Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 01:38   #6946
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
2014/2015 DTEC owners here, did switching to a different brand of engine oil make any difference to the engine noise?
According to you which oil has the best result?
For my city iDtec at 60K, I used Mobil1 ESP 5w30. I would say its pretty good alternative to Honda engine oil. I have also added the liqui moly ceratec when changing the oil. My experience is that there is a slight reduction in engine noise level but its hardly noticeable. I think the better way is to go for sound damping solutions and better tyres.
automachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 03:07   #6947

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
2014/2015 DTEC owners here, did switching to a different brand of engine oil make any difference to the engine noise?
According to you which oil has the best result?
I am not sure about the latest availability status of Valvoline Synpower 5W40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. If you can still get this, have a try.
From my usage and observation, this is one of the best performance engine oil in many aspects. Improved engine smoothness as well.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:56   #6948

Hi! I am a newbee in this forum. Please pardon me if this is not the correct thread to post my concern.
I observed in the recent past that our family vehicle, a 4th gen Honda City, i-vtec MT of VX(O) trim is not being able to play music through the pen drive. As soon as I plug in the pen drive, and the AVN starts reading the data, it just gets frozen, shuts down and restarts itself again and again until I manually remove the pen drive from the system. Given that the AVN unit is not of the latest technology, I thought of trying various capacities of pen drives, from 4GB to 16GBs, even trying out different models of pendrives, yet no avail. What would be the correct course of action in this situation?
Old 26th March 2021, 15:05   #6949
BHPian

seems like some issue with the USB port, get it checked by some local technician.
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 15:39   #6950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydevargh View Post
I thought of trying various capacities of pen drives, from 4GB to 16GBs, even trying out different models of pendrives, yet no avail. What would be the correct course of action in this situation?
What is the filesystem on your pendrive? Like in a pioneer head unit the file system supported is FAT32, I have a 64GB pendrive which was formatted by selecting NTFS format. I had to download a third party software to format the pendrive to FAT32 as windows don't support FAT32 formatting if the usb size is more than 8GB. You can check the filesystem in your usb and try to format it with FAT32, then add songs and try.

Note: this may/may not fix your issue, but what is there to lose

Last edited by pavi : 26th March 2021 at 15:40.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:47   #6951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
..Went to a local garage and he suggested fitting the horn on the front upper bulkhead, deep and safe from the rains! Now my horn is finally holding good so far.
Sir could you please share a picture of the install. I badly need a change of horn. Looking to learn from your experience and mount it safely in the first go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
...... and blower motor noise. They changed the keyless sensor switch, placed an order for blower motor.... I somehow don't believe him though but will definitely check when the car goes for the blower motor replacement if he's been true about placing the order in the first place.
Sir, is the blower motor noise a low buzzing electrical noise??

I am having a low noise from my AC blower. They checked and said there's nothing wrong, but the noise is irritating me
Old 29th March 2021, 01:25   #6952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Sir could you please share a picture of the install. I badly need a change of horn. Looking to learn from your experience and mount it safely in the first go.

Sir, is the blower motor noise a low buzzing electrical noise??

I am having a low noise from my AC blower. They checked and said there's nothing wrong, but the noise is irritating me
To answer your first question please refer to the image. I didn’t take a picture when the job was done. I’m due for a bumper replacement. Will take a picture then. I had gone through 2 horn replacements before.
The stock was changed because of the poor quality and used to go kaput during rains. Plus I personally didn’t like the note. It was more like a whine than a horn!
The second one was from Hella followed by Stebel, both of which were damaged by water entering into the horn even though they were placed properly (facing downwards as per installation guide). The current ones are from hella as well. Don’t remember the model. Mounted on the front bar with help of brackets. No complaints so far!

Well for the second question. This would account for my stupidity to ponder around! I was cleaning the cabin air filter and my curiosity stuck and wanted to see if the centrifugal blower sucks in or blows out air from the filters perspective. Turned on the blower and held a paper bit to see the air flow. Voila! The paper gets sucked in. Well. I did learn the air flow direction but the paper bit was stuck in the blower fan. Every time the blower was turned on, the vibrating paper bit gave out a sharp hum. Went around and did Jugaad using a vacuum cleaner. Didn’t spot the paper. Maybe it disintegrated or disappeared. Now the hum isn’t there.
Do Check for any debris in the centrifugal blower chamber sir. Most of the complicated stuff usually have a simple solution!
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-52eae6b7df8942ab80dfce25bd529556.jpeg  

Aravind_M92 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 09:25   #6953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rālugāyi View Post
I am not sure about the latest availability status of Valvoline Synpower 5W40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. If you can still get this, have a try.
From my usage and observation, this is one of the best performance engine oil in many aspects. Improved engine smoothness as well.
Well i understand that 5W-40 oil must have definitely got you a good smoothness in the engine aspect.
However honda's diesel engine's use 5w-30 synthetic oil specially designed for the correct valve clearances and optimum mileage.
AFAIK honda had co-delveloped this oil with idemitsu considering the Indian climatic and dusty conditions.
Just my two cents.
mdesai_1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 22:05   #6954
BHPian

Diesel owners,

How long have your clutches lasted???

