Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 02:14   #6961
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Now that there are queries are there about engine oils. I have a few questions

1. My SA when asked to flush the engine and replace the engine oil said they would only drain and fill up and not flush it. What’s the stand on this?

2. Service centres are the same everywhere. Even the best of them try to rip you off. After every time of engine oil replacement, I’ve noticed the oil level at best at 2/3s level of the indicator. I usually top it off at home with shell helix fully synthetic engine oil after a run of about 100 kms. Is this practice fine? Or should I try and confront the service centre the next time?

3. The Idemitsu engine oil recommended for Honda city is rated at 5w-30 I believe . In country like ours, where the temperature are at higher side, should we be not using a higher rating say 5w-40? Since my car is out of warranty, can I get the oil flushed and use Shell engine oil?
Old 6th April 2021, 19:08   #6962
BHPian

Is there any discount on this model? Looks tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Hi All,

Is 4th gen Honda City is a good buy even in 2021?

Specifically asking for V variant, it's around 9.99L ex showroom and is decently kitted with
- cruise control
- keyless start/stop
- automatic climate control
- reverse camera with guidance
- electrically retractable ORVMs
- touchscreen music system with Android auto
- alloy wheels.

Other options :

Skoda rapid and VW Vento - I'm not guy who revvs lot, low revs would pronounce the 3 cyl specific thrums. City seems to be a better package overall in terms of space, features, reliability, maintenance costs etc.

Verna - feels overpriced for the space on offer, especially when considering similarly priced S plus variant which misses out on too many features. Also, not a great NA petrol.

Ciaz - the only MS cars I feel good about are s-cross and vitara brezza, nothing else from the stable gets my attention.

City 5th gen - a great package, haven't driven it yet. Like the VX variant alot but it's too pricey with my budget constraint of 10L ex-showroom.

Or do I have to peek in the crowded sub-4m SUV segment, which I am not a fan of.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:27   #6963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Hi All,

Is 4th gen Honda City is a good buy even in 2021?

Specifically asking for V variant, it's around 9.99L ex showroom and is decently kitted with
- cruise control
- keyless start/stop
- automatic climate control
- reverse camera with guidance
- electrically retractable ORVMs
- touchscreen music system with Android auto
- alloy wheels.
I believe the next gen model makes more sense, as the base model itself is decently kitted and is around 1L more(probably 1.5 L with taxes). This is not a huge difference when it comes to EMIs, and you will get a fresher, next generation car which will stay relevant for longer duration, with better resale as well. Unless there are substantial discounts or you are attached to this model, 5th Gen would be a better pick.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:13   #6964
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I hope you and your family doing well,

There is small dissatisfaction running at the back of my mind especially ever since I drove TATA Altroz (P) and growing when ever I drive my HONDA City (2014 - D). ~75000 kms ODO running with Yokohama Earth 1 (195/60 R15) and regular wheel alignment / balancing. Also maintaining required tyre pressure.

I am not too aggressive driver but I do maintain suitable cruising speed of 80-100 KMPH on highways but the concern is, I am getting feeling of that I am going through boat even though the road is butter smooth. The straight line stability is not confident as I have observed in Altroz I do get feeling of pitch and sway motion which shouldn't happen. Altroz stick to ground like lizard but my car it doesn't offer me that confidence now.

Any checks, upgrade suggestions ? Does anyone observing the same issue ?
Old 10th May 2021, 17:52   #6965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
I am getting feeling of that I am going through boat even though the road is butter smooth. The straight line stability is not confident as I have observed in Altroz I do get feeling of pitch and sway motion which shouldn't happen. Altroz stick to ground like lizard but my car it doesn't offer me that confidence now.

Any checks, upgrade suggestions ? Does anyone observing the same issue ?
Its about time you replace the suspension in your City, it stays planted on speeds well into the 3 digits
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:04   #6966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Its about time you replace the suspension in your City, it stays planted on speeds well into the 3 digits
Suspension replacement at 75K, that too on a Honda? Unless the car is abused, isn't that way too early? City inherently came with a soft suspension where as Altroz has comparatively stiffer suspension and bound to have better ride on smooth tarmac.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 23:35   #6967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Suspension replacement at 75K, that too on a Honda? Unless the car is abused, isn't that way too early? City inherently came with a soft suspension where as Altroz has comparatively stiffer suspension and bound to have better ride on smooth tarmac.
Suspension , either all of it or some of it would have given up at this mileage , more so if it's a diesel. It is a known issue for City. The previous one would need a new steering rack if driven rough.
Old 11th May 2021, 03:32   #6968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

My user manual says to use Honda Diesel Engine oil #2

But I don't know if it's synthetic or not!
If someone can confirm this, I will decide whether I should use the oil from honda or buy my own oil.
The City Diesel engine oil is mineral (not synthetic).
Better to stick to OEM engine oil for longer engine life.

The manual says replace engine oil 10K KM or 6 months, whichever is earlier. Used to do that until pandemic struck, last time I changed engine oil after a year as the car had barely run about 7K the whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
However honda's diesel engine's use 5w-30 synthetic oil ... honda had co-delveloped this oil with idemitsu considering the Indian climatic and dusty conditions.
I had checked at the A.S.S and they confirmed it is mineral oil for City Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Diesel owners,

How long have your clutches lasted???

I'm at 26k
Mine is at nearing 90K KM with no slippage, it has been a bit hard for the last 30K KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
about engine oils. I have a few questions

1. My SA when asked to flush the engine and replace the engine oil said they would only drain and fill up and not flush it. What’s the stand on this?
If the engine oil being replaced is of the same type, then the regular practice is to just drain and fill up.

If you're changing the oil type, say mineral to synthetic, then a flush can be preferrably done.
Old 11th May 2021, 08:36   #6969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If your City’s suspension is lasting for 75k km, thank your lucky stars and take the win. On my car, it lasts half of that. Into my fourth set now.

Part quality that they are using nowadays is pathetic to say the least. And they charge you full price for it.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:52   #6970
BHPian

Just observed my Honda City IDtec 2015

ODO reading 55000 kms is throwing black smoke when revved, I spoke to one of the technician at the ASS, he said its normal to see black smoke when revved and its been seen in newer models too.

Anyone observed the same?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2021 at 12:01. Reason: spacing for improved readability
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 15:22   #6971
BHPian

In general for diesel engines, black smoke will be observed on hard acceleration if the vehicle is either not warmed up properly or when it has not been revved hard for a very long time. Subsequently, the black smoke will reduce, but not completely.

I dont own a Honda, but I have observed Hyundai and Honda diesels emitting more black smoke as the mileage increases.
krish3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 15:53   #6972
Distinguished - BHPian

Black smoke from diesel engine is actually soot. Carbon particles simply put. This is normal behaviour for pre BS6 engines. In fact the national engine - 1.3 MJD throws a nice black puff of black smoke when revved.

With advanced DPF (diesel particulate filter) and SCR based filtering, this is now controlled and BS6 and future diesel engines will not show that much black smoke.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 16:39   #6973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
ODO reading 55000 kms is throwing black smoke when revved, I spoke to one of the technician at the ASS, he said its normal to see black smoke when revved and its been seen in newer models too.
Atleast once or twice a month, one should drive safely in third gear at a speed that makes the engine run at RPM between 3500 to 4000. I used to do this with my Punto once or twice a month and every time I’d drive like this for a total of 5-7 minutes. Keeps the system clear of soot deposits etc.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 19:48   #6974

Planning for a new 4th Gen Honda City VMT, upgrading from 2008 Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE Petrol.

Ground clearance is a matter of concern for usage in Bangalore ?

Thoughts and opinions, please ?
Old 30th May 2021, 00:19   #6975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relucutantEnthu View Post
Planning for a new 4th Gen Honda City VMT, upgrading from 2008 Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE Petrol.

Ground clearance is a matter of concern for usage in Bangalore ?

Thoughts and opinions, please ?
Never been to Bangalore, but in Mumbai which apparently has equally bad roads - the soft suspension and a full / nearly full load make it a little bit of a pain on larger speed breakers.

I believe it's been an issue since the third generation City.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed