the foot down and to this end it's the i-Vtec motor's popularity among enthusiasts that brought me to the Honda showroom.

The Honda City is still aces when it comes to driver satisfaction and peace of mind. No other car will better it. I don't think the Yaris will hold a candle to the City in terms of sheer performance.

Minor niggles aside(and nothing that leaves you stranded on the road), the car is sound. Nothing to worry about in this regard.

You have your car warranty if anything does go wrong with the Digi Pad. This should be the least of your problems.

10k is not bad for a service interval.

Since you mentioned the need for a "drivers car", you need to drive the VW Vento Tsi and Fiat Linea T Jet before you make a decision. I'd probably ignore the Fiat as it is a old product and not practical (Lack of space), however, do not ignore the VW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyotaFan (Post 4382369)
You should definitely wait for the Yaris before finalising if you are not in a hurry. Even if you finalize the city next month waiting for the Yaris will save you from buyer's remorse and maybe even get you more discounts on the city.

I am not in a hurry. Me and my Dad have tentatively decided on April end or May 1st week. Though I know, I probably won't go for the Yaris as the vtec is too tempting; I do agree with you that might even get me more discounts on the City so logically it makes more sense to wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaviprem (Post 4382400)
would strongly suggest you to take a drive of TATA Nexon. It would match all/most of your requirements plus a good utility vehicle at 60%-70% of the cost.
I am surprised Honda City comes with free insurance and waive off comprehensive coverage. I think, you are referring to 2017 stock, not the 2018 one.

I agree, Nexon is a very capable car. A friend recently bought it and I had the chance to see it inside out and I was surprised with the strides Tata has made in quality. However that being said, I am specifically looking for a petrol sedan.

I doubt that the stock would be 2017, it is already April. But this is a good reminder. I have clearly told the SA, if he wants a deal I will need to conduct a PDI before registration so any discrepancy should be caught then. As far as free insurance is concerned, I think manufacturers do provide these from time to time but as of now I am assuming it is just a tactic by the SA to close the deal ASAP. (May be because the Yaris is around the corner).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 4382408)
The Honda City is still aces when it comes to driver satisfaction and peace of mind. No other car will better it. I don't think the Yaris will hold a candle to the City in terms of sheer performance.

Minor niggles aside(and nothing that leaves you stranded on the road), the car is sound. Nothing to worry about in this regard.

You have your car warranty if anything does go wrong with the Digi Pad. This should be the least of your problems.

Since you mentioned the need for a "drivers car", you need to drive the VW Vento Tsi and Fiat Linea T Jet before you make a decision. I'd probably ignore the Fiat as it is a old product and not practical (Lack of space), however, do not ignore the VW.

Exactly! I am too biased toward the City right now to even consider the Yaris. The i-Vtec is a gem. I don't mind a few niggles (can live with a few rattles and squeaks - they can be taken care of) if the engine performance is great and the reliability is good. I just do not want something like falling rubber door beading or a leaking sun roof as was the case with the pre-facelift version. My thinking as of now is in line with what you have said. If there are any issues with the DigiPad, I can always get a replacement done under warranty. The touchscreen lag and long boot time is something that I would have to live with if I want the vtec. stupid: As far as the Vento is concerned, I can give it a try but I heard that it was about to be updated soon.

Quote:

Hello everyone,
However, I have certain doubts that need to be alleviated so I was hoping existing owners can fill me in.
  • Digipad: I have read about a number of issues with the unit including freezing and lag. Personally, I did observe that it took quite a while to boot up with the H logo. What are your views on this unit ?
  • Service: When I asked the SA, he said that the service intervals are 10K or 1 year. As far as I know, the Petrol version has an interval of 5K or 6 months. Which one is true? Also, what is the average cost of service.
  • Quality: The presence of niggles in the new breed of Honda cars is not a secret but has the quality improved over the pre-facelift generation? I do not want to end up with a leaking sunroof. I would love to hear your take on this. Are the niggles that bad ?
  • Competition: Verna is out of the question, I do not want to go for another Hyundai. So is the Ciaz, it's simply under powered and too sedate. I can wait for the Yaris but I don't think the Vtec would let me change my mind. That being said, I intend to keep this car for at least 10 years (i20 will be passed on to brother) so quality is a concern. Do u think its better to wait for the Yaris (April end) before making a decision. The dealer says the free insurance cover offer is only available till the end of April.
  • Dealer: I am in talks with Infinity Honda, Gurgaon (Sohna Road). Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?
  • Initial talks: Dealer has verbally agreed to provide a PDI at their stockyard, is willing to waive the comprehensive cover for Honda Assure (Not the 0% depreciation component) and is asking for a booking amount of 51K. Your thoughts ?
Thanks in advance for all your answers. :)
RR

We recently bought the facelifted City ZX CVT.

1) The DigiPad does have a long boot time. Also, touch response is not great. We were fortunate enough not to face any issues with the DigiPad. Although not a great unit, does the required job quite well.

2) Service costs are quite decent. Our City is being serviced every 5k kms/ 6 months.

3)Don't worry, you will definitely not face major issues like a leaking sunroof, but, minor rattles and niggles are part of the package.

4) The City is quite reliable too, you can never go wrong with a City. If the sweet I-vtec is what you love, forget the Yaris. I suggest you go ahead with the City as the Yaris will not satisfy the needs of an enthusiast.

All the best!
Prathik

I just bought a City ZX CVT last week. Must say I'm happy with the car. I've read about minor issues n niggles with the car but the smoothness and driveabilty of the ivtech just cant be overlooked. This is coming from a person who has been driving a swift deisel since past 5 years. Really in love with the overall comfort n feel of the car. Let's see what issues crop up in the long run, but for now I'm happy with the purchase.