Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 11:27   #6781
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
I love the car, and agreed it’s build quality is not the best, but it isn’t so bad that someone would need to sell it while new.

Also, I think Honda has made improvements in the NVH and fitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Having said that, as Bhpian Durango Dude rightly pointed out, Hondas were never known for their build quality. I wouldn't recommend selling your car.
Buying a Honda City with the expectation of fantastic build quality at par with the Germans is always a mistake. When I bought mine last year, build quality was the last factor when it came to my purchasing decision. Rather, I concentrated on the virtues of this car, being stellar performance, reliability and hassle free ownership. That does not mean that I don't wish the build quality was better - I certainly do. But then, that is a compromise I was willing to make in favour of other overwhelming positives about the vehicle. All said and done, it is a lovely car and these dents and scratches are unfortunately part of our lives now, no matter what car one drives. Best to accept these and move on, to the extent possible.

Having said that however, Honda has definitely made lot of improvements in terms of the NVH of the car. My ownership has so far been a rattle -free one with interiors holding up pretty well. And this, on the perenially cratered roads of Bangalore. An acid test for NVH, is there ever was one.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 14:17   #6782
BANNED

I was on ventilators for last 4 months, keep your ‘recovery wishes’ with you, I was actually banned from team-bhp. A lesson learnt, I would be taking a little more precaution while posting messages in the forum (I hope ).

Coming back to the topic on Honda City, last 4 months were eventful for me and the car. I have covered 91,000+ kms till now. I have changed the Michelin XM2’s 195 sections to Michelin 4ST 195/60/15 sections. The ride has become slightly comfier with out affecting the handling. I would say ‘money very well spent’.

I had been getting a weird clank noise from front and a continuous thud from rear on bad roads. Changed the suspensions, the rear noise is gone and the ride has become a little better. The front clanking sound still exists while negotiating speed speakers slowly. Initial analysis has not revealed anything, ball joints, stabiliser arms etc. are fine (visually). Anyone here facing the above issue??

I have added LED drl + foglamps and also upgraded the audio unit to android head unit (Hamaan brand). The updates are performing good, will update if I come by any surprises. Please find the pictures below.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-57f9496804eb4b1e91f1aaa6cea3a27f.jpeg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-d77b79584879436895b5cbff824330f9.jpeg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-66649abc0efb4bbbb59b3a120c76d7af.jpeg
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-b1a8b6cd226f48feaeec6fefd51e0e0c.jpeg

Last edited by pavi : 13th January 2020 at 14:21.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 14:39   #6783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Opened my car to see this today. Apparently the plastic film behind the sheet of the tempered glass had been peeling off. Are spares available for this?
Why don't you replace that with an Android Head Unit? The cheapest ones start from just ₹9000. You'll also get so many extra features.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:48   #6784

Is there any way I can get the Digipad 2.0 installed in my Hinda City BS IV version.

I asked my dealer about it but he says the wiring is different, so Digipad 2.0 cannot be installed on the BS IV variant.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:52   #6785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a26genius View Post
Is there any way I can get the Digipad 2.0 installed in my Hinda City BS IV version.

I asked my dealer about it but he says the wiring is different, so Digipad 2.0 cannot be installed on the BS IV variant.
I doubt this can be done. Innumerable owners have asked this of dealers, and I don't think anyone has successfully retrofitted a Digipad 2 in their Digipad 1 Citys. I personally am not too hassled about the Digipad 1 in my City. I just listen to the radio and take some phone calls once in a while, so for my limited requirements, the Digipad 1 works just fine.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:55   #6786
BHPian

Hello fellow Bhpians
I bought a City VX MT in Feb, 2018 in Alabaster Silver(Dec, 17 mfg). So far it has been a niggle free journey. All the services has been done through HONDA Service centres.
From past few days when I apply brakes a thak thak kind of sound is heard and the sound gets low as the car comes to halt. Nothing is seen hanging below the car, also checked engine bay but couldn’t see anything.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:34   #6787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24 View Post

From past few days when I apply brakes a thak thak kind of sound is heard and the sound gets low as the car comes to halt. Nothing is seen hanging below the car, also checked engine bay but couldn’t see anything.
Have the brake pads, discs and brake assembly checked thoroughly at the Honda service center. They should be able to sort out the issue.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:56   #6788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Have the brake pads, discs and brake assembly checked thoroughly at the Honda service center. They should be able to sort out the issue.
I just got those checked 20 days back during 6 month service. I’ll still go to them again tomorrow. Do I need to get break pads rubbed Or get them changed, if needed.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:27   #6789
BANNED

Quote:
I think your brake discs are scratched and the brake pads are also worn past their maximum limit. Just glide your finger on brake discs and feel for any major scratches. Could you please update the kilometers covered till now.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:31   #6790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got those checked 20 days back during 6 month service. I’ll still go to them again tomorrow. Do I need to get break pads rubbed Or get them changed, if needed.
Possibly damage to brake discs, uneven wear and tear, brake pads giving up. Could be various reasons, actually. Only way is for them to do a proper check on the brake components. Best to get is checked quickly since brakes are a critical component.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:37   #6791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I think your brake discs are scratched and the brake pads are also worn past their maximum limit. Just glide your finger on brake discs and feel for any major scratches. Could you please update the kilometers covered till now.
Currently the car has clocked 23621 km to be exact.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:39   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Possibly damage to brake discs, uneven wear and tear, brake pads giving up. Could be various reasons, actually. Only way is for them to do a proper check on the brake components. Best to get is checked quickly since brakes are a critical component.
Normally how long does the discs and break pads last for the car. Because 23000 km in 2 years shouldn’t be that long. What’s your opinion?
Old 17th January 2020, 13:49   #6793
BANNED

Quote:
Currently the car has clocked 23621 km to be exact.
My two sets of brake pads lasted till 42,000 kms. I have a 40:60 ratio of city:highway driving in Kerala roads (full of twisties and very less straights). I usually don’t brake at bends because I do rev matching down shifts most of the time. Once I understand there is a bend at some distance, I usually end up revving the car just the exact amount with which I can cover the bend without braking.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:57   #6794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
My two sets of brake pads lasted till 42,000 kms. I have a 40:60 ratio of city:highway driving in Kerala roads (full of twisties and very less straights).
Mine car goes for city driving more i.e. about 70:30 ratio for city:highway. And mostly driven by my wife from past 1 year. But still will get it checked tomorrow and let you guys know what the fuss is about.
Old 17th January 2020, 15:12   #6795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally how long does the discs and break pads last for the car. Because 23000 km in 2 years shouldn’t be that long. What’s your opinion?
Actually that is subjective and depends on the driving style and frequency of braking etc. In a typical stop go traffic situation as is common in Bangalore, or with an overly aggressive driving style, brakes might get worn out faster. Under normal circumstances though, 23000 kms is a pretty short period for the brakes to last. Should normally last at least 30-40,000 kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks