Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-448.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pravint (Post 4673703)
6 months ago my friend bought pearl white VMT for 11.2 in bangalore.

Thats an even better price. Congrats! In my case, I could have probably come down even further on the price, but chose to go through with the deal since I was not too keen on bargaining beyond what I already did. Looked to be a good enough discount on the on road price at the time.

Anyone else noticed the huge increase in Honda's service costs for the City? They have increased all costs especially labour by 30-40%. Every few months they are increasing the rates of everything. I am not happy with this.

I did my paid service for the Honda City in Aug. The total costs came to around 4800 or so, which I didn’t find out of the ordinary. Paid service was around 2100, oil change was 1600 plus some other services .Has it increased more than that?

Noting if it helps others: last Friday a curious case happened when I was driving my City 2017 VMT in Hyderabad, near Hitech City.

I heard a loud bang (was driving around 10-15 kph) and when I slowed to the left of the road and looked back, I saw the passenger right window completely shattered - to my utter horror! It's as if someone hit it with a bullet.

I got out of the car, and did a mistake of not capturing a photo of the window. As soon as I tried to open the rear door, the entire glass collapsed on to the road (90%) and in the cabin (10%).

I feel lucky that my wife/kid was not at the back seat. I had started insurance claims, but Pride Honda Madhapur said that the cost of repairs wasn't much and worth to go for insurance. Finally I paid the total service cost (1420) from pocket and cancelled my insurance claim.

To this date, why the glass shattered is a mystery. No parts/stones inside the car. No one could have hit my glass with a stick or something. The only chance I see is of one of those stones that fly from other tyres hitting directly on the glass and then falling outside the car.

So I finally got the City a fortnight back to be precise. It’s been quite a ride. A lot of very short drives here and there but today is when I was able to take this out on NICE road and below are my observations-
1. The clutch seems to be a little on the hard side. Every drive is adding pressure on my left leg, similar symptoms observed on my earlier Figo TDCI post which I went down with a slipped disc. The clutch in my Verna was butter smooth so I’m not sure what the deal is with the City clutch. Is it because it’s new and needs to get tuned in well?
2. Very gruffy sound observed in the first gear, but 2nd and above is relatively smoother. Honest to God, I was wondering if I had received a diesel instead of a petrol by mistake
3. Excessive wind noise - touched 100k and above 80 was horrible wind noise. Is this a known issue with the 2019 City and what’s the resolution. It’s a pain to keep hearing this noise
4. Just unable to get the right seat position, never had this issue with the other cars
5. I found the 30km drive from home to be fairly taxing today! Did 1,100 kms last weekend in the Creta petrol and I was fresh as a daisy!
6. Mileage- oh my damn ! The car has run 298 kms with 3000bucks worth of fuel. The AFE though not accurate shows 8kmpl, what the hell is going on?

Helpful if anyone can provide some view here. I just hope I’ve not been sold a lemon !please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhan.g (Post 4660322)
Hey guys,

Mine is a 2015 iDtech with 78000 KMS in the ODO. It has been performing well in all the aspects except this:

Problem: The 1st gear clutch release is not smooth and it judders.

This problem started when I was touching 60000 KMS. When I checked about this with my SA he told that this is due to the cutch wear. I had to do a long drive recently and I went ahead and changed the clutch at 76000 KMS. However, even after changing the clutch the problem was still there.

In the 1st gear when I release the clutch without any throttle juddering happens.

This does not happen when the vehicle is in motion.

I again complained about this problem to the SA. Then I suggested that we test another car (35000 KMS in the ODO) and the juddering was there. However, when we tried with 2018 model this was not happening.

After a lot of pestering they discussed this problem with the main dealership and the senior technicians there suggested to replace the clutch (the full assembly). And they did that. Even after doing that the problem still persists.

Honda guys are saying this is pretty normal but I don't agree with them. I tested if this happens in a Fiat Linea, Getz and Swift and the 1st gear release is very smooth.

Anyone else in the community has faced this problem in their car?

Please let me know what to do next. I'm clueless.