I'm at 26k and feel like the clutch is slipping on hard acceleration. Increase in RPM without corresponding increase in Speed.
Old 29th March 2021, 22:22   #6955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Diesel owners,

How long have your clutches lasted???

I'm at 26k and feel like the clutch is slipping on hard acceleration. Increase in RPM without corresponding increase in Speed.
My 2014 City iDTEC's clutch had lasted when the odo was 70,000 Kms and the replacement of the whole clutch had costed me around Rs.11k at A.S.S itself. The 2nd set of clutch has done nearly 35000 Kms and still going strong.

PS- I got the replacement done in 2019 when the car went for 70k Kms service.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:54   #6956

Cross checked and formatted my pendrive again in FAT32 format. Yet no change in performance. Seems like an AVN issue
Old 30th March 2021, 15:35   #6957
BHPian

I told you, it seems to me as a hardware issue.
first of all you need to check the USB port, if its ok , then you should visit the local technician first.
I am sure your he will solve your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydevargh View Post
Cross checked and formatted my pendrive again in FAT32 format. Yet no change in performance. Seems like an AVN issue
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 00:24   #6958
BHPian

So this query is for the 3rd gen Honda City [2008-2013] but since it doesn't seem to have a dedicated maintenance/review thread, I'm posting it here.

Has anyone gotten their timing belt replaced for the petrol i-VTEC engine?
I searched the forum but didn't find a definite answer to these points:
  • Recommended interval(KM/Years) for the change
  • Approximate costs

The user manual doesn't list an exact replacement interval so i went ahead and asked one of the service advisors on an earlier visit.
He pointed out that this engine uses a chain instead of a belt(which is probably correct) but went on to say that it doesn't have any preventive replacement schedule.

On asking for the approximate costs on doing the swap, he quoted around Rs. 30k which i doubt to be correct.

Old 3rd April 2021, 21:14   #6959
BHPian

Hi All,

Is 4th gen Honda City is a good buy even in 2021?

Specifically asking for V variant, it's around 9.99L ex showroom and is decently kitted with
- cruise control
- keyless start/stop
- automatic climate control
- reverse camera with guidance
- electrically retractable ORVMs
- touchscreen music system with Android auto
- alloy wheels.

Other options :

Skoda rapid and VW Vento - I'm not guy who revvs lot, low revs would pronounce the 3 cyl specific thrums. City seems to be a better package overall in terms of space, features, reliability, maintenance costs etc.

Verna - feels overpriced for the space on offer, especially when considering similarly priced S plus variant which misses out on too many features. Also, not a great NA petrol.

Ciaz - the only MS cars I feel good about are s-cross and vitara brezza, nothing else from the stable gets my attention.

City 5th gen - a great package, haven't driven it yet. Like the VX variant alot but it's too pricey with my budget constraint of 10L ex-showroom.

Or do I have to peek in the crowded sub-4m SUV segment, which I am not a fan of.
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:18   #6960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Hi All,

Is 4th gen Honda City is a good buy even in 2021?

Specifically asking for V variant, it's around 9.99L ex showroom and is decently kitted with
- cruise control
- keyless start/stop
- automatic climate control
- reverse camera with guidance
- electrically retractable ORVMs
- touchscreen music system with Android auto
- alloy wheels.

Other options :

Skoda rapid and VW Vento - I'm not guy who revvs lot, low revs would pronounce the 3 cyl specific thrums. City seems to be a better package overall in terms of space, features, reliability, maintenance costs etc.

Verna - feels overpriced for the space on offer, especially when considering similarly priced S plus variant which misses out on too many features. Also, not a great NA petrol.

Ciaz - the only MS cars I feel good about are s-cross and vitara brezza, nothing else from the stable gets my attention.

City 5th gen - a great package, haven't driven it yet. Like the VX variant alot but it's too pricey with my budget constraint of 10L ex-showroom.

Or do I have to peek in the crowded sub-4m SUV segment, which I am not a fan of.
Yes, the 4th gen City is decently kitted with these features at the price of Rs.9.99L and I suggest you to go for it.

Since there is not much difference between 4th gen City and 5th gen City in terms of comfort and engine, I still suggest you to go for 4th gen and it has similar features of 5th gen except for 4 airbags and other features, which I don't remember and it has a price difference of more than Rs.1L between 4th gen VMT and 5th gen VMT as well.

The other option which I suggest you is to have a look at Rapid/Vento but since you want peace of mind and concerned with maintenance costs, I suggest you to go for City only.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 3rd April 2021 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks