Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-478.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by automachine (Post 5430725)
I would suggest to stick to OE brake pads if available even though they are expensive. I recently got my disc surfaced and I wanted to go for the OE brake pads however the FNG could source for Bosch brake pads only. Though they are working fine however I can feel the braking was much better with OEM brake pads.

Does it create dust or screeching sound in morning?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5431182)

There is slight screeching sound observed sometime. I had this experience earlier as well due to which I had changed to OE pads. I guess did not learn my lesson well :eek: .

I travelled in Toyota Etios Uber few days back in Pune and noticed no thud sounds when driving over small bumps. It was buttery smooth experience well opposite of my 2017 honda city:mad:. Uber driver said Etios had original suspensions and it was an old car.

Are suspension of City so bad or I should get it checked ?

Anyone with similar experience or solution adopted?

Thanks
Ashish

To choose between used Ford freestyle and New Honda City 4th gen, I would always pick Honda City. Not that ford freestyle isn't a good car but due to reasons listed below:

1. Honda City will have full shelf life, as you mentioned you intend to keep it for more than 10 years.
2. Honda City is a no non-sense car.
3. Honda City is a bigger car and offers more space
4. Honda City has good road presence.
5. Ford after leaving India, service quality has been degraded as mentioned by some Bhpians in this forum. If that's the situation now, I wonder what's going to happen in next few years. Maybe that's not the case with all service centres, but still I'll consider before placing my bet on Ford vehicle.

If you go for ford freestyle, you'll definitely save good amount while buying it compared to City and in fuel as well.

Weigh all your pros and cons and take decision accordingly. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishn (Post 5431868)
I travelled in Toyota Etios Uber few days back in Pune and noticed no thud sounds when driving over small bumps. It was buttery smooth experience well opposite of my 2017 honda city:mad:. Uber driver said Etios had original suspensions and it was an old car.

Are suspension of City so bad or I should get it checked ?

Anyone with similar experience or solution adopted?

Thanks
Ashish

Depends on the kilometres you covered in your car. Also 4th gen City had stiff suspension and a busy low speed ride when compared to rivals especially the Ciaz. Make sure no leakage is there in the suspension and if you feel your ride has deteriorated when compared to when new, you should get the same checked at ASS or a FNG.

Note: My 4th gen City had a suspension change at 90,000+ kms, due to bad ride and suspension noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 5432341)
Note: My 4th gen City has a suspension change at 90,000+ kms, due to bad ride and suspension noise.

My car has run around 30000 kms so far so not much. Will have to definitely get it checked during next service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishn (Post 5431868)
I travelled in Toyota Etios Uber few days back in Pune and noticed no thud sounds when driving over small bumps. It was buttery smooth experience well opposite of my 2017 honda city:mad:.

Every time I use an airport cab (Etios), I get the same feeling. I have a 2019-City, so, you are not alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 5432341)
Also 4th gen City had stiff suspension and a busy low speed ride when compared to rivals especially the Ciaz.

"Busy low speed ride" -- that's a nice way to put it. With perpetual construction and general apathy of administration, the surface quality of most roads in my city is less than perfect and speeds are low - a perfect place for city's suspension to exhibit its "busy-ness" and imperfections.

Given that most city-driving in India is under such conditions, I blame Honda for misleading us customers by naming the car "City" :-)

On a more serious note, even though the car's tyres have a lot of life left, I get tempted to change to something with a soft side-wall (or even upsize by 10mm while retaining the aspect ratio, increasing the wall height). That's the only non-invasive change I can think of to make the ride better. Question is, will it actually make a difference (other than lightening my pocket by 20k+)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 5435953)
Given that most city-driving in India is under such conditions, I blame Honda for misleading us customers by naming the car "City" :-)

What they have addressed with 4th gen City suspension is 'bottoming out issue'. But they fail to find that perfect balance for a good ride quality. I have heard a lot about the 'underlying stiffness' of VW/Skoda suspensions. After driving the City for more than 1 lakh kilometres, I find my Skoda Rapid's suspension 'just perfect'. After test driving the new City, I feel the suspension is tuned more towards comfort and lost that sporty edge.

Good to know I am not alone :)

But City sucks in this department and my wife clearly unhappy and asking me to change to Etios :)

Don’t want to change tyres or suspension. Honda is already ate away lot of my money :unhappy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5408156)
Took my CVT petrol for an early morning drive to a friend's place. Decided to be gentle on accelerator and traffic was minimal.

FE came out amazing 23.8 kmpl. Astonished to see this number.

I was skeptical before buying this car as people usually said that FE would be approx 10 however overall i have been getting around 12.5 to 14 with ac in city traffic which is not bad at all considering power that this always available.

I think if i go easy on the gas pedal, ie, control the urge to floor it, I can pull off 15kmpl with City at it best on CVT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishn (Post 5436043)
Good to know I am not alone :)

But City sucks in this department and my wife clearly unhappy and asking me to change to Etios :)

Don’t want to change tyres or suspension. Honda is already ate away lot of my money :unhappy

I am also an unhappy customer of City's suspension... It throws u around on bad roads and car makes lot of suspension noise whereas on similar roads creta with more age and mileage with stock suspension just glides over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5438286)
I am also an unhappy customer of City's suspension... It throws u around on bad roads and car makes lot of suspension noise whereas on similar roads creta with more age and mileage with stock suspension just glides over.

Have you been facing issues with suspension since the time you bought City or did the suspension wear out and got worse with time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashishkel (Post 5438221)
I think if i go easy on the gas pedal, ie, control the urge to floor it, I can pull off 15kmpl with City at it best on CVT.

I have been seeing weird mileage figures (north of 20) from some people, where as the company claimed mileage is 17.4kmpl. I am not sure whether they get the same figures when calculating with the tank to tank method.

I down a manual and I drive a bit enthusiastically most of the times and get 16.1kmpl on highways with the occasional redlining and maintaining speeds between 100-115.. tank to tank and mid showed almost same figures for me.
When I tried going easy on throttle and maintaining rpms below 2.5k for around 110kms on a highway, I actually did get the company claimed 17.4kmpl and that was the highest I ever got.
In bangalore traffic, it ranges from 9-11kmpl.

Hello, our 2017 Honda City V-CVT, 40000 km, has been sounding a ‘tinkling bell’ sound almost every time it crosses 60 kph and occasionally at 40 kph. This alarm sound was never there during the first 4.5 years of ownership and has strangely started about a couple of months ago. Took it to an FNG and trying to sort it out, they disabled some speakers (for instance now the left/right indicators don’t make a tick-tick sound since they did that) but the tingling bell sound remains.
I should mention, there are no warning lights on the info cluster.
I don’t think it could be a speed warning as this is a 2017 car and like I said hasn’t happened until 2 months ago. But it does consistently make the sound each time the car crosses 60.

Any idea what it could be? Any fixes?
I tried to attach a video that illustrates this but unfortunately it appears the file size is too large.

I was able to find the solution to my problem described in the previous post, thanks to some digging on YouTube :)
There was an issue with the MMI system which was replaced under warranty last year. With the new MMI, came the updated navigation system. This nav system has some driver assist features built in, and the chimes were basically a speed warning (though I can’t imagine why it chimes at 40 and 60 kph?!).
Just go to the nav settings in the MMI, and in the driver assist options turn off sounds. That’s all there is to it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5431182)

Some updates on the above issue. The brake squealing sound was always present specifically at slow speed. I used to ignore it however during my recent drive to Ooty, the sound had become annoying due to frequent use of brakes in hilly terrain. I decided to service the brakes myself before going for change of the newly installed Bosch pads to OEM brake pads. After going through several DIY videos and information, I purchased few items online.
1)Liqui moly anti squeal paste. I have used small amount of it on back of the brake pads where brake piston make contact and at sides where brake pads sit in the brake hardware.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2) For greasing the brake caliper pins:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had gently cleaned the brake pad with a sand paper and also used Wuerth brake cleaner spray to clean all parts. The result is satisfying and the squealing sound is entirely gone away at least for now. I believe the FNG did not properly use the grease or used a cheap grease which would have melted on heat. The key here to avoid squeal is to ensure they use the correct high temperature brake grease properly especially around brake metal hardware and back of the pads.