Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2022, 11:14   #7111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2004 Honda City i-DSI - Things to look out for and other tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainlessDeath09 View Post
I just got my first car, a used Honda City 2nd Gen(i-DSI), 2004 make. She's run a lot, about 205k on the odo and still runs like butter. The owner(friend of mine) sold it for about ₹75k

1)Do you think mistakes were made?
Get the engine mounts and transmission mounts checked. Older cars or cars with high odometer readings require these to be changed, but it's not easy to diagnose their wearing out.

Does the car emit vibrations or rattles? Start here.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 13:14   #7112
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians!

1)Do you think mistakes were made? No, considering you are fresh out of college this is a trust worthy and low cost best offering.
2)What other things should I be looking out for/What should I be wary of with old, high run, Honda City NHCs? Let the issues pop up as they would naturally. I suggest to address only what is absolutely needed.
3)The Headlights are painfully dim and I can barely see in the night, I've heard adding LEDs to halogen housing is highly discouraged so what are my best options?
My thoughts:

No, considering you are fresh out of college this is a trust worthy and low cost offering.

2)What other things should I be looking out for/What should I be wary of with old, high run, Honda City NHCs?
Don't worry too much on what can go bad later. Let the issues pop up as they would naturally.
I suggest to address only what is absolutely needed. Mechanics will try to squeeze as much as possible.
Just ensure brakes and engine are healthy.

3)The Headlights are painfully dim and I can barely see in the night, I've heard adding LEDs to halogen housing is highly discouraged so what are my best options?
I went for below OSRAM Laser Night breaker on my Honda City 2014 model.
They were simply fantastic and fixed my lighting issue. I drove nearly 20K kms day and night across different states with no lighting issues.
I will also advice to get the headlamp panel restored by a detailer to reduce the yellow tinge on clear plastic.

Amazon link here.

My Honda City headlights with OSRAM's as compared against 2015 Creta:

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_13351.jpg
ramjiramu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 13:55   #7113
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Took my CVT petrol for an early morning drive to a friend's place. Decided to be gentle on accelerator and traffic was minimal.

FE came out amazing 23.8 kmpl. Astonished to see this number.

I was skeptical before buying this car as people usually said that FE would be approx 10 however overall i have been getting around 12.5 to 14 with ac in city traffic which is not bad at all considering power that this always available.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20220924_064417.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20220924_064443.jpg  

Gearup_1111 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 14:11   #7114
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians!

This is my first post so bear with me if it's not to format or standards!

I just got my first car, a used Honda City 2nd Gen(i-DSI), 2004 make. She's run a lot, about 205k on the odo and still runs like butter. The owner(friend of mine) sold it for about ₹75k which seemed pretty resonable to me considering that the car was aesthetically fit.

Now that the initial excitements worn off, I took it to a mechanic and found quite a couple of things wrong with the car. Replaced the clutch plates, engine mounts and the suspension system, steering rack and a bunch of other things the bill came out to a heafty ₹90k.

After all this, I was slightly on the fence about the purchase. I admit, it was a very hastily purchased and well, nothing can be done about it. So I had a few questions:

2)What other things should I be looking out for/What should I be wary of with old, high run, Honda City NHCs?

I plan to have this car for atleast another 3 years, I'm fresh out of college and just started my career so I bought this thinking it would be the most economical option for me. Lend me your thoughts!

My experience with old car has been that although engine of cars can go for few lac kms without any trouble if maintained properly however there are many associated parts which keep on failing. For instance one of our cars was trouble free till 1 Lac Kms mark but in next 20k kms it made multiple rounds to the service center for Radiator leakage, alternator Jam, clutch work, AC compressor making noise. So the confidence in the car went away plus it involved lot of time, efforts and money.

Resale value of old car remains almost same how muchever money you spend on it.

Pls do not take me otherwise but considering u bought car which is already 18 years old for 75k and spent 90k on it so total came out to approx 165k. Plus we are not sure if car would ask for further expenses due to age.

In NCR one of my friend sold his 3rd Gen 2009 City for 2 Lacs driven around 80k.

Looking at head lights in pic they seem to have a hazzy glass. May be they have been buffed as old headlights normally get sediment deposit on glass. Before changing bulb show it to someone who cleans headlight. That itself should improve visibility.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 06:33   #7115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
I went for below OSRAM Laser Night breaker on my Honda City 2014 model.
They were simply fantastic and fixed my lighting issue. I drove nearly 20K kms day and night across different states with no lighting issues.
I will also advice to get the headlamp panel restored by a detailer to reduce the yellow tinge on clear plastic.

Amazon link here.
Are these high beam bulbs or low beam ? 55W should be extremely good irrespective.

For low beam, i installed these ones, an year back in my 2019 City VX CVT. Perfectly happy with the throw- it lights up the entire road, and in the city usage i dont need the full beam. These are 25W each. Did a DIY job as it is a simple plug and play.
Old 25th September 2022, 10:48   #7116
BHPian

Having owned this very Honda City and driven Baleno extensively, it's an easy decision, it should be Honda City.

The quality, fit and finish, ride, and performance is easily 2 levels above Baleno.
Old 25th September 2022, 13:13   #7117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Guys I am in a state of confusion and need views.

However heart was saying no to AMT and spending 10 Lacs for Baleno.

Now I am in a dilemma, that was it a wise decision to buy this 4 year old vehicle or should have I bought a new Baleno automatic for a lac more.

Suggestions requested to keep this car or buy a Baleno.
If I were you, I would listen to my heart and would say NO to Baleno for 2 big reasons: Not safe enough, and AMT.

But since you were considering the Baleno, looks like you were okay with a premium hatchback. If you could stretch your budget a bit, I would strongly recommend considering a new Jazz V CVT (should cost around 11L on road). That way you could get a brand new + safe + a very reliable + proper CVT automatic car.

Last edited by jaysheth : 25th September 2022 at 13:14.
jaysheth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 13:25   #7118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
If I were you, I would listen to my heart and would say NO to Baleno for 2 big reasons: Not safe enough, and AMT.
Thanks, drove Jazz while hunting for a premium hatchback but found it too underpowered. Although except the boot it feels almost like a 4th gen Honda City but on checking the sales chart it felt as if it has negligible sales now.

A very competent product but something did not check the boxes.

Quote:

We have a Verna Fluidic CRDI and Creta Petrol in our garage which are primarily used by me, my wife and my father.
Thanks a ton for your feedback guys.

Decided to retain city over Baleno as of now due to below reasons:
1. Safety as mentioned on the group plus 6 airbag variant
2. Extremly comfortable family car
3. Can be an option for family vacations as well due to huge boot capacity
4. Fully loaded version with almost everything minus ventilated seats, my 7 year daughter is crazy for sunroof and it's always a good feeling to see your kids happy.
5. CVT gearbox is a joy to use over AMT
6. Fuel efficiency is North of 12 in city drive

Thanks again, it's always a pleasure to see how teambhp family stands for each other.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2022 at 13:37.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 16:49   #7119
BHPian

Quote:

Decided to retain city over Baleno as of now due to below reasons
[/b]
You will not regret it Sir, it’s very hard to make other cars do what the city does. No matter what cars we have had over the years, a city has always been part of the garage. We too own a 2018 CVT. It’s the definition of fill it, shut it, forget it. In fact, you may become a repeat customer just like me.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:44   #7120
BHPian

Does anyone has a problem in mic of City 4th gen while using Bluetooth calling. Im able to hear clearly but when I speak, voice seems to go very low on other side.
Old 26th September 2022, 14:59   #7121
BHPian

Quote:

We have a Verna Fluidic CRDI and Creta Petrol in our garage which are primarily used by me, my wife and my father.

Now I am in a dilemma, that was it a wise decision to buy this 4 year old vehicle or should have I bought a new Baleno automatic for a lac more.

Buying a pre owned Honda City over a Baleno is a well thought about decision.
Honda City is superior in all aspects and also gives you a 'proper automatic'.
Rest assured, you will not face any problems with the car.
Only missing part will be the new car feel.
Old 26th September 2022, 16:26   #7122
BHPian

Quote:
[b]I plan to have this car for atleast another 3 years, I'm fresh out of college and just started my career so I bought this thinking it would be the most economical option for me. Lend me your thoughts!
Hey PainlessDeath, I have also bought the same car but a tye facelift one, the City ZX 2007. Here are some of the parts I had to change. The engine is very reliable and never gave any problem inspite of heavy abuse. I bought it from a dealer with 1.2 lacs on the odo. Not sure if it was tampered. So far, most of the issues were electrical and very cheap to fix. Yes, the engine mounts were worn out, but I didn't get them changed. Had to change only one as the mechanic recommend it. Changed the complete suspension which costed 30k after 2 years of the car purchase. Another thing, this is not the IVtec engine, it has 8 sparkplugs. I sold this car off to my close friend who is still happily using this car for the past 1 year. This is really gem of a car and if taken care of properly, there are a few examples which has done 1 million kilometres without engine overhaul. I love the interiors of this car. I personally feel it looks beter than the last 2-3 generations of Citys. I used to travel very long distances without any fatigue. Me personally, I feel this is a money well spent. Not sure why it costed 95k in a private fng, but this car is almost as tough, if not tougher than the Innova. Sold it off ast the car met with an accident
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20191109173811.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20191116081943.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20191116142846.jpg  

Knighted06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 08:35   #7123
BHPian

Did a 1500 KMs trip in my Honda city VX CVT and here is the mileage details for both onward and return journey.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220925-11.56.45-am.jpeg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220928-2.35.56-pm.jpeg

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:03   #7124
BHPian

Quote:

Hello - I own a 2018 Baleno Alpha AT and a 2015 Honda City VX MT. The Baleno is a good car for short runs and Suzuki service is really convenient but the car feels out of breath on highways and lacks punch and frankly I find the seat uncomfortable for a drive of more than an hour but it is super convenient to drive in crowded areas and gives great mileage no doubt, I manage 11 with a lightfoot regularly. The City on the other hand is a bit more expensive to maintain but the interiors are much better and it is a lot more fun to drive on highways etc. and I am rarely fatigued in long drives. I would anyway recommend the City over the Baleno any day, it is a lot more car for the money.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 21:58   #7125

Hi Forum, hope you are doing well. I have got new Honda City 4tyh Gen 6 months back. Will be sharing travel logs very soon on some of the memorable trips I did recently with my white panther.

Since, this was my new car and team-bhp has many auto enthusiasts, can any one point me to the whatsapp group curated for Bangalore owners where we can discuss the issues/concerns we face with our loved cars. Also, we can plan casual drives with others and spend quality time

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks