Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-58.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakasse (Post 3372612)
After the ndtv crash test I would recommend vento over city. I am still unsure of structural rigidity in city since it is not a global car and is India/south east asia specific model.

The City is sold in Australia.
https://city.honda.com.au/

and is rated 5 stars in ANCAP (comparable to Euro NCAP).
http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=386

However, the Australian version comes with things like curtain airbags and ESP. Even so, this should not take away from the structural integrity of the Honda City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 3372585)
I am currently looking at the City, Vento & Rapid as the possible options to buy.

The Volkswagen Sales guy has sent me a comparision between Vento and the New City, indicating why Vento is a far more superior car than the new City as per Volkswagen sales. I beg to differ.

Yes, the European counter-parts score in terms of the Build Quality but do not do so well in a lot of other aspects when compared to the Japanese Counter-parts.

I wanted to share this comparision (PDF file) on Team-BHP.

Mods, please let me know or modify the post, if I have not used the correct forum for this.

Wow that's a pretty comprehensive document. Really liked it. Thanks for sharing. Noticed that it is clearly mentioned 'For Internal Communication only', which probably means the SA should not have even sent it to you. :D.

Of course, it is completely biased towards the Vento as expected and is focused on areas where the Vento is strong. I do agree with most of the things mentioned in it, especially the feature comparison. Mostly what Team-Bhp calls 'Small but significant things'.

Clever strategy to not talk about the regular 1.6 petrol which is obviously inferior to the City. I have read about Volkswagen planning to replace its engine range with TSI's. Wonder if there is any immediate plans to do it in the Vento and provide the 1.2 TSI with a manual transmission.

Interesting that they do not compare on the price. If I am not mistaken, the top variant of Vento is significantly cheaper than the City VX and also cheaper than the V. Same for the CVT vs TSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4$pd (Post 3372670)
The City is sold in Australia.
https://city.honda.com.au/

and is rated 5 stars in ANCAP (comparable to Euro NCAP)..

We were thinking the same for i10. But we were fooled. so no guarantee that Honda hasn't cut cost compromising structural integrity for India. So in the absence of clear communication from Honda on this my vote would be for vento.

Quote:

I am currently looking at the City, Vento & Rapid as the possible options to buy.

The Volkswagen Sales guy has sent me a comparision between Vento and the New City, indicating why Vento is a far more superior car than the new City as per Volkswagen sales. I beg to differ.

Yes, the European counter-parts score in terms of the Build Quality but do not do so well in a lot of other aspects when compared to the Japanese Counter-parts.

Mods, please let me know or modify the post, if I have not used the correct forum for this.

Thanks for sharing. Some valid some biased points as expected.
Noticed Team BHP logo in the "What Experts Say..." section clap:

Interesting comparison by Autocar of New City and Rapid (Vento twin) where City comes top
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-372713.aspx/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakasse (Post 3372681)
... so no guarantee that Honda hasn't cut cost compromising structural integrity for India. ...

It is possible that every manufacturer might compromise on structural integrity for vehicles sold in India, no point in doubting just Honda.

The following site has the results for India specific small cars that were tested.

http://www.behindthewheel.com.au/201...l-crash-tests/

Quoting from the above site:
The test, which involved five popular small cars – Tata Nano, Ford Figo, Suzuki-Maruti Alto 800, Hyundai i10 and Volkswagen Polo, determined ALL five models would receive a zero-star adult protection rating.
/Unquote

So one cannot just say Honda could compromize, the above site says even India specific Volkswagen has failed the test. The reality is every manufacturer takes safety for granted in India. It will not change unless the law/safety policy gets more stringent here.

Quote:

This is great and in fact to be fair to VW I think most of the points are valid.

-Their DSG automatic transmission is better than CVT
-Build quality is supreme
-Tyre configuration of 185/60 R 15 is better
-Features like One touch up/down, Pinch guard, Telescopic and Tilt steering, etc.
-Cover for wires inside boot lid
-Front and Rear cladding in City definitely looks unfinished and a cost cutting measure

I think all these and more mentioned in the attachment are valid. The key here where Honda scores over VW which understandably is not mentioned include Honda's great service, reliability and peace of mind.

Quote:

After the ndtv crash test I would recommend vento over city. I am still unsure of structural rigidity in city since it is not a global car and is India/south east asia specific model.

Germans are super strong build cars, but City is not on the poorer side either.

Honda's are famous for their safety standards, especially their structural rigidity and crumple zones, pedestrian safety features etc. City is no exception either.
This is what the Latino ncap results show of the just before version;

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-crash-test-city.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT32-P8pIkA

And this video shows how the cars fare in the crash test.
It even proves that the number of airbags has got nothing to do with a 'more safer' car tag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDLyUvUYZk

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 3372745)
It is possible that every manufacturer might compromise on structural integrity for vehicles sold in India, no point in doubting just Honda.

So one cannot just say Honda could compromize, the above site says even India specific Volkswagen has failed the test. The reality is every manufacturer takes safety for granted in India. It will not change unless the law/safety policy gets more stringent here.

But Vento [a.k.a Polo's ]body shell was stable after the crash. It received 0 rating bcoz of no airbags. With 2 airbag version [Indian specific model] it received 4 stars. So with the data available on hand, As of today, i would invest my money on Vento over the City for the safety reason alone.
I would also recommend the same to my friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas08 (Post 3372597)
Its even more evident that Volkswagen compares the iVTEC engine with the Volkswagen TSI engine and not their regular engine.lol:

This comparison is also made between Hyundai verna and honda city. It is on every sales consultant's desk at their show rooms. Frankly, I agree with some of their cost cutting indications that they have shown.

Honda should not have made the newer car seem cheap but cutting out basic aesthetics expected in a 10 lakh car.:deadhorse

Quote:

Have they tested Honda city and vento? As per my understanding only Polo tested and no honda cars.

I can not conclude the Vento is a global car hence it is better. The same was the case with i10, but see the results.

Quote:

As far as I know NDTV do not do crash tests, can you share any link where you found the above data.

Second, the CITY is based on the JAZZ/FIT which is sold worldwide and is almost on every recommended list. It is as safe as safe can be. And it is not like the India specific cars are made of paper, some addition subtraction is done but no company wants a family dead in its car on the front page. Especially the City which is not exactly a starter car, most City buyers are corporates or Business men who are more often than not in the know about vital things in a car, they might not know the technical prowess but safety, reliability and features are things they know about.

Third and I do not think these are exclusive but Safety and Reliability are two aspects which go hand in hand. Honda cars are any day more reliable than Volkswagen/Skoda. You can have a very safe car but if the damn thing does not start or safety sensors are failing or you are stranded on the highway with a family because your car has decided to shut down or it's 2 in the morning and your 1.5 year old Rapid decides to take a day off and grandfather has to be rushed to the hospital and your five year old Wagon R still cranks up in the first cycle and is up for the task, then all the above considered you start thinking what is the damn use of all that safety if the main purpose of the machine is defeated.

The above is the story of my cousin who sold his Rapid two weeks ago for 50% less than he bought and has like me booked the City Petrol.

I think we will take our chances in the City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eq24 (Post 3372903)
Second, the CITY is based on the JAZZ/FIT which is sold worldwide and is almost on every recommended list.

See the consumer report of the Jazz (2013)crash test.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...test/index.htm

:OT

One can do as much analysis as possible to try and buy the most safest and the most reliable car in the world, but when its your time its your time to go.

We all need to remember one thing that in an accident involving two cars, there is always one car who was never at fault. For accidents involving only one car, one needs to know how to avoid such incidents by driving safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eq24 (Post 3372903)

As far as I know NDTV do not do crash tests, can you share any link where you found the above data.

Second, the CITY is based on the JAZZ/FIT which is sold worldwide and is almost on every recommended list. It is as safe as safe can be. And it is not like the India specific cars are made of paper, some addition subtraction is done but no company wants a family dead in its car on the front page. Especially the City which is not exactly a starter car, most City buyers are corporates or Business men who are more often than not in the know about vital things in a car, they might not know the technical prowess but safety, reliability and features are things they know about.

Third and I do not think these are exclusive but Safety and Reliability are two aspects which go hand in hand. Honda cars are any day more reliable than Volkswagen/Skoda. You can have a very safe car but if the damn thing does not start or safety sensors are failing or you are stranded on the highway with a family because your car has decided to shut down or it's 2 in the morning and your 1.5 year old Rapid decides to take a day off and grandfather has to be rushed to the hospital and your five year old Wagon R still cranks up in the first cycle and is up for the task, then all the above considered you start thinking what is the damn use of all that safety if the main purpose of the machine is defeated.

The above is the story of my cousin who sold his Rapid two weeks ago for 50% less than he bought and has like me booked the City Petrol.

I think we will take our chances in the City.

One prescription does not suit all. Having lived my younger part of my life with European cars, now with age catching up, I am now leaning towards more reliable ones. When we are young we yearn for the best. I was ready for a couple of visits more to the garage in exchange for a safe and sturdy car. Life had a tad more value. When we get older, with less time for thrills and families to take care, we are better off with any box with wheels that take you from x to y, and do that predictably. When you get older, your worst enemy is unpredictability.

I now yearn for a day when safety and reliability converge. And please make it fast.

Guys

Any idea on the new rates after excise duty cuts.
When Honda is going to release it ?

Also any idea if any of you guys went for Golden Brown Colour and rcvd delivery ?

Cheers
Manmohan