Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 10:37   #6256
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM6James View Post
My main doubt is related to the size and make of the projector and which bulb to fit in it. As we are aware the City uses H11 size bulbs in the low beam. So would this exact bulb but in say HID format fit into projector enclosure?

Finally, can you breakdown the costs associated for the whole conversation, including the resealing of the headlamps.

Cheers
Yes the H11 will fit into the projectors, I am using the same. The projector has a screw which tightens the bulbs to keep it held in place firmly, I had my doubts regarding this too but it has held very well.

Projector 1 set - Rs 9700
HID (75w) 3 sets (Low, High, Fog) - Rs 18,600
DRL 1 set - Rs 1900
Labor - Rs 1000
Fitting and resealing were all included in this, had negotitated for Rs 1000 during the final payment.
Ruchir031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 11:44   #6257
BHPian

Hey folks!

How many of you are facing rust issues on your car? Especially owners living in coastal areas or areas with poor water quality (high iron content).

I have a 2016 (Feb) i-VTEC and rust has already shown up on the left rear quarter panel (where the bumper meets the wheel arch). Apart from this, I had major rust appear on the wheel hubs / knuckles (see attached pictures). Had to get this replaced as a paid repair. Bodywork still on hold as I asked the dealer to get this done FOC since rust shouldn't be appearing of such an age, where no damage has occurred & no repairs have ever been carried out.

I have complained to my dealer and they have been mostly supportive (but a bit slow). Hoping they solve my issue by January.

The body quality on Honda vehicles seems to be deteriorating with every new generation. I just sold my 2010 City (67K on the ODO) and it had rust on all four doors. Still got my 2010 Altis (77K on the ODO) and not a spec of rust yet.

Would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Old 20th December 2018, 12:05   #6258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post

Projector 1 set - Rs 9700
HID (75w) 3 sets (Low, High, Fog) - Rs 18,600
DRL 1 set - Rs 1900
Labor - Rs 1000
Fitting and resealing were all included in this, had negotitated for Rs 1000 during the final payment.
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. If you don't mind can you share the name of the shop where you had all this work done?

Also which brand of projectors did you use. I've heard that most shops are pushing knock-off models that don't output light adequately.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:09   #6259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
An update:
Besides my SA in Honda, a classmate who worked for Honda and Blaise, up sizing tyres may have its pros but the downside can be very detrimental to the suspension components of the car in the long run. They advised me against it.
(A company when building and producing a particular car give an appt suspension that suits the dynamic of the car besides the safety features to supplement it). The problem arises invariably when the warranty ceases.
You are right in a way but at the same time there is another factor to think of. Honda City was introduced with the slim 175 specs mainly considering the fuel economy.

Any car manufactured in India would need to change suspensions by around 80K kms depending on the road conditions and the driving habits even if you are running on the stock tyres.

Probably it's the higher weight distribution on up sizing tyres which is causing the SA to say against it. However, I would say that the suspensions would be manufactured or over engineered in a way that it can absorb higher weights. That is the point they would be considering while performing Quality Assurance.

Besides, suspensions carry a warranty of only 2 years even with stock tyres on.

However, up sizing doesn't mean you have to go higher with a drastic size change. 195/60 R15 is a correct one for Honda City and the weight distribution on this size is not very high. The suspensions would very well be able to handle this size.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:26   #6260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
However, up sizing doesn't mean you have to go higher with a drastic size change. 195/60 R15 is a correct one for Honda City and the weight distribution on this size is not very high. The suspensions would very well be able to handle this size.
To add on top of it, the current Honda City comes with 175/65/15 section as well as 185/60/16 section tires. I don't think Honda have used two different suspensions for these models to cater the new tire size. And also there is something called 'tolerance' while designing any product. I have been using 195/60/15 section tires for the last 50,000+ kms on my 4th generation Honda City, no issues regarding suspension have cropped up till now.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:28   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
(see attached pictures)
Would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
I forgot to add the pictures to my original posts. Apologies!

Rust on suspension / wheel hub components. I paid to have these replaced. My car is currently under extended warranty.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-b02f52e4fb694e1a8e302fd2730224b1.jpg4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-725693cdf50d4c3fba6a65a71e2d6be4.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-6463f1fcd9da473e82ad31e884aeb101.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-359de85eaa4c4841b9ae531d4d7b6165.jpg

Rust on the car's body.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_0283.jpg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_0284.jpg
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 19:42   #6262
BHPian

Hello friends,
My first post here on Team-Bhp, I would like to share some of the modifications I have done with my 2016 Honda City VX(O) Black Leather.
  • LED Tail lights
    These really uplift the look of the car. Bought them online and got them fixed at a local accessories store.
    Brake mode
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181226_191026.jpg
    These get fixed on the bumper where the reflectors originally were. They also have two functions, brake and parking
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181226_191248.jpg
    Parking mode
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181226_191252.jpg
    Look like these in daylight
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181227_105825.jpg
    Look absolutely fantastic at night
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181227_184520.jpg
  • HID High/Low Beam
    Got these from amazon and fixed them myself at home. Later got the low beams aligned at Honda A.S.C. They have good throw and the low beams don't cause unwanted glare
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_185952.jpg
    The box
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_190131.jpg
    Throw on empty road
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181215_182955.jpg
    Neatly fixed the relays
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_190025.jpg
  • LED Foglamps
    Replaced the stock foglamps with OSRAM LED fogs. Purchased on amazon and fixed by myself
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_190106.jpg
  • HELLA Red Grille Horn
    Again, bought these from amazon and got them fixed at local accessories store. Stock horns were too meek and did not have any effect on wandering bikers and pedestrians.
    The red grille can be seen through the foglamp housing
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_125231.jpg
  • Spoiler
    Bought this spoiler from Opera House at a throwaway price. It has a fully functional brake light. Looks neat.
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_185900.jpg
  • LED licence plate lights
    Got these from eBay and installed them myself. It was a plug and play job. It replaces the original light from the connector itself. The LEDs are glued on to the lens. Looks really great
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_185848.jpg
  • LED map lights
    Used OSRAM 1W T10 LEDs
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_185822.jpg
    4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20181229_185824.jpg

Please do give suggestions for any future upgrades. Would love to get your feedback on these modifications.

Thanks.
city2491 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 19:55   #6263
BHPian

Hello, a long term update on my 2014 City SV CVT...
Covered 55000 kms till now. Tires changed, (same make and size), regular services done, cant remember the number of the latest one. i had to replace all the shocks, tyres and two rims because of the wobbling issue i had posted earlier. (couldnt log in so sorry guys.) Got my 2nd battery replacement today, so actually this is my car's 3rd SF Sonic battery, got it under warranty so paid around 1700 rs. Car is holding pretty well just like new, built like a tank. apart from normal wear and tear, she's going strong. My average monthly run is 1000 kms, highways and bad roads included. she just completed her 4th year with me in November, I may keep her for another year or so before going for an upgrade.
Old 29th December 2018, 20:14   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
i had to replace all the shocks
What was the expense on changing the shocks?
Old 31st December 2018, 09:58   #6265

I have been driving the Honda City diesel SV Idtec for nearly 5 years now. Booked this car in January 2014 and got it delivered in February 2014. From then on it has been a loveable member of the family. In less than 5 years the car has clocked 1,46,400 kms and I must say, I am Impressed.

Running on the 3rd set of tyres, the performance of the car has been impressive. No major faults except the AC wiring and suspension had to be changed. Other than that the mandatory clutch and break pad changes, filter changes and things that go with service were the only expenses. Have been using both Capital Honda and local mechanic to maintain the car. The mechanic's work has been very good too and saves about 20% compared to the showroom. 2018 i have driven close to 50k kms this year and have spent about a lakh on maintenance including change of AC wiring and tyres. Not sure if this is high or low but from my financial situation it was not too bad.

The performance is still impressive, the cabin noise levels were always higher hence got used to it now. The engine revs up nicely and the car cruises at 100kms per hr on the highway with ease. Returns around 17 to 18 kmpl in city and close to 21 on the highway if driven at higher speeds or about 23 if driven within 100 kms per hour.

The Headlights are one of the weakest points in the car, but I never bothered to change them. The interiors are still good and there is no rattle or Squeak. The other issue i have had with this is the location of mic and speakers for Bluetooth. The volume has always been low and inaudible. Always have to use ear pods.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and hope to drive it around for another 55K kms minimum. After that maybe buy another Honda City as the love affair is likely to continue with the City.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st December 2018 at 10:02. Reason: Editing out high speed mentions.
kashmonyklik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 23:01   #6266

Hi,

I have the 2014 model city vx mt. Want to change the ICE unit with the 2017 model's touchscreen unit with GPS or some third party ICE that is much better. Any suggestions?
Old 6th January 2019, 15:24   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firef0x View Post
Hi,

I have the 2014 model city vx mt. Want to change the ICE unit with the 2017 model's touchscreen unit with GPS or some third party ICE that is much better. Any suggestions?
You can go for Sony XAV AX5000 headunit. It has features like Apple Car Play and Android Auto that the new City's digipad does not have. It also has a capacitive touchscreen.
The only downside is the absence of knobs for volume control as there are buttons.
However it will go well with the car's dashboard if you get a new faceplate for it.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2019, 15:34   #6268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post
.. the mandatory clutch ... changes, filter changes and things that go with service were the only expenses.

The interiors are still good and there is no rattle or Squeak. The other issue i have had with this is the location of mic and speakers for Bluetooth. The volume has always been low and inaudible. Always have to use ear pods.
Nice review
Just curious to know the clutch replacement charges, did you change the flywheel as well?

Regarding the Bluetooth, the design is more of an afterthought in the SV variant, in the V variant and above the Bluetooth mic (placed above near the map lights) and the speakers are well integrated and work flawlessly (high sensitivity).
Old 6th January 2019, 17:59   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Nope, no accident or anything had happened, I'm quite surprised too, it just happened while I was driving, guess my luck was really bad that day.

Thanks, guys! As per the advice I immediately went against the Pioneer and had a look at the AX5000, liked it, had everything I required so I went ahead and had it installed yesterday. Btw, does anyone knows if we need a special coupler/adapter to connect the unit for camera and steering controls? The installation guy couldn't seem to figure out yesterday and said additional adapter might be required which will cost around 1-2k, not sure if that's the case. Would be great if someone could brief me about it.

Everything else is great with this unit, touch and responsiveness are very impressive.
Also, the money that I saved from pioneer was invested in Projector HID setup and a few additional modifications. Will be sharing some pics soon!
Can you share some pictures of this head unit, like the fit and finish, etc?
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 18:18   #6270

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Nice review
Just curious to know the clutch replacement charges, did you change the flywheel as well?

Regarding the Bluetooth, the design is more of an afterthought in the SV variant, in the V variant and above the Bluetooth mic (placed above near the map lights) and the speakers are well integrated and work flawlessly (high sensitivity).
Thank you for the response. The entire clutch assembly costed about 55K if I am not wrong. It was changed in 2016

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks