Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-428.html)

Couple of questions for existing owners of the new Honda City 2017 version:

1. Has anyone upgraded the headlights of the V or lower variants (non LED headlamps)? Basic upgrade of changing to 100/90 bulbs with relay- is that the preferred route and is it possible to do?

2. Those who have upsized the 175 section tires to 195: how much heavier has the steering become, and does it pose a problem at slow or parking speeds? Does the steering become uncomfortably stiff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4566567)
2. Those who have upsized the 175 section tires to 195: how much heavier has the steering become, and does it pose a problem at slow or parking speeds? Does the steering become uncomfortably stiff?

I had experienced 175 section Bridgestone on my Honda City for about 27,000 kms and then I upgraded to 195/60/15 Michelin XM2s. The steering has become very slightly heavy, but it does not cause any issue at parking speeds. So I would say the steering has become pleasantly stiff. I just love this set up on a winding road and as I live in Kerala winding roads are a norm here. Go with the upsize, except reduced (very little) fuel efficiency I didn’t find any negatives.

Note: I would be changing the tires in 5,000 kms (as calculated based on inspecting the wear indicator), and the new tires would be 195 sections again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4566570)
I had experienced 175 section Bridgestone on my Honda City for about 27,000 kms and then I upgraded to 195/60/15 Michelin XM2s. The steering has become very slightly heavy, but it does not cause any issue at parking speeds. So I would say the steering has become pleasantly stiff. I just love this set up on a winding road and as I live in Kerala winding roads are a norm here. Go with the upsize, except reduced (very little) fuel efficiency I didn’t find any negatives.

Thanks. I have been using 195/60 section tires on my Swift for the past seven years, and did find that the steering setup had become somewhat heavy. I liked this for most of the usage period, especially since it gave better feedback, feel and braking performance, but sometimes (mostly in tricky parking spots) I found myself wishing that the steering was a trifle lighter so as to manage the car better.

Hence, the slight hesitation to upgrade, because I don't want the City to become overly heavy and unwieldy in city traffic. Especially, given that one of its USPs is that the car is a breeze to drive around in city conditions with good manouverability and light controls.

Did your ride quality improve a bit after changing to the Michelin 195 tires?

Quote:

1. Has anyone upgraded the headlights of the V or lower variants (non LED headlamps)? Basic upgrade of changing to 100/90 bulbs with relay- is that the preferred route and is it possible to do?

Mine is the 2014 City but I think the non LED Headlight setup has not changed. City uses separate sockets for Low Beam (H11) and High Beam(9005-HB3). So whether halogen or LED, you would need 2 pairs of bulbs.

I upgraded to aftermarket LED bulbs and have found them to be quite effective.
1. Low Beam Upgrade -
2. High Beam Upgrade -

I would recommend going thru http://www.bulbfacts.com and see if the LED option sounds interesting for you as they have the reviews for the latest LED kits in the market.

Quote:

It does become heavy as compared to the OEM. It is a trade off between the high way ride and the in city ride. However one gets used to it. Also the 195/60R15 adds 5mm of Ground Clearance which is a blessing. Also if your stock tires are MRF then definitely the Michelin tires will provide better ride comfort. If they are already Bridgestones then possibly the difference may not be that much.

I switched to Michelin XM2s immediately after delivery and 2 of the tyres have done 51,000 kms so far. The remaining two have done about 38,000 kms (I had to change two tires due to sidewall cuts). I would highly recommend the Primacy 4STs for the City. I plan to upgrade to the same sometime later this year as some of my tires are approaching the 6 year mark soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4566664)
Also if your stock tires are MRF then definitely the Michelin tires will provide better ride comfort. If they are already Bridgestones then possibly the difference may not be that much.

I would highly recommend the Primacy 4STs for the City.

Thanks for the detailed information. Stock tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple Max 175 section. No previous experience with them, but in my limited driving on them till now, they seem to have average ride quality. Any feed back on these specific tires?

Hopefully with Michelin Primacy 4ST upgrade the ride quality will improve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4566733)
Thanks for the detailed information. Stock tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple Max 175 section. No previous experience with them, but in my limited driving on them till now, they seem to have average ride quality. Any feed back on these specific tires?

Hopefully with Michelin Primacy 4ST upgrade the ride quality will improve.

Based on the comments from other BHPians the Goodyear Assurance Triple Max tires are slightly better than the MRFs. But when you are putting in your money for the upgrade I would recommend going for the Premium with Michelin Primacy series. If you find those to be too expensive then the best budget option would be the Yokohoma Earth 1 which would sell at a price point 20-25% cheaper than the Primacy 4ST and are value for money at that price point. Last time I called a Michelin dealer in Bangalore some 6 months back he had quoted 6,700/- per tire for the Primacy 4ST - but I am guessing you should it get it below 6500 with some bargaining

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4566602)
Did your ride quality improve a bit after changing to the Michelin 195 tires?

The ride quality has slightly increased on switching to XM2s. More like a slightly cushioned ride, but with out causing body roll on corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4564262)
Mine.....

I have completed 37,000+ kms on XM2s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4566733)
Stock tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple Max 175 section. No previous experience with them, but in my limited driving on them till now, they seem to have average ride quality.

Congratulations! Looks like you got delivery of your new car. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with the tyres.

My Honda City is due to for a tyre change, its currently running on XM2 175. I want to upsize it to 185. Any suggestions on the brand and make of the tyres. I wanted to change to Continental MC5 but was told MC5 starts from size 195 and above. Dealer suggested Continental CC5 for 185 size. I was keen to know the review of Conti CC5 tires.
I have used Yokohoma Earth 1 on my previous Honda City and did not like the tire noise.
Any inputs and suggestions are appreciated.

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvindmanju (Post 4566962)
My Honda City is due to for a tyre change, its currently running on XM2 175. I want to upsize it to 185. Any suggestions on the brand and make of the tyres. I wanted to change to Continental MC5 but was told MC5 starts from size 195 and above. Dealer suggested Continental CC5 for 185 size. I was keen to know the review of Conti CC5 tires.
I have used Yokohoma Earth 1 on my previous Honda City and did not like the tire noise.
Any inputs and suggestions are appreciated.

thank you

Like other existing users have commented, the Michelin Primacy 4ST is a recommended buy for the City. You could try upsizing to 195 since in my view the difference between 175 and 185 will not be very noticeable.

Requesting owners who have the Owners Manual for City 2017 in PDF/ other electronic format to upload the same on this thread. The Honda India website does not provide the City manual , they provide it only for limited models like the Jazz etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4567919)
Requesting owners who have the Owners Manual for City 2017 in PDF/ other electronic format to upload the same on this thread. The Honda India website does not provide the City manual , they provide it only for limited models like the Jazz etc.

I also need this, have been looking for it since I bought the car. Don't know why they release the manual for Jazz which hardly even sells and none for the City.

Quote:

I have a 2014 model which I recently upgraded to 195 MRF Perfinza. The upgrade gives the city the much required weight on the steering. The steering feels much better than stock setup.

Go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000rpm (Post 4568359)
I have a 2014 model which I recently upgraded to 195 MRF Perfinza. The upgrade gives the city the much required weight on the steering. The steering feels much better than stock setup.

Go for it.

Thanks. What were your stock tires before you upsized? Do you notice a difference in ride quality, and do the wider tires give a relatively plusher ride on your car as compared to the stock rubber?

The day of owning Honda City is coming nearer. Possibly coming Sunday. Just waiting for insurance from my office (its going to be company leased car).

I wanted to see the car for inspection ahead of time so a trip was arranged to visit the stockyard. I didn't expect 200-300 cars in the yard and seeing most of those laden with dust was shocking :eek:. Many were 2-3-4 months old.

Finally got to see the City models that got unloaded a day before. I had finalized Modern Steel Metallic but when I had a look at Golden Brown and Steel side by side, I found Golden Brown much better. My better half also had the same thoughts so I went ahead and finalized it. I know it would be darker shade and scratches etc can be a problem but for once I listened to my heart (and my better half) than mind. :)

I hope someone here can share experience with this color.

I have a couple of questions:
1. In above few posts some of you said you up-sized the tyres. I will be getting 185 but wish to make it 195. Can someone share how much drop in mileage can be expected? Not sure how this works. Do tyre dealers buy the new stock tyres and give new tyres with only small dent to the wallet?

2. GC of 165 mm for City is measured from which point. Googled it and some say it is the lowest point underneath the car and some say from lower point on tyre where axle is attached. Can anyone help with this?