I would suggest checking fuel delivery systems. The juddering might actually be due to inadequate or incorrect fuel supply during picking up from standstill. This scenario too can seem to be quite like a judder in some instances. Places to look at could range from clogged fuel filter and/or supply pipes at various places, injector issue, air flow to the engine and related sensors, etc. I hope the people at the garage did a scan. You'd probably get a 'P' related fault code if it's got to do with the issues I mentioned.

If possible get an independent garage to have a trial and get a second opinion. Be careful not to readily believe what the FNG says if he tries to frighten you into going for some costly repair though. Just get them to test or trial and comment. Clutch is out of the question if the guys indeed replaced it and the issue is still there. Logic.

I finally got the delivery of my City VMT which was rather uneventful on 4th Oct 2019. It was raining very hard and getting to Dakshin Honda was a struggle, i wouldve atleast expected Raghu (salesguy) to have offered to deliver it home. There was no ribbon on the car, photograph taken has not been given to me yet. Here are my observations:
1. The inside carpet and not the floormat is and was totally crumpled and not a clear fitting
2. There was condensation in the headlamps
3. Inside of the wheel well cladding was jutting out
4. Seat covers were put on and that was not a good fit either
Considering the auspicious day i had to take the delivery only to rerutn it back 2 days later to have some of these rectified.
Drives in this car have been on total urgency and very short distances, however one of the things i did figure was my left leg hurting. I keep tracking this for I felt i was maybe a tad tired on the days of driving.
This weekend i did a fair bit of driving -25kms on NICE road and yesterday was a 3km drive and i have to say i never had such a bad leg and back pain. This reminded me the reason i sold my Figo diesel - hard clutch leading to a slipped and herniated disc. I am dissed. So below is a summary of the major issues observed and helpful if anyone can provide a view of them:

1. Very hard clutch. I way to scared of driving this car and going down with a slipped disc again
2. Gruffy engine in the first gear
3. AFE though may not be accurate is showing 8kmpl. I have filled in 3000 bucks of fuel and the fuel indicator is at 20% having driven 298kms
4. Excessive wind noise above 80kmpl
5. Unable to stream videos via chromecast. I have the honda wifi dongle

I plan to send this back to Honda even before my first service since I plan a highway drive again. I have driving 1000s of kms on my Creta and earlier Verna and not once did i ever face an issue with the clutch, they were buttery smooth. Any help will be appreciated. Have I been awarded with a lemon?

The most horrible post purchase experience! @Dakshin Honda - You really need to figure this out. Ridiculous!

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshays (Post 4678076)

Drives in this car have been on total urgency and very short distances, however one of the things i did figure was my left leg hurting. I keep tracking this for I felt i was maybe a tad tired on the days of driving.
This weekend i did a fair bit of driving -25kms on NICE road and yesterday was a 3km drive and i have to say i never had such a bad leg and back pain.
1. Very hard clutch. I way to scared of driving this car and going down with a slipped disc again
2. Gruffy engine in the first gear
3. AFE though may not be accurate is showing 8kmpl. I have filled in 3000 bucks of fuel and the fuel indicator is at 20% having driven 298kms
4. Excessive wind noise above 80kmpl
5. Unable to stream videos via chromecast. I have the honda wifi dongle

My views:

1. I have been driving a City VMT for the past 6 months. The clutch is super soft and like in any other Japanese petrol car. Gearshifts were a tad notchy in the initial couple of months, but now at 5000 kms on the odo, they are as slick shifting as I had expected a Honda manual to be. Overall, the clutch and gearshift action is pretty pleasurable and geared towards the enthusiast.

2. Engine note is not gruffy, but has a nice muted growl to it when revving past 2500 RPM. In first gear however, any car would be louder than in higher gears, so would not call this an issue really.

3. Fuel efficiency for me: Bangalore city traffic- 10-11 kmpl. Highway - 15- 16 kmpl with cruising speeds and driving in a relaxed manner. Light to moderately heavy footed driving on my part. 8kmpl is definitely quite low, unless you are very heavy footed with your throttle inputs.

4. Havent really noticed wind noise at highway speeds. I felt the car to be pretty stable and silent on the highway, though I maintain speeds below 120 at all times.

From the complaints that you have mentioned, some are pretty unusual, especially heavy clutch and bad fuel efficiency. You might want to get these rechecked at the service center. The possibility of a lemon cannot be ruled out, but have it checked at the service center level first before you escalate to Honda.

Thanks Arindam. I am curious though what happens in the case of a lemon ? Live with it till aeons go by ? Damn this thing. Possibly I can connect the mileage to the clutch incase of pressure plate issues, worn out plate (oh my! a clutch plate for a brand new car lasting 300k). I am a rogue on the loose in the highways and tend to redline so I can reach my destination quick (not racing). But this car, at 100km on NICE road made me nervous and I did not have the gall to floor it. One turn on Kanakpura road and I was scared to hell. By Verna that way was totally sure footed, planted, but this is a whole new story and a worrisome one at that. I see you're in Blr too, which dealership did you buy the car from ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshays (Post 4678106)
By Verna that way was totally sure footed, planted, but this is a whole new story and a worrisome one at that. I see you're in Blr too, which dealership did you buy the car from ?

I have driven the Verna and I did not find it's handling at speeds to be very different from the City. But then again, and as I had mentioned earlier, I am a relatively sedate driver and tend to be conservative when taking turns at speed, so I may not be the best judge of high speed mannerisms:). But overall, have not found the City to be lacking in road manners as such at the speeds at which I drive.

By the way, I am also a back pain / slipped disc sufferer and so far have found the City to be pretty comfortable. Slightly low slung, but not so much to cause any issues in ingress and egress. Driver seating and positioning has been pretty satisfactory for me as well.

Yes, I am in Bangalore. I purchased the City from Magnum Honda though my initial booking was with Dakshin Honda on Hosur Road. The latter were unable to get the colour of my choice after I had booked with them and I therefore shifted my booking to Magnum Honda on Kanakpura Road. Dealership experience at Magnum was pretty good too.

Not sure of what happens in case of a lemon. If its truly a manufacturing defect, any respectable company would shoulder the responsibility and either replace the offensive parts under warranty or address it in some other way. But before reaching that conclusion, I suggest you approach the dealer with the specific issues that you are facing. Also, the FE is likely to improve to some extent as you clock a decent number of kilometers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 4677637)
I would suggest checking fuel delivery systems. The juddering might actually be due to inadequate or incorrect fuel supply during picking up from standstill. This scenario too can seem to be quite like a judder in some instances. Places to look at could range from clogged fuel filter and/or supply pipes at various places, injector issue, air flow to the engine and related sensors, etc. I hope the people at the garage did a scan. You'd probably get a 'P' related fault code if it's got to do with the issues I mentioned.

If possible get an independent garage to have a trial and get a second opinion. Be careful not to readily believe what the FNG says if he tries to frighten you into going for some costly repair though. Just get them to test or trial and comment. Clutch is out of the question if the guys indeed replaced it and the issue is still there. Logic.

Thanks @pixantz. Will do.

Honda City (P) gets BS6 certified.

Expected to launch soon, the BSVI-spec petrol engine will continue to produce 119 PS power.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-hondacitybs6e1571688751244.jpg

Link

As part of an everlasting modification project on my 2016 HONDA City, my car has been given a major visual upgrade, aka the famous piano black grille and roof.

Attaching pictures for your viewing pleasure, please feel encouraged to share your opinions about it, and suggestions if any.

Cheers!

Cross posting from Cell Phone Holder thread because this is more useful for Honda City owners than others.

So, I bought this Tech Sense Lab Magnetic Car Phone Holder.

Honda City dashboard has some empty space and I calculated it before buying. It came as perfect fit after applying as if Honda has provisioned this space for this holder and mobile. No obstruction in outside view or blower or anything else.

Very satisfying purchase than others things bought with much more money. :p

I wish other cars had such space in the dashboard.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-1.png

I know logo is upside down but doesn't look odd. :D

I had gone for the Portronics Mobile Holder - works fabulously as well.

I have also spend a lot on holders earlier. Regarding yours, does it work inside a think (Spigen) case?