Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 16:30   #6346

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
......If I were you, I'd be thinking about the Creta diesel automatic. In any case, replacing your diesel City with a petrol City doesn't make much sense, especially as the current generation is nearing the end of its lifecycle. I recommend waiting till next generation City.

Having said that, how about the upcoming Civic?
Don't know for some odd unknown reason, i am not able to get my head around to look at a Hyundai product. Even though I almost booked a grand i10 for my wife. I haven't really looked at the Creta in detail.

Having said that, the civic looks good, but could be bit of a stretch especially if I have to change both the cars. I have been checking out the harrier as well. The upcoming MG Hector also looks good and is sub 20L.

Skodas are good, but the thought of Gurudev motors (the one and only Skoda dealer in chennai) and the horror stories associated with their service worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
....Also,can you please elaborate on the costs incurred for the stuff that you got changed.
Have changed clutch at 70,000 kms and now is due for change

AC compressor and the entire unit was changed today.

Changed suspension 6 months back which costed about 20,000

Tyre changes - now running on Bridgestone ecolus 20,000
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190307wa0033.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190307wa0032.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20190307wa0034.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2019 at 18:41. Reason: trimmed quoted post
kashmonyklik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 11:22   #6347
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post
My 2014 Honda city SV IDtec has clocked 1,52,000kms. The car must say has held itself well so far. A distinct noise when turning the engine off started at around 80,000kms. .....

I would like to know if I can drive the car for some more time or is it time to change? ......... I drive about 80kms in peak city traffic everyday.
It looks like you've covered about 1.4L KM of the total 1.5L KM in city traffic (@ 80KM per day for 5 years). Given your predominantly city usage pattern, you could continue to use your City for city errands and gobble up more miles without worrying too much about reliability or service access.

If you've been servicing the car as per the manual diligently, the iDTEC should be having quite a lot of life left. You should expect to easily hit the 3L KM mark without the need for an engine overhaul. Have you checked whether that distinct noise is coming from your radiator fan (as it shuts down) when you turn off your engine? It happened with me in my earlier car and the radiator fan conked off subsequently during a drive.
The 1.5 iDTEC is the same tried and tested reliable 1.6 iDTEC, all they have done is reduce the stroke to fit it within the 1.5L capacity and reap the subsidy benefits.

The only reason you should be thinking of replacing it is if you're bored with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post

Have changed clutch at 70,000 kms and now is due for change

AC compressor and the entire unit was changed today.
How much did the clutch and AC compressor change cost you ?

I'm nearing the 5 year mark and nearing the 70K mark on the odo. Everything is stock OEM with no part replacements (touch wood) except for the prescribed consumables (as per the user manual) during regular service.
Even the factory fitted battery is doing alright. Its nearing the 5 year mark and batteries usually tend to conk off suddenly and silently. So I'm contemplating whether to go for a new battery just a preventive measure. I've done this (preventive measure change) in the past with my previous cars when the battery or tyres crossed the 5 year aging irrespective of their condition.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th March 2019 at 11:45.
Old 9th March 2019, 19:12   #6348
BHPian

Btw, aren't LED headlamps not allowed (at least on paper/according to rules) ??
Old 10th March 2019, 14:45   #6349
BHPian

These cars are definitely different models. Has the width and rear glass size diminished in current model?

The trunk height looks more in current model. Is overall height increased as well?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20190308_212151.jpg  

Old 10th March 2019, 19:23   #6350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
These cars are definitely different models. Has the width and rear glass size diminished in current model?

The trunk height looks more in current model. Is overall height increased as well?
Quoting a part from the team-bhp official review.
Quote:
Compared to the 3rd-gen, the new car runs the same length & width, is 10 mm taller and gets a wheelbase increment of 50 mm.

Last edited by pavi : 10th March 2019 at 19:25.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 20:17   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Quoting a part from the team-bhp official review.
Thanks @pavi.

Went to showroom today for getting final quote (ZX CVT) to be submitted to my company to kick off the purchase process.

First took a closer look at the car again. Couldn't do that when I test drove it a few days back.
1. With driving seat at highest point, there was barely and headroom. That position of the seat was most comfortable to me. And when I looked up the sunroof corner was almost in my face. I just thought what would happen to my head if car passes over some bad/bumpy road.
2. Build quality didn't seem solid. Not comparing to Skoda or VW, but still
expected more from Honda.
3. Seats were great - front and rear.

Coming to quote, they offered following deductions:
1. 30K - Insurance would be paid by my company so I got discount for same amount.
2. 8K - Corporate discount
3. 40k - Cash discount

The person who had to generate the quote was not available so they said they will email me. Waiting for that!

Is this deal good enough or do you guys think some more juice (i.e. discount) can be squeezed out here?

[Additionally, if I exchange my 12 year old Santro Xing (175k km), they will give me 50k. They also give 30k as exchange bonus but as the car is in my spouse's name and new car would be on my/my company's name, so they said they cannot offer the bonus . And I believe I can get more than 50k in market for my old car so not going for exchange scheme.]

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2019 at 18:41. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
Lakwontsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 22:27   #6352
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks @pavi.

1. With driving seat at highest point, there was barely and headroom. That position of the seat was most comfortable to me. And when I looked up the sunroof corner was almost in my face. I just thought what would happen to my head if car passes over some bad/bumpy road.
I graduated from a WagonR (my father’s car) to Honda City (my own first car). At first I kept the driving seat at the highest point as I am used to sitting in a tall boy WagonR and felt the lack of headroom. But then I tried to be out of my comfort zone, changed the driving seat to the lowest point and steering at the highest point. The feeling of sitting in your car rather than on top of it is a special feeling and I have been using the lowest seat height for the past 77000+ kms and I am loving it.

Note : I am 6 feet tall.

Last edited by pavi : 10th March 2019 at 22:28.
Old 11th March 2019, 08:50   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was exactly my observation when I took test drives of the Honda City. One point which I came to realise was that in the variants with the sun-roof, the ceiling height is about a inch or inch and a half lower than the other variants e.g. the V variant, which does not have the sun roof. The sun-roof mechanism and components add some extra bulk and therefore, if you raise the seat height to the highest position, it is inevitable that your head will touch the roof. However, this is not a problem with the V variant which does not have the sun-rof and hence has some welcome additional headroom freed up.

I had the very same thoughts about the head striking the roof if the car had suddenly pass over a bump or undulation on the road.

The deal that you are getting is a pretty good one. Honda is offering good prices for this month in Bangalore as well!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th March 2019 at 08:51.
Old 11th March 2019, 12:55   #6354
BHPian

Quote:
1. With driving seat at highest point, there was barely and headroom. That position of the seat was most comfortable to me.
When we bought our car in 2014, we gave up the VX version because of the same issue. My grandfather was only comfortable in the highest setting for the driver's seat and his head was basically touching the roof. Soon enough he started driving the car in the mid- setting and would face no such problem. Since then we regret not getting the VX.
Old 11th March 2019, 13:33   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the rattle something like ‘a loose screw sound somewhere on top or to the right of the meter console’?
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Exactly, the sound similar to a 'loose screw' once in a while is due to the movement/rolling of any debris (seed, pebble etc) accumulated on the flat metal cowl area.

I had this sound until yesterday and have not heard it after cleaning that surface. Very elusive sound that has evaded me for three years.
Quote:
Somehow the sound was not there for some days. I had given my car for service yesterday and I had mentioned them about the sound. Went for a test drive along with the technician and we were unable to produce the sound even though we went through some crappy roads. But the technician after coming back from test drive tried knocking on the cowl and found out the sound. They knew the fix already and applied 3M stickers on the cowl area where it meets the front windshield. Let me wait and watch if the sound reappears or not.
What would I do without Team BHP!!!!

This sound has been bothering me since I have bought the City CVT and yes, I have tried all sorts of diagnostics myself like holding all electricals behind the dashboard while going over potholes, vacuuming the area behind the dashboard, holding dashboard elements one by one while going over potholes, but just couldnt diagnose the noise.

Heck even the Arya Honda Service advisor was unable to diagnose the source of the noise.

You guys cant imagine how happy I am feeling after finally diagnosing the noise.

But thanks to team bhp, NOISE, YOU SHALL BE DEALT WITH!!!

Last edited by 2000rpm : 11th March 2019 at 13:37.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:36   #6356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @pavi.

Went to showroom today for getting final quote (ZX CVT) to be submitted to my company to kick off the purchase process.

First took a closer look at the car again. Couldn't do that when I test drove it a few days back.
Friend, I face the same problem. The solution to this is simple, use more recline and enjoy the Sedan experience. Somehow, I love this position better (maybe due to my Civic ownership which was called as dragging the bum by most of my relatives)
Old 11th March 2019, 14:01   #6357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
You guys cant imagine how happy I am feeling after finally diagnosing the noise. ... NOISE, YOU SHALL BE DEALT WITH!!!
Great to hear that

I lived with this rattle for 3 years all the while thinking that I have to do something if not the service center. Now that its taken care of, the car is whisper quiet with zero rattles (touch wood) no matter how bad the roads are.
Old 11th March 2019, 14:09   #6358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Great to hear that

I lived with this rattle for 3 years all the while thinking that I have to do something if not the service center. Now that its taken care of, the car is whisper quiet with zero rattles (touch wood) no matter how bad the roads are.
This was a very irritating noise. It kept me worrying about the steering column because by the description of it, it sounded like the noise reported by the First Gen i20 owners.

I used to absolutely hate the driving the car over potholes without music system on.
Old 11th March 2019, 14:21   #6359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
This was a very irritating noise. It kept me worrying about the steering column because by the description of it, it sounded like the noise reported by the First Gen i20 owners.

I used to absolutely hate the driving the car over potholes without music system on.
I was suspecting the dashboard every time I heard the rattle, never expected the noise is because of the cowl. The fix is still working, no rattle heard till now. I have covered around 2000 kms after the fix till now.
Old 14th March 2019, 22:39   #6360

Folks, looking to buy a used Honda city CVT. Had come across a June 2014 Manufactured , July registered car here in Bangalore with a second owner ran 40k kms, asking 7.5L

Can you guys please advice on how to proceed / negotiate. How/where to get the car checked? Appreciate your support. Thanks

Most Viewed