Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-468.html)

Hello BHPians,
I am in the process of taking delivery of a used 2015 Honda City Petrol Manual, ~72000KMS run and have decided to get it serviced before i even get it home for the first time
Planned service includes the basic Oil change, oil filter, coolant topup/change, washer fluid, Air filter, AC service, wheel alignment, etc

Additionally I would like suggestions about the best products to use for the same and thoughts on changing the fuel filter, transmission fluid, brake fluid.

Get the service records from the Honda ASC before buying the vehicle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by S.A.N. (Post 5184986)
Hello BHPians,
I am in the process of taking delivery of a used 2015 Honda City Petrol Manual, ~72000KMS run and have decided to get it serviced before i even get it home for the first time
Planned service includes the basic Oil change, oil filter, coolant topup/change, washer fluid, Air filter, AC service, wheel alignment, etc

Additionally I would like suggestions about the best products to use for the same and thoughts on changing the fuel filter, transmission fluid, brake fluid.

Why is it that at least in BLR, every third Honda City or so has a damaged sump guard (which visibly hangs down) when seen from an oncoming or following vehicle?

Is there something inherently faulty about the design and/or the quality or fixing points used? I can appreciate it has a low GC when fully loaded, but it cannot explain why my eye is invariably drawn towards the City.

Comments from owners?

This real time fuel efficiency of my almost 7 yrs old 4th generation Honda city Idtec has put a big smile on my face. I know actual figures will be lower but this is good.
Driven today Chandigarh-Greater Noida. Used cruise control whenever possible & rarely went beyond 90KMPH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5188158)
... a damaged sump guard (which visibly hangs down) ....
Is there something inherently faulty about the design and/or the quality or fixing points used? I can appreciate it has a low GC when fully loaded,

This is not a sump guard but known a splash guard. Its just a plastic sheet that shields the engine from debris and other elements on the road. The sheet is fixed and held by plastic clips.

Coming to the question, is there a design issue? Certainly not. Like any typical sedan, there is a front overhang, so one has to be careful and use the right method while approaching large speedbreakers. One should not brake hard continuously and cause the front to dip significantly as you approach the speedbreaker. If the sheet has taken a hit/scraping, then the plastic clips will need to be replaced. So this is a maintenance issue.

Contrary to general perception, the 4th gen City has no low GC issue, not even when fully loaded with luggage, thanks to its stiff suspension and redesigned floor. Agreed it doesn't have SUV like ground clearance, but certainly doesn't scrape on speedbrakers unless the speed breakers are raised very high and usually by villagers on rural roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissionManali (Post 5191948)
This real time fuel efficiency of my almost 7 yrs old 4th generation Honda city Idtec has put a big smile on my face.

The sweetspot for max FE in the idtec is to just drive at 70/75kmph at 1500 rpm and its very easily returns > 27kmpl.
The problem is patience wears off :) and when the speeds are about 100/110kmph at 2000/2200 rpm, the real world highway FE averages around 21/22kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 5192214)
Coming to the question, is there a design issue? Certainly not.

Normally I'd agree. But at least in my experience, there is a disproportionate number of 3rd-gen City vehicles in BLR with 'hanging' splash guards. :thumbsdown

I have a 2014 Honda City iVtec and the sump /splash guard is hanging. I’ve asked the ASS to fix it a few times but without any luck. This is in Pune and I’m pretty sure it has scraped on some of the wired speed beakers we have here. Especially when you miss one of them and end up hitting them too fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5192301)
Normally I'd agree. But at least in my experience, there is a disproportionate number of 3rd-gen City vehicles in BLR with 'hanging' splash guards. :thumbsdown

Very astute observation. I find this amusing too and it is not only for the 3rd gen Honda City but also for the 4th gen. Additionally, I have noticed the same hanging plastic pieces between the front wheels on many Jazzs.

My cousin had once hired a 4th gen City from Revv car. The sump guard was not hanging when we took the car. We were driving to Ooty and maps took us through some country/village roads. Villagers there had put paddy on the roads (/https://starofmysore.com/despite-warning-paddy-threshing-continues-on-public-roads/). My car (a sedan but not a Honda), being driven in front had no issues but after a while, on the City, the plastic pieces from both sides came out and were hanging, causing a lot of grinding noise. We stopped and tried a lot but neither could we fix the pieces back nor take them off completely. Frustrated, we decided to continue till the nearest town and find a local garage who could help. The entire journey, the plastic kept rubbing the road below :Frustrati

Eventually we found a garage who did some local jugaad and the remainder of the journey was smooth.

I think this is a faulty design or poor quality part susceptible to damage.

I am facing issue of a flashing temperature gauge in my 6 yr old, 82k kms run Honda City- idtec. This comes up intermittently while driving and during the alert, the car stops taking acceleration inputs. Goes away on its on after few seconds and car behaves normally. Please suggest what could be wrong here.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z_DV6z35ncM?feature=share

Quote:

Originally Posted by hs_maverick (Post 5207293)
..flashing temperature gauge ...intermittently while driving .... Goes away on its on after few seconds and car behaves normally. Please suggest what could be wrong here.

Get an OBD scan done at the ASC, sounds like a faulty sensor.
Doesn't look like an overheating issue as it takes more than a few seconds to get the temperature down, if that was the case.

I have been facing this issue in my car. Even after a small spell of shower, water accumulates in the left rear seat foot area. Sometimes there is a small puddle. I've cleaned all the door drainage pores, checked all the seals and the sunroof drainage.
Heck I even sat inside the car during a powerwash session and heavy rain. ( I don't have a covered car park) and couldn't locate the leak. The panels are all dry. There's water in the footwell alone. The carpet below is the dry. Please give your valuable suggestions on how to rectify this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 (Post 5209144)
how to rectify this issue.

faced similar issue some time back. rear door drainage must be clogged. check & clean again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 (Post 5209144)
There's water in the footwell alone. The carpet below is the dry. Please give your valuable suggestions on how to rectify this issue.

Going through this thread could help you I guess,
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...jazz-city.html

If this doesn't work then check out this video
https://youtu.be/jR-3tGBvCMg
You can get butyl sealant tape from this link https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-buty...tape-39763609/

Can anyone suggest good options for sound proofing Honda city ( 4th Gen, VX 2019 model ) in Bangalore ? Although it is petrol- i find it noisier inside than say- Verna, Seltos or Creta Petrol. Wondering why didnt Honda provide such basic thing as noise insulation material ( under the bonnet hood, doors ). Although i love the sweet music of the engine when i press the accelerator, i am not happy with the road noise the creeps in when driving at high speeds. I know the standard bridgestone ecopia are a culprit too- and will take care of them in due course of time.

At slow speeds ( esp when doing a cold start ) it sounds bit like a diesel motor ( not that loud though ). Mine is CVT, and I am told that is normal for an automatic gearbox. I think the Korean cars have spoilt me, as my brother has the latest petrol creta.

Also i am a music buff, so i know how important it is to have good insulation in the car.

Any suggestions ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaleenvashisht (Post 5210011)
Can anyone suggest good options for sound proofing Honda city ( 4th Gen, VX 2019 model ) in Bangalore ? Although it is petrol- i find it noisier inside than say- Verna, Seltos or Creta Petrol. Wondering why didnt Honda provide such basic thing as noise insulation material ( under the bonnet hood, doors ).

Any suggestions ?

Any reputed audio installer in Bangalore should be able to sound proof the doors for you. It's a simple stick-on job. Dynamat is a popular damping sheet used.

Additionally, you can get the hood/bonnet dampener that's available in tbe diesel variant on Boodmo. I have installed it and there is a minor difference. The dampener is quite cheap but the clips to hold them are expensive compared to regular clips